Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swag_global

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Hey guys, I'm selling my lumia 920 at&t so I can get an factory unlocked version as I'm about to intern for 6 months in another country, is there a specific version I should buy??? and can u post a link plz............ thanks!!!

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

So I've decided to leave Windows Phone after just 9 months and 2 lumia handsets, L900 and L820.

There are just so many things lacking and the fact that Microsoft is moving like a snail getting updates out and seem very half hearted for their own system, it just drives me away more.

Missing apps that I really find useless are BBC iPlayer, 4od, and the fact that flash is missing too i'd be useful to me. The Facebook app is lacking beyond belief and notifications are pathetic.

No ability to store apps and other stuff like maps files on the SD card is a major down as I have to decide which ones I want to keep and which ones I have to remove. The other storage takes up far too much space too.

No Viber, WhatsApp is crap, small stuff like no ability to send videos and Mp3 on WeChat and WhatsApp add to the reasons.

Missing important banking apps that I need like Nationwide and Lloyds TSB. Other small stuff like offline tagging for music in Shazam is not available in WP as im a big fan of underground music and with no signal in underground music clubs its no good for me.

Another app not on WP which would be so useful to me is BT SmartTalk.

Getting notifications for Skype 3 days late and 1week later for facebook is a joke.

Limitations on WP like not being able to upload stuff in best quality over 3G is stupid, its not all our problem if some networks are cheap and don't allow truly unlimited data.

Hopefully they improve in WP9 and most likely if all the on-going issues are fixed i'll come back no doubt but for now hello Android and hello Sony Xperia Z.

My contract is up for an upgrade and I've just taken it out and save ?2 per month too which is a plus :D

Also the fact that Facebook chat integration is shockingly poor and doesn't always work properly. I've tested and not all messages you send someone actually get through. Also I would have liked Facebook Messenger would have been a bonus.

I feel so bad leaving Windows Phone, almost as if i'd just ditched my best friend somewhere! I never felt like this before leaving other phones or iOS!

Goodbye Windows Phone, hope you get better in the future!

EDIT:

I'd also like to add I am getting second thoughts with the Sony Xperia Z and kind of swaying to the HTC One Black (black version being delayed until 30th April on my network) so maybe they have until then to sort out my issues, hopefully they do.

I'll sleep on it!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

So I've decided to leave Windows Phone after just 9 months and 2 lumia handsets, L900 and L820.

There are just so many things lacking and the fact that Microsoft is moving like a snail getting updates out and seem very half hearted for their own system, it just drives me away more.

Missing apps that I really find useless are BBC iPlayer, 4od, and the fact that flash is missing too i'd be useful to me. The Facebook app is lacking beyond belief and notifications are pathetic.

No ability to store apps and other stuff like maps files on the SD card is a major down as I have to decide which ones I want to keep and which ones I have to remove. The other storage takes up far too much space too.

No Viber, WhatsApp is crap, small stuff like no ability to send videos and Mp3 on WeChat and WhatsApp add to the reasons.

Missing important banking apps that I need like Nationwide and Lloyds TSB. Other small stuff like offline tagging for music in Shazam is not available in WP as im a big fan of underground music and with no signal in underground music clubs its no good for me.

Another app not on WP which would be so useful to me is BT SmartTalk.

Getting notifications for Skype 3 days late and 1week later for facebook is a joke.

Limitations on WP like not being able to upload stuff in best quality over 3G is stupid, its not all our problem if some networks are cheap and don't allow truly unlimited data.

Hopefully they improve in WP9 and most likely if all the on-going issues are fixed i'll come back no doubt but for now hello Android and hello Sony Xperia Z.

My contract is up for an upgrade and I've just taken it out and save ?2 per month too which is a plus :D

Also the fact that Facebook chat integration is shockingly poor and doesn't always work properly. I've tested and not all messages you send someone actually get through. Also I would have liked Facebook Messenger would have been a bonus.

I feel so bad leaving Windows Phone, almost as if i'd just ditched my best friend somewhere! I never felt like this before leaving other phones or iOS!

Goodbye Windows Phone, hope you get better in the future!

EDIT:

I'd also like to add I am getting second thoughts with the Sony Xperia Z and kind of swaying to the HTC One Black (black version being delayed until 30th April on my network) so maybe they have until then to sort out my issues, hopefully they do.

I'll sleep on it!

Not that I will even want anyone posting in this thread to re-think their decision, but I read that post twice now. The ones I put in bold are your reasons as limitation of WP - but they are all apps. We all know right from day 1 that apps are going to be slow. iOS and Android have their numbers after 5+ years!

I could only see three reasons - SD card storage/other storage, notifications and FB integration - as reasons that could be "WP limitations" - SD card one with a better non-SD card dependent phone can be overcome. Other two probably can't until WP Blue.

Your decisions are more based on the frustration that you aren't getting the apps you want and probably you thought that with WP8 apps will be there in 3-4 months?

Hope you enjoy Sony Xperia - perhaps try a Nexus? Cheap and vanilla Android? More chances of lag-free experience?

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Not that I will even want anyone posting in this thread to re-think their decision, but I read that post twice now. The ones I put in bold are your reasons as limitation of WP - but they are all apps. We all know right from day 1 that apps are going to be slow. iOS and Android have their numbers after 5+ years!

I could only see three reasons - SD card storage/other storage, notifications and FB integration - as reasons that could be "WP limitations" - SD card one with a better non-SD card dependent phone can be overcome. Other two probably can't until WP Blue.

Your decisions are more based on the frustration that you aren't getting the apps you want and probably you thought that with WP8 apps will be there in 3-4 months?

Hope you enjoy Sony Xperia - perhaps try a Nexus? Cheap and vanilla Android? More chances of lag-free experience?
He's not complaining about the lack of apps. He's complaining about how the ones that are there are just crap. Facebook app has been there for 3 years now and it's still garbage. WhatsApp has been on the platform for over a year and it's garbage. Skype was suppose to be the best on WP8, turns out its a train wreck of an app. Any sane human would take a bit of lag from Android if it means fully functional apps. Or he can go the iOS way; totally lag free and fully functional apps. As soon as I got rid of my Lumia 920 to get an iPhone 5 I was pleasantly surprised to see the fully featured Skype and Facebook app with notifications that actually worked, and WhatsApp that didn't annihilate my battery.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Cloud is smart. You can share the link of video once it is on Skydrive. You only upload one time and you use data only for that one upload. Then you just copy the link and share to to 50,000 people. So if your video was 10 mb, by uploading to Skydrive you only use 10mb of your data allowance even when you send that link to 50,000 people (considering that sending text is in minimal KBs on whatsapp). However, if you send "direct" video as you've suggested, you are sending 500,000 mb of data when you send this to 50,000 people. So no thank you, I am happy with this feature phone that doesn't cost my data allowances. At least my old grandmum doesn't have to worry how much data she uses up when she is sharing a video of her cat with the whole neighbourhood or entire country!
You're forgetting that cloud services exist on iOS and Android too. All that you said can be done on iOS and Android. But people don't do it. Because it's insanely inconvenient.

m4tthall

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

So I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet that came free with my TV. Am I the only one that doesn't see why people go on about the Android Facebook app? Yes, it has more functionality than the WP one but it is MUCH more buggy and prone to crashing. I gave up using it. I think the WP works OK it is just missing a few features.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

So I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet that came free with my TV. Am I the only one that doesn't see why people go on about the Android Facebook app? Yes, it has more functionality than the WP one but it is MUCH more buggy and prone to crashing. I gave up using it. I think the WP works OK it is just missing a few features.
You must have some really old Gingerbread based Galaxy Tablet. On my One X the Facebook app works perfectly fine. No crashes, no nothing. Beats the crap out of that embarrassment of an app that's Facebook for Windows Phone.

m4tthall

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

You must have some really old Gingerbread based Galaxy Tablet. On my One X the Facebook app works perfectly fine. No crashes, no nothing. Beats the crap out of that embarrassment of an app that's Facebook for Windows Phone.

Nope, Jellybean

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

You're forgetting that cloud services exist on iOS and Android too. All that you said can be done on iOS and Android. But people don't do it. Because it's insanely inconvenient.

I never said it doesn't exist. I said its clever. If people are so irrational to choose to use 500,000 mb in upload instead of 50 mb in upload, iOS and Android are specifically designed smartphone OS for these smart users.

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with all of the Above. Is too slow for the update .

Hope that window 9 can fix all the above issues.

You make the right choices as Android works for all of them and it costs the same. I do not see the points for using something that does not work.

Austin

I believe so, it is nconvenient. Why I buy a smartphone for using Whatsapp. It is just because it is easy to use , send it out quickly . that's the point. WP is useless now for me. So I prefer using iPhone or any android phone now.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

He's not complaining about the lack of apps. He's complaining about how the ones that are there are just crap. Facebook app has been there for 3 years now and it's still garbage. WhatsApp has been on the platform for over a year and it's garbage. Skype was suppose to be the best on WP8, turns out its a train wreck of an app. Any sane human would take a bit of lag from Android if it means fully functional apps. Or he can go the iOS way; totally lag free and fully functional apps. As soon as I got rid of my Lumia 920 to get an iPhone 5 I was pleasantly surprised to see the fully featured Skype and Facebook app with notifications that actually worked, and WhatsApp that didn't annihilate my battery.

