Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricky23

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Not goodbye, just "see You later".

I am in the same boat. Switched back to android. Everything is working fine. Yet I miss my 1020. What is it about windows phone that keeps pulling me back? It's like there is something missing. But I don't know what?

Sent from my LG-D800 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

Heh, thought he was talking about the Windows Phone shutdown message ("goodbye") and was suggesting a change to "See you later", just from looking at the thread title :p

Good luck with your Android phone; come visit us too sometimes! :)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Windows phone tugs at the heart of people. People can't just switch out to another platform, they have to say their goodbyes in almost a tearful fashion. (Not that the OP is crying). But I remember leaving android and my attitude was, "I'm out." I didn't write about it on Facebook and twitter. I didn't visit one of the 8 million stupid android forums and leave a trail of keenex on the floor. I just left for Windows Phone and never looked back. To the OP, good luck.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

It boggles my mind that still majority of games are missing.
And also lot of apps still only have clients but no official support.

Now , I am waiting for a ****** to arrive and say "Wait till next update" or "Wait till Next year" (which is the thing they have been saying since 2010)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Now , I am waiting for a ****** to arrive and say "Wait till next update" or "Wait till Next year" (which is the thing they have been saying since 2010)

You shouldn't wait. You should buy what fits you best. You don't owe anything to anyone, most of all no one here.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I am in the same boat. Switched back to android. Everything is working fine. Yet I miss my 1020. What is it about windows phone that keeps pulling me back? It's like there is something missing. But I don't know what?

Sent from my LG-D800 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

I'll try to explain it to you as best I can. See, Android is that hot red-head that you leave your family for just to have a good time. iOS is that gorgeous blonde that lulls you in with her fake smile until you realize she's just too high-maintenance. WP is that brunette with the hot bod and the crooked teeth that keeps the torch burning for you. She cooks, cleans, can carry an intelligent conversation and when you do come back, she'll give you the ride of your life as gratitude. Get it now?

BTW, forgive me Father Gates for I have sinned. I'm with a certain red-head right now who knows how to take notes with a stylus. I know it's just a fling but it feels good right now.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I'll try to explain it to you as best I can. See, Android is that hot red-head that you leave your family for just to have a good time. iOS is that gorgeous blonde that lulls you in with her fake smile until you realize she's just too high-maintenance. WP is that brunette with the hot bod and the crooked teeth that keeps the torch burning for you. She cooks, cleans, can carry an intelligent conversation and when you do come back, she'll give you the ride of your life as gratitude. Get it now?

I don't get it.

Is 98 your year of birth? Then I get it.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I don't get how that could be confusing.
Android and iOS both where the OS's that led the TS change. They have been there since the start gathering apps. Then combine that with both of those platforms being larger than WP today and many developers still targeting both of those platforms, or only one of them, but no other.

WP will need to grow bigger than iOS and evern after that it will be years before there's app parity on 3rd parties.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Well its not like that Windows Phone has beaten Android or IOS that suddenly developers will concentrate on development in WP. It's still in 3rd place, and still spreading its wings with Nokia Lumia devices . Only next year we will come to know whether all the popular games will have arrived in WP. (im not a ******, just stating facts, WP badly needs games).

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Well its not like that Windows Phone has beaten Android or IOS that suddenly developers will concentrate on development in WP. It's still in 3rd place, and still spreading its wings with Nokia Lumia devices . Only next year we will come to know whether all the popular games will have arrived in WP. (im not a ******, just stating facts, WP badly needs games).
This is quite true.
Saying "wait till next update" is useless...unless it introduces some new and improved method for development.

That said, Windows Phone is taking off, but I didn't expect the games to cone now ;)

I waited till 2013 to buy a WP, and 2014 to buy games.
I want to see if I'm right.

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site

Hey all... here's my story.
I've been a long time mobile phone fan, and being so I have purchased phones outright as I tend to change devices well before I would get to the end of a plan.
Through the many devices I've used I've used most of the OSs available, feature phone, WinMo, Symbian, Android, iOS, WinPhone. There were some in there I have no idea what OS it was, I knew I just needed to try it as I was looking to fill my requirements.

When I heard Microsoft was developing a totally new mobile OS I admit I kinda kringed, Then in time I saw the screenshots of this new OS and kringed yet again. And I remember reading many negative views but I do not use these viewpoints of others as the only thing to make up my mind. I will need to try this OS not just in a shop or for a few days, I need to make use of an OS for a good while to get proper feel for it. I must say I was hesitant to try it, but I wasn't happy with the Android device I was using at the time.

Enter the Samsung Focus. (I thought to get a similar brand name that I tended to like and rely on, Samsung). It didn't take long at all - The Windows Phone is nice, clean, minimal. It didn't have very good hardware specs, but that didn't seem to make any difference to the quality of transitions and OS use. Then came the Nokia products, and I got a little excited about the potential. Enter the Lumia 900, then the 920 when they became available, which I was very satisfied with. Then news of the 1020 became avail.

So now I have the 1020. The OS is maturing quite well, considering all the mega changes to the backend and frontend integration, the shift in development to build an ecosystem that incorporates a 'build one for all' strategy, the huge GUI shift that has a sense of life and begs for interaction by the operator. All this takes time and I've viewed WP7/8 more-or-less as beta builds to the end result of which is still to come. Yep, there are times I get impatient with the development cycle of WP and at other times I feel that it is time to try another OS again. But, it ends there.

Looking at all the small shortcomings of WP and then looking at the other OSs I've experienced with their shortcomings and their own quirks, I find putting aside Windows Phone is not an option for me. I get frustrated (as others probably do), when Windows Phone gets bypassed by developers or WP doesn't get the respect it really deserves. I wouldn't say I'm a ****** of Windows Phone but I'm a fan of quality performance and experience. Windows Phone is a very underrated system only because it gets a bad wrap. It would help see developers get onboard and see people take it serious - - sometimes it is evident that if it didn't have the 'Microsoft' branding Windows Phone would rocket up the popularity scale. It is only because of historic propaganda and people still associating Microsoft as the 'blue screen' king or the 'monopolistic company' (both of which are so untrue for the last several years).

I'm excited for the potential of Windows Phone. There are so many areas that this whole ecosystem can grow. Now with the hardware side coming into the mix I'm seeing the potential for more rapid development processes happening.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Honestly , How many of you like those animations on iOS 7 and WP8 ?

I hope MS/Apple/Google enables users to turn them off directly in settings.
(On Android , its quite hidden under developer options)

Sometimes I feel frustrated seeing those slow animations eating off time.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

I don't get how that could be confusing.
Android and iOS both where the OS's that led the TS change. They have been there since the start gathering apps. Then combine that with both of those platforms being larger than WP today and many developers still targeting both of those platforms, or only one of them, but no other.

WP will need to grow bigger than iOS and evern after that it will be years before there's app parity on 3rd parties.

OS X is doing pretty well with such a small userbase and getting all latest updates and suites from majority of companies (leaving games).

Why can't WP ? (atleast for apps part leaving out games)

See this for example :
http://www.neowin.net/news/retina-mac-apps-begin-appearing-ahead-of-wwdc

Developers are not at all enthusiastic when it comes to WP , idk why.
(except that guy who made wikipedia)

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Guys i have used most all os...nokia frm day one..then got iphone wen it was just launched...dint like it much coz lot of basic functions missing tat time...ussed it fr 6 months since then always had a nokia I mean the best OS symbian...then I got note 1 wen launches as a 2nd fone...and then bb 9900 as 3rd fone.... Now using nokia 808 as main fone note 2 and bb 9900...now nokia lumia 1020 will replace my 808..thou will keep 808 forever as it is a true collectors item...now I will be using windows fr the 1st time...can u guys help how to adjust frm symbian to windows ?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

BTW, forgive me Father Gates for I have sinned. I'm with a certain red-head right now who knows how to take notes with a stylus. I know it's just a fling but it feels good right now.

**Update**

The red-head mistress has been kicked to the curb, came to my senses and asked my L620 for forgiveness. She'll get over it.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

**Update**

The red-head mistress has been kicked to the curb, came to my senses and asked my L620 for forgiveness. She'll get over it.

Ugh, we're such a weird group of people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss