Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: I think i have to leave Windows Phone

It's a sad day for me really. But I think I have no choice. I've been a Win Phone user since the 900 was released, and i've invested in a 920 and a 1020 and patiently waited for the ecosystem to grow.. I've come to the realization that the platform is stuck and I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. The balance of my household uses iPhones and every time I pick my wife's phone up and try an app, I'm blown away with how much better it is. It's like driving a ferrari vs. a hyundai. It's not even close. Now I also tried the GS5 this weekend and was nothing but impressed. The sad thing, its not the OS itself that is driving me away, its simply the lack of quality apps. From Uber to American Express, the experience is weak on WP8.1 and I'm no longer confident that it will catch up. It is what it is as they say, but I think its time to make the switch back to an ecosystem that is fully-baked. Am I missing the light here? Would others agree that WP8.1 is - literally - years away from getting the apps needed to being a serious contender?
As much as I love windows phone 8.1, I agree that we are years, at best, from getting the same or similar app experience as iOS or Android. Which is sad, I love the look of this OS. Sure it lags a lil more than an iPhone, but a lot less than an android. But it still is so unique. Just wish we could get the same level of app support so we could fully enjoy this beautiful looking OS.

Gustavo Pereira

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Was considering switching to LG L70, but I see that the new Motorolas are much better. I just need time to decide between the G and X. G is a lower investment for a great device, but the Moto X calls my attention with the excellent camera and high resolution. I'll stick with my 520 for another 2, maybe 3 months while I make my decision. Also waiting for some crazy sale, so I cant get it for a nice price.

ErR0rPr0n3

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone? I might be switching to Android or iOS

"All editions of the GPS tracker app for Windows Phone 8, including the paid edition, cannot set the track interval less than 30 minutes. This is limited by the Windows Phone 8 platform. The platform api does not allow the app to wake up in less than 30 minute interval.?

That was an OS limitation (to conserve battery life I believe) In 8.1 I believe the rate that background apps can run code is down to once per minute.

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

i hope MS read this thread. i'm a happy man using WP. had a 610, 520, 720, 920 and now got the 925. i hope they improve WP platform not only with transparent tiles and cortana... they have to do something about apps and stores too. you don't see many WP at the stores if any in many stores. don?t see no advertisements on the streets or magazines or newspapers or even on internet... don't see no new phones apart the 630 and 930 anounced months ago and still to come out... what the f****k are they doing???? what are they waiting for??? I'M waiting till the end of the year to see if something changes,if not i'm also moving dispite i like WP A LOT. GET SOME MORE PHONES OUT, ADVERTISE, OPEN OR USE THE NOKIA STORES TO SELL YOUR DEVICES AND OTHERS WITH WP!!!! WHAT DO YOU WANT THE MONEY FOR MS??? CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS!!! ANYWAY I LOVE WP A LOT HOPE THEY READ THIS...

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
got sick of windows phone

i got tired of wp8.1 lag and battery drain,if not get fixed after official update,im thinking getting back to android with nokia x or xl

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: got sick of windows phone

i got tired of wp8.1 lag and battery drain,if not get fixed after official update,im thinking getting back to android with nokia x or xl

Yeah, the lag and animation stuttering are annoying. Hopefully they remedy that with the official release. It was bad on my 920, worse on my 1520, but not as bad on my gf's 1020.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I am switching from Windows Phone to an iPhone 5s (need help)

I am switching from Windows Phone to an iPhone 5s.

I have the both device with me now but I want to make a proper transition.
Guys I need your help,

I want my transition to be smooth and hazel free. Hence, I will only put my sim into iPhone after I get help from you guys

Features/Apps I used most,

Windows mail-Similar experience in iPhone?
OneNote-How is OneNote on iPhone?
Pocket recorder-I need a recorder daily.
Office-Office editors excel words pdf
OneDrive-I have all data on OneDrive, it doesn't matter if I move to Dropbox or iCloud.
WhatsApp-Heavy usage but planning to get bbm too on iPhone.
MyTube/YouTube-Daily usage.

Guys, suggest me for the above and other important info on switching over.

Other relevant information ,
I have to move as my office teammates demanded, we get iPhone from our company. I wasn't moving to iPhone as I love windows phone but due to some reason I lagged in certain areas, I prefer not to make flames here so just need assistance.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: I am switching from Windows Phone to an iPhone 5s (need help)

I am switching from Windows Phone to an iPhone 5s.

I have - and use - both a Lumia 820 and an iPhone 5S.

Windows mail-Similar experience in iPhone?

Yes, basically.

OneNote-How is OneNote on iPhone?

It's better on iPhone. They recently released an update which makes OneNote way awesome on the iPhone, and it has not been released to Windows Phone yet.

Pocket recorder-I need a recorder daily.

There is a built-in recorder, I think, but I've never used it. Can't help you there, although I'm sure you'll be able to find a workable app.

Office-Office editors excel words pdf
OneDrive-I have all data on OneDrive, it doesn't matter if I move to Dropbox or iCloud.

Office Mobile on iPhone is better than on Windows Phone, again thanks to a recent update. It's free on iPhone and allows for full editing and OneNote integration (if you have the OneDrive app). OneDrive works well on iPhone as well.

WhatsApp-Heavy usage but planning to get bbm too on iPhone.
MyTube/YouTube-Daily usage.

I wouldn't use WhatsApp to save my soul, and I don't use Google services so I have no first hand experience with either. I'm sure you'll find the experience pleasing on both, my understanding is that WhatsApp is better on the iPhone. Well, on anything other than Windows Phone, heh.

Hope that all helps. The iPhone is a good platform. So is Windows Phone. Enjoy!

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

Wouldn't iPhone users be better equipped to deal with your queries?

Yeah I know but there is possibility that a person with both devices can have better resolution. I also posted on iMore forum, to get addressed by iPhone users.

I have - and use - both a Lumia 820 and an iPhone 5S
Hope that all helps. The iPhone is a good platform. So is Windows Phone. Enjoy!

Yes , just one more question- Will it be possible to transfer recorded audio to pc? Cause I think iPhone doesn't allow.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yes , just one more question- Will it be possible to transfer recorded audio to pc? Cause I think iPhone doesn't allow.

I *think* that if you use the stock Apple app, yes, you can import voice recordings into iTunes on your PC. Not sure of the exact details, but I know that iTunes does allow for that.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: I think i have to leave Windows Phone

It's a sad day for me really. But I think I have no choice. I've been a Win Phone user since the 900 was released, and i've invested in a 920 and a 1020 and patiently waited for the ecosystem to grow.. I've come to the realization that the platform is stuck and I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. The balance of my household uses iPhones and every time I pick my wife's phone up and try an app, I'm blown away with how much better it is. It's like driving a ferrari vs. a hyundai. It's not even close. Now I also tried the GS5 this weekend and was nothing but impressed. The sad thing, its not the OS itself that is driving me away, its simply the lack of quality apps. From Uber to American Express, the experience is weak on WP8.1 and I'm no longer confident that it will catch up. It is what it is as they say, but I think its time to make the switch back to an ecosystem that is fully-baked. Am I missing the light here? Would others agree that WP8.1 is - literally - years away from getting the apps needed to being a serious contender?

It's true that the app count is on the lower end and I'd another OS fires your needs then more power to you. My only thing would be I'd you really need all those apps but if you do you do. I absolutely love ❤ my WP. Have you tried 8.1? Anyway good luck 🍀

SchlepNT

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

Agreed with the app situation on Windows Phone. I have an 8X for work, and a Galaxy S4 as my personal phone. Tapatalk now is almost as good as the Android version, and Beats Music is every bit as nice (although a bit laggy). Other apps like IMDB and Slacker Radio are there but awful.

I'd like to make the switch to just having one phone, but it's a bit impossible for me at the moment. Supposedly the company may offer a choice when we upgrade in February. It'd be great to see the app choice pick up in the next few months to solidify a WP choice instead of Android.

HAMEDACC

May 4, 2014
Visit site

First Thanks to @a5cent who Closed my Thread
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1/287785-will-u-leave-wp-if-final-wp8-1-would-same-wp8-1-dev-prv.html
any way

Why I chose WP8:
- Its Unique UI
- Tired of iOS UI and iOS limitations(like: music downloading and syncing and ...)

and Why Leave WP8.1 and Give iOS 8 another chance:
- WP lag
- WP frustrating Resuming
- WP app gap
- WP app last updated gap (look at Line, Viber, Instagram, facebook apps and its deference on WP and iOS and Android)
- WP leaves First Priorities and focuses on Second

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Sorry Windows, I'm in the market for an LG G3.

Well as I said it was inevitable. I'm finally in the Market for an Android. I've been a Windows Phone user since the day one HTC HD7, and I'm finally jumping ship.

First of all, I'm NOT unhappy with my phone, more just unsatisfied. My phone (8X & ATIV S) works flawlessly and I'll likely still use them, the only difference is the G3 will be my daily driver.

I AM however unhappy with T-Mobile's windows phones selection. Honestly, Windows Phone IS behind in Apps, but I'm ready to accept that. The only real problem is I want a LARGE HD screen with a great design, and this is exactly it. I never liked the look of the Galaxy Series, and the Xperia series has boring designs. The build quality is great, actually it matches up to the M8, but that phones camera is subpar.

The G3 would be my dream phone if it ran WP8.1, even if Windows Phone doesn't take full advantage of the screen real estate. I'm HUGE on Movies, Videos and Games so it only makes perfect sense.

As for the AppGap and Feature Gap it is real. Believe it or not. Universal MOGA support, Full IR Blaster support are welcomed features. An app for my local news company, current bank, employee portal, DirecTV (that works well and has full features), and ALOT of games are also welcomed.

The hardware of the G3 is top of the line, and I'm not talking about just the screen. The back buttons leave much to be desired, but the build quality is noted for being excellent despite being plastic with a removable back. Wireless Charging, current Bluetooth standards, NFC, and the camera are all appreciated, and the screen (while niche) at least has that pop features since its not AMOLED. The battery (though will be drained faster than usual) is a good size. Battery life shouldn't be any less than my Lumia 925 as I usually am lucky to get 7 hours. I carry a charger anyway so it wont make a difference. The one things that caught my mind is LACK OF BEZEL! Thank god some company did our right. This is the only phone that's made me content with bezel. Even my Fiances GS5 doesn't please me in this aspect.

Now the gripes.. First, I'm gonna have to use a GOOGLE product, secondly I'm losing Cortana, and last but not least Im losing all the Xbox Games.

Sorry Windows Phone/T-Mobile but if you don't have a flagship 5"+ Windows Phone by the end of the month, I'm gone.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

Before people hop in and complain telling me to buy an off contract because it's cheaper, here's a breakdown of frequent upgrades (every 6 months) on T-Mobile's Jump.

Pay Day One $40 average tax. Pay every month for 6 months $20 average.

6mo x $20 = $120 + $40 = $160.

On average Tmobile customers are only paying $160 for the phone for a total "leasing" of 6 months, not bad if you always want the latest and greatest without caring for an "Extra" phone. It makes sense to us, you don't understand then tough luck.

*Some Phones cost more, but I haven't seen on with more than $50 tax and $30 a month

Gustavo Pereira

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

Just bought a Moto G, should arrive by tuesday. I managed to sell my Lumia 520 for a reasonable price. Thanks Nokia, Microsoft, despite some failures, i had good 7 months with my device.

Not planing to come back, but i'll keep cheering, hoping that Windows Phone can have the respect that it deserves.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

I *think* that if you use the stock Apple app, yes, you can import voice recordings into iTunes on your PC. Not sure of the exact details, but I know that iTunes does allow for that.

Successfully moved from windows phone to iOS. Life is so simple Man. Thanks bro for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss