Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Nokia wakes up, it is time to launch Android OS for keeping up the market share now

If Nokia uses Android OS, what are its benefits against other Android manufacturers?
Quality hardware? Debatable, even though my current Lumia 920 is solid.
Camera? Already being replicated by other companies, they won't have that advantage soon.
Colours? Other companies do it, and even if they don't, a 5 quid case will.
Brand image? Lost in countries like the US and UK. Samsung and Apple are the brands with a strong image. Nokia is known here for "****ty bricks" (not my words). So that's not an advantage.

The advantage Nokia use here is the support they give to WP and being the premiere WP manufacturer, despite HTC getting the Signature series. The OS is their differentiator.

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

That' true. But WP does not work as well as Other OS. Like it is impossible to send video - prerecord through Whatsapp or facebook message; or WeChatt etc.....basic features for a smartphone not working.

iOS or Android make it work when both release the first time. WP have been developed over 3 years and still not working as Microsoft does not allow App developer to access video library.

Nowadays ppl like to take some videos of their child and share those video with family members through smartphone and no need to touch any pc at all. but Window Phone is useless.
It means Nokia is not connecting people anymore with Windows OS.

App for Candy crush etc.... or instagram which can not be downloaded at all. Coming soon ! MS office can also be installed on IPhone IOS !
What 's the point for using WP for not able to send video & less App.....

Window phone is handicapped !

Austin

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

If Nokia uses Android OS, what are its benefits against other Android manufacturers?
Quality hardware? Debatable, even though my current Lumia 920 is solid.
Camera? Already being replicated by other companies, they won't have that advantage soon.
Colours? Other companies do it, and even if they don't, a 5 quid case will.
Brand image? Lost in countries like the US and UK. Samsung and Apple are the brands with a strong image. Nokia is known here for "****ty bricks" (not my words). So that's not an advantage.

The advantage Nokia use here is the support they give to WP and being the premiere WP manufacturer, despite HTC getting the Signature series. The OS is their differentiator.
That's a very flawed argument. You're basing the decision of Nokia to stick with WP off of the fact that they assume they will be the ONLY relevant OEM making Windows Phones, thereby making their phones really stand out. That is NOT what Microsoft wants. Microsoft wants Samsung and HTC to make equally kick ass phones. Unfortunately it hasn't happened yet, but what if it does? What if Samsung and HTC both make kick ass Windows Phone 8 and suddenly the Lumia lineup is no longer special? The same reason Nokia chose to stay away from Android will come and bite them in the ass on the Windows Phone side then.

And your argument on how it's difficult to differentiate on Android is wrong as well. If anything, it's impossible to differentiate on Windows Phone. The most you can do is throw in some apps. What has Nokia done with the Lumia 920 that Samsung or HTC can't do in the future? A bunch of Nokia exclusive apps? If anything that's only killing the WP platform before it even starts. You wan't to know what you can do on Android? Have a look at the software features on the Galaxy S IV.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

That's a very flawed argument. You're basing the decision of Nokia to stick with WP off of the fact that they assume they will be the ONLY relevant OEM making Windows Phones, thereby making their phones really stand out. That is NOT what Microsoft wants. Microsoft wants Samsung and HTC to make equally kick ass phones. Unfortunately it hasn't happened yet, but what if it does? What if Samsung and HTC both make kick ass Windows Phone 8 and suddenly the Lumia lineup is no longer special? The same reason Nokia chose to stay away from Android will come and bite them in the ass on the Windows Phone side then.

And your argument on how it's difficult to differentiate on Android is wrong as well. If anything, it's impossible to differentiate on Windows Phone. The most you can do is throw in some apps. What has Nokia done with the Lumia 920 that Samsung or HTC can't do in the future? A bunch of Nokia exclusive apps? If anything that's only killing the WP platform before it even starts. You wan't to know what you can do on Android? Have a look at the software features on the Galaxy S IV.

Beside Samsung no one makes profits in Android landscape so I can't understand how they could be more competitive there. Let's face it you have a nicer UX(User experience) with your phone on a Nokia because windows phone. So you can fight iphone with that. You still have an app ecosystem which lets Microsoft monitor the apps and so you can fight against android in security, ,stability, battery life. I believe they made the smartest choice. (I pity HTC because they are in 2 boats and making beautiful phones on both platform and still don't get sales). During the years they data mine users using their Symbian they have some decent maps they can throw in as diferentiators.

As for how open android is yes it is. At some costs: all aps wants to run in background unrestricted eating your battery and slowing down, some games to have smooth frames kill other processes(it's a smartphone I need to stay always connected not having my connections killed by a stupid game). Security is inexistent. 1 in 7 apps is a malware in google play store. 1 in 4 if you count other markets. Instagram on android monitors what apps you have installed. I mean come on I know it is free and it's business model is data mining your info but a little respect. Any app can read your email sms install custom keyboard and get all your passwords without anyone being able to verify them. It even scarier than on pc because I can log on using different account on pc but this is a smartphone it should be personal(no multiple accounts or other trickery) and safe.

So yeah android is so open Samsung can come with new software. How usable are they and how much are they just gimmicks? The translator... well bing Translator can translate using voice so this is not a new unseen features(not to mention the image translation). The camera apps we seen something like that as software from nokia. The camera apps were reported not functional by reviewer present at the launch event so no one can gauge their true functionality. So far nokia on a restricted os could match Samsung in software no problem. The other software gimmicks are just so hard to understand. They do not provide a good user experience they just provide a way to brag about your device. I would be horrified to have to use them in my phone day to day. Staying with my finger in browser(and a few other apps only) to view a preview how often will you use it? The risk of touching your phone and giving it a tap command is to high. At home where I'm relaxed I will use a pc anyway and I can't use such a feature with speed and accuracy in public transports, taxis, at work or on the move. So it's not a great user experience and you don't have much opportunity to use it. The smart scroll is just another example of bad user experience design. Tilting for scroll is not precise enough and I don't see myself waving with my hand in the bus for scroll :))). As for using it at home when you are relaxed it's a joke. If I want to use this at home I will use it in bed where tilting with precision will become even less controllable. And this usability problems were reported by reviewers. And all those gimmicks work in browser and a few apps only(gallery maybe email and calendar). So with all it's openness of the android Samsung way to differentiate for me sounds not useful but just a marketing ploy and the one that can be functional and a great experience can be replicated in windows phone and iphone easily.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Beside Samsung no one makes profits in Android landscape so I can understand how they could be more competitive. Let's face it you have a nicer UX(User experience) with your phone on a Nokia because windows phone. So you can fight iphone with that. You still have an app ecosystem which lets Microsoft monitor the apps and so you can fight against android in security, ,stability, battery life. I believe they made the smartest choice. (I pity HTC because they are in 2 boats and making beautiful phones on both platform and still don't get sales). During the years they data mine users using their Symbian they have some decent maps they can throw in as diferentiators.

As for how open android is yes it is. At some costs: all aps wants to run in background unrestricted eating your battery and slowing down, some games to have smooth frames kill other processes(it's a smartphone I need to stay always connected not having my connections killed by a stupid game). Security is inexistent. 1 in 7 apps is a malware in google play store. 1 in 4 if you count other markets. Instagram on android monitors what apps you have installed. I mean come on I know it is free and it's business model is data mining your info but a little respect. Any app can read your email sms install custom keyboard and get all your passwords without anyone being able to verify them. It even scarier than on pc because I can log on using different account on pc but this is a smartphone it should be personal(no multiple accounts or other trickery) and safe.

So yeah android is so open Samsung can come with new software. How usable are they and how much are they just gimmicks? The translator... well bing Translator can translate using voice so this is not a new unseen features(not to mention the image translation). The camera apps we seen something like that as software from nokia. The camera apps were reported not functional by reviewer present at the launch event so no one can gauge their true functionality. So far nokia on a restricted os could match Samsung in software no problem. The other software gimmicks are just so hard to understand. They do not provide a good user experience they just provide a way to brag about your device. I would be horrified to have to use them in my phone day to day. Staying with my finger in browser(and a few other apps only) to view a preview how often will you use it? The risk of touching your phone and giving it a tap command is to high. At home where I'm relaxed I will use a pc anyway and I can't use such a feature with speed and accuracy in public transports, taxis, at work or on the move. So it's not a great user experience and you don't have much opportunity to use it. The smart scroll is just another example of bad user experience design. Tilting for scroll is not precise enough and I don't see myself waving with my hand in the bus for scroll :))). As for using it at home when you are relaxed it's a joke. If I want to use this at home I will use it in bed where tilting with precision will become even less controllable. And this usability problems were reported by reviewers. And all those gimmicks work in browser and a few apps only(gallery maybe email and calendar). So with all it's openness of the android Samsung way to differentiate for me sounds not useful but just a marketing ploy and the one that can be functional and a great experience can be replicated in windows phone and iphone easily.
Don't judge the software features on S4. They are there. You like them, use them, don't like them, don't use them. The point is that it's THERE. Nokia can't do anything even remotely similar to what Samsung has achieved with regards to motion capture on S 4. And guess what, people LOVE it. The S3 with its gimmicks outsold everything out there and the S4 is out to do the same. So let's not play the game of whether the features are useful or not. People love them, and they show it by using their wallets. You think Nokia looks at the S3 and says to itself 'boy I really don't want a phone like that that basically outsold every phone we've made in 2 years' ?

As for your argument on battery. I think you've not used a Windows Phone 8 yet. Have you NOT heard the horror stories about how abysmal the battery life on it is and how any random app can basically drain it within a few hours? How is this possible on a close OS like WP? It doesn't happen on iOS. Yet all I see here are people saying this app kills my battery, or whatsapp killed my battery or Skype killed my battery. My Lumia 920, with just 2 background tasks drained 1% an hour. That's worse than my One X. Go figure. The battery on WP8 has been a massive debacle, and it's all the more ironic since Windows Phone fans used to make fun of Android for its battery.

No, 1 in 7 apps are not malware on Android. Are you kidding me? You're telling me 100,000 out of 700,000 are malware? There are 0.1 million malware apps on Android? Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

And coming back to your first point about how no one makes a profit on Android. Well guess what, despite not making any profits on Android, those OEMs STILL don't care about Windows Phone. You think it's hard to make a Windows Phone device? If Sony or LG really were struggling with their Android phones they'd be on the WP8 bandwagon by now. But they are not. Because on Windows Phone it would be even worse.

There's absolutely no real reason for Nokia to completely abandon Android other than the fact that their CEO is basically a Microsoft guy and that Microsoft literally PAYS Nokia to use Windows Phone. Nokia didn't even try. They basically pussied out. They could have made 1 or 2 Android phones and judged the response. They didn't. They scrapped that and killed Meego to join an OS that in 3 years has failed to pass the 2-3% market share world wide.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site

Lumia 800 user switching to Z10.

For me, getting a WP device is hit or miss. I wan't smartphone that can be reliably used on it's phone feature(SMS/CALL). Your device self-rebooting while your boss calls. Random reboot is a lame excuse, specially if the TEAM is meeting it's deadline and cannot reach.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Don't judge the software features on S4. They are there. You like them, use them, don't like them, don't use them. The point is that it's THERE. Nokia can't do anything even remotely similar to what Samsung has achieved with regards to motion capture on S 4. And guess what, people LOVE it. The S3 with its gimmicks outsold everything out there and the S4 is out to do the same. So let's not play the game of whether the features are useful or not. People love them, and they show it by using their wallets. You think Nokia looks at the S3 and says to itself 'boy I really don't want a phone like that that basically outsold every phone we've made in 2 years' ?

As for your argument on battery. I think you've not used a Windows Phone 8 yet. Have you NOT heard the horror stories about how abysmal the battery life on it is and how any random app can basically drain it within a few hours? How is this possible on a close OS like WP? It doesn't happen on iOS. Yet all I see here are people saying this app kills my battery, or whatsapp killed my battery or Skype killed my battery. My Lumia 920, with just 2 background tasks drained 1% an hour. That's worse than my One X. Go figure. The battery on WP8 has been a massive debacle, and it's all the more ironic since Windows Phone fans used to make fun of Android for its battery.

No, 1 in 7 apps are not malware on Android. Are you kidding me? You're telling me 100,000 out of 700,000 are malware? There are 0.1 million malware apps on Android? Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

And coming back to your first point about how no one makes a profit on Android. Well guess what, despite not making any profits on Android, those OEMs STILL don't care about Windows Phone. You think it's hard to make a Windows Phone device? If Sony or LG really were struggling with their Android phones they'd be on the WP8 bandwagon by now. But they are not. Because on Windows Phone it would be even worse.

There's absolutely no real reason for Nokia to completely abandon Android other than the fact that their CEO is basically a Microsoft guy and that Microsoft literally PAYS Nokia to use Windows Phone. Nokia didn't even try. They basically pussied out. They could have made 1 or 2 Android phones and judged the response. They didn't. They scrapped that and killed Meego to join an OS that in 3 years has failed to pass the 2-3% market share world wide.

Even I as a 3rd party developer can match Samsung gimmicks I can make a lens that do nothing and call it beauty. I can make you a picture with sound app. I can make you a scroll to tilt browser and scroll to tilt gallery. I can emulate that hover your finger with either better UI or long tap. I can use the front camera for the weave gestures. So if nokia really want's they can do it. But it's about user experience not throwing gimmicks in there. People love the idea no the features. They didn't even used them and as stated the reviewers were not thrilled by the way they work. And people buy them because they are oversaturated with marketing and they have no comprehension of what owning a android phones means(yet they are still behind iphone).

I have a HTC 8x and I have no problems with the battery. I have a ****ty cable at office and at home and I can charge whenever I want and I don't have problems anyway. I have also an S3 and the s3 battery with some crap installed in the phone is worse than my 8x. About whatsapp you are absolutely true. They are lazy and self-important and choose to use an ugly hack to stay in background like on android by pretending to be a music player apps. My only regret here is Microsoft not having the balls to ban their app. Looking at drainage in percentage is useless. Drainage is not linear so saying you lost 1 percent in 1 hour means nothing and can't be used to say you have 100 hours of using the phone that way.

They are malware I did not read user comments about that I read security studies. I made malware for android and put them in market without fear so I talk from both experience and respected studies. The OEMs have engineers, people with experience in android that they can't throw away because they still have to support the phones they have on the market so investing in another team of engineers and support and repair shops for a new platform is kind of too much for them in they current state.

Nokia on Android will be as bland as lg or htc on android and it's clearly they don't have money for marketing. So they will not be able to do anything on android ecosystem considering also they want to be used in business scenarios(you kind of need better security there). They could had try to make 2 phones create an android division and keep it for 5 years operational and drain money on it and gain nothing.

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

As a consumer for getting a new smartphone, the most important is we can use some basic features on it. Then we can share information easily and it does make our life easier & happier as we are connected . As our friends and my family members enjoyed to share our children video everyday. It makes my parents & relative happy and it motivates my parents to start using smartphone . No matter it is iPhone or Samsung or htc or Motorola which works very well. It is amazing for my family.

But for winow phone , no matter how good Nokia quality is. Sharing information like video is not working. What have Microsoft been doing for the past few years ? This is really disappointed and I think Bill Gate will shame on his product either if he know about it.

Conclusion:

iPhone -- iOS works well for basic features.
Htc, samsung, motorola, LG , Lenova, Acer, ......using Android --- All work very well.
windows phone ------- basic features like sending video through Whatsapp is not working .

What is the point for buying WP that does not work ?

Austin

Austin

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

I totally agree with you have mentioned above.

As a consumer for getting a new smartphone, the most important is we can use some basic features on it. Then we can share information easily and it does make our life easier & happier as we are connected . As our friends and my family members enjoyed to share our children video everyday. It makes my parents & relative happy and it motivates my parents to start using smartphone . No matter it is iPhone or Samsung or htc or Motorola which works very well. It is amazing for my family.

But for winow phone , no matter how good Nokia quality is. Sharing information like video is not working. What have Microsoft been doing for the past few years ? This is really disappointed and I think Bill Gate will shame on his product either if he know about it.

Austin

I agree with you that video sharing is an important missing feature. MS documentation states that there is problem with sharing video due to bandwidth constraints and drm rights. I believe it's more about drm rights. Honestly the wp8 os when it launched it had a lot of unfinished areas. So I assume it will take another update or the big blue update for this to be settled.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

iPhone -- iOS works well for basic features.
Htc, samsung, motorola, LG , Lenova, Acer, ......using Android --- All work very well.
windows phone ------- basic features like sending video through Whatsapp is not working .

How a 3rd party apps works and what it can and can't do is not a basic feature of the smartphone. Pleas no one is stopping you from sharing a video. You can share it on facebook or skydrive. So if you really want to share a video you can. I just can't share it on whatsapp. Upload it to skydrive and send the damn link and be done with it. Yes it's more convoluted and difficult and less user friendly but not impossible. This is a missing feature not a show stop thing. It's not like you can't share videos at all

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

I do rally hope that WP Blue will coming soon for fixing the video sharing issue.

I do hope that window blue or wp9 will make the interface $ background look more flexible or just square box in dead/ solid color too.

Waiting for it.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

I do hope that window blue or wp9 will make the interface $ background look more flexible or just square box in dead/ solid color too.
Waiting for it.

Google replicated the metro simple interface in their last os versions and apple also stated they are moving toward flat interfaces. So I think this will become more standard not less.

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

For Facebook, you can only post the video on wall but again can not attach through messaging on FB.

Also the most popular social Chatt in China talking about billion users like using WeChatt -- can not attach video at all.

Uploading video to sky drive takes time & ithe speed depends on the Internet zone in different countries too.

Last edited:

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

For Facebook, you can only post the video on wall but again can not attach through messaging on FB.

Also the most popular social Chatt in China talking about billion users like using WeChatt -- can not attach video at all.

Uploading video to sky drive takes time & ithe speed depends on the Internet zone in different countries too.

Uploading a video by 3rd party apps takes time and the speed still depends on many factors no matter where you are :)

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Ppl won't take so much time for uploading the video & then not sure how to........send it out through the App. Even after uploading the video to skydive, you still can nor share it though Whatsapp or WeChatt .

In general, People would prefer using a simple android or iPhone to send it out directly though Whatsapp or wechatts without thinking. Especially for older people who also know how to send video through iphone or android phone on whatsapp or wechatts directly . This is what we call a smartphone. I do not think that WP is a smartphone, just similar o feature phone as it is ...complicated to get things work out & even not working.

Microsoft ------ Just make it work, this not Rocket science ! Even Samsung own OS or some local Chinese mobile OS can do this. IF the reporter announce this video issue on Asian popular magazines or popular newspaper, I can guaranteed no one is willing to get WIndows Phone in Asia at least.

Last edited:

Stonned

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

black lumia 920 to htc one.i still love wp8 tho.but htc one is a seductive device.no way to resist :)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Ppl won't take so much time for uploading the video & then not sure how to........send it out through the App. Even after uploading the video to skydive, you still can nor share it though Whatsapp or WeChatt .

In general, People would prefer using a simple android or iPhone to send it out directly though Whatsapp or wechatts without thinking. Especially for older people who also know how to send video through iphone or android phone on whatsapp or wechatts directly . This is what we call a smartphone. I do not think that WP is a smartphone, just similar o feature phone as it is ...complicated to get things work out & even not working.

Microsoft ------ Just make it work, this not Rocket science ! Even Samsung own OS or some local Chinese mobile OS can do this. IF the reporter announce this video issue on Asian popular magazines or popular newspaper, I can guaranteed no one is willing to get WIndows Phone in Asia at least.

Cloud is smart. You can share the link of video once it is on Skydrive. You only upload one time and you use data only for that one upload. Then you just copy the link and share to to 50,000 people. So if your video was 10 mb, by uploading to Skydrive you only use 10mb of your data allowance even when you send that link to 50,000 people (considering that sending text is in minimal KBs on whatsapp). However, if you send "direct" video as you've suggested, you are sending 500,000 mb of data when you send this to 50,000 people. So no thank you, I am happy with this feature phone that doesn't cost my data allowances. At least my old grandmum doesn't have to worry how much data she uses up when she is sharing a video of her cat with the whole neighbourhood or entire country!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3