That still doesn't make it an OS limitation.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

That still doesn't make it an OS limitation.
I don't know. After 3 years we don't have any decent IM client I'm beginning to think it might be an OS limitation on how it handles these type of connections. The only decent client is IM+ and even that is terrible. Every time you open it it takes 5 seconds to reconnect to the relevant service. Use it on iOS and it takes half a second to reconnect.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

I never said it doesn't exist. I said its clever. If people are so irrational to choose to use 500,000 mb in upload instead of 50 mb in upload, iOS and Android are specifically designed smartphone OS for these smart users.
People use it because that's how they want it. I don't have any data usage worries, why should I have to subject myself to this insanely cumbersome method of first uploading it to Sky Drive and then provide the link; when I can simply send it directly on WhatsApp and the receiver can easily view it on WhatsApp. And don't even get me started on what uploading to Sky Drive does to the 'other' storage.
It's an asinine limitation by Microsoft and I hope they fix it in the future. Windows Phone is suppose to be about doing things QUICKLY, not taking extra 10 steps to do it.

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

I don't know. After 3 years we don't have any decent IM client I'm beginning to think it might be an OS limitation on how it handles these type of connections. The only decent client is IM+ and even that is terrible. Every time you open it it takes 5 seconds to reconnect to the relevant service. Use it on iOS and it takes half a second to reconnect.

You are correct. WP OS is sucks and is far behind IOS & Andriod for sure. For example , WP OS can not allow Apps developer to access it's video library and this is why User can not use this video features. it took Microsoft more than three years to develop window mobile OS but still not work. As the management team of Microsoft is getting messed up nd not coordinated well enough for it. They outsource theIr devlopment Team but is well not managed at all. This Create limitations of its OS.

For receiving Email, or Bluetooth etc, is really not performing as well as IPhone too. It takes longer time and even just got stucked.

Windows OS is pending for lot of improvement.

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

People use it because that's how they want it. I don't have any data usage worries, why should I have to subject myself to this insanely cumbersome method of first uploading it to Sky Drive and then provide the link; when I can simply send it directly on WhatsApp and the receiver can easily view it on WhatsApp. And don't even get me started on what uploading to Sky Drive does to the 'other' storage.
It's an asinine limitation by Microsoft and I hope they fix it in the future. Windows Phone is suppose to be about doing things QUICKLY, not taking extra 10 steps to do it.

I would recommend to buy a smartphone that work. That is simple, no matter it is an iPhone or any other Android phone. as long as it works and easy to use. Don't make me think !

For me, I will not waste my time going through such complicated process for sending video. I better use my iPhone or android phone that work well instead of using garbage WP.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I would recommend to buy a smartphone that work. That is simple, no matter it is an iPhone or any other Android phone. as long as it works and easy to use. Don't make me think !

For me, I will not waste my time going through such complicated process for sending video. I better use my iPhone or android phone that work well instead of using garbage WP.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I love my WP. Works beautifully with everything I have (Win8 & Xbox 360) and feels like it just works. Everyone has different needs, but to say WP is garbage for everyone (as you were implying with your post) isn't required. Sure, I'm a moderator, and I will accept that the platform does need work, but it works best for me.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

You are correct. WP OS is sucks and is far behind IOS & Andriod for sure. For example , WP OS can not allow Apps developer to access it's video library and this is why User can not use this video features. it took Microsoft more than three years to develop window mobile OS but still not work. As the management team of Microsoft is getting messed up nd not coordinated well enough for it. They outsource theIr devlopment Team but is well not managed at all. This Create limitations of its OS.

For receiving Email, or Bluetooth etc, is really not performing as well as IPhone too. It takes longer time and even just got stucked.

Windows OS is pending for lot of improvement.
Most of your claims seem like you know a lot about management at Microsoft :|

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

I love WP, but all these issues popping up is already tarnishing the already-rusty mobile platform. So much for Windows Phone's so-called "simplicity" as its user interface implies if it takes an extra 15 steps to do something that would relatively be quick on Android and even iOS.

I'm keeping my Lumia 710 as my main driver until I either get my Lumia 920 back from Nokia or I just request a refund and go with an HTC One. ****, even an iPhone 5 sounds like a great option right now.

wcrm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

She says that the games aren't coming because WP uses the "proprietary Direct X". I guess that's also why Windows and Xbox have so few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo