Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dastardly donut

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Switching after 4yrs to Apple due to lack of music (guitar/bass/live/recording) support. I held out until now hoping 3rd parties would jump on board and help really push this to the front of the line. I will be prepared and still looking to come back because I love the OS just wish they would really grab hold of the art/music community beyond techno, house, dubstep

PlainN SimpleMan

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone? I might be switching to Android or iOS

I have had a windows phone for over a year and it is a very nice looking phone as far as the user interface goes. I like how I can change the appearance and rearrange the tiles to suit my needs. I still think however I am going to switch to an IOS or Android when my contract runs out.

The reasons for the change of heart isn?t to bash my windows phone but rather celebrate the features the other 2 phones can give me that windows phones cannot. In my case, I have 4 windows phones in my contract and 2 of them my boys have. Because my boys go to different schools due to their age, I want to keep track of their whereabouts to and from school. There is not 1 single app offered by windows phones that I have used to track my kids that updates location less than 30 minutes. From what I understand windows phones do not allow that.

Here is a quote from the followmee app troubleshooting forum when asked about the limitations on windows phone 30 minute interval "All editions of the GPS tracker app for Windows Phone 8, including the paid edition, cannot set the track interval less than 30 minutes. This is limited by the Windows Phone 8 platform. The platform api does not allow the app to wake up in less than 30 minute interval.?

That reason along with the fact that every time I see a commercial on tv and I say to myself, ?Let me download that app? it says sorry this app is for IOS and Android only. Oh well, windows is a great phone if you want a good looking UI and something to talk to people with or for social apps but, if you want to use your device as a tool, think again.

Teague Kelley

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Funny you should mention that. I have a 1080p HTC One but my WVGA HTC Titan (480x800 resolution, 4.7 inch screen) still seems clear enough to me. I can't seem to tell the difference in terms of resolution. So I would be happy with any one. Though that said I don't know what the One's PPI count is.

Sent from my HTC One using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Trade me ;)

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Am going to leave Windows phone sometimes later this year.I am moving to android with galaxy grand 2 I love the huge screen nd love the features Samsung offer.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

Well will move to Android using a Z2, but loved WP while it lasted. I liked WP due to its simplicity and quality by Nokia, but sometimes it's too simple. The thing that irks me is we can't use wallpapers, as wallpapers have a calming effect on me. Also there's no Candy Crush and no integration with a lot of other things, such as smart watches, or company apps. Especially with the 8.1 update, I am not willing to venture further into WP or invest in Microsoft yet, until of course their OS matures. I want to see where Microsoft is going now, and will come back as soon as WP is already mature. So right now jumping ship to Android for a while, just to wait until Microsoft grows with WP.

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately my next phone won't be a WP, it'll be a Moto, a nexus or an LG, WP feels boring sometimes with those black and white apps, it's way too simple and I don't think I like that. Plus, 8.1 got rid of hubs, social media integration, and an almost perfect music experience, WP was unique with hubs, it was one of the main reasons I switched to WP. Now I don't feel that it's unique anymore :(
So I guess the 720 is my first and last WP. I'm not buying another phone until 2015 though...

diktea

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Been using L620 from the start.. but random hang ups, random start shutdowns and hell so many times i could not even receive phone calls coz the screen will stop responding... and apps load so slow... I didn't realize this till a friend gave me Galaxy Grand 2... the experience is far smoother and no hang ups at all, fast and stable apps...

I still hang on with the wp a bit but slowly the android experience is making itself my daily driver now...
I was hoping i could replace my L620 with its successor with better specs or at least L720 successor but the only thing coming out is crappy L630... SAD really sad....

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm switching this week. My Xperia Z1 should be arriving tomorrrow.

I loved Windows Phone 7.5 Mango so much that I switched to a L820 immediately. I even started a new contract with AT&T before my shared plan on Verizon officially ended so I could get my hands on this little sucker.

But after a year of fighting with it, I'm giving up. I truly cannot place where Microsoft's direction is. They seem to focusing solely on Cortana, a feature I find utterly useless for my day to day needs. It's just a Siri knock-off, even if it may end up being more robust in the end. It's just a battery hog as it requires your Location on 24/7. Unfortunately for Microsoft, focusing entirely on one aspect of the OS has led to numerous complaints-- other facets of the OS are being entirely neglected. Not even the most hardcore of Microsoft fan boys have been able to give me a valid excuse as to why the Xbox Music app is so abysmal.

And I never thought I would see the day when I would be pining after the Xbox Music + Video Hub. Yuck.

I will miss Windows Phone's Metro design language and super snappy functionality. This thing never lags. I'll also miss the durability of Nokia. I will be keeping my replacement 520 device so I can track Microsoft's progress, but there are just so many things wrong with the OS right now. I can deal with the lack of officially supported apps. But I cannot forgive Microsoft for continually breaking the bones of the OS so it can add new features that nobody really asked for. This doesn't make much sense to me.

Xrzysiek

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

I think the same :) My first and probably last WP Phone Lumia 720 :)

dpauze

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone (Nice LOOKING Disapointing otherwise)

No good apps are on this phone and I have had it for over a year. It seems every commercial, every company gives the same old pitch ?Now available on Android and iPhone? but never mentions Windows.

The one app, the one feature I want most, Windows can never deliver and it is because Windows phones are programmed a certain way. All I want is an app that I can track my children when they go to school IN REAL TIME and Windows phones no matter what app you use will not allow updating in less than 30 minute intervals. What good is tracking my kids every 30 minutes? Windows phones are really nothing more than nice looking phones that can?t do anything. I will switch to Android or iPhone in 8 months. Can?t wait

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Hmm I trusted my kid and knew where they was all the time. And they didn't get cell phones till they was 18. Of course cell phones was rare back then, but you could get a bag phone for the family limo. LOL

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520, w/AT&T using Tapatalk

majdi suliman

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I am sick of this.

this phone in the last 2 months, did nothing but disappoint me.
having to wait months after an app goes up to other platforms..
or how a simple bug for an application takes weeks, and sometimes never actually get fixed...........

i am switching to android, i am sure i will get more from a galaxy s5.
you might think i am a *****, but you all Should stop lying to your self, and think of another phone you could have bought for less than the price u paid for your the windows phone.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: I am sick of this.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out :)
Good luck with android. I was an android power user for 2 years and I will never go back to that platform. Apps does get often updates yes, but it is not worth it.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk for wp

diktea

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Sadly, My Lumia 620 screen broke and so i went to Nokia Care, but the Digitizer alone was 4500 INR. So i am withholding back for time being repairing as it puts a huge dent in my pocket.
I had to use Android for a while. Hope to be back soon.... :(

winou1

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I think i have to leave Windows Phone

It's a sad day for me really. But I think I have no choice. I've been a Win Phone user since the 900 was released, and i've invested in a 920 and a 1020 and patiently waited for the ecosystem to grow.. I've come to the realization that the platform is stuck and I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. The balance of my household uses iPhones and every time I pick my wife's phone up and try an app, I'm blown away with how much better it is. It's like driving a ferrari vs. a hyundai. It's not even close. Now I also tried the GS5 this weekend and was nothing but impressed. The sad thing, its not the OS itself that is driving me away, its simply the lack of quality apps. From Uber to American Express, the experience is weak on WP8.1 and I'm no longer confident that it will catch up. It is what it is as they say, but I think its time to make the switch back to an ecosystem that is fully-baked. Am I missing the light here? Would others agree that WP8.1 is - literally - years away from getting the apps needed to being a serious contender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077