Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: So is anyone seriously considering another platform now....?

I've started looking into alternatives for Windows. But I'm not making a switch just yet. For the time being, I'm going to see how msft will handle the 10586 TH builds (as I have my 521 on it.). At the same time I'll be getting me either a budget 640 or a Fierce XL to run official W10.

So I've not quite jumped the fence yet, but I'm definitely on it. That's why I'm looking into other mobile platforms; getting a head start if the time comes I do jump over to the 'other side'.

Fierce xl is a good windows 10 device and runs the OS well. Definitely something I'd recommend. I use my fierce xl interchangeably with my Lumia 1520 with Tmobile.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
The same thing happened to me. I bought the Samsung Ativ S Neo. I did get the 8.1 update, but that was December 2014. I'm constantly checking for updates but always get the "your phone is up to date" message. I know that phone has been left in the dust and will never see another update. I do love the ease of Windows Phone, but no updates & lack of apps is now comical. I've gone back to Android. Right now I have the Galaxy S4 which of course is another Samsung phone being left behind to die, but I got it cheap. The next one I get will be an unlocked Moto Pure X ..... will get updated directly from Google, no carrier bloat, and it works on all carriers.
Moto X Pure is good phone (I recently sold one) but they will probably be slinging out is newer model in the summer. The only drawback i found with that phone (apart from android) was the battery life. Standby was good but on screen time was around 5 hours. Not great.

pLUSpISTOL

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Microsoft Cheated Lumia Users

Well, this is ****e and has been for some time now. I'm getting an iPhone or Android next, I suggest you all do the same.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

It is rather sad to see the Microsofts apologists try to create an alternate universe where Microsoft didn't deceive its customers.

I am happy that I smelled the rat a while ago and I am free and posting this from my iPhone 6S Plus.

The 9.3 update last night with Night shift is actually quite cool.

It is sad that 20 years with Microsoft had to end lie this and I will possibly revisit the platform in a couple of years but enough with the lies already.

The best smartphone you have ever used? Don't agree as such a device hasn't been designed yet. Let's put it down to shinyitus. Everything is the best when you have only had it for a short time.

Mmmm and your point being? I don't think your opinion should hold any sway if you jumped ship. Anyways, enjoy your new device and we will see you here in a couple of years when you realise you aren't getting support.
As for MSFT apologists. Not by a long chalk. I run my own business, and you cannot afford to keep old stuff running. It is business suicide. How Many VCR or TV repair shops do you see these days? Very, very few. Why? Tech has moved on to dvd and bluray and it doesn't make sense to support / repair an older device. Especially when you factor in the price of a new device. TV's are the same. The only exception to this are cd and vinyl. Vinyl has made a huge comeback in the UK!
Apologists no, realist yes.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Don't forget the magnifying glass... 4" screen real estate is no longer enough for most punters. An interesting gamble by Apple and to be fair the pricing is reasonable (for a change)

Probably because it's full of stuff that will soon be superseded, and bingo, back to square one.
4" screen is nowhere near big enough these days. Web pages will be minute and the magnifier will be worn out! Open page, get msg lens and then have a read.

Kubanarin

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

I do find it strange how many people there are on here with years old (often low end) devices are suddenly going to go out and buy the latest greatest on another platform. All of a sudden spending big bucks on a new device is no longer an issue....what a load of old (insert your own expletive). Simply put, no OEM is going to give much love to customers who cling on to their hardware year after year expecting continued support. Most manufacturers (Apple excluded) are barely making margin if at all. They ALL want you to buy a new phone, as often a as possible and certainly not every 3 years or so.

I was originally hoping to buy a 950 but was uneasy about the path Microsoft was going.

I had a WM6.1 when they killed that (wasn't too disappointed), had a HTC Trophy and replaced it with a Lumia 800 that Microsoft killed off within 6 months. Then a Lumia 920 that I replaced with a 930.

I can afford to buy a flagship phone but the trust is gone. Investment in a mobile platform also comes with apps and services so I should just keep accepting that every couple of years my apps become obsolete and I have to buy a new device and new OS?

I am sorry but that is a comical proposition!

The reality is that I was an IT professional for 15 years working with Microsoft solutions and I had the wool pulled over my eyes - trust is powerful and can make idiots of the best of us. They got me fair and square the cheeky bastards. For the last 5 years I have moved into a different field with my own business and for now my relationship with Microsoft has changed and I am finally free and relatively platform agnostic.

I am basically fed up.

barnyr

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I also have been using a lumia 950 alongside a galaxy S5 and have galaxy S7 edge on order. The S5 is extremely frustrating. The battery lasts about 5 hours and it is so incredibly unresponsive that I can't even get the screen up to answer a call before it goes to voicemail. I am hopeful that S7 edge will solve both problems. I like the 950 better than the S5, but there are certain apps I use for work that are not available. If the S7 can last all day on a charge like the 950, I will reluctantly carry it everyday.

hedrek

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: So is anyone seriously considering another platform now....?

Sure won't help with developers. There goes 1/2 your phone user base. And with carriers dropping phone subsidies, who is going to run out and buy a $500 WM10) phone, with history like this? I think my current collection of Trophy, Lumia 928 and Surface RT is enough for this fan. When my 928 dies I'll look around, and I'll be VERY wary of Windows mobile, if it's still around then. I bought a Lumia 640 to ues to play with WM10 and can't get it to synch the main user calendar, so that's not been great either. The one good thing, the 640 showed my that ATT covereage is as good as Verizon where I live so I can dump that sorry 1/2 of my phone problems.

hedrek

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: W10M release dates? Answers inside...

Nokia Android sounds like something to wait for, or a Blackberry Passport with Android. Never IOS.

tmulhearn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Got a 950xl 2 mins ago. Currently on a nexus 6p, which is awesome, but I love the windows phone os, I keep leaving but coming back. Can't help it, it's my fav mobile os despite the app gap

hedrek

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Longtime Windows Mobile user switched to Galaxy S7

"Overall, very happy with my purchase. I love Windows Mobile versions over the years, but Microsoft has a lot of work to do. The 950?s issues were too much for such an expensive flagship. If they do release another flagship or Surface phone, all 950 users should get a hefty discount as an apology."

If there is one thing MS does not do is reach out to burnt customers with discounts, etc. Or reach out to developers with reasonable rates, etc. Must be an accounting/marketing thing - screw the few fans and developers we have, we are going after new users.

anon(730643)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I wonder what the real disappointment is. Microsoft proving not much better than the Android platform for non-Nexus phones? I have a 928 and to be frank, the preview was buggy so I'm not surprised. I left WP..saw the writing on the wall. Returned to buggy ( but running far better than I remember) Android. Go with iOS if you want the best stability.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

MSFT lies a lot and I mean a lot. They always abandon their user base as they move forward. That's why I left again and sold my 950XL it was way laggy for just about everything. I still have my 920 and it runs like butter, but the camera is broken.

Lim Zhenghong

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

Enjoy your iPhone SE when it stops getting iOS updates in 2-3 years!

for the record, iPhone 4S which was launched in 2011 is still getting iOS updates and that is more than 4years. In fact, it received iOS 9.3 updates on Day 1 of the OS update.

It has gone thru 4 major iOS updates since initial launch from iOS 5 till now iOS9.

I am not saying that each device should be getting updates for so many years. But many WP devices did not even make it pass 1 major update.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

for the record, iPhone 4S which was launched in 2011 is still getting iOS updates and that is more than 4years. In fact, it received iOS 9.3 updates on Day 1 of the OS update.

It has gone thru 4 major iOS updates since initial launch from iOS 5 till now iOS9.

I am not saying that each device should be getting updates for so many years. But many WP devices did not even make it pass 1 major update.

And how's that performance working on the 4s these days. Getting an update is great till you realize you're probably better off not updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3