04-02-2018 10:30 AM
5,481 ... 979899100101 ...
tools
    Whether you want to stay with Windows 10 Mobile is up to you. Your best option is to get whatever device would best suit your needs now.
    Truth be told what I'm really looking for is good reasons to stay - I like W10M as it is. I jumped on the platform with WP7 because I really do find the live tiles extremely useful, and I like the distinct look.

However, with everything happening (or not happening) around Microsoft and mobile, the question of viability is there for me... especially considering a lot of high-profile fans of WP/W10M have already jumped ship.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-11-2016 11:24 AM
    Truth be told what I'm really looking for is good reasons to stay - I like W10M as it is. I jumped on the platform with WP7 because I really do find the live tiles extremely useful, and I like the distinct look.

However, with everything happening (or not happening) around Microsoft and mobile, the question of viability is there for me... especially considering a lot of high-profile fans of WP/W10M have already jumped ship.
    Who is considered high profile, out of curiosity? Just wondering.
    05-11-2016 11:31 AM
    Who is considered high profile, out of curiosity? Just wondering.
    I would say a lot of the tech journalists who either cover Microsoft or at least report on it in a reasonably balanced way count... the best recent example is Mary Jo Foley.
    libra89, Kevin Rush and theefman like this.
    05-11-2016 11:43 AM
    Microsoft really botched the entry level models. Lumia 520 was so successful. Look at lumia 550. Not even a fraction of the sales of the 520.Why? Well im sure everybody already knows the answer.
    Same for high end phones like 950. I mean who in their right minds would buy 950 when you can better phones like G4,6P,etc for much cheaper. Only diehard Windows phone fans. Nobody else ofcourse.
    05-11-2016 12:43 PM
    Microsoft really botched the entry level models. Lumia 520 was so successful. Look at lumia 550. Not even a fraction of the sales of the 520.Why? Well im sure everybody already knows the answer.
    Same for high end phones like 950. I mean who in their right minds would buy 950 when you can better phones like G4,6P,etc for much cheaper. Only diehard Windows phone fans. Nobody else ofcourse.
    Not only that, they didn't capitalize on the momentum of the 520/521. Not all Windows Phone users crave a flagship. When it was about that time for the 520 owners to upgrade to something a little better, there wasn't anything. They really needed a Lumia 640 back then. I was one of those users. I ended up going to Android. I came back for the 640 as it was almost the perfect windows phone ie it seemed to fix all the faults of the 521 such as mediocre battery, poor sunlight viewable screen etc (for me anyway). Then Microsoft dropped the ball again by dumping Nokia and setting up a decline instead of continuing the upward trend of the 520 before it.
    libra89, theefman and rinosaur like this.
    05-11-2016 09:52 PM
    Well my family has officially switched from Windows phone that being my brother with a iPhone SE. It's sad really but the app gap got them especially my sister who switched first then my mum then my brother then me and now my other brother. But funny thing is that they all miss the tile interface and they still have the devices but use them as well music players. I promised them that things will get better but to no avail. Will still use Microsoft products but not mobile anymore.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android (from my Nexus 5x or LG V10)
    05-11-2016 10:50 PM
    Microsoft makes great products for their services. I can see myself continuing to use their services. Even though I have an iPhone (SE too), and an Android (Nextbit Robin) that I am "trying" out, I am using mostly MS services through and through. I only use OneDrive, and Outlook (thank goodness for Paul Thurrott showing how I can sync just contacts and I don't have to use Gmail for my email). Never used iCloud, Google Drive (aside from the device backup thing), iPhone Mail app, and Google Photos.
    Last edited by libra89; 05-12-2016 at 09:25 AM.
    05-12-2016 09:09 AM
    Microsoft makes great products for their services. I can see myself continuing to use their services. Even though I have an iPhone (SE too), and an Android (Nextbit Robin) that I am "trying" out, I am using mostly MS services through and through. I only use OneDrive, and Outlook (thank goodness for Paul Thurrott showing how I can sync just contacts and I don't have to use Gmail for my email). Never used iCloud, Google Drive (aside from the device backup thing), iPhone Mail app, and Google Photos.
    Yes that's what we all did fortunately it was very simple.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android (from my Nexus 5x or LG V10)
    libra89 likes this.
    05-12-2016 06:03 PM
    Whether you want to stay with Windows 10 Mobile is up to you. Your best option is to get whatever device would best suit your needs now.

If you do get an Android device, I recommend the Nexus 6P, but none of the others. The Nexus devices get regular updates (every month) for several years. The other Android devices might not get timely (or any) updates.
    This is true if that's what's most important to you. Probably not the best advice for anyone that puts the camera as their most important feature.
    05-12-2016 06:05 PM
    I'm sorry, but between:
    1.) the lack of Verizon support for Windows anything and
    2.) the app gap / poor quality of the Universal apps on Win 10
    together, they finally broke me. I caved and bit the poison fruit.

You see, I'm in a new town, with a new job. The new company - like my former job - issues any Verizon phone you want. I really liked the Samsung Galaxy Edge S7; it is just the right size in my hand. However, two different Verizon reps mentioned that the iPhone 6S+ has a better antenna. Since I'm now on the coast, I had noticed fewer bars on my old Lumia 735; therefore, a quality antenna was the deciding factor for me. As for apps, I'm staying with my credit union; however, there are no branches in this town. Therefore, I need the banking app - only offered for iOS and Androids. I will still continue to use OneDrive & OneNote (love OneNote!). The new job issues Windows laptops with Microsoft productivity suite on them. So, I will keep my ear to the ground for any breaking Windows 10 news (e.g. - a Surface phone perhaps?); however, I don't think I will be upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 anytime soon since I no longer have a Windows phone.

Best,
    libra89, Laura Knotek and chmun77 like this.
    05-13-2016 09:08 AM
    However, two different Verizon reps mentioned that the iPhone 6S+ has a better antenna. Since I'm now on the coast, I had noticed fewer bars on my old Lumia 735; therefore, a quality antenna was the deciding factor for me..
    One thing people should know is the S7E reports fewer bars, but the antenna quality is not any more inferior than it is with the iPhone. I have the S7E, my wife has the iPhone 6+, same carrier, her phone typically reports one more bar, but the call quality, and data performance is all very similar between the two phones. I suspect those Verizon employees are basing that comment off of the visual indicator which is hardly scientific. There are plenty of other people reporting similar results over on Android Central. The S7E indicator is very conservative. It's been a bit of a mental adjustment, because there are times I get bluetooth notifications saying the signal level is poor, or see one bar, but I have yet to experience a single dropped call or poor voice/data quality in those situations.
    RumoredNow and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-13-2016 11:22 AM
    Hi,

I've been a Windows Mobile Use for about 3 years now. Started with a Lumia 625 with Windows 8, upgraded it to 8.1, and now I have a Lumia 735 which I updated (via the update app) to Windows 10.

I was an android user before and decided to switch over when yet another android phone became too laggy to be of use...

Everybody kept complaining about the lack of apps in windows mobile, but for my daily needs it was more than OK, viewing and sending emails, browsing facebook, using FB messenger and whatsapp, and some light web browsing. All of these worked faster and cleaner than on Android, the battery life was great, the OS was VERY responsive and simple, I loved it. Still on the lack of apps I found that simply using the mobile versions on the browser worked better than most of the Android apps (at least at the time) so I was a happy customer.

Now on Windows 10 even my not very demanding daily tasks are becoming a hassle and making my user experience almost unbearable.

My issues:

I was amazed that a low end device like the Lumia 625 could run Windows 8.1 so smoothly, changing between apps was seamless, and nothing ever crashed. On windows 10 its much less responsive and I'm starting to see "Loading" screens when I change apps (one of the main reasons I stopped using Lagdroid). I am also experiencing some crashes from time to time. Still I can live with this, it runs well enough...

The battery on my 735 lasted about 2 days with W8.1 (yes, I'm not a heavy user), it dropped to about 1 day on W10. Still 1 day is sufficient, so I can also live with that...

The FB messenger app is now years behind the other mobile competition with some major flaws like not being able to flip the screen horizontally. W10 brought another major flaw of not allowing me to take a snap picture and send it through chat. I can use the camera and then send it via chat, so I can also live with that...

Now the deal-breaker for me the Outlook app and GMAIL integration. Here is where I draw the line. I use GMAIL as my main account, and get a few dozen emails a day (many work related) and send about the same amount. The app doesn't sync properly, doesn't notify me on the quick action bar or notification screen (although all those options are marked as yes). So I am missing important emails and that's very harmful in my line of business. Also some simple tasks have become impossible, I wanted to forward an email the other day and the app simply greyed out the send button (had to remove and re-add the account to make it work). Right now I wanted to view a .pdf file on an email and download it, and the app wouldn't allow me to do so for some reason..

I've searched the forum and I can't find a definite answer on this, so I'm asking, is it me? Are other people having the same issues? Is there a workaround or something? (especially regarding the GMAIL issue)

Thanks in advance for your help.
    05-13-2016 01:17 PM
    To me, it sounds like you can lose anything by going back to Android for a bit. I don't feel like having so much care and desire to use a platform should hurt your bottom line.

As for a workaround, I have no idea.
    05-13-2016 02:01 PM
    i have shift to IOS , from lumia 535 and then iphone 5S
    had 520 before that
    I can say i only miss windows build news and new build in Windows phone 10
    other then else all things are available in IOS , i will recommend all the users to switch and keep using outlook for even contacts etc until Windows 10 mobile get very mature that is not very long
    05-13-2016 02:52 PM
    Now the deal-breaker for me the Outlook app and GMAIL integration. Here is where I draw the line. I use GMAIL as my main account, and get a few dozen emails a day (many work related) and send about the same amount. The app doesn't sync properly, doesn't notify me on the quick action bar or notification screen (although all those options are marked as yes). So I am missing important emails and that's very harmful in my line of business. Also some simple tasks have become impossible, I wanted to forward an email the other day and the app simply greyed out the send button (had to remove and re-add the account to make it work). Right now I wanted to view a .pdf file on an email and download it, and the app wouldn't allow me to do so for some reason..
    If WP is starting to impede your workplace productivity and effectiveness its time to switch asap. Of course you can have a tester phone you can stay up to date on WM10 with but for your daily you need iOS or Android.
    libra89, wgs84 and SaitamaSan like this.
    05-13-2016 03:01 PM
    On the flip side I have switched FROM Android to WP10 and a Lumia 950. I find it has better battery life than most Android devices which I have been using since the original HTC G1 up to my last which was a LG G4. The apps I need are there, WP10 is fast slick and stable and lastly continuum is now an everyday part of my usage.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-14-2016 06:36 AM
    If WP is starting to impede your workplace productivity and effectiveness its time to switch asap. Of course you can have a tester phone you can stay up to date on WM10 with but for your daily you need iOS or Android.
    Yes I am inclined to agree, but the purpose of my question was to find out if people are having the same issues as I am or not. Cause if not I can try some workarounds like a hard reset or something like that. The point is I really like WP and switching to Android would be my last resort....
    05-14-2016 09:21 AM
    I just upgraded to a Huawei p9 android.... It's a great phone but not too fond of android if I'm honest. It's a bit messy.... However if simple things like Gmail syncing and Gmail actually working on the outlook app aren't sorted I'm forced to stay on android
    05-14-2016 09:34 AM
    Hi,
    there is a methoed to transfer backup Whatsapp chat from Windows Phone to Android?
    05-14-2016 03:33 PM
    I've had several Windows Phones starting with the Lumia 1020 finally ending up with a Lumia 930 which I quite liked apart from when I put an insider version of Windows 10 on it and expected it to melt it got so hot and drained the battery in about 3 hours!
    My current bank doesn't have a Windows Phone App which is irritating, the apps that do exist seem to be "crippled" or at least a poor implementation of other OS's and everything that's advertised on TV is available in the Apple or Play Store but nothing for WP so I jumped ship
    I've had a fruity phone for 6 months which I absolutely hated and then moved to Android which I don't really like either but they've both got the apps.
    I'm coming back to Windows Phone with a 950XL and the continuum dock - I'm really hoping this is going to be a good phone now the OS has been through several updates.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-14-2016 04:00 PM
    I just upgraded to a Huawei p9 android.... It's a great phone but not too fond of android if I'm honest. It's a bit messy.... However if simple things like Gmail syncing and Gmail actually working on the outlook app aren't sorted I'm forced to stay on android
    You should try another email service. It's good to have more than one. Certainly google doesn't want you to leave Gmail, android and it's data mining advertising company. It's goggle that is trapping you. Microsoft makes it's services available on other platforms.
    Just offering another point of view.
    Best Wishes
    05-14-2016 07:16 PM
    I don't want to be that guy, but after the last few weeks I'm afraid the issues with this phone have cracked me. I had edge crash at least half a dozen times today, phone rebooting twice and freezing when just watching YouTube.

I loved my Lumia 820, and never really ran into issues. However, windows 10 is troublesome on my 950 and as much as we all like to proclaim "there's no app gap" there really is. Sadly ill be trying the iPhone 7 a go once it releases, and saw much as I don't like apple, at least their ecosystem is stable and well sorted.

How have you guys felt lately?
    rinosaur likes this.
    05-15-2016 04:20 AM
    I'm using an Icon with W10 Release Preview with no issues. The app gap is not that big a deal to me. My phone makes/receives calls; sends/receives text messages and can access the internet. It tracks my mileage; handles my checkbook entries and does the various jobs I need it to. I could care less if SnapChat, or the latest Vine app ever comes to the platform. I'm an adult. Life is too important to be worrying if the latest app is coming out for W10.
    aximtreo likes this.
    05-15-2016 04:38 AM
    I find it disgusting that my band 2 is having trouble still syncing/ connecting. I can guarantee apple watch and iPhone would not have this problem.
    Hell, my alarm only works occasionally, and it's lucky I have my band on and an alarm set. But, in order for the band alarm to work I have to desync from my phone so the phone doesn't cancel the band alarm
    05-15-2016 06:21 AM
    Yep MS obviously has the B Team working on Mobile...
    05-15-2016 06:36 AM
5,481 ... 979899100101 ...