Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazeee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: I'm Leaving Windows phone for a while. Gonna come back for Nokia EOS :)

Well I mean it is a corvette... Haha. I didn't know they didn't sell them in the UK but I plan on moving there when im older.

I don't think it matters which nexus you get because they all get the same updates and as updates come they will need less hardware power.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

There's one dealer that officially sells them in the UK, but the one I imported is a big block '72 Stingray :smile:

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
RE: I'm Leaving Windows phone for a while. Gonna come back for Nokia EOS :)

There's one dealer that officially sells them in the UK, but the one I imported is a big block '72 Stingray :smile:
im totally jealous... I couldn't even afford that minus the import.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

What just happened to the thread?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

What just happened to the thread?
It was merged into this thread. Crackberry also has a thread for people switching devices. This thread is the appropriate place for device switchers here on WPCentral.

reckoner79

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

I switched to an iPhone 4s and am very happy with my decision. I tried the HTC 8x, but didn't like missing out on the exclusive Nokia apps. So I switched to a Lumia 920 and bought my wife an 820. Well, after a few weeks and several replacements later I just decided to sell both Lumias and get iPhones.I went to the Att device support center and they let me test the 8 red Lumia 920 replacement phones and they all had either a loud rattle, loose battery, creaky loose screens, or backlight leaking. The build quality of the 920 is horrendous. My wifes 820 also had a loose battery and flickering screen. Im loving the iPhone 4s and all the apps I have at my fingertips, the selection is pretty amazing compared to WP.

WPmaster

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I gave windows phone a chance and I did it twice. Once with the Samsung Focus and Now with the Lumia 920. Unfortunately, Windows Phone failed to deliver, the selection of apps sucks, key apps like instagram missing. Lack of basic features such proper separate volume manager and notification center. They promised it would be different this time and they failed to deliver yet again. Bye Windows Phone you had potential, I don't think Ill ever come back but who knows... I said the same when I switched from the Samsung Focus when it came out. There are many tiny things that this OS is missing which collectively turns me off(ie terrible Skype app with missing basic features such as signing out, garbage facebook(can't edit/delete comments)). The all new HTC One seems what Im exactly looking for, a true premium android phone with class.

I really enjoyed the Lumia 920 don't get me wrong. I hope Nokia wakes up and moves on from this dead beat OS or I guess they can wait...until MS wakes up and starts listening to it's consumers. I wish the best for Nokia as they make one of the best looking phones, the feel amazing and their innovation rocks. Look at Blackberry 10... they made it so easy for apps to port and now they will have more apps in their marketplace than windows phone and they just launched.

romeze

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

I had a HTC Trophy, and three HTC 8x's, and now I have a HTC Droid DNA. I fell in love with windows 7and 7,5 with my Trophy, man that thing was a trooper. It looked hideous when I finally upgraded to Windows Phone 8x. I guess my expectations were unreasonably high for wp8 considering I had such a great experience with the Trophy. When after about 4 months and three 8x's later, I had had enough. I grew tired with the OS and lack of customization, my tiles were not updating and none of the apps I wanted were on the app store. That, and the fact that the audio quality was horrible on all three devices. I guess what I am trying to say it that after trying Apple, WP7-8 and finally Android, Android was more my style. Although I did buy my wife a Nokia 822, I do not think I will be back until wp8 matures. There are definitely some aspects I miss from windows, but in the end the cons outweighed the pros.

Par_T

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

I switched to an iPhone 4s and am very happy with my decision. I tried the HTC 8x, but didn't like missing out on the exclusive Nokia apps. So I switched to a Lumia 920 and bought my wife an 820. Well, after a few weeks and several replacements later I just decided to sell both Lumias and get iPhones.I went to the Att device support center and they let me test the 8 red Lumia 920 replacement phones and they all had either a loud rattle, loose battery, creaky loose screens, or backlight leaking. The build quality of the 920 is horrendous. My wifes 820 also had a loose battery and flickering screen. Im loving the iPhone 4s and all the apps I have at my fingertips, the selection is pretty amazing compared to WP.
I've been contemplating a move to iphone 4s. My siblings both have iphones and love them. I would be able to use imessage with them (currently do not have a texting plan) and they are usually the only ones I text anyway. I really love the live tiles, but all the phones seem to have quality issues. Reading this makes me want to go the iphone way.

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

But you can not send prerecord video through Whatsapp, Facebook message or other similar apps. WP also not able to attach MP3 file too.

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

I gave windows phone a chance and I did it twice. Once with the Samsung Focus and Now with the Lumia 920. Unfortunately, Windows Phone failed to deliver, the selection of apps sucks, key apps like instagram missing. Lack of basic features such proper separate volume manager and notification center. They promised it would be different this time and they failed to deliver yet again. Bye Windows Phone you had potential, I don't think Ill ever come back but who knows... I said the same when I switched from the Samsung Focus when it came out. There are many tiny things that this OS is missing which collectively turns me off(ie terrible Skype app with missing basic features such as signing out, garbage facebook(can't edit/delete comments)). The all new HTC One seems what Im exactly looking for, a true premium android phone with class.

I really enjoyed the Lumia 920 don't get me wrong. I hope Nokia wakes up and moves on from this dead beat OS or I guess they can wait...until MS wakes up and starts listening to it's consumers. I wish the best for Nokia as they make one of the best looking phones, the feel amazing and their innovation rocks. Look at Blackberry 10... they made it so easy for apps to port and now they will have more apps in their marketplace than windows phone and they just launched.

I totally agree with you. After I have been using Nokia lumia 920 with window mobile OS for 3 months and get it being fixed from Nokia repairing center. App is less which is understandable as WP is quite new and releasing lately. but Microsoft WP does not allow app developer to access the Video library, so it is impossible to send prerecord video through Whatsapp ; Facebook message feature , especially same to the largest WeChatt in China. No one in hong kong would like to use WP OS at all . As 99% of HK / China people like using WeChatt for sending videos or MP3 files.

Nokia wakes up, it is time to launch Android OS for keeping up the market share now, Otherwise Samsung low cost android will eat up the emerging market for the coming 2 years for sure. Using Android on Nokia and it will help to boost it's sale 6 times more.

conclusion:
1.) App is always important for every users ( make our life easier )
2.) App for games like Candy Crush ( 98 % of HK/ china users enjoy playing it )
3.) sending video & mp3 files through different kind of social App is workable
The above media app have to be function well , otherwise I can not see the point for using WP at all.

Nokia -------------Wake up !!!!
Nokia should start launching Android phone before it is too late ! No one would like to spend money on such expensive smartphone which is actually not smart enough to work on most of app features. No consumer is being so stupid in the world .

Wake up Microsoft !
Since Microsoft has invested USD1 billion per year on Nokia software support, it seems like Nokia won't able to diversify its OS. Hopefully Microsoft will launch its Win 9 ASAP for solving (sending video issue). As lot of ppl would like to post their prerecorded video online through handsets anytime without touching their PC. Wake up Microsoft! How come it takes so long time to develop the phone OS & still not working on this video/media issue since 2007 ?

Microsoft need to grant access to video library for App developer, as ppl like posting video on YouTube
; Whatsapp ; Facebook ; WeChatt ; etc. If Microsoft can not fix this video issue, I am sure that win phone will not succeed for sure.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

I sold my Lumia 920 yesterday and my iPhone 5 is coming tomorrow. I actually switched from an iPhone 4S to Lumia 920 two months ago. After using Windows Phone 8 for two months I've honestly decided never to read too much into product announcements, never to come to an online forum (such as this one) to judge how good a product is and never to read initial device reviews to make a judgement. This was my third shot at Windows Phone. I owned an Omnia 7 when NoDo was released, then I got an Omnia 7 again when Mango was released. All three experiences were horrendous. I'll explain in this post why the experience with Lumia 920/Windows Phone 8 was a disappointment.

• My biggest disappointment was that the OS has not changed AT ALL from three years ago. The Windows Phone division has done nothing in the past three years. All problems that plagued the initial release back in 2010 and then Mango are still here in WP8. No rotation lock, no separate volume for media/ring tone, no brightness control other than low/medium/high, no easy way to set a custom ringtone etc etc. Kernel change won't do **** if your OS can't do the basics.
  • Built in social network integration. Where do I begin? This feature is just mediocre. It looks great in the adverts, and it's great to fool people into thinking your phone is special, or it may well be enough for part time social network users, but other than that the social network integration is just half assed. Facebook chat? Good luck getting that thing to work. Basic Twitter features such as viewing a conversation, direct messages are missing. You can't view your Facebook message history for a particular contact. Social network integration isn't as awesome as people think it is. It's impossible to implement. There's a reason why after all these years the most integration you've seen on Android and iOS is to sync profile pictures or update statuses. That's it.
  • So the integration sucks, you can use dedicated apps, right? Wrong. The Facebook app is downright laughable. It's an embarrassment to the OS and whoever made this crap ought to be fired. It took all of 3 years to get a decent official Twitter app. And no, I'm not paying for a third party Twitter app. LinkedIn app? It was updated nearly a year ago.
  • App quality. Oh God where do I even begin explaining this. Simply put there is NO quality. Ever tried WhatsApp? Tried Facebook? Or Viber? Or Line Messenger? Or Seesmic? Or Skype? Or IM+? Want reliable push notifications on Windows Phone? Psst don't be silly.
  • Battery life is terrible. For a fat ass phone like Lumia 920 I'd expect the battery to last over a day. Didn't we use to make fun of Android for all its reboot, battery drain problems? Karma is a b***h isn't it?

This is just a tip of the mountain. The problem is that you can't even realise these shortcomings by reading reviews. The only way to know this is to actually use the phone. And now that I have I can honestly say I'm not going back to Windows Phone in the near future.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

You wanna hear crazy? I have decided to leave Windows Phone. Actually, I've decided to disconnect entirely. I've reached a point in my life where I need simplicity and NONE of today's offerings can provide it. Hear me out before aiming the flamethrower. For work, I have an iPhone 4S. My boss foots the bill so that's that. But after 3:30 (I start very early) it's "me" time. Emails don't have to come through my Exchange server anymore, they can wait. I re-activated my old Palm Centro and I'm amazed at how well that little turd handles business. All my contacts, memos, etc. at the touch of a button, no more Facebook notifications, no more LinkedIn messages. I know the East coast of the US from Key West to NYC like the palm of my hand so Google Maps is buried somewhere in my phone. The only remnant of connectivity my Centro provides is bluetooth DUN to my PDA. Remember those? I use it for handwritten notes or taking a picture every now and then, that's it!

I'll still be following the news here so it's not like I'm disappearing but I'm tired of swimming against the current. I read too many posts with an air of frustration from users and their complaints about their devices. Time to stop and smell the roses.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Got a Z10 a couple days ago. Separate sound profiles, customizable SMS tones. Camera that doesn't need to have 10 pictures taken for even a mediocre one. Notifications that work. PDF editor. Email attachment support. Ability to sideload apps that I may need. Much more. Very happy.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
bye bye my htc titan

After flashing my titan to euron rom, I sold it on ebay. I got a lumia 920 from craigslist. windows phone 8 is that much better than wp7. It is a big mistake for MS not updating wp7 devices to wp8. My wife switched to iphone 5 and my daughter switched to galaxy s3.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: bye bye my htc titan

After flashing my titan to euron rom, I sold it on ebay. I got a lumia 920 from craigslist. windows phone 8 is that much better than wp7. It is a big mistake for MS not updating wp7 devices to wp8. My wife switched to iphone 5 and my daughter switched to galaxy s3.

That's cool you got a Lumia 920. What color did you get?

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Window phone is still working like a feature phone and not a real smartphone at all.

There are some reasons why many people will not think of buying WIndow phone as follows:

1.) You can not send or attach prerecord video at all ( it means you can not share videos through Whatsapp; Facebook ; YouTube
WeChatt or any social mediaApps for sure using WP8 ) --- Not Connecting People

2.) Apps is less

The above two points have already killed the sales of Window Phone 8. ( Very Simpe - you do not have to think so much )

Poor Nokia for choosing Windows OS , if I were the guy to save Nokia for turnaround this year 2013. I will focus on using Android OS and strongly believe that it will help to boost up 8 times the sales of Nokia of its existing lumia sales.

Austin

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Window phone is still working like a feature phone and not a real smartphone at all.

There are some reasons why many people will not think of buying WIndow phone as follows:

1.) You can not send or attach prerecord video at all ( it means you can not share videos through Whatsapp; Facebook ; YouTube
WeChatt or any social mediaApps for sure using WP8 ) --- Not Connecting People

2.) Apps is less

The above two points have already killed the sales of Window Phone 8. ( Very Simpe - you do not have to think so much )

Poor Nokia for choosing Windows OS , if I were the guy to save Nokia for turnaround this year 2013. I will focus on using Android OS and strongly believe that it will help to boost up 8 times the sales of Nokia of its existing lumia sales.

Austin

I can attach prerecorded video........learn to use your phone ;)

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Once I have recorded the video and I open WhatsApp attach , WP only allows me to access the photo library for selection and is not allowed to select any video ? Whe I am using Facebook message for trying to attach video, it happens the same.

If you can attach prerecord video through Whatsapp; or post it up to YouTube. That's great ! Can you tell me how to do it ?

I couldnt figure out how to send video via whatsapp on my Nokia Lumia 710.When I press `attach`, it takes me to my camera roll page, but only pictures are shown, and no videos.

Read more: How to send video via Whatsapp on Nokia Lumia ? - I couldnt figure out how to send video via whatsapp on my Nokia Lumia . When I press "attach", it takes me to my camera roll page, but only pictures are shown, and no videos. :: Ask Me Fast at http://www.askmefast.com/How_to_send_video_via_Whatsapp_on_Nokia_Lumia_710-qna2491649.html

Appreciate so much if you can help !

Austin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb