Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Unless the issues are fixed and extra features are added, it's not going to change. Even Google were updating Android at a reasonable pace. I just got Android 4.3 on my Nexus 7 today! Not many changes, but that profile thingy is quite useful.

munchk

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Google are definitely slowing down on the update front. Given device proliferation and platform maturity its expected. I would hope that the early days of windows mobile would have seen lots of small updates in adding / fixing some of these issues...

Kenntak

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

Have to join this thread.

I have had Lumia 800, Htc 8x and are running Lumia 920 right now.
No problem with my phones and all have working as planed.

Have said that..when my contract ends this november i will not chose a WP phone.
I have given wp a fair chanse and the Os is really nice but the lack off every day stuff like volum, sms-tones, and allt lot more that just aren?t there. Save a .gif and Watch it in your album?

GDR2 wont do it for me, not even GDR3. Why have a hig end phone when you aren?t able to do the basic. And when apps like FB, skype and so on are not even working as they should.
I can also agree with many of the other folks in here. Or get sent a email, why do you allways have to download the included file?

Just take a look on a Iphone forum or android and compere to ours.

I Watch the Wp forum lika a Hawk just to se if there are som god news.
But often the Headlines are about som app...woohoo, apps are god, but really. I need news, a glance at the future. More phones, and not only Nokia who is pissing out phone like there is now tomorrow. I need more Microsoft. And the biggest of them all, i want MS to listen to all of us. And not give us GDR updates. Once agian, look at Google. For evry update they are handing out something new and often useful is added.
The only thing i have noticed from WP7 to WP8 is small livetiles and a FM radio...o sorry and a new boot logo!

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

Have to join this thread.
I have given wp a fair chanse and the Os is really nice but the lack off every day stuff like volum, sms-tones, and allt lot more that just aren?t there. Save a .gif and Watch it in your album?

GDR2 wont do it for me, not even GDR3. Why have a hig end phone when you aren?t able to do the basic. And when apps like FB, skype and so on are not even working as they should.
I can also agree with many of the other folks in here. Or get sent a email, why do you allways have to download the included file?
Lack of volume? What do you mean, exactly? I understand your frustration with the lack of first party apps, or them not working as they should.

Just take a look on a Iphone forum or android and compere to ours.
Ok. I see the same thing. Users discussing the platform, getting help with issues, and having a good time. Perhaps you mean the quantity of users there? WP is a growing community. I'm sure Android/Iphone forums would look like ours if their respective platforms were in the same stage.

I Watch the Wp forum lika a Hawk just to se if there are som god news.
But often the Headlines are about som app...woohoo, apps are god, but really. I need news, a glance at the future. More phones, and not only Nokia who is pissing out phone like there is now tomorrow. I need more Microsoft.
Considering you were just complaining about apps, I'd think news about them would be a good thing to you. As for a glance into the future, the very phones Nokia are "pissing out" are a pretty good look (Lumia 1020, different than any phone before it). Plus there's always news of new software and updates for WP.

And the biggest of them all, i want MS to listen to all of us.
I do too, I do too.

And not give us GDR updates. Once agian, look at Google. For evry update they are handing out something new and often useful is added.
The only thing i have noticed from WP7 to WP8 is small livetiles and a FM radio...o sorry and a new boot logo!
Yes but what good are Google's updates if you never get them? As far as WP7 to WP8, there were major changes. A few on the visible side (as you mentioned with the tiles), but huge ones on the inside. WP8 is running the common core (it's now based on the same thing running your desktop Windows, or roughly the same thing if you're not on Windows 8). Hardly just new tiles and a "new boot logo."

I'm not trying to sound rude or hostile, and I wish you luck with whatever mobile OS you decide on. I'm sorry WP didn't do it for you.

Kenntak

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

Lack of volume? What do you mean, exactly? I understand your frustration with the lack of first party apps, or them not working as they should.

Ok. I see the same thing. Users discussing the platform, getting help with issues, and having a good time. Perhaps you mean the quantity of users there? WP is a growing community. I'm sure Android/Iphone forums would look like ours if their respective platforms were in the same stage.

Considering you were just complaining about apps, I'd think news about them would be a good thing to you. As for a glance into the future, the very phones Nokia are "pissing out" are a pretty good look (Lumia 1020, different than any phone before it). Plus there's always news of new software and updates for WP.

I do too, I do too.

Yes but what good are Google's updates if you never get them? As far as WP7 to WP8, there were major changes. A few on the visible side (as you mentioned with the tiles), but huge ones on the inside. WP8 is running the common core (it's now based on the same thing running your desktop Windows, or roughly the same thing if you're not on Windows 8). Hardly just new tiles and a "new boot logo."

I'm not trying to sound rude or hostile, and I wish you luck with whatever mobile OS you decide on. I'm sorry WP didn't do it for you.

Sorry, not lack off volume. It?s god and loud:) what i mean is that you have 0-30 on all, you can?t have sms in 15, media in 10, alarm in 25 and ringtone in 20. My English isen?t the best so i hope you understand what i mean! And yes the apps are a bit frustrating, not the lack of it but how they work. I use the bad two, Facebook, skype verry often. And i miss the support from Spotify and so on.

Ok, the forum part. Wp forum is great, good folks, a nice attitude and so on. But the news that are coming out is only(i know) Nokia, Nokia,nokia.. I whant more news like, A small update wil bring you sms-tones. And 2 weeks later Another will bring you a new lockscreen.

? understand that the inside i all new, but try telling that to other person or the big mass. Car A is "old" Then they reales car B, Everything in Car B is new, but you cant see it, for the big mass it?s still look like Car A. Would you buy Car B knowing what you know?

Noe, you don?t sound hostile and i really like to have a discussion with a person who can talk for his sake.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Sadly, after what I have read about the latest update, it's not going to fix my main issue. Music.

I no longer want to carry my iPod around. The duplicates, money i've spent on the "right" SD cards that never work. But really, no company putting out a new OS to rival Android and iOS should allow the music problems infesting this device to go on 9 months. It's nothing short of asinine.

So, this looks like it for me.

I'd rather have a phone OS I don't like on which the basic functions work properly than an OS I really enjoy that doesn't do the basics.

I mean, really? 9 months?

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site

For 16 months, I had used an LC Quantum C900B unlocked. It was the first smartphone I had ever owned. Then, two months ago, I was eyeing a Lumia 920 and an ATIV S. I found the latter for a great price, brand new and unlocked, so I've been using it since. I love the screen size; it more or less replaces the tablet that I bought last year.

Pelle Lbergh

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

I too am tired of crappy, buggy apps that doesn't work as they're supposed to. And lack of first party or officially endorsed apps.

Daniel Gary and Rudy Huyn are good guys, but instance is buggy as hell and I don't understand all the praise for 6sec which also is buggy with random crashes, vines not playing etc.

And then we have Kik messenger.. it hasn't been updated like ever.

With that said, wp8 is a nice OS but I'm fed up with the inability of MS to get the major apps.

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

I enjoy using my 920. Have another year to go with it before the next upgrade. Hopefully things will come together over that time frame so that I want to stay with it. While I don't use all the apps many would like here it would be nice to have the ones I do work. If things haven't come around in 12 months I may have to move on.

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

Sorry, not lack off volume. It?s god and loud:) what i mean is that you have 0-30 on all, you can?t have sms in 15, media in 10, alarm in 25 and ringtone in 20. My English isen?t the best so i hope you understand what i mean! And yes the apps are a bit frustrating, not the lack of it but how they work. I use the bad two, Facebook, skype verry often. And i miss the support from Spotify and so on.

Ok, the forum part. Wp forum is great, good folks, a nice attitude and so on. But the news that are coming out is only(i know) Nokia, Nokia,nokia.. I whant more news like, A small update wil bring you sms-tones. And 2 weeks later Another will bring you a new lockscreen.

? understand that the inside i all new, but try telling that to other person or the big mass. Car A is "old" Then they reales car B, Everything in Car B is new, but you cant see it, for the big mass it?s still look like Car A. Would you buy Car B knowing what you know?

Noe, you don?t sound hostile and i really like to have a discussion with a person who can talk for his sake.
Ah, ok that clears some things up. Yeah the volume thing seems kind of annoying. It would be great if apps worked better and were more supported, I agree. Nokia is the biggest thing in WP hardware, so it gets talked about the most.

Oh and car A would not run as good as Car B, so I'd buy Car B being educated on what each had under the hood. Other people who were less informed about the cars might not see the difference right off the bat, but by getting in and driving it they'd be able to tell there were improvements. But if they couldn't they could always head to the dealer across the street ;)

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site

No issues going from a 920 to a 1020.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Or get sent a email, why do you allways have to download the included file?

The reason they do this is, what if you get a 12MB file and you're on a limited data plan...would you rather MS just go ahead and download this large file and eat up your data - or would you rather them give you the choice to download it or not?

MS (even Android nor Apple) are never going to please everyone. From a psychological standpoint, once your mind determines you're agitated with something, you'll start finding every little thing wrong to substantiate your dislike.

I'm happy with my L928 - even with it's shortcomings. However, I'm really starting to see the number of people who want features the same as every other OS. MS's shortfall is probably that they are focusing so much on setting themselves apart from Android and Apple that they've overshot their target by not keeping what has become familiar to everyone. While I couldn't care less about Instagram or Vine or even volume controls for SMS/Phone...a lot of people do care about these things.

So, while I might not care about some of the shortcomings that are deal breakers for others - I hope MS/Nokia implement them soon because if they don't, people will stop buying MS. When people stop buying MS, MS stops updating. When updating stops, that's when things really suck. For everyone - including me.

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Yes, among other shortcomings.

Yes, it's one of a number of deal breakers.

Which says quite a lot about you.

Shows that the old adage, "you don't know what you got until you lose it" is quite sage. Why search for something if you are not aware that you should be searching for it? Most people in the world buy iPhones or Android devices. Separating control of media volume from ringtone volume is standard on these devices (for good reason - it's sensible), and has been for some time. So most people in the world probably wouldn't think to search for the absence of that feature when investigating WP for the first time (you are obviously an exception to that) because they would expect it to be there.

If by that you mean envy of phones that can do the things that are smart, convenient, automated and fit the way I want to use a phone, then yes.

I can only repeat, "you don't know what you got until you lose it". Unless, of course you are advising that people should search for every feature and function that may be important and useful to them, even if they think it is something all smart phones should be able to do.

Or perhaps I did a reasonable amount of due diligence, as most people would do. And if complaints upset you, perhaps you should steer clear of online forums, or just stick to the "Why I love WP" threads.

BTW, if you're going to quote me in your posts, please either quote my entire post, or break it up so it's more obvious that there's bits missing or that you're only partially quoting paragraphs.

I agree with you on the individual volume profiles. I knew of some of the issues, but not that one. BIG disappointment that its missing such a simple feature. I am constantly checking what my volume is set at, and it never fails, I will miss calls and texts right after listening to music with headphones and forgetting to turn the volume up after I unplug the headphones. I have also had my ears blasted when I start listening to music because I forgot to turn the volume down.

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what it is..i went from the S4 to the 928 to the ip5 and back to the 928.

I love the 928 and what windows have become since the days of the HTc Arrive that I used when I was on Sprint.

The 928 is smooth, the feel is great and I love the screen in that its easy to see in direct sunlight. The battery life is not an issue for me and the camera is amazing.

The main reason I chose to stay with the 928 is because it has features that I can see myself using on a regular basis, like Nokia Here. Nothing against Android but when I had the S4 I NEVER used those hand gestures ... Lol. And the reason I didn't stay with the iPhone is because its too small, it felt like I was holding a toy telephone plus the the features on the iphone is slim to none and definitely outdated.

My Nokia is beautiful. I already had 6 - 10 people at work ask me what phone I had and really was stunned at the easiness of it as well as the live tiles. Some in fact is gonna switch over to Windows at the end of their contracts next month.

All in all, I think a lot of people is sleeping on Windows. A lot of people listen to these bias blogs like BGR and others and put windows down and have never even given it a try. IOS and Android didn't get to where their at in year. When android first came out, everybody was saying harsh thing about it because ios was so great. So now I guess its windows 8 turn...lol. People use the lack of apps, particularly Instagram, as the reason for windows not doing well. They can't complain or say anything else negative about the Windows 8 / Phones because there's nothing else to say. As far as I'm concerned the apps is coming. And if their not, they have great 3rd party apps to hold me over in the meantime.

Last edited:

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

Just moved from an HTC One to a HTC 8XT...the One is a great phone, and I had no problems with it at all. Just wanted to try something different for a while...its quite an adjustment, I'll say that! (Not bad or good, yet, just different.) I'm doing my best to learn and change from the Android way of doing things, to the WP8 methodology. So far, so good!

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site

Just played with a HTC One yesterday at an AT&T store, made me want to throw my L920 against the wall. I was getting advice from the tech on how to force an exchange since I've had to replace my Nokia 5 times already. The HTC start screen is gorgeous and has all the relevant information at a glance. I tried to stick it out with my L920, but the pathetic internet performance during voice calls was the last straw. I am definitely getting the HTC One if I can avoid it not counting against my next upgrade window.

greyowl99

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Why won't be getting a win 8 phone

Had a win 6.1 on Asus P750 for years then switched to Android ( Huawei G300 ) when microsoft left the market. I use my phone / contacts /calendar many times a day to talk with my customers ( I am a consulting engineer ) then back home sync with outlook on my PC ( don't have exchange ). OK I admit I'm a dinosaur - brought up programming PDP-11's - in the 70's. I use my phone to do calls and emails. Android does all of that with MPE ( free app ) to do the sync by usb or local LAN/wifi.

I was looking for a backup handset and thought I'd try Win 8 phones. Huawei have a cheap but very good Windows phone - W1 - which looked as if it would do fine. I thought - OK - its windows so I don't need to bother about office apps ( though Kingsoft on android works well for me ) and it will sync with outlook easily like the Android or win 6.1 Asus. Ha Ha - Ok I see you can do it via the cloud but really - when did microsoft deem it a GOOD IDEA to dump the simple functionality of activesync via a cable ( you remember the funny bit of wirey thing with a plug on each end ) for the hassle of adding yet more accounts and diving through hoops which anyone, from anywhere in the galaxy, would expect microsoft to do out of the box ?

I like the look of windows phones - I don't need many apps and those I do I get on one of my tablets ( PIPO M8pro or 7 inch S1). For me a phone is a business essential and . since its only me doing the work, I don't have a corporate infrastructure nor can I afford outlook exchange. The Huawei W1 does everything I want except for the minor problem of functionality.

Guess I'll just get another android - the Huawei y300 is only 70 GBP in the UK.

Pity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb