Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Another update:

*I've been playing with the Outlook app in Android, and I've managed to make it workable for my company's exchange account and my outlook.com personal account. It's still nowhere as good as Outlook on Windows Mobile, particularly the calendar, but it's good enough that I feel confident that I'm not missing anything important. It won't sync up with the main Google calendar, but I can live with everything being in the Outlook app. I'm still trying to get notifications running the way it should. I still run my gmail account trough the gmail app and my Yahoo email (mostly junk) through the Yahoo Mail app.

*I've also been playing with Scan for Google Drive, and I have to say I like it better than Office Lens (which I like a lot). Scan makes it it easy to crop, select color or B&W, and name the pdfs. Plus I never understood why my scans had go into OneNote as opposed to OneDrive. I use Office Lens mostly for travel expenses, and getting the PDFs out of OneNote was a pain.

*Office apps (Word, Excel, PP) seem to run pretty well on Android, and I like that I can log in with my work Office 365 account or my personal outlook.com account. It's also nice that all of the MS apps can be shifted over to the SD card.

*Finally, I continue to be impressed with how smoothly the ZTE runs. I won't keep it long-term, but it's vastly exceeded my expectations.

Ntokozo Mkhize

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a L640 and I'm thinking of switching. I'm tired of my girlfriend(she does it a lot) and friends suggesting apps and I have to say "Oh my phone is not supported". The only person I know in a group of friends who uses a WPhone device(1520) just bought a Galaxy S7 today and so jealous. :unhappy:

BJBen

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had a Windows Phone since it was Windows Mobile (so 10+ years), went through tons of phones HTC Tilt, HD7, Dell Venue Pro, Lumia 900, 920, 930 and then 950. I was really excited about the 950, too, but after using it for about 2 months, I had to revert back to my 930.

First off, the lack of apps did end up being annoying. Worst is that the apps I needed were at one point were all available, but then they were pulled (two big ones that I use almost daily include Bank of America and American Airlines). But the real problem were all the issues. Battery some days would last only a few hours. Things would crash all the time. The battery wouldn't charge properly on a wireless charger. Hotspot wouldn't work. Messages wouldn't send. And since I used this phone primarily for work, this was all just unacceptable. I did hard resets, and even an exchange to see if anything would help, and nothing.

So, about 3 weeks ago I picked up a Samsung S7 Edge, and so far, it's been much better overall. The battery lasts MUCH longer (at the end of the day, after heavy use, I'm usually at 55%, whereas I'd have to plug my 950 in during the day or it would die by the evening). Every app is there, and things just work. I've restarted the phone once since I got it, and have never experienced any noticeable lag.

I definitely miss a few WP features, like the layout, which I think is much more unique and intuitive, but even as a fan, I really think MS has bungled this one.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I already switch back and forth from iOS and Windows mobile. For my use on these devices I'm good to go either way. I like both systems a lot. ... And just week I seriously considered getting a Nexus device --- ... never have used anything android --- ... most everyone I know has an android system phone but I just, for whatever reason, wasn't really drawn to use one. The android system seems to have SO many ways to customize. My goodness I think I'd spend waaay too much time fiddling with one to get it to my liking --- but then I really don't know. I just have to play with one a while to really find out.
So anyways at the moment I'm perfectly content using both my iPhone and Windows phone(s). ..... But there is this dang nagging --- tapping my back saying "Try meeeee, try meeeee" lol

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I already switch back and forth from iOS and Windows mobile. For my use on these devices I'm good to go either way. I like both systems a lot. ... And just week I seriously considered getting a Nexus device --- ... never have used anything android --- ... most everyone I know has an android system phone but I just, for whatever reason, wasn't really drawn to use one. The android system seems to have SO many ways to customize. My goodness I think I'd spend waaay too much time fiddling with one to get it to my liking --- but then I really don't know. I just have to play with one a while to really find out.
So anyways at the moment I'm perfectly content using both my iPhone and Windows phone(s). ..... But there is this dang nagging --- tapping my back saying "Try meeeee, try meeeee" lol
I second the 5x suggestion if you wanted to try it. It already uses a nanosim so that's a easy switcheroo.

I highly recommend the Nexus 5x for those who want to try Android with no commitments. It's been fantastic for me.
I agree, I tried Android with the 5x and it was a solid experience. I don't regret the experience or the phone. B&H has a great 30 day return policy. I only returned the phone because I found Android to be too complex and I desire a simpler phone experience.

TimboNJ

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a L640 and I'm thinking of switching. I'm tired of my girlfriend(she does it a lot) and friends suggesting apps and I have to say "Oh my phone is not supported". The only person I know in a group of friends who uses a WPhone device(1520) just bought a Galaxy S7 today and so jealous. :unhappy:

I just ordered a Galaxy S5 to miss around with. It's getting the Marshmallow update so I'd thought I'd give it a shot.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Whaouu, there are as been a lot of negative talk on those 73 pages thread. I must admit being surprised by how many people think that grass is universally greener elsewhere.
I have been an iOS user myself until the iPhone 4S and iPad 2. Then I switched to Windows Phone (the 920, what a great device at the time).
But I always stay up-to-date as my wife had always an iPhone (iPhone 6 for the time being) and an iPad (iPad Air 2).
So I know exactly how iOS is working and I must admit being surprised by some of the poster making it out to be a far superior device or being condescendant about us, poor Windows mobile user.
Make no mistake, iOS has a great portfolio of applications, that is for sure. But since W8 days, Windows mobile as much (MUCH) more applications and much better one. I am surprised that people were able to live with the app deficiency then but not anymore today where there are much smaller gap as before.

Also, Windows phone still is an happy medium, offering for me the best of both world :
  • it has the great upgrade support, simplicity of use, universal interface accross all phone that you find on iOS
  • and it has some of the flexibility of Android and hardware wide choice

My nefew has a OnePlus phone ... which is still on KitKat ! Only 2% of phone have Marshmallow and only 35% Lollipop. So while Android hardware are nice, you do not have timely upgrade because every manufacturer feels entitled to add their own bloatware and UI changes for the sake of it.
And for people switching to the iPhone, I think you have to have some courage to stomach purchasing 970€ (here in Europe) for a phone that has no wireless charging, no quick charging, a small screen compared to its footprint (and not as good as the 950), a poor camera without hardware button to launch, no double SIM, no extension possible.

And while Android and iOS have more / better apps in total, Windows 10 mobile have plenty and even some gems and nice application.
But the most important is that it remains the mobile OS that integrates best with Windows PC / laptop which are ... 93% of the users !
Synchronization of bookmarks, reading list, settings, sending SMS from the PC, Cortana, OneDrive (even if I have OneDrive on iOS, I have to launch it regularly to have the pictures backed-up otherwise it is killed in the background), one store where you pay once the application and have them, with the same UI on all your devices...

I mean, there are also a lot to love about W10 mobile and which is unique or as good and seamless as what you can have between an iOS and Mac hardware. And there is still nothing like the Surface Pro (or Surface Book) on Apple side (or Google one).

Last point : while my 950 has been very buggy at the beginning, it is now (since January at least) absolutely rock solid. This thing work. I have also changed the back to a Mozo leather brown cover casing that give it a very premium look while keeping thickness minimum because it does not come on top of the phone.

All in all, I can understand people switching from a 50$ Lumia 520 to a 1000$ iPhone 6 and being impressed. But for me, I have absolutely 0 envy at all toward the iPhone 6 of my wife (well, it is not true, I envy one thing : extension support in Safari with LastPass working with the TouchID, that is really sweet !).

While I would like to agree with you, but being a user of all OSes - Android, iOS and Windows phone, the grass is INDEED greener on Android and iOS.

You touched on apps. But till today, telcos in my region have yet to create any related apps for windows phone. Neither the banking services, food, or other services out there are creating apps for windows phone. What I see are apps available only on Google Play and Apple App Store. Nothing for Windows stores at all. Yes, perhaps there are some nice gems and nice apps but those are mostly 3rd party ones. Users from iOS / Android don't even know what the heck is 6tag, or 6tin, Tubecast, MyTube, etc etc. To them, these looks like some alien apps which they don't even want to try. Official ones like Instragam, Facebook, Messenger, etc all are much like thrash.

You mentioned your OnePlus phone is still running KitKat. But I bet you still get to enjoy the latest updates for apps like Facebook, Messenger, etc promptly? On the other hand, WP8.x users are now stuck with the outdated OS, never going to enjoy or see the new UWP apps going forward. They will not be able to enjoy the new Facebook, Messenger, etc etc which are built for W10. Do you now see how bad the situation is for those WP8x users as compared to your "outdated" KitKat??

iPhone - no wireless charging, no quick charging, a small screen compared to its footprint (and not as good as the 950), a poor camera without hardware button to launch, no double SIM, no extension possible. But so what? I'm not hearing iPhone users complaining about any of these missing features. To them, apps support and prompt OS updates are the most importantly factors. Whatsapp on iOS and Android now already supporting the new text styles while the WP version has not. In other words, using an iPhone just works! At the very least, iPhone users do not need to look for 3rd party apps in order to enjoy the phone. No doubt 950 has excellent hardware but beside that, it is just like an empty shell without good proper apps support and updates.

People switching from a 50$ Lumia 520 to a 1000$ iPhone 6 are being impressed for sure. So are those who upgraded to better Android like S7 or V10, or the upcoming G5. Even a budgeted Xiaomi Note 3 will be a better upgrade than using windows phone. Developers leveraged TouchID to their apps but do you see W10 developers leveraging Windows Hello for their apps? No.

Bottom line: Yes, the grass is really really much greener on Android and iOS. Perhaps you should also leave this "no longer in focus by Microsoft" platform as well.

Cygnific

May 12, 2015
Visit site
I really liked my 640 with Windows 10 but decided to go back to Android. I now have a Galaxy S6 with android 6.0.1 and i'm glad I did. No more frustration about app's not comming or being removed (energy, cable provider, pc tools etc.) that are made primarily for my (small) country. It's a shame because Windows 10 is really nice.

Last edited:

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Now that I have been using the iPhone 6S Plus for a few hours, I miss my 950 XL... Like I'm having major buyer's remorse right now... I'll give this phone a week and if I still regret the purchase, I'll go back to 950 XL.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Whaouu, there are as been a lot of negative talk on those 73 pages thread. I must admit being surprised by how many people think that grass is universally greener elsewhere.
I have been an iOS user myself until the iPhone 4S and iPad 2. Then I switched to Windows Phone (the 920, what a great device at the time).
But I always stay up-to-date as my wife had always an iPhone (iPhone 6 for the time being) and an iPad (iPad Air 2).
So I know exactly how iOS is working and I must admit being surprised by some of the poster making it out to be a far superior device or being condescendant about us, poor Windows mobile user.
Make no mistake, iOS has a great portfolio of applications, that is for sure. But since W8 days, Windows mobile as much (MUCH) more applications and much better one. I am surprised that people were able to live with the app deficiency then but not anymore today where there are much smaller gap as before.

Also, Windows phone still is an happy medium, offering for me the best of both world :
  • it has the great upgrade support, simplicity of use, universal interface accross all phone that you find on iOS
  • and it has some of the flexibility of Android and hardware wide choice

My nefew has a OnePlus phone ... which is still on KitKat ! Only 2% of phone have Marshmallow and only 35% Lollipop. So while Android hardware are nice, you do not have timely upgrade because every manufacturer feels entitled to add their own bloatware and UI changes for the sake of it.
And for people switching to the iPhone, I think you have to have some courage to stomach purchasing 970€ (here in Europe) for a phone that has no wireless charging, no quick charging, a small screen compared to its footprint (and not as good as the 950), a poor camera without hardware button to launch, no double SIM, no extension possible.

And while Android and iOS have more / better apps in total, Windows 10 mobile have plenty and even some gems and nice application.
But the most important is that it remains the mobile OS that integrates best with Windows PC / laptop which are ... 93% of the users !
Synchronization of bookmarks, reading list, settings, sending SMS from the PC, Cortana, OneDrive (even if I have OneDrive on iOS, I have to launch it regularly to have the pictures backed-up otherwise it is killed in the background), one store where you pay once the application and have them, with the same UI on all your devices...

I mean, there are also a lot to love about W10 mobile and which is unique or as good and seamless as what you can have between an iOS and Mac hardware. And there is still nothing like the Surface Pro (or Surface Book) on Apple side (or Google one).

Last point : while my 950 has been very buggy at the beginning, it is now (since January at least) absolutely rock solid. This thing work. I have also changed the back to a Mozo leather brown cover casing that give it a very premium look while keeping thickness minimum because it does not come on top of the phone.

All in all, I can understand people switching from a 50$ Lumia 520 to a 1000$ iPhone 6 and being impressed. But for me, I have absolutely 0 envy at all toward the iPhone 6 of my wife (well, it is not true, I envy one thing : extension support in Safari with LastPass working with the TouchID, that is really sweet !).

Unfortunately all of your advantages about Windows integration disappeared yesterday & today with announcements at build. MS plans to fully integrate all their existing & new services & features like the new Cortana capabilities, Bots, etc into Android & IOS. IF you watched any of the sessions & the Keynote they are 100% fully going where their customers are & 98.4% of them are on Android & IOS. DO you comprehend that number 98.4% it would be reckless & foolish for them as a business not to. Put emotions & your personal likes aside & look at it from a business point of view. 98.4% of your customers DO NOT use your own phones or mobile OS.

I think their new strategy is brilliant, blanket every facet of the tech & related industres with Windows 10, MS apps & services. Invent new platforms & make it work on ANY device. Work with &/or partner with any company to further Windows 10 & MS services reach. Open source &/or provide key tools for free to gain developer adoption. I predict in 2 - 3 years Windows 10 & MS Services & platforms will be so prevalent that there won't be a device, app or service that won't be somehow tied to a MS platform, app or service. The phone war is over MS is already changing the mobile paradigm so the device or OS running their apps, services or platforms wont matter.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
With the loss of mix radio and apps being loss with windows 10 mobile and here maps/drive shutting down. The fun experience with windows phone 7 and 8, now Windows 10 going through a rough phase. I may have to switch to Android

jlabelle

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I understand where you are coming from here. I do agree that it is annoying that there's something in the iPhone and it's suddenly great, I think that's dumb.

I personally am indifferent on screen sizes, the phone has to be small for me, so I am probably the worst person to talk here. All of your other points are solid though, I just enjoy how iOS just works.

Good answer and again, for the record, the iPhone is a terrific device. It is robust, reliable, well built, offer an hardware which is solid in most areas with no big drawback (aside from lack of features compared to the competition) and the UI is straightforward (albeit boring I found) and you can be sure to have long support without fancy things to do.
So I am not blind to that but I just would wish sometimes that people "on the other side" would be also more open and do not treat us (Windows or Windows phone users) as dumb or with low requirement compared to their elitist needs.
All plateforms (and this is valid obviously for Android as well) have strength and weakness. And for me, Windows phone have also strength so it is not like Android or iOS are better for everything.

Beside, I think competition is good. We all benefit from that and I would be really sad if Windows phone would disappear and I would have to settle with an iPhone or Android flagships.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
How come? I think you should be kinda happy when you buy a new phone. Never used an iPhone (or want one) so I can't judge.

It's like breaking up with your long term girlfriend mutually because you lost that spark and feeling. Change is good though.

Sam_93

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I jumped the ship to Android. And I dont have to look for replacement apps any-more. Apps get updated regularly. And no more 'Resuming" screen. And please Windows Mobile is dead . It had long been with the sale of Nokia. Only one thing left.You have to accept windows mobile has its own fair share of problems.Microsoft can make their own version of Android now, customize them just like Blackberry is doing outta there. Otherwise Windows mobile will remain outta focus . MS just applied a blur filter over W10M literally .blur.jpg

koffiejunk

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Jumped ship to android. Only thing i miss is the homescreen with live tiles.
For the rest everything is better on android... After 3 windows phones i have given up on it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss