Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Well, I put my 920 on Craigslist. I owned a Focus on day 1, missed it and got the 920, so I'll be back. It's just time to part with this device. I plan to get the new Nexus. Maybe my next phone after that will be a dual-boot HTC. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Ovidio Zagrean

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

always e been a Nokia fan, until one day gave me an Iphone 2, I liked. then you buy the Nokia N8, I fell in love with the (12mpx.. towards some amazing photos). It sold and bought me an Iphone 4 very good phone but very simple, not you can customize anything (if don't do you the jalibrack) saving trying to buy me the 920, I saw rumors about my current mobile Lumia 925, give the iph4 / my cousin and bought me Nokia Lumia 925... I recognize that I was afraid that I liked not WP8 but from the first second I fall, fast, very stable, fun, etc. never buy me a mobile that not is NOKIA and that have WP. Sorry for my English :D

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys, so I last posted about two months ago after I left my 928 for a Galaxy S4. I now have an LG G2 which is a much better phone and probably the best Android phone currently available.

Anyhow, I need to update some of my statements. I said that I would possibly be back to WP8 soon, but sadly, I won't be. I've been having an awesome experience with Android and it just does everything that I need it to, and then some. I haven't seen much progress on the WP8 front, and if I'm being realistic, there won't be enough progress for me to switch anytime soon.

I know that nobody probably cares, but just wanted to post an update. I will be with Android for the foreseeable future.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys, so I last posted about two months ago after I left my 928 for a Galaxy S4. I now have an LG G2 which is a much better phone and probably the best Android phone currently available.

Anyhow, I need to update some of my statements. I said that I would possibly be back to WP8 soon, but sadly, I won't be. I've been having an awesome experience with Android and it just does everything that I need it to, and then some. I haven't seen much progress on the WP8 front, and if I'm being realistic, there won't be enough progress for me to switch anytime soon.

I know that nobody probably cares, but just wanted to post an update. I will be with Android for the foreseeable future.

As long as you care, that's really all that matters. After all, this thread is for the sole purpose of knowing who's leaving WP and why.

NOT!!

We just want to know who the traitors are and have fun bashing them. Suckers!! :winktongue:

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

Well, it's been a fun three years but I am moving on from Windows Phone until it matures and does what I need my smartphone to do. I'm not a hater and/or ****** of any particular operating system, but don't really care for Android. I've picked up an iPhone 5C for $45 with free downloads for iMovie, iPhoto, Numbers, Pages and Keynote.

The biggest reason for my move is the app situation that just seems to steadily NOT improve significantly on Windows Phone. Having stuck with WP from an HTC Surround WP7 through my beautiful red Lumia 920, there is still an incredibly huge disparity between the available apps.

Live Tiles was a big draw for me and are supposed to replace a unified notification center. Unfortunately, the tiles update every hour or so at best or in the case of most 3rd party apps, not at all. I still keep my Lumia charged and play on it, and was dismayed this morning that my Amazing Weather app says it's 10/10 @ 10:41PM and my Super Calendar app shows Friday Oct 11, 1013. Other tiles I have pinned such as Facebook and Voxxer have a little number in a circle in the top right corner of the tile. What kind of "live update" is that? Isn't that what we criticize iOS and Android about? Hell, my iPhone running iOS7 has a clock and calendar icon that keeps real time & date. You can even watch the second hand move and keep time. With the seeming inability for my Lumia to perform updates on my "live" tiles, it makes the glaring lack of a unified notification center even more painful. Especially if you miss a non-pinned app buzzing a tone on WP8.

As far as the camera goes, daytime shots are pretty even between the two, though as I expected-the Lumia 920 takes much better low-light shots sans flash. With flash on, there isn't a huge difference. On the other hand, I have to hand it to Apple with the panorama shooting. It works flawlessly and cranks out great panoramas with a simple-to-use interface whereas the Lumia almost always causes ghosts, artifacts and blurring.

As far as user interface goes, I think it's trendy now to bash the grid of icons interface that iOS and Android use. I personally have no issues with it. I prefer pages of icons that I can arrange as I see fit to a 10-mile long alphabetical list on WP8. I've always wanted Microsoft to add a folder option to group similar apps but they refuse to do it aside from the "Games" folder. Why can't I create a "system tools" or "photography" folder to group my programs? iOS allows this which I find very handy. I also like the ability to customize my backgrounds on iOS. For those that say you can't even see the background images well through the icons, you can arrange them as you like and can leave blank spots or even leave the first page blank except the bottom row as one of my friends is fond of.

Microsoft insists that the signal and battery meters disappear from the screen, but the capacitive buttons never dim or shut off. This makes no sense to me. I also find the random battery drains, even in airplane mode with all apps closed and no background tasks enabled infuriating. When I go into work, I turn airplane mode on. When I come out eight hours later, I may have 95% of my battery remaining or 20%. Why?

As for what I miss from my everyday iPhone use, I miss the larger, more sensitive screen. I miss the dedicated search button and I miss the wireless charging. Though in more recent phones like the Lumia 925 and 1020, the wireless charging is not built-in and requires a special shell. To me this is @$$-backwards since it is one of Lumia 920's strongest selling points.

So, that's my story. Please don't flame as it's pointless. I look forward to this OS (hopefully) maturing and filling my needs.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Nothing to flame, we each have our reasons. Good luck.

Jonathan Piferrer

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Goodbye Nokia / Lumia / Wp going to Iphone again

Well... this few months i was happy with my Nokia Lumia 620/720/920, i loved it, until today...

- i decided give a try again to ios, and later come back to Nokia the day when 1020 or 1520 be available in my country (argentina in one year aprox)

I sold 920 today, and when i made a "restore phone", I'M STUCK ON SPINNING GEARS SINCE YESTERDAY, TRIED ALL BUTTON PRESSING TIPS, GOOGLED WPCENTRAL ETC ETC..

Coud it be possible than in my LAST Windows Phone approach, this could happen to me? So sad, i don't know what to do, i must deliver to buyer the phone today, but THE SPINNING GEARS KEEP ROLLING... :grincry:

ricbon

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Goodbye Nokia / Lumia / Wp going to Iphone again

FIrst of all you cant give a paying customer the phone in that condition, second i know there is a thread here how to fix it. Third good luck with the iphone I too was switching between the iphone5 and the lumia 920 but due to the fact i hate the screen size of the iphone and how the wifi had issues I am selling my iphone 5.

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

Well... this few months i was happy with my Nokia Lumia 620/720/920, i loved it, until today...

- i decided give a try again to ios, and later come back to Nokia the day when 1020 or 1520 be available in my country (argentina in one year aprox)

I sold 920 today, and when i made a "restore phone", I'M STUCK ON SPINNING GEARS SINCE YESTERDAY, TRIED ALL BUTTON PRESSING TIPS, GOOGLED WPCENTRAL ETC ETC..

Coud it be possible than in my LAST Windows Phone approach, this could happen to me? So sad, i don't know what to do, i must deliver to buyer the phone today, but THE SPINNING GEARS KEEP ROLLING... :grincry:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ng-gears-cogs-bug-nokia-lumia-users-only.html

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

As frustrating at the spinning gear lock up is... This is hilarious. I hope you get it fixed soon.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Lol, I tried to reset my 920, and it got stuck on the spinning gears when I had some interested Craigslist buyers lined up. I ended having to flash the firmware. Total BS that this should occur from a simple reset attempt. This left me pretty pissed off about the platform.

And to those calling "traitor" to others. LOL, really? It's a damn phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Traitors don't pay the bills but they sure are funny as hell.

Sent from my DROIDX using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Notorious MIKE

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Anyone recently switched from 7.8 to 8? Been using a Lumia 710 for the past year and a half, awaiting the arrival of a new 1020. Just wondering if anyone who has recently upgraded has some WP8 only apps to recommend.

Darth litku

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

Im loving my windows phone 8 experience... I already been to ios and android... I have my 720 as my phone and everything that i need is here. Whenever i buy something i always think of the features of that phone/gadget will suit my needs. I dont want to pay more for the features and specs that i wont use. :D

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

Lol, I tried to reset my 920, and it got stuck on the spinning gears when I had some interested Craigslist buyers lined up. I ended having to flash the firmware. Total BS that this should occur from a simple reset attempt. This left me pretty pissed off about the platform.

And to those calling "traitor" to others. LOL, really? It's a damn phone.

Lol...how ironic. I put my Lumia 920 up for sale on eBay last night. Today I went into the settings and chose to reset the phone. Spinning gears for two + hours...finally had to download the Nokia Retailer program, download the 1.2 gig firmware and flash it. Got it all working thankfully and it's now boxed up for shipping to it's new owner.

This kinda describes my whole experience with Windows Phone 8. From the moment I got my first Lumia 920, it kept dropping signal and 99% of the time, the signal was on the Edge network. After a day, I took it back and AT&T couldn't fix it. They exchanged it. New one worked better, but kept trying to default to plain-Jane 3G when the faux 4G HSPA+ is more common. Did the ##8292 or whatever workaround to force the phone to run the 4G. The update was released and I happily updated my phone. Guess what? It disabled the ability to get into this test mode and locked my phone to HSPA+ even when I went into an LTE coverage area.

This among other issues describes my whole Windows Phone 8 experience. A headache. Constantly wondering if my phone would brick after an update. Constantly checking SpeedTest to see if the phone was running well. It's more like having a test kit than a dependable piece of hardware. Not to mention how my live tiles refused to update, no matter what I tried.

I have an iPhone 5C now. When there is an update, it just downloads and installs. I can even use the phone until the actual update is flashed. I never have to worry about my signal. In fact, areas where I had 3 bars at best on the Lumia, I have full coverage on the iPhone. This isn't a comparison between the two on their merits and drawbacks, but with the iPhone I know it's just. GOING. TO. WORK.

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site

I love reading your stories...😊😊

Two thumbs up! 👍👍

qsr786

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site

For me Nowadays it looks like Microsoft has no Love for Windows Phone, look what is coming in 2014? VPN Support Wuhooo! (ironic off).

I mean the UI and everything could be so much better its not only about apps, its about the user experience. Yes I know WP Ui is very fluid and fast, but there is no colour no love man, i?ve been waiting and waiting for Microsoft to do sthing and what did they do? Another row for 5 inch devices and higher haha, thats why Microsoft doesnt get love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos