Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yup, the phone can charge at 3amps, thats a lot of current. It gets "warm" till battery gets to about 60-70%. I went from a dead battery to about 40% in less than 15 minutes. Anyone using usb-c cables, make sure you use only OEM or cables tested by the google engineer (forgot his name), a bad cable can be a disaster. He had a few laptops fried while testing the cables.

Yep, I recommend Monoprice. They are good and have been tested by that google engineer.

Nick Metro

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Well said, I pretty much carry the 830 around with me even though the iPhone is my daily driver. Probably going to sell the 950 to offset some of the costs of switching. Hopefully in the future I am on here talking about switching back :)

Ed Grof

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Just to add my 2 cents, there has been a lot of mention of how everything works better on Android and iOS, but I found that to be not completely true. I commute a large distance everyday for work and what I found frustrating with Android ( and iOS to a lesser extent) is the ability of either OS to handle texting over bluetooth. With Cortana, texts were read aloud and you could respond. Not so with Android and everything I researched shows there is no solution (maybe you guys have found something, but the apps do not replace Cortana's ability).

Second, I hate the fact, with my Band 2 I have lost sms notifications and with that loss, the ability to respond to sms. Now my Band 2 is just a fitness tracker. This may be a marshmallow thing, as this used to function on Lollipop.

The last issue I have found is with the Android Outlook App, it is buggy, especially with the Calendar. By default, my calendar stays unchecked and if I enable it, the app unchecks itself, which has caused me to miss some crucial appointments. In order to get around this, I have had to switch to gmail app and turn off 2 factor authentication to get the gmail app to connect with my outlook account. I am sure with further research, I may be able to figure out the security issue.

The issues mentioned above were not experienced on my lumia 920 with W10M. Only reason I moved to an Android device was the lack of a good midrange Windows phone now that MS had discontinued support for my lumia 920. Now if any of you have any solutions to the above issues, I would love to hear about it.

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Leaving to an iPhone 6s now I know that since 2011 to last month I never used a SmartPhone. I used to love windows phone but now it's impossible to defend a OS that really has no apps, and the one that are in the store are years behind so why keep buying phone from a company that screw you up every time they can. Bye Microsoft see you in hell

Tonytoronto2015

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Just to add my 2 cents, there has been a lot of mention of how everything works better on Android and iOS, but I found that to be not completely true. I commute a large distance everyday for work and what I found frustrating with Android ( and iOS to a lesser extent) is the ability of either OS to handle texting over bluetooth. With Cortana, texts were read aloud and you could respond. Not so with Android and everything I researched shows there is no solution (maybe you guys have found something, but the apps do not replace Cortana's ability).

Second, I hate the fact, with my Band 2 I have lost sms notifications and with that loss, the ability to respond to sms. Now my Band 2 is just a fitness tracker. This may be a marshmallow thing, as this used to function on Lollipop.

The last issue I have found is with the Android Outlook App, it is buggy, especially with the Calendar. By default, my calendar stays unchecked and if I enable it, the app unchecks itself, which has caused me to miss some crucial appointments. In order to get around this, I have had to switch to gmail app and turn off 2 factor authentication to get the gmail app to connect with my outlook account. I am sure with further research, I may be able to figure out the security issue.

The issues mentioned above were not experienced on my lumia 920 with W10M. Only reason I moved to an Android device was the lack of a good midrange Windows phone now that MS had discontinued support for my lumia 920. Now if any of you have any solutions to the above issues, I would love to hear about it.
For the sms problem, really blows. Won't be surprised if they remove that from Cortana too (legal reasons). The idea they say, u should be driving not texting.. so instead of having your hands free so u can hold the wheel, people will just grab the phones and text anyhow. few work arounds, none that really works. Some 3rd party apps will enable Driving Mode, it works ok'ish, but not 100%. U can also tell google now to read last text, kinda works that way too. My wifes Moto X works fine, using moto voice or whjatever its called. Samsung removing voice app that did the same.

Calendar issue, DigiCal - find it to work better than outlook and google calendar. As a bonus, u can sink both calendars into it. Widget really cool too, kinda like a Live tile.

tanager

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Bought a lumia 1020 back in 2013, love the phone to death but it was showing its age and the battery is not as good as it used to be. Runs Windows 10 pretty well but made the plunge with a Oneplus One. Very happy with the new phone. The MS apps on android are excellent, so I'm not really missing out for being on android. Initially wanted a Nexus 6p but decided to save my money because I wasn't planning on getting a new phone this year. Hopefully, MS can make a turnaround with the platform in the future.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I bought an SE recently, and I really like it a lot. However, hearing that this "new" Microsoft phone line will probably come out in early 2017 has me pause on adding AppleCare+ to it. Is it silly that I feel this way?

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My first smartphone was a Lumia 920 (got it on day one) and I had almost no issues with it for 3 years -- WP8 was a rock-solid OS and IMO had the best-looking and most functional UI on a phone.

I had high hopes for W10M and once again I got the Lumia 950 on day one. What a disaster W10M is: it's so unstable I can't believe it's running the same kernel as the desktop version. I had so many random reboots in the first two weeks that I gave up and decided to try the iPhone 6S. Didn't really like it very much and the 950 got an update that fixed most of the reboots, so I decided to return the iPhone and give W10M another chance.

Fast forward four months and not much has improved. My lock screen routinely takes several seconds to respond after I press the power button, notifications are erratic, WhatsApp frequently crashes on resume, battery life is hit-or-miss (it's great on some days and terrible on others). I don't need a lot of apps but I do need a phone that is *reliable* and W10M just doesn't cut it anymore, so I think it's time to switch to an iPhone -- I at least know that it works, and the fingerprint scanner is a nice bonus as well.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought an SE recently, and I really like it a lot. However, hearing that this "new" Microsoft phone line will probably come out in early 2017 has me pause on adding AppleCare+ to it. Is it silly that I feel this way?
I think AppleCare is worth the money, since iPhones are expensive. I'm not sure if you have a case (or how rugged your case is), but costs to repair broken screen are high.

Eugenio Medina

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I tell my experience while waiting for my 950XL I was using a LG G4, arriving mine I sold to a friend, this week with this beautiful team, note that brings a very very good camera, sound and screen, Android has apps not yet come to W10M and several are one step ahead of ours, but ... despite the powerful hard 4-5 times it appeared mje: the application "X" does not respond, notice lag in 2-3 opportunities, in about 3-4 seconds remaining labeled and then answered, then still in the android 6.0 v your things and still requires much hard. All S.O. They have their stuff but as that of W10M the underline more and more q think everything is by the lack of apps, if you would have the same apps on android q maybe not complain of everything. Windows 10 with enhanced apps that brought (Facebook, Instagram (BETA), Twitter, etc.) are a step forward and that is noteworthy. Now with my 950XL SUPER I'm happy, I love the camera and screen, I have not experienced any problems, only slight delay in Groove music to start the Now playing songs that after passing does not and x time delay in the notifi. Messenger with respect to the PC. I really like W10M and improve in future updates, but we are also impossible to form, if delayed 3 more months and polished best, as we were going to criticize, I hope to continue to encourage developers to make more Aplis and better not ask things not you others claim or that others do not. W10M like this very pointed the finger, I would say, which is free of lag and failures cast the first stone haha ​​(no, not the big apple would throw)

Ed Grof

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
For the sms problem, really blows. Won't be surprised if they remove that from Cortana too (legal reasons). The idea they say, u should be driving not texting.. so instead of having your hands free so u can hold the wheel, people will just grab the phones and text anyhow. few work arounds, none that really works. Some 3rd party apps will enable Driving Mode, it works ok'ish, but not 100%. U can also tell google now to read last text, kinda works that way too. My wifes Moto X works fine, using moto voice or whjatever its called. Samsung removing voice app that did the same.

Calendar issue, DigiCal - find it to work better than outlook and google calendar. As a bonus, u can sink both calendars into it. Widget really cool too, kinda like a Live tile.

Thanks for the suggestion on the calendar app, will give it a try. I do miss Cortana.

thalador

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I hate to say it but I am now in this boat. I used Android since the original droid phone but was dying for a Windows phone since last year. Finally I got a 950XL in January. The thing is fast, camera is great and it isn't too too big. The problem I have is that now, after spending $800, it isn't Microsoft's focus for a while. Apps work, for the most part. I am not a huge app guy but some of the issues I am having are simply functionality of the phone. One, almost, deal breaker for me is that notifications cannot keep going until I dismiss. Many times at work my phone is on vibrate (which sucks on the xl) and I dont notice I got a text until hours later. With android I could set it to remind me every XX minutes.

I spent a good part of the morning looking at the S7 Edge.. Nice phone, pricey as well but it may be worth it.

giganotosaurus

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Wow everyone just nitpicks on a simple feature and wants to drop the platform.. If apple had wireless charging and windows didn't they would complain about that here. Guess that's the spirit of the times built by some negative media from sites like Verge!!! I always undermined/ misunderstood the influence of the media, but sadly its real.,

jeff92k7

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Wow everyone just nitpicks on a simple feature and wants to drop the platform.

That may be the case for some people here, but not for me. I've put up with a lot from MS and the constant ongoing promises of "don't worry, it will get better". Well, I'm tired of waiting. It's not getting better. It's getting worse. If I can't get basic smartphone functionality that is reliable, that isn't me nitpicking a simple feature. That is Microsoft failing to deliver what they promise.

Part of this is the 14295 that was pushed out to the slow ring. It was not ready for slow ring. It never should have gone past the fast ring. Granted, the argument can be made that if I want a reliable phone, then I shouldn't be in the insider program at all. Fair enough. But that puts me back at Windows 8.1 on my 1520 with lacking apps and an OS that is behind the other big players in normal features. Either way, I'm still with a phone that lacks in some areas with ongoing promises that it will get better.

If my phone doesn't work for me, then I'll find one that will. I put up with promises from MS for long enough. I'm tired of waiting. I don't want to spend three days straight doing hard resets and restores and updates and upgrades to try to get a halfway working phone again after an update that shouldn't have been pushed out. MS broke it. You can argue otherwise, but the update is simply not ready for anyone other than fast ring.

If you are in a relationship where your SO keeps promising that they will change and things will get better, but they keep ignoring you and going off to do their own thing, then eventually you would dump them and move on with your life. It's like they haven't even been faithful since shortly after I bought back into Windows mobile, they release their entire suite of apps on other phones and those apps work better. I don't tolerate cheating in relationships, and for the sake of this analogy, that's what it seems like MS did. That's why I am where I am. I'm not married to my phone. I have no obligation to stick around. Windows Mobile isn't coming home and I'm tired of waiting. I'm dumping them and finding a phone that will do what I need. As someone else said, "I didn't leave MS. MS left me." I was just too dumb to realize it and kept hoping things would get better - I kept hoping they would come home and the relationship would improve. Now they announced that they aren't even going to focus on Mobile for the next year. That is like your SO saying there isn't even a chance of them coming home for another year. Screw you MS. The relationship is over.

If you're happy in that kind of broken relationship, that's fine. That's your decision. But don't come on here complaining about people who decide they want more out of their phone. Don't sit there implying that the media has somehow brainwashed people into giving up on MS. MS gave up on us. Mobile is not a priority. At best, it's only a small part of their strategy now. I want more out of my phone. I don't want promises.

VoynaZ

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
A few months back I switched from a 950XL to a Xperia Z5 Compact. Owned a Lumia 800, 900, 920, 1020 and S6 Edge. Ended up picking up a 950 XL and found no issues with the design of the phone. Really loved it. Camera was great. I was very frustrated with Windows 10...it seemed unfinished and my 950 was constantly crashing while doing basic things like browsing the internet or watching YouTube. I do miss the simplicity of Windows 8.1. I plan on purchasing a Lumia 1020 again just to have a spare phone/camera. I will most likely pick up a Surface phone depending on what Microsoft comes up with. I do miss the colorful designs and build quality of Nokia's Lumias.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
DOH. I caught the life raft of the sinking ship. I am purchasing a 950xl dual sim. Its one of the only dual sims that runs full power to both sims. unlike most that run 2g on sim 2. That and now there is a paypal card reader. They suckered me back in.

BlackWire

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
So it's safe to say that wp8.1 is safer than w10m. Because I haven't done the update to Windows 10

And by the looks of thing I probably won't. Till further notice

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
YMMV. I love w10 on my 1020. works great here. A lot of people complained and got the 1020 cut from the update line. Big mistake I think.

I wouldn't put it that way; people gave legit feedback hoping for fixes and Microsoft used that as an excuse not to upgrade it. Wouldn't have done anyone any good if people had given false feedback just to get the update and it ended up being crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro