Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

It's the same with ios, no customisability. But now, ios7 has brought a fresh coat of paint, looks odd but yet colourful from the boring interface. But this is not what iPhone sells for, it's the simplicity and the sheer amount of apps that are available on the platform. If there are more number of apps, and better bug fixes and more software/os features from Microsoft, 2014 will be a bright year for windows phone. Waiting eagerly for wp8.1

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

It's the same with ios, no customisability. But now, ios7 has brought a fresh coat of paint, looks odd but yet colourful from the boring interface. But this is not what iPhone sells for, it's the simplicity and the sheer amount of apps that are available on the platform. If there are more number of apps, and better bug fixes and more software/os features from Microsoft, 2014 will be a bright year for windows phone. Waiting eagerly for wp8.1

I have to disagree about some things here.

WP is way easier to use than iOS.

"Sheer amount of apps" is actually contradictory to your statement.If there are so many "options" , it will be confusing to the user (This is Apple fan's logic yesterday when I said that iOS has very bad sharing capabilities and he says that many studies show that too many choices will hinder the productivity/decision making which leaves unhappy experience).

Yes , that was stupid thing to say indeed.

Back to the point ,

Yes , WP need bug fixes and more features.Some official apps too.

Jonathan Piferrer

May 29, 2013
Visit site

Finally, THE BUYER DIDN'T APPEAR, until now, IT HASN'T BEEN SOLD.... IS VERY HARD TO SELL WINDOWS PHONE DEVICES....!!!

The phone finally worked, thanks for the advices... but nobody wants to buy it!!!! :cry:

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

I won't be be buying another Windows Phone. Not worth the risk. There is no Nokia Care in my country and my current 720 had two faults in 6 weeks. My S3 over a period of one year has had no problems whatsoever. I don't need to worry about my phone rebooting/crashing or being unable to hear who I'm talking to on the phone. If these faults appear then the OS is dead to me. A phone is for making and receiving calls. What's the point of WP if I'll be tinkering as much as with an Android?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I won't be be buying another Windows Phone. Not worth the risk. There is no Nokia Care in my country and my current 720 had two faults in 6 weeks. My S3 over a period of one year has had no problems whatsoever. I don't need to worry about my phone rebooting/crashing or being unable to hear who I'm talking to on the phone. If these faults appear then the OS is dead to me. A phone is for making and receiving calls. What's the point of WP if I'll be tinkering as much as with an Android?

What's the point of having a smartphone if making and receiving calls is all you apparently need? A 10 year-old Nokia flip-phone would be more reliable and cost less.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

What's the point of having a smartphone if making and receiving calls is all you apparently need? A 10 year-old Nokia flip-phone would be more reliable and cost less.

My thoughts exactly. No phone makes and receives calls better than a Nokia 3310...

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Got a hardware upgrade coming up in 2 months and on the fence between staying with WP or moving back to iPhone, I've been 'away' since my iPhone 3G although i play around with my wifes iPhone 5. If i do go with iPhone its definitely the 5S model. I currently have a Lumia 920 and while its great for a lot of things, there are some things i personally find iPhone does better. From reading the responses above, i see a lot of flaming towards non-windows so i expect to get nailed....but whatever. I am not a ****** of any specific manufacturer...i have a Surface Pro 2, Nexus 7, iPod Nano Gen5 and Lumia 920.

My personal Pros and Cons list (note, my personal opinions and not stating as facts).

WP8
PROs
  • Unique/Individual Start Menu
  • Social Network Integration (although im not a big social network person)
  • Colorful
  • Camera is incredible most of the time...(will not Con below)
  • No lag
  • Love the stock keyboard
  • Office Free
  • Nokia Apps, Drive+ amazing since uses no GPS Data
  • Physical design build, excellent

CONs
  • Camera can be inconsistent. When it works like it should its incredible, however a lot of the time the pictures do come out blurry, not what i expect. I would say 60-70% of the time i get whats expected on the screen from the actual picture itself
  • IE while good lacks essential forward/back dedicated buttons...very frusterating when browsing and hitting the wrong button.
  • Screen/Phone too big for me, i prefer a smaller size (4" perfect size for me, 920 is just massive)
  • battery drain is annoying, happens daily
  • Lack of certain apps that do not have optional webbased workaround (some personal choices)
  • Live tiles arent updated properly by majority of my apps

In a lot of cases iPhone performs the same as WP in my opinion, so switching wouldn't make much sense. A big driver to give iPhone a shot is iOS7 which i personally think is great, while it does have some quirks that need to be kinked out...if iPhone still looked like iOS6 i wouldnt be so drawn to it. The major or key reasons to consider switching is the phone and screen size (yes, i want a 4" high end phone), the consistently very good pictures (too inconsistent with my experience on 920), list of apps that wont come to WP and theres no webpage workaround and superb audio/music player.

No im not going on saying WP8 is bad and i may not jump ship, really comes down to WP8.1 and Nokia's upcoming phones. I think it will always come down to personal preference, whether you want to express individuality or have a device that meets your needs is whats most important. I believe the needs of people change over time and thats why this generation, with all the opitons we have, constantly change between OS's since maybe at certain times it makes more sense to use one more than the other.

UPDATE: I did the switch, picked up an iPhone 5s and today im selling my Lumia 920. I will be eagerly standing on the sidelines watching WP unfold over the next 2 years for when my contract renewal is up. Looks like i will be battling inner demons for my love for both OS's, Android will never capture my appreciation for WP and iOS. WP8 was a fun ride, excited to see what WP9 brings.

Last edited:

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

As much as I like iOS and iPhone , I simply don't like small screen.I have big hands and also screen is little bit bad compared to competition with 400+ ppi and difference is visible if you use a 1080p screen and go back to iPhone or 720 screen.

But is it going to stop me from liking it ? I think its a trade-off but worth because Apple eco system is very nice.

Then again , I have iPad with me , So why not get an Android device and try it ? I did it and I like it as much as iOS.Yes , overall OS is lagging compared to both WP and iOS but it gives lot of customizing what WP/iOS doesn't give.Lags here and there are therefore not bothering anymore.

Smoothest OS is WP for sure , it never drops a single frame but trade offs in my experience are a lot than Android or iOS.

I think choice of OS comes with certain trade offs but at the end of day , If you are happy with what OS you use , that's what matters.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

As much as I like iOS and iPhone , I simply don't like small screen.I have big hands

Thats a very good point, if the user doesn't like the smaller screen than iPhone is definitely not the appropriate device. I also have big hands but find using the iPhone 5 screen to be great, surprisingly. Even with big hands i find using my L920 or my previous S3 to be cumbersome and impossible with single hand use, i consider this to be a big deal for me. I have used a 520 and it was a great size, but the lack of flash and 512GB ram wasn't sufficient for me personally. I find the perfect size phones ive tested recently to be a 520, S4 Mini or iPhone 5.

Thankfully consumers have many devices to choose from and pick which suits their needs best,

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Thats a very good point, if the user doesn't like the smaller screen than iPhone is definitely not the appropriate device. I also have big hands but find using the iPhone 5 screen to be great, surprisingly. Even with big hands i find using my L920 or my previous S3 to be cumbersome and impossible with single hand use, i consider this to be a big deal for me. I have used a 520 and it was a great size, but the lack of flash and 512GB ram wasn't sufficient for me personally. I find the perfect size phones ive tested recently to be a 520, S4 Mini or iPhone 5.

Thankfully consumers have many devices to choose from and pick which suits their needs best,

To just give you a glimpse , I link a video of MKBHD , my hands are roughly same size as his hands :

Scroll to 1:50 (and pause at 1:53) You see that ? he tilts the angle little bit to actually press home button (using bottom buttons also little difficult like safari navigation)

Pressing home button with thumb takes some effort :) sometimes I tilt my itouch to comfortably use the button.I tried to use my iTouch several times with one hand but after like 3-5 min. , my thumb gets stressed out

If iPhone is little wider , it will be very good for holding with one hand but again difficult to use it with one hand.That's the irony.......

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Fair enough...i dont have long fingers but i do have big hands, and probably considered stubby fingers LOL. iPhone is the perfect size for me.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

As much as I like iOS and iPhone , I simply don't like small screen.I have big hands and also screen is little bit bad compared to competition with 400+ ppi and difference is visible if you use a 1080p screen and go back to iPhone or 720 screen.

Funny you should mention that. I have a 1080p HTC One but my WVGA HTC Titan (480x800 resolution, 4.7 inch screen) still seems clear enough to me. I can't seem to tell the difference in terms of resolution. So I would be happy with any one. Though that said I don't know what the One's PPI count is.

Sent from my HTC One using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

After rocking the HTC Trophy since launch day on Verizon (about 2 years and 7 months ago), I made the switch to my first WP8 last week. I bought a refurbished black Nokia Lumia 822 on Ebay. Thank you, Topher the Trophy, for your diligent service and companionship.

I love this operating system, and I even really like this hardware, even though it is pretty old. It'll tide me over just fine until the Nokia Lumia 929 comes out.

greyowl99

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Hi

I switched from Android to Win8 about 6 months ago. I only use budget handsets so i had a galaxy ace2 and huawei g300. I ( and my wife ) switched to Huawei w1. we have cheap UK unlimited data 3G contracts which works out cheaper than getting a handset + contract for me.

My wife had probs syncing with outlook ( not exchange ) and we ended up using akuro which works fine for her. I synced using the hotmail connector without probs. I expect sync problems - had them on psion / palm / nokia and win 6.1 so no big deal provided there's a workaround

We both need basic phone functions to work well and mail/sms/internet. I find win 8 far better and more integrated than android. Much easier to do stuff and the combination of outlook sync and skydrive makes this a good business tool for me. Only downside I notice is lack of ability to record calls - which i always did with the android set ( and this is legal in the UK provided that you don't disclose to third parties except by direction of a court ).

MS have got a very smooth interface which feels fairly jump free even on a dual core - they have smoothed out transitions so that the slowness of the GPU is successfully masked ( I have a quad core android A9 tab which still seems jerky by comparison ).

For the particular handset, the good thing is that it will run 2/3 days with my typical usage without recharging - i had to recharge g300 every evening which was a pain because i regularly forgot to do so.

Glad I switched - provided OS remains supported I see no reason to return to android or ios.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
bye bye WP...at least for now!

edit: thx moderation for moving my post the right place!

just here to say my goodbye to WP...at least for the next year as i'm going back to Android!
i've purchased a Moto G (which is arriving today) and will give Android another shot! my 1st experience was bad because i had a crappy droid BUT lets see how the Moto G will impress me...at least all the reviews and videos i've seen do far didn't fail!

yet it doesen't mean i'll forget WP or will stop liking it...i still rly like the OS and i'm rly looking forward for its development next year!
and i'll keep defending it from all those who talks nonsense XD

this year i spent with WP was really good and it really open my mind to new and diferent stuff! and i rly loved watching the forums and being a part of WP8 first year! even tho i'm going back to Android, i'll keep my eye on WP news and development!

but i couldn't resist the Moto G >< sorry guys ><
so it's goodbye for now...but we never know about the future, maybe i'll be back next time i get a new phone!
WP will always hold a dear place in my heart...for it gave me an amazing experience the time i had it...but we have to move on at some point!

p.s: in case you guys wonder, i live in Brazil! here, the Moto G is the best smartphone available at a cheap price and has the best cost x benefice!

Last edited:

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Congratulations! Its a great phone at it'd price point I guess its priced like at lumia 620 in Brazil right? You don't get 720p display phone from a company like Motorola this cheap. Am also looking forward to its launch here in India. Only gripe is its camera is pretty bad and no external storage

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Congratulations! Its a great phone at it'd price point I guess its priced like at lumia 620 in Brazil right? You don't get 720p display phone from a company like Motorola this cheap. Am also looking forward to its launch here in India. Only gripe is its camera is pretty bad and no external storage

I wonder how the after-sales support will be for Motorola phones

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site

If WP8.1 doesn't surprise me I'll be going to Android, I'm afraid.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Time to test uncharted waters again. Getting a GSM BlackBerry Z10 just for s**ts and giggles. Not counting new systems like Sailfish or Firefox, this is the only OS I have yet to own. My biggest fear is losing that wonderful screen on my Titan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss