Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Thinkin of switching to HTC one, any thoughts?

edit : I advise you to wait for a snapdragon 800 model released by HTC.

Don't jump to One right now , its not such a nice product to get right now.

Try newest Xperia or see Note III or iPhone 5S.

Last edited:

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

I've decided to buy an iPhone instead of a 928. The 928's display is nice, but the iPhone's retina display was simply beautiful. I liked the way the 5 fit in my hand, as well as the hardware features (dedicated vibrate switch, nice for school). I also liked that there were a lot of official apps, especially one for youtube. I have to be stuck with the phone for two years, so I feel better about getting updates from Apple than from Verizon.

I'm planning to get either the 5 or the 5S after that comes out (hopefully sept. 10th)

I'll still stick around WPCentral, you guys are a wonderful community. :)

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Jumping ship..

The reason I chose windows phone is because of Nokia. I was already thinking of jumping ship because I'm tired of my phone being behind the competition and I STILL do not have a GDR2/Amber update for my 920 on ATT. Which is not about being patient anymore. It's now beyond ridiculous.

What happens now? Tired of waiting. Tired of not knowing. Tired of being "patient" and all the "coming soon" talk.

I'll be back if they become great.

Good luck everyone!

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Thinkin of switching to HTC one, any thoughts?

HTC One is a great phone, the best Android phone available today, IMO. However, if you can wait, some impressive hardware is on the horizon, including:

Sony Xperia Z1
LG G2

The Nexus 5 (or whatever it will be called) s/b announced very soon, as well. That phone's specs will determine my next move. I will likely be buying one of these 3 phones.

I've owned both Andriod and WP devices concurrently for the last two years straight, going back to my Focus, swapping my "main" sim every couple of weeks. This might change later, but if I could only own one phone, today, it would be Android.

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

This was my second stint with the Windows Phone. Tried a Lumia 800 before, left for a Galaxy S3, now using a Lumia 720, will leave as soon as the Note 3 is out.
Main reason? Apps. The medical apps inventory is still as bad as two years ago. No Medscape, which means I have to carry my IPad with me to work. This was my last attempt at WP. Not worth it IMO. Not a phone for health workers.

baroiic

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

Just got back to my nexus 4 from a Lumia 925. The lumia was a great looking phone, with great battery life, and a great camera and og course a really smooth OS. But was missing sine apps too much.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Just got back to my nexus 4 from a Lumia 925. The lumia was a great looking phone, with great battery life, and a great camera and og course a really smooth OS. But was missing sine apps too much.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

aw crap now I miss my old nexus 4

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

The app gap is hard for many to overcome, I get that. I can remember a time when the number of applications on iOS compared to Android was enough of an issue to prevent people from switching to Android or resulted in them switching back to iOS. The mobile landscape will change again a year or two from now and this disparity people are experiencing will not be as large as it is now, leaving most gripes to the overall OS experience and hardware.

Windows Phone is my favorite OS at the moment; minus the issue with missing applications there is more upside to this environment compared to iOS and Android.

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I'm just fed up with at&t not updating my ancient 920, and Microsoft sitting back doing nothing to improve the situation. Carriers won't be able to block updates with windows Phone 8 - LIE. We'll have an enthusiast program to get updates to fans earlier - LIE. I've had it. I picked up a firesale Nexus 4. I'm going to give that a try. If things turn around here maybe I'll be back. I'd love to see MS adopt the Nexus model now that they have brought Nokia into the fold for reals. I've enjoyed playing with Android on a tablet. Maybe I'll like it on a phone also. Time will tell...

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

I'm just fed up with at&t not updating my ancient 920, and Microsoft sitting back doing nothing to improve the situation. Carriers won't be able to block updates with windows Phone 8 - LIE. We'll have an enthusiast program to get updates to fans earlier - LIE. I've had it. I picked up a firesale Nexus 4. I'm going to give that a try. If things turn around here maybe I'll be back. I'd love to see MS adopt the Nexus model now that they have brought Nokia into the fold for reals. I've enjoyed playing with Android on a tablet. Maybe I'll like it on a phone also. Time will tell...
I have been with Windows Phone for 3 years now and all my phones have been unlocked. This we need to test the software is all bull if you ask me. All my windows phones have worked in the following country's with out the slightest hiccup. United Kingdom, Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, New Zealand. Its a shame Microsoft is to gutless to just give us the updates directly, As this is what they mentioned was possible when the announced WMP.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site

No one OS is good for everyone, but I really love the Windows Phone OS - Using since the version 7 that was just before Mango. Had been on Android (Galaxy Vibrant) and just didn't like the UI - the only one I liked was a theme someone invented simulating WP7 and ended up leaving it on for 2-3 months - and that was just mimicry - no real live tiles. When I finally saw WP in person it was love at first sight! Started with the HTC HD7 which was ok for a start. Went to Lumia 800 (hated the camera liked everything else), then Lumia 900 which was a very good step ahead. WP for me has enough apps and it not missing anything critical. All of the upgrades have made the experience better as time passes. I did have a 6 month interruption - I sold the Lumia 900 in favor of the 808 PureView so had my taste of Symbian Belle. I liked it better as a machine OS - and tolerated the UI. For that time, the camera made the other shortcomings worthwhile. However, next to mobile photography, I rely heavily on email and internet browsing - and elements of Symbian Belle were becoming unusable - what with Nokia pulling all development. When it got to the point of being very annoying and realizing I had a great weekend phone with kickass camera that I didn't really enjoy the rest of the working week, I picked up the Lumia 521 and carried the 808 for important trips. Going to WP8 with the 521 was really a breath of fresh air. I loved it. Now the Lumia 1020 has finally given me the best of all worlds - to the point where I have sold the 808 and am keeping the 521 as a backup/emergency phone.

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Well, last night I sold my Lumia 1020... I've never thought twice about leaving a phone but this one was tough. The camera is amazing and I am going to miss it. At least my wife has a 920 so I wont feel completely out. Actually, the first thing I ended up missing was the WPCentral app, but one app and a camera wasn't enough. As much as I'm paying for data, I feel a smartphone is suppose to make things a little easier.

I ended up buying the recently released LG G2. Not a bad transition...so far I've noticed that both have the tap twice to wake screen and the "kid's corner" .

Apps are the main reason for my switch. Now I have my starbucks app, my capital one app, Flixter (yes, wp8 has the app but lacked the most important part, access to watch my digital copies of movies I've bought on bluray), staples app (business account) has all the features that lack on the WP app. Anyway, that's the thing that bugs me more about the apps... when WP does get apps, they are limited.

Anyway, I am going to miss my photo hub in wp8. Love how I can access all my photos from camera and social networks, like facebook. Glad I have my Surface Pro for that.

I'm hoping to come back one day. The first thing I did was install all my Windows Phone apps on the G2, lol... Skydrive, Skype, Outlook.com, Lync 2013.

I hope Microsoft speeds up updates now that they own Nokia. I guess on the bright side I went Android instead of iPhone... that screen... jeez.. I don't see how people can see stuff with such a tiny screen.

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

So as my 64 GB Yellow Nokia Lumia 1020 arrived last Friday i am about to get it Ready Step by Step and the Switch Completly from my Lumia 920 to the 1020.

Reasons are Easy:

- I Personally Prefer Amoled > IPS Panels
- 64 GB (!!!)
- The Unbelievable 41 MPixel PureView Cam

920 will stay as a Device for Festivals and Concerts cause it can still Perform as Good (Or Better!) than some New Released other Smartphones.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Lumia 800 > 820 > HTC 8X > iPhone 4S > Lumia 920
Bought the 800 when WP8 was announced (yeah kinda dumb I know! -_-), bought the 820 on launch day, 8X looks attractive (still my favorite phone design so far), got bored of WP for a bit, then Amber with Pro Cam came, got the 920 ;)

Btw if you're wondering, it's illegal to sell locked phones here in my country, that's why I'm free to change whenever and whatever I want :)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

6 warranty repairs later... and I've changed my phone. I'm now getting a HTC One. Guess it's time to toddle on over to the AndroidCentral forums, or sell the One and get a 1020...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo