04-02-2018 10:30 AM
5,481 ... 7677787980 ...
tools
    no need to keep my 1020 if all it is, is a camera now...no updates to official 10, no updates via insider for 10 for those of us who are running smoothly on it.
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-04-2016 08:24 AM
    I have a 535 using. Unsupported on w10m. But im smoothly running the insider program. No issues except i cant select hdr or flash in the camera. But other than that everything works smoothly. I also have a 1020 which is waiting for a screen replacement. Last time I used it, I was on the insider and I plan to update it and continue. Have you not tried the insider program? Just enjoy it. The ram on the 1020 is 1gb I think, so it could be getting an official update at a later date.
    04-04-2016 08:35 AM
    I need some convincing on whether to stick around or jump ship. I have a 1520 that I have enjoyed for the most part, but I got it primarily for the MS Office apps that were then released on the other platforms shortly after I got my 1520. From what I hear, the Office apps are better on iOS and Android than they are on Windows Phone.
    Then late last week, MS pushed 14295 to the slow ring (which I was on) and it practically bricked my 1520. Nothing worked right. After four days now, multiple hard resets, soft resets, reverting to 8.1 with the WDRT, and repeated backup restores, I finally got my 1520 operational again and back to 10586.164 where it had been stable for a while. However, in the process, I lost my text message history. It never did restore. I also found my battery draining rapidly yesterday since OneDrive decided to reupload all the photos on my SD card even thought they already had been uploaded previously.
    I'm very frustrated with MS right now and with the Build announcement that phones are not their focus at this time it leaves me little hope that Windows phone will improve like I had hoped.
    I am now thinking of going back to iPhone, or even trying out Android (and I've been avidly against Android for years due to Google tracking everything you do and selling it to advertisers). That's how frustrated I am with MS and Windows Phone right now.

So I need some convincing... should I stick it out hoping it gets better? I feel like I've been doing this ever since getting the 1520 and it keeps getting worse no matter how much I hold out hope that tomorrow will be better.
    Should I go back to iPhone. I'm not super happy with Apple since there are things in iOS that just don't work and there are no error codes to research to figure out what went wrong. You just have to deal with stuff that doesn't work right and hope that Apple fixes it eventually.
    Should I try Android? As I said above, I'm not cool with the idea of Google tracking everything I do on my phone and selling my info to advertisers. I want some sort of privacy. Additionally, EVERYONE that I have ever known that has an Android phone says the same thing... "I love my Android, but...." and then they proceed to tell of some feature or bug or frustration that they have with it.

I can deal with some issues. I can deal with not having every 3rd party app under the sun. I cannot deal with a smartphone that fails at the most basic functions: email, texting, calendar, phone calls - all of which I've had issues with on my 1520. I also want a very nice camera (like the 1520).

So what would you do? What is the lesser of the three evils right now?
    04-04-2016 09:05 AM
    I'm looking at the Nexus 5X really hard right now after the latest built caused our 640s to enter an endless reboot cycle when there was no WiFi available.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-04-2016 09:30 AM
    I need some convincing on whether to stick around or jump ship. I have a 1520 that I have enjoyed for the most part, but I got it primarily for the MS Office apps that were then released on the other platforms shortly after I got my 1520. From what I hear, the Office apps are better on iOS and Android than they are on Windows Phone.
    Then late last week, MS pushed 14295 to the slow ring (which I was on) and it practically bricked my 1520. Nothing worked right. After four days now, multiple hard resets, soft resets, reverting to 8.1 with the WDRT, and repeated backup restores, I finally got my 1520 operational again and back to 10586.164 where it had been stable for a while. However, in the process, I lost my text message history. It never did restore. I also found my battery draining rapidly yesterday since OneDrive decided to reupload all the photos on my SD card even thought they already had been uploaded previously.
    I'm very frustrated with MS right now and with the Build announcement that phones are not their focus at this time it leaves me little hope that Windows phone will improve like I had hoped.
    I am now thinking of going back to iPhone, or even trying out Android (and I've been avidly against Android for years due to Google tracking everything you do and selling it to advertisers). That's how frustrated I am with MS and Windows Phone right now.

So I need some convincing... should I stick it out hoping it gets better? I feel like I've been doing this ever since getting the 1520 and it keeps getting worse no matter how much I hold out hope that tomorrow will be better.
    Should I go back to iPhone. I'm not super happy with Apple since there are things in iOS that just don't work and there are no error codes to research to figure out what went wrong. You just have to deal with stuff that doesn't work right and hope that Apple fixes it eventually.
    Should I try Android? As I said above, I'm not cool with the idea of Google tracking everything I do on my phone and selling my info to advertisers. I want some sort of privacy. Additionally, EVERYONE that I have ever known that has an Android phone says the same thing... "I love my Android, but...." and then they proceed to tell of some feature or bug or frustration that they have with it.

I can deal with some issues. I can deal with not having every 3rd party app under the sun. I cannot deal with a smartphone that fails at the most basic functions: email, texting, calendar, phone calls - all of which I've had issues with on my 1520. I also want a very nice camera (like the 1520).

So what would you do? What is the lesser of the three evils right now?
    I wonder what issues you have had with iOS? It could be worth a try to try out a Nexus phone, such as the 5x or 6p too. It would also help me if you shared these issues that you have been having. It's not worth it to have a phone that frustrates you. There are too many choices out here to be dealing with that.
    04-04-2016 09:40 AM
    I'm in the same boat as you, brother! After years of truly believing things are getting better (from WM6 to last builds of 10), I got fed up and jumped ship to Android. Awful primitive OS, but works and has all the apps in the world with some pretty nice hardware too. I landed exactly in your price range with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, a pretty decent bit of kit with an unbeatable price. There's also the Meizu MX5, which is gorgeous, for the same kind of cash. So I put a Lumia 920 on the shelf for the times I need to remind myself where I've been and enjoy 4000mAh battery life and a very responsive OS, unlike the battery drain sluggish abomination which W10 has become lately. A good concept, but very poorly done.

Excellent choice, I will soon order the Redmi 3 (5.5' is a little too big for med) and my 920 goes in the drawer. My wife imported the Redmi Note 2 six months ago and it runs like a dream.
    04-04-2016 09:49 AM
    Have to say it: I left my windows phone behind a few weeks ago now, and honestly, there is very little I miss. I was a strong windows phone proponent for years, and always figured it would get better, but by the end of last year, had had enough. I always liked the operating system and the general feel of the system - and still do. The lack of an upgrade path to 10 on my device was also an issue - particularly since we were told it would be available, and it would be the solution to many of our problems... When I got my device, it was at the midpoint of its cycle, and the only real device to replace it was a 950 - and to be honest - was completely underwhelmed with it.

What killed it was the obvious application gap. For every app the I used on the windows phone (the ones that were left anyways), I've either found better ones on my android phone, or the app I used before works much better. Haven't found one yet that makes me wish I kept my windows phone. The telling ones are the microsoft apps - they all look better and work better on my new non-windows phone.

There are little things that I miss, and a lot of things that are different - not better or worse, but different. I'll get used to all that. I've often found myself asking why I resisted so long - and am very happy now that i switched away. Oh well...
    04-04-2016 09:55 AM
    I wonder what issues you have had with iOS? It could be worth a try to try out a Nexus phone, such as the 5x or 6p too. It would also help me if you shared these issues that you have been having. It's not worth it to have a phone that frustrates you. There are too many choices out here to be dealing with that.
    A lot of the issues with iOS were the result of trying to sync content between multple iDevices in our household with multiple accounts. Apple doesn't make it easy to share apps, music, etc among household members. They tried to with 'family sharing' but that was a disaster. Also, one of my biggest issues was the photo stream backup. When I take a pic, I want it almost immediately uploaded to the cloud and downloaded to my computer. However, since my computer is a windows machine, their icloud photo stuff never worked right. It would just quit completely with no indication and I would have to uninstall and reinstall to get it working again. As such, I ended up losing pictures because I expected them to have been backed up to photo stream but they weren't. I also tried using onedrive on the iphone briefly, but it had issues too. For starters, it wouldn't run in the background. It HAD to be opened to upload the pics. I understand that was an apple limitation on what apps can do in the background.

I can do without family sharing but I do need a reliable way to automatically upload and back up my photos. I know there were other issues too, but I don't remember off-hand what they were. That was nearly two years ago that I last had an iPhone so a lot of the frustrations have faded.
    04-04-2016 10:09 AM
    I have to say onedrive works a treat on iphone. I too have sadly ditch my 950 xl for a an Iphone 6s. It really is disgusting to see all the MS apps are far better on iOS than they are on their own phone. I will miss my tiles but for me the waiting was too much. Maybe MS will get it sorted and in a couple of years windows phone will be great. I really do think out of all the platforms it has the best potential to be something everyone wants. But until the app gap is fixed and the iron out all the bugs out of 10 it does not stand a chance.
    04-04-2016 11:31 AM
    I got a Lumia 640XL 6 months ago, convinced Wm10 would be good. Boy, do I regret it... Next phone will be an android, no more of this crap
    04-04-2016 12:12 PM
    I went from an LG Quantum to Nokia Lumia 920 to Nokia Lumia Icon and now have a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. It took forever for me to come to terms with leaving WP. I have 4 devices that are MS and I jumped ship once everyone of them became obsolete. My Xbox 360 is now outdated by the One so new and desired games like Quantum Break and FFXV can only be played on it. My Sony vaio pc doesn't not work well at all with windows 10. My tablet is the rare Nokia Lumia table which runs Windows RT and will not receive W10. And lastly my wonderful NL Icon on Verizon, Nuff said.
    I enjoyed being the underdog and watched as WP matured into an incredible OS. I still prefer it to Android and IOS. But my turning point came down to the "just wait something better's coming" approach MS took. With each of my device in my home I have to purchase new hardware just to enjoy the new windows 10 experience. For years, fan boys like myself had to wait for something and even when that "something" came it was never as good as what I was expecting. Verizon is expensive and I enjoy the 30 gigs of data I get at the price of 15 gigs. I decided that if I was going to be spending my hard earned money then I wanted the best phone experience. For months I read the forums here listening to fellow fan boys speak their peace about MS and windows phone. After going to Samsung galaxy note, I haven't had a problem with the phone yet. The s-pen works well with MS apps like one note and word. One drive is great and it angers me that MS apps work better on other platforms than they do on WP. I wont listen to MS lies any more. IMO, MS even created an acceptable way to release a new OS without completing it, under the guise of "work in progress" with words like "beta" and "build." That's crap for your fans. If we spend the money on the hardware, give us a finished, polished experience that other OS are offering. The developers are not particularly lining up to produce apps for Windows 10.
    In the end if WP matures I will be one of the first to go back but I realized something I heard someone say on this very forum, "I didn't leave MS and windows, they left me."
    04-04-2016 12:29 PM
    In short now that they openly said they'll ditch WM another year I'm out for now.
    04-04-2016 01:30 PM
    I made a promise to my family..... If we are to dump the phone, we will dump the entire ecosystem. After all, cohesion is the reason why they all exist. We have not upgraded any hardware in the past 2 years except for our phones. Its a matter of time that we give up on MS completely. WM10 has become a joke, more than a year and its still bad, same goes for the desktop OS.
    04-04-2016 03:27 PM
    I like the desktop OS, but not the phone.
    GMC262 likes this.
    04-04-2016 03:33 PM
    I made a promise to my family..... If we are to dump the phone, we will dump the entire ecosystem. After all, cohesion is the reason why they all exist. We have not upgraded any hardware in the past 2 years except for our phones. Its a matter of time that we give up on MS completely. WM10 has become a joke, more than a year and its still bad, same goes for the desktop OS.
    Really? You do not like Windows 10?

I get the frustration with mobile (I am there, too), but no way am I going to ditch Win10 because the phones are less than stellar. I'll switch to an iPhone, but damned if I am going to overpay for Macbooks also.
    Mark Richey and Bittah Pupil like this.
    04-04-2016 03:36 PM
    I'm leaving later this month for the S7 Edge.
    I plan to keep it 2 years then we'll see where Microsoft is...

For those who are on a budget the G4 is a decent deal at the moment. LG are selling them via Amazon UK for around 270 ($385/337EU). The camera is still one of the best available and there's some nice Leather back options.

Good luck everyone!
    04-04-2016 03:47 PM
    I made a promise to my family..... If we are to dump the phone, we will dump the entire ecosystem. After all, cohesion is the reason why they all exist.
    I would caution doing this. Did you ever hear the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."? Microsoft's services are great on iOS and Android. They do take more setup initially since they are not native, but that's a one time deal. Once they're set up, you'll wonder what the big deal was!

That said, I use both Microsoft's and Google's services; Microsoft for work and Google for personal. It is easier to keep them separate that way. I use Microsoft, Apple, and Google devices, and I have 100% cohesion with both ecosystems across all platforms. I use Windows PCs (including a Surface 3), Android tablets and phones, and iPads. Both Microsoft's and Google's services work extremely well on all those devices, with no messing around required after the initial setup.

The one caveat is that Windows Phone only offers 100% cohesion with Microsoft services. I do have one, but it is not my daily driver. I would have problems trying to access my Google services on it.

Would you plan to drop Windows desktop as well? If so, I would see this as your biggest pain point. That is, unless you do little more than browsing. For that, a Chromebook is great! An Apple computer would be OK if your required software is available, and if you can afford it.

My 2.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and chmun77 like this.
    04-04-2016 03:48 PM
    W10M is a bad joke for sure. But I do like Windows 10 on desktop. Thought I don't even install anytime much from the windows store as browser is my main working tool, but the OS is pretty stable and nice.
    04-04-2016 07:53 PM
    When I take a pic, I want it almost immediately uploaded to the cloud and downloaded to my computer.
    Wow.... Do you need such immediate actions even when outside? It will means taking up lots of data usage I guess? Just saying....
    04-04-2016 07:56 PM
    To be fair, i barely see resuming screens on my 930 after updating to W10M... i think this is mostly caused by lack of optimization from developers. Sometimes they just don't put the same effort on WP apps compared to their iOS and Android counterparts.
    I can give you that. But the keyword is: developers. And that's what killing this platform mostly. How much efforts are developers going to spend on optimizing their apps for the platform? Maybe things will be better when devs start to port iOS apps over. We shall see again.
    04-04-2016 07:59 PM
    I'm in the same boat as you, brother! After years of truly believing things are getting better (from WM6 to last builds of 10), I got fed up and jumped ship to Android. Awful primitive OS, but works and has all the apps in the world with some pretty nice hardware too. I landed exactly in your price range with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, a pretty decent bit of kit with an unbeatable price. There's also the Meizu MX5, which is gorgeous, for the same kind of cash. So I put a Lumia 920 on the shelf for the times I need to remind myself where I've been and enjoy 4000mAh battery life and a very responsive OS, unlike the battery drain sluggish abomination which W10 has become lately. A good concept, but very poorly done.
    I'm actually looking at XM Note 3 too. Well, at least it has a much more powerful CPU than Lumia 650 which is running a freaking Qualcomm Snapdragon 212 chipset in the year of 2016! Not to mention that Note 3 finger print recognition is so much better than Windows Hello.
    04-04-2016 08:03 PM
    I can give you that. But the keyword is: developers. And that's what killing this platform mostly. How much efforts are developers going to spend on optimizing their apps for the platform? Maybe things will be better when devs start to port iOS apps over. We shall see again.
    Yes, I agree! It has been an issue for a long time.
    Instagram couldn't care less about their WP app: it was abandoned since 2013. What happened recently? They made a new W10M beta app that works fine and has been getting updates. Granted, it seems to be a full port so it doesn't have Modern UI like 6tag, but it's better than no support at all. Now imagine if this happened more often from now on... Again, we can only hope.
    04-04-2016 08:17 PM
    Meh, I'm fairly OS agnostic. It's not a deciding factor for me as they all do what I need a phone to do. That's why I was okay with the Lumia 1020 being a Windows Phone. However.... without another photographer's phone down the pipe, I'll probably be switching to whoever has the best camera when my 1020 bites the dust
    04-04-2016 08:41 PM
    For those of you with an Android phone as well as a Windows Phone, can you get the OneDrive app to backup to different folders other than both going to the same camera roll?
    04-04-2016 09:00 PM
    For those of you with an Android phone as well as a Windows Phone, can you get the OneDrive app to backup to different folders other than both going to the same camera roll?
    No, unfortunately on Android, all auto-uploaded photos such as camera photos, screenshots, downloaded images, Bluetoothed photos, photos shared via chat apps, etc. go into the Camera Roll folder on your OneDrive. It's a mess, but it does auto-upload. Hopefully Microsoft changes this behavior.

On Windows phone, it's nice that camera photos and downloaded images go into two separate folders, but screenshots and photos from Whatsapp won't auto-upload, so I got to remember to manually save them to OneDrive once in a while.
    04-04-2016 10:31 PM
5,481 ... 7677787980 ...