Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

If Microsoft can release Windows Blue or Win 9 for solving sending Vedio or Mp3 through Using Whatsapp
& China WeChatts Apps; facebook etc..........and then more popular apps like Instagram & Candy Crush game ........etc....... within the next half year along with Nokia quality & innovative phone. I strongly believe that WP will succeed.

Create a folder inside Pictures folder, then put your video files there. You'll be able to view them from Photos app, and send them via Bluetooth or anything, you'll actually have the share option :)

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

I'm wondering, even if we do upload the video to Sky Drive and send that link to WhatsApp on iOS, will the iPhone be able to play that video?
Just responding to your earlier posts. The only difference between you and I is that I am still using a Windows Phone (L920) as my only mobile, but I completely agree with what you have said on this thread. It's not so much of WP being closed is it is the Microsoft team completely dropping the ball on delivering this product. For God's sake they've got it on the NT-kernel, why can't they shift their paradigm and emulate key elements of Android - i.e. the flexibility developers have in accessing core aspects of the OS, e.g. file management, among many other things.

I played around with a Nexus 7 for two days, and I only returned it because I couldn't fit it into my usage patterns but I am certain I could so with a solid Android phone. Looking back, I agree with Microsoft's idea in locking the UI down, sure, keep things simple and elegant, but if you're unable to keep up with the industry with regards to functionality, then why control it? Just stick with ensuring UI conformity, but leave it to the developers to do the rest by giving them the access and functionality they need in order to get stuff done! That is the only way you'll have even as much of a real chance at taking on Android and iOS. In fact, if you can demonstrate to developers that Windows Phone (from a functionality standpoint) is as 'open' and 'flexible' as Android, you'll have them on board, and pairing that Android-like power with the iOS-like elegance and visual UI conformity is bound to be a stellar combination. In fact, that could very well disturb the current market inside and out.

In fact, that really should have been the goal with Windows Phone 8 from day one. Tell everyone, "look, we [Microsoft] want to ensure that the UI is simple, clean and elegant for the end-user, we don't want people overwhelmed by a dozen widget options...but at the same time, we don't want to tie up the hands of developers and power-users...so guess what, as long as you ensure that you follow our Metro perspective, you're free to develop for Windows Phone as you would with Android...and if you're a power-user, then accessing the phone's file management, configuring it to work the way you want is just a menu way..." Done, done, done.

cory.stapleton25

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Great read up above, I really appreciate your honestly in your review. I have a lot of friends who feel the same way, and WP8 isn't for EVERYBODY, but like you said, I bet there are a lot if iPhone users that would enjoy a Windows Phone just as much, if not more than their iPhone. It all comes down to preference. IMO, Windows Phone is better 2 and a half years in than iPhone or Android was, but then again that's probably because technology is exponential, but I digress.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I ended up getting the lg Optimus g. I saw the htc one but had bad flash backs to my last htc phones . My G got the jellybean update on it and I refuse to ever root ( I never understood the need to do it). Anyway I miss the live tiles, but WP8 needs more cooking time. I really hope msft gets it together.

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I know I'm gonna get in trouble for saying this, but I feel I have to. Get the Q10! It's such a damn good looking phone, with great hardware and an awesome operating system. That's not to say there's anything wrong with WP8, but if qwerty means that much to you, than I would highly recommend it.

switchthreesixty

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Bamboozled by the Lumia 920 promise

It has been frustrating. Side note: I must have been trying to copy a number in an edit mode instead of the standard people app. See I know that some of these issues are indeed a faulty phone. But, I just can't get over how Nokia just choose to not admit it, that it at least did not recommend sending it in. Instead they just sent me a canned general form on settings and software updates. That is the rub. I ended up sending it back to ATT, luckily they allowed me out of my contract if I sent it back and switched to the HTC One, wow what a difference. But, oddly enough when I did a phone reset with the Lumia to wipe my personal information it got to the gears spinning. It did that for an hour. I manually reset, and again the gears continue to just turn until the battery wore out another hour later. So yes obviously it had some hardware issues.
I run a small business and I am just dumb founded. If a customer sent me a similar email with these issues, I would say, that doesn't seem right, send it in and we will get it fixed and get you (the customer) set up right, assuming there are no signs of user abuse to the product. I mean, I don't understand why this is so hard for major companies to do this. As a small business owner there is simply no way I'd let this happen. But poor customer service isn't the whole picture. There are so many software issues I would recommend steering far clear of this OS. Microsoft is so so far from polishing this OS. I question if they even understand mobile. I doubt they will even catch up with IOS and android within two years, let alone offer unique or better services that one could even argue has surpassed the other OS's.
Good Riddance to the Lumia.

ripple23

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 to HTC one

Okay, bit the bullet and got a HTC One.

Using both devices intermittently, and I have to say HTC has a superb device on hand. It is THAT good.

What I miss from the Nokia 920 :

synaptic super-sensitive touch
xbox games
nokia music

That is about it. For everything else there is the HTC One. Already loving Flipboard (on the super crisp display) and Google currents on it. Swift-key blows every keyboard i've used till now. Really fine device. I mean this device surpasses Apple's build quality.

I don't care much for apps. But it is very clear to me that Windows Phone has a long way to go after using it for 6-8 months.

I sincerely hope HTC sells a ton of these and somehow overcomes Samsung's massive marketing machine.

I do hope that the WP8 platform improves as I have no plans to give up my much loved lumia 920.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 920 to HTC one

I don't see why people have to keep creating posts every time they change a phone. I don't see how it adds anything worthy of discussion. You should post this on a HTC One forum, not on a 920 forum.

I personally enjoy reading about peoples experiences switching devices!

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

I've messed around with the One quite a bit, and I like the phone a lot. From the pictures I took, they seemed really pretty good. Didn't get a chance for low light though. Of course, being able to zoom in while recording videos is always a plus, given the 920 can't do that.

While I would enjoy using the blink feed, I've heard it's non-removable at the moment lol.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm a die-hard WP8 lover and comparing to other OS phones is a fun thing to do. You see what's missing, and then see how WP8 will tackle these issues in future updates. It's quite exciting being part of an OS that's building up so don't hate on these type of posts people. People enjoy them.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm holding on to my 920 too. For now I'm loving my Optimus G...think I'll be getting the G Pro when it comes out and give the G to my wife as her old LG Nitro HD has a cracked screen.

Hans820

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Switched from 820 to 920, and loving it but so far build quality seems better on my 820 even though it has interchangeable shell

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Create a folder inside Pictures folder, then put your video files there. You'll be able to view them from Photos app, and send them via Bluetooth or anything, you'll actually have the share option :)

If someone living in New York and the other living in LA, but they want to share their prerecord videos, you need to Whatsapp each other is the easiest and fastest way. How you can share with Bluetooth ?

austinlam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

I have never done this before (watching a video from an email), but where is the problem? You said in your other posting that you wanted to show your client a video you recieved with an email...now you say you are able to watch it (but not download it). why do you have to download a video if you just want to show it to your client? Why did you send it to him so you can watch it on his iPhone? Does not make any sens to me...

My client need to download the video and keep watching it offline. sencond my client wants share the downloaded video using Whatsapp
And Facebook posting & posting it on YouTube too, So his staff can take a look of the video too.

I need to download it and open it offline later. I can

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

After a very satisfied user of the HTC Arrive for the past 2+ years, as much as I would've loved to try a WP8 device, I'm moving to T-Mobile (from Sprint) due to their much more attractive family plan and T-Mo currently doesn't offer a flagship WP8 phone. After using a mid-range phone for 2+ years, I really want a flagship device this time around so I decided to try out the HTC One.

PS. I may pick up a Lumia 521 for $150 from HSN this weekend to keep me in the WP8 ecosystem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6