02-07-2018 09:50 PM
5,457 ... 8889909192 ...
tools
    I am in the same position you were in. I have a 950XL and am being drawn back for the S7 Edge. I think the hardware in the 950 is great, but things are just a bit too clunky for me I think. The 2 things keeping me on WP are Cortana and Live Tiles, although I have seen in this thread I can do both on the S7. I think the other thing is the cost. I already shelled out $700 for the 950XL and the thought of doing it again is painful.
    Cortana isn't half bad on Android...I use it in conjunction with Google Now.
    04-18-2016 02:52 PM
    I have a question for those of you that have already made the switch to either iOS or Android (there seems to be quite a few). Why are you still hanging out in a forum for Windows Phone? I'm not asking this to be sarcastic or anything, I'm just truly curious because I can't imagine that if I moved on I would bother taking the time to still hang out here but maybe that's just me.

I come to this forum hoping to get some info on the latest workarounds, issues, or features since I'm in the Insider program but I constantly have to wade through pages and pages of complaints, whining, and general negativity to find anything useful. I'll admit that I don't get the almost morbid focus on the negative.
    04-18-2016 03:51 PM
    Thinking of leaving just to get the Panasonic Image App for my Lumix.
    04-18-2016 05:15 PM
    I'm looking at the Nexus 5X really hard right now after the latest built caused our 640s to enter an endless reboot cycle when there was no WiFi available.
    I picked up a Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL on Friday to replace my 640 that faceplanted and shattered the screen earlier that day. No ATT gophone 640 to be found. $99 for the Android version, in a Walmart StraightTalk box. Holy crap, there's APPS! And even the few apps that exist, by name anyway, for Windows Phone are 5,400% more functional on Android. So I ordered a pair Samsung Galaxies for me and the wife, and we're out. No more "soon!" when everything already exists, just not for Windows Phone users. I had the HP Jornada 540, a bunch of XDAs, the T-Mobile Wing (also a HTC), Lumia 521, 925, 635, 640, 1320 and now I'm just out because after over a decade of "soon! for sure the next time we reboot the entire ecosystem!" I just can't anymore. Done.
    garak0410 and anon(6038817) like this.
    04-18-2016 06:20 PM
    Hi Guys,
    Been a long time Reader of WCentral and this is my first post on the Forum.

Have been a Nokia user since 2000, then in 2003 I got a HP Ipaq and so my Windows "mobile" adventure started.
    I saw that HTC made a Windows phone and i jumped right on the bandwagon thinking this will be the future.
    But no one at Microsoft at that time saw that Stylus is too cumbersome for everyday use.
    After i saw that MS is going nowhere I ditched the HTC and got myself first iPhone.

I really liked iPhone with all its quirkiness at the beginning (using external GPS antenna to work with Navigon, no Bluetooth for transfering the files...) but after two costly repairs i decide to try the Android and so i got the Samsung S2.
    Good phone, nice camera, but the updates at that time were iffy and phone got slower with every update.

I was looking at first Lumias but somehow wasnt convinced by Nokia until 1520 came out.
    I got the phone right after Launch and this phone i really liked. It was huge as a brick, it had a killer screen, super camera, battery could hold out for a while.
    But the app part was starting to show ist ugly face. Coming from iOS and Android ecosystems i got used to some apps that were sorely missing on WP or had crappy WP Version - Twitter, Instagram and especially LinkedIn. Horrible app.

I started to promote WPhones to my family and friends, and so i managed to get 2 N520, a N521, a 1020 for my girl (great phone even today), 630 and couple of 640s.

And then last year on my flight to Malaysia my trusted N1520 got jibbed. All i had was my backup 520 running one of early builds of Insider W10 mobile.
    This is when my hate for W10 started. The phone wasnt bordeline unusable - it was unusable:
    it would drop the wifi after 30 seconds, black start screen, lag, restarts.

After my trip i ordered the 640, a stop gap device - cause at that time there was nothing to replace the N1520.
    Then after the first stable build of W10 1511 was up i loaded it and the phone was happily chugging along with the W10.
    And then the Redstone update came.

This was the dealbreaker for me. I know you are going to say, ist a Insider build....
    But how it f*** up my phone its on epic scale.

First my 128GB SD Card went straight away corrupt leaving me without 80% of the apps.
    The phone would try to fix it but it would faily every time.
    I can use the card without performing the scan but only after 2-3 minutes the Icons of the apps would appear.
    Then it messed up Here Drive. It couldnt Launch. Nada. All my maps on the SD card were there but the W10 would try to upload them again every time i restarted the phone.
    The phone restarted many times by itself.
    The edge crashed 10-20 times a day.
    Half of other apps were crashing - that worked before.
    Camera app would take Picture and then i couldnt see the Picture.
    Videos from whatsapp i couldnt play.
    And on and on....

I just got tired of being a Microsoft Windows Mobile Guinea pig, trying to reason with myself, oh maybe in 6 months when Universal apps get here it will be roses.

It wont.
    Microsoft took a nice concept and then ran it to the ground 4 times.
    With first Windows Phone, than WP 7/ 7.5, than 8 / 8.1 and now WP10.
    Each time messing up Faithfull users and more importantly the developers.

Ist so simple.
    You had a great phone Company - Nokia. You burned it to the ground.
    All you need is couple of low/mid/high phones ranging from 4 to 6 and not 64 Versions of same crap that is 530/532/535/540/630/635/640/730/735
    And then you have absolute gems in your Hands with N1020 and N1520 and you just blew it. I dont consider 950XL to be succesor to N1520.

And most important pay the freaking developers to develop for WP because no one is willing to develop for a platform that has 2% of the market!
    At least for "necessary" apps like Facebook, Instagram, Linked, Snapchat...

I jumped the ship and bought LG G4.
    Loaded up all the MS stuff - Outlook, Office apps, even my MS Band works flawlesly on Android. Outlook on Andorid is 10 times better than on WP. Skype just works and looks great on Android!

I was like WTF. For premium Microsoft Mobile experience i needed to get a freaking Android???

I still have 640 but ist unusable, so i will wait like with my N520 half or one year until stable Redstone W10 is out. Or maybe the MS will drop support for 640? They might ditch the WP10 all together.

Anyway long rant short, if you wanna stick with Microsoft ecosystem - just buy a descent Android.
    Last edited by hereandthere21; 04-18-2016 at 06:44 PM.
    04-18-2016 06:32 PM
    I have a question for those of you that have already made the switch to either iOS or Android (there seems to be quite a few). Why are you still hanging out in a forum for Windows Phone? I'm not asking this to be sarcastic or anything, I'm just truly curious because I can't imagine that if I moved on I would bother taking the time to still hang out here but maybe that's just me.

I come to this forum hoping to get some info on the latest workarounds, issues, or features since I'm in the Insider program but I constantly have to wade through pages and pages of complaints, whining, and general negativity to find anything useful. I'll admit that I don't get the almost morbid focus on the negative.
    I was cuz we still own three WPs (Ativ S/L1020/L830) and was just waiting for something somewhere somehow someway, my 830 was my only hope yet there doesn't seem to be any end in sight and little in the way of handsets that get my blood flowin, 2017 is too much of a wait betting things will have changed or MS will even deliver... Today I decided to go all-in on the Android front and purchased a Galaxy S7 to compliment my G4 or the other way around, time to move on and forward.
    Last edited by Elky64; 04-18-2016 at 07:11 PM.
    Guytronic, Kar98 and libra89 like this.
    04-18-2016 06:44 PM
    I have a question for those of you that have already made the switch to either iOS or Android (there seems to be quite a few). Why are you still hanging out in a forum for Windows Phone?
    Just so there's no confusion as to WHY Windows Phone has an ever decreasing market share.
    04-18-2016 07:25 PM
    Just to be clear, MS doesn't care about us the 2%. If we left, again its a financial windfall as they lose $ on every Lumia sold, see Paul Thurrott. The worst executed software beta, aka W10 Mobile, is proof of this lack of concern for existing customers, and they are not too worried about gaining new customers presently either, evidenced by zero marketing for the "flagships" 950 and 950XL. Face it, you do not matter to MS.
    04-18-2016 07:35 PM
    I have a question for those of you that have already made the switch to either iOS or Android (there seems to be quite a few). Why are you still hanging out in a forum for Windows Phone? I'm not asking this to be sarcastic or anything, I'm just truly curious because I can't imagine that if I moved on I would bother taking the time to still hang out here but maybe that's just me..
    There's many reasons. Maybe I just like tech? I hope for Windows Mobile to be great? Or at least improve enough for me to possibly return?

I can be disappointed in the state of things but still follow the forum and blog. I hope that my 640 will get the official update. I like the platform just not how it is right now.
    04-18-2016 09:34 PM
    You had a great phone Company - Nokia. You burned it to the ground.
    All you need is couple of low/mid/high phones ranging from 4 to 6 and not 64 Versions of same crap that is 530/532/535/540/630/635/640/730/735
    And then you have absolute gems in your Hands with N1020 and N1520 and you just blew it. I dont consider 950XL to be succesor to N1520.
    Perfectly said. As a die hard fan of Nokia, it angers me what MS did to a great company. They used Nokia as a gunia pig and now say it's not their priority. After failed experiement of WP7, they did it again and are still doing it. They went from WP8 to 8.1 and now W10 to redstone just in 3 years, but nothings more than changing OS numbers. Now W10 has become almost skinned android wih limited functionality. What they brag is continum, which itself is imperfect, already invented by Nokia long ago. Just a fancy name, nothing more. No one is talking about basic features, system stability, better app experience (atleast for whatever are available). Then why did not they study android beforehand and made it similar from the start? Atleast similar to symbian.

Edge is a big joke. Most of the webpages open with some error or rendered incorectly. They already had IE which is far evolved, why did they not improved it with whatever they claim edge has? Why scratch completely it, start afreash every time and ruin everyhing? Now IE is not getting any better, edge is a crap, users are left with nothing. But Android is still with Chrome for so manny years and making it better bit by bit everyime. They need not invent new browser but changed whatever damn codes and it works great.

Same with OS, Android is Still Android with version they keep on improvising. But with MS everytime...start something new, experiment with itfor sometime, leave it die for something new again. It keeps on repeating. Ultimately users suffer. Worst part is, they never finish what they start. They leave it half baked.
    04-18-2016 10:59 PM

This site is called Windows central not Windows Phone Central. I may no longer use windows phone but I or my immediate family still have 3 laptops, 1 2 in 1, 1 desktop, Xbox One and 1 Band. My wife & I use Windows 10 at work & several MS apps.
    04-18-2016 11:19 PM
    as someone who just left big red that maybe so. our old Verizon phones work on att but don't have the lte bands for att. you also can't just buy any phone put your sim in and have it work, Verizon has you on lockdown. there's a reason many oem's don't add cdma radios or are compatible with Verizon, Verizon wants to control everything with your phone.
    Verizon phones are required to be unlocked and have some but not all LTE AT&T bands, but I really don't care, it works great for me & my needs. Plus LTE is not GSM & all carriers are moving to 100% LTE & VoLTE and will stop using their old GSM & CDMA networks & refarm them to LTE. http://gsacom.com/wp-content/uploads...LTE_report.pdf

As I said before all carriers will be switching to VoLTE in the very near future and all phones will work where ever as the big 3 US carriers already have agreements in place. All Verizon phones from the past 1 1/2 years are VoLTE compatible and will work on AT&T & TMO & Sprints VoLTE networks.

I've said in other posts, it's just a damn phone not my identity, it's a communications tool made by a company that I have no personal stake in, zero. Nor any other company or service "winning or losing" & don't feel the need to put others down to make myself feel better about the *&$% phone, computer, gaming console, car or any other product I use. It's like people who when their favorite sports team wins, say "we won" like you had some part in the team actually winning..... If you like WP10 & it works for you, awesome, good for you, if it doesn't & android or IOS works for you awesome, good for you. I swear these boards are like high school boys ******* matches sometimes. The funny thing is, in the grand scheme of life, NO ONE CARES & none of this matters at all.....
    Last edited by Robinsonmac; 04-19-2016 at 12:00 AM.
    04-18-2016 11:46 PM
    The funny thing is, in the grand scheme of life, NO ONE CARES & none of this matters at all.....
    In grand scheme of life, even us dont matter. So what, we should live a vegetative life?
    Ofcourse all carriers will move towards VoLT. But it will take years for developing and undeveloped countries. While VoLT reches to every single corner of world, developed countries will have something new to brag about. Things keep changing. That does not mean there should not be such boards, no discussions, no arguments.
    04-19-2016 04:52 AM
    I'll just say this,if Microsoft doesn't fixes all the major bugs in W10 then i might leave Windows platform! Because from loving my phone i soon might start to hate it...
    04-19-2016 05:24 AM
    Seems like Android offers all features of WP aka W10M. If I switch I gain a world of apps and features and lose live tiles? That's it ? What else does W10M offer over Android?
    libra89 likes this.
    04-19-2016 06:53 AM

Desperation and a love of WP for me. I so want to get a WP again but as I stated in my earlier post I have no options on Sprint. If nothing hits very soon I will probably commit myself to Android
    Last edited by thekonger; 04-19-2016 at 09:16 AM.
    04-19-2016 07:20 AM

Also, I think the reason many of whine and complain is we're hoping MS hears our voices and does something to get WP back on track. It's such a great OS but it's slowly being killed by MS. Sorry if you have to wade through pages of our whining but if things continue to go south for WP you may not have to for much longer; there won't be any forum left and you will have moved to Android or (lord help you) iOS. I watched the BB forums and saw a similar fate occur there; people whining, people complaining about the whiners, and then, no more BB. Problem solved I guess.
    04-19-2016 09:21 AM
    Seems like Android offers all features of WP aka W10M. If I switch I gain a world of apps and features and lose live tiles? That's it ? What else does W10M offer over Android?
    You're not even going to lose the live tiles.

http://i.imgur.com/AD37ZIy.png

ad37ziy.png

Android has "widgets" that do the same and more.
    04-19-2016 11:09 AM
    You're not even going to lose the live tiles.

http://i.imgur.com/AD37ZIy.png

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AD37ZIy.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	487.3 KB 
ID:	125312

Android has "widgets" that do the same and more.
    .... and your phone screen will quickly start to look like puked.
    Live tiles are simple, elegant and well ordered on screen.

Android is just a small, free, hollow OS which quickly becomes laggy and unuseable even on powerful devices. Not to mention the fragmentation of its "ecosystem".
    Pranjal Patowary likes this.
    04-19-2016 11:18 AM
    Also, I think the reason many of whine and complain is we're hoping MS hears our voices and does something to get WP back on track. It's such a great OS but it's slowly being killed by MS. Sorry if you have to wade through pages of our whining but if things continue to go south for WP you may not have to for much longer; there won't be any forum left and you will have moved to Android or (lord help you) iOS. I watched the BB forums and saw a similar fate occur there; people whining, people complaining about the whiners, and then, no more BB. Problem solved I guess.
    You make some very valid points but try and put yourself in the shoes of someone at Microsoft who is responsible for Windows 10 Mobile or the phones for a minute. I'm in charge of a large development team so I often think about this. Now think about what the vast majority of posts look like that you see on this forum and others like it. Do you think they are helpful? Do they provide meaningful information that a developer could use to fix problems? Granted there are a few folks here who do go the extra mile to outline what steps they have done to replicate problems but most of what you see is "Windows sucks", "nothing works", "Microsoft are idiots", etc, etc, etc. Imagine if you had to wade through all that crud just to get a few things that could help you make the product better. You wouldn't be too motivated by it and you might even give up and try and find the problems yourself but we know that isn't as effective as a larger beta test.

I sometimes laugh when I see posts that outline major lists of issues that someone is saying they have on the exact same phone I have and the exact same build when all I have experienced is minor annoyances. You just can't help but think that there is something they have done differently on their device than you have that is causing the issue. The thing is, if they calmed down for a minute and thought about it and perhaps reached out for help instead of whining and complaining they might actually get meaningful help.

Beta testing is not for the faint-hearted and definitely not for those who don't want to invest the proper effort to eliminate variables and re-test over and over again. I'm not trying to say that Microsoft is perfect in this but we could collectively be doing a lot more to help them make the platform the best it can possibly be. Otherwise I'm afraid that we will end up following BB into the tech graveyard and that will be a sad day indeed.
    11B1P and groady-ho baluzy like this.
    04-19-2016 11:22 AM
    Live tiles are simple, elegant and well ordered on screen.
    And half the time they quit working, i.e. weather, photos, e-mail, calendar, and just show the app icon instead of information.

Android is just a small, free, hollow OS which quickly becomes laggy and unuseable even on powerful devices.
    That's just a small, free, hollow post. I'd have stayed with Windows in my pocket happily ever after if Microsoft would have cared about it one single bit.
    DJCBS and CGA111 like this.
    04-19-2016 11:56 AM
    You make some very valid points but try and put yourself in the shoes of someone at Microsoft who is responsible for Windows 10 Mobile or the phones for a minute. I'm in charge of a large development team so I often think about this. Now think about what the vast majority of posts look like that you see on this forum and others like it. Do you think they are helpful? Do they provide meaningful information that a developer could use to fix problems? Granted there are a few folks here who do go the extra mile to outline what steps they have done to replicate problems but most of what you see is "Windows sucks", "nothing works", "Microsoft are idiots", etc, etc, etc. Imagine if you had to wade through all that crud just to get a few things that could help you make the product better. You wouldn't be too motivated by it and you might even give up and try and find the problems yourself but we know that isn't as effective as a larger beta test.

I sometimes laugh when I see posts that outline major lists of issues that someone is saying they have on the exact same phone I have and the exact same build when all I have experienced is minor annoyances. You just can't help but think that there is something they have done differently on their device than you have that is causing the issue. The thing is, if they calmed down for a minute and thought about it and perhaps reached out for help instead of whining and complaining they might actually get meaningful help.

Beta testing is not for the faint-hearted and definitely not for those who don't want to invest the proper effort to eliminate variables and re-test over and over again. I'm not trying to say that Microsoft is perfect in this but we could collectively be doing a lot more to help them make the platform the best it can possibly be. Otherwise I'm afraid that we will end up following BB into the tech graveyard and that will be a sad day indeed.
    Pete,

I'm also a developer and have been on and in charge of various teams, but I'm not hoping the developers see my concerns here, they have better things to do, like program. My concern is I can't find a WP anywhere. I hope someone at MS who can make some decisions sees it and recognizes they aren't competing in the race if they don't even show up at the starting line on race day. Like I said, no options means I have no choice but to get another Android device.

As for beta-testing, bugs, etc, I think MS has plenty of avenues to get valid information there, but if you're hoping to stop people from venting their frustration in an online forum then good luck with that; if you lock down or block comments it's not really a forum anymore anyway.

Having a 'quit whining' attitude is at certain times justified, but for WP faithful who have been here for years clamoring for changes while WP shares plummet it is more than justified.
    theefman likes this.
    04-19-2016 12:02 PM
    For people to help, MS should atleast show some consistency in their approach. It seems they are still confused about their target. Initially it was mobile first, now cloud first, and they say mobile is not their focus this year. What message does is spread in users? For beta testing, what happend to all insiders who actually helped build and improve W10m?
    04-19-2016 12:02 PM
    I still come here because I still like Windows Phone (at least 8.1, which all three of the Nokia Lumia phones I own still run on), and I also have a Windows 7 laptop. I've always enjoyed this website/forum as well and will continue to visit both, even though I switched back to iPhone in late September. I've even been thinking lately of maybe getting the Alcatel Windows 10 Mobile phone T-Mobile is carrying to see what Windows 10 is all about.
    04-19-2016 12:20 PM
    I have come here after microsoft refused to give win10 update on many devices to see what other people are thinking. I've see that people still try to defend microsoft after so many fiascos.
    04-19-2016 12:23 PM
5,457 ... 8889909192 ...