Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erick Rmz

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Bye Bye WP8.1 and Lumia 520, hello again iPhone :(

I think this issues are not due to some defect in your 520, because same problems appears in other devices. For me the problem could be in WP itself. Not so abundant but I had same issues than you in my 920. Random reboots, battery draining suddenly during night and therefore the alarm died... I see MS is improving WP and fixing it, but I can't wait then to fix all those stuff until who knows when. If I can't rely on my phone for basic tasks like alarm, time to switch to other OS... For the moment, iOS is my option, although I prefer the simplicity of WP, but I need a reliable OS. So, you're not alone...
Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

I think this issues are not due to some defect in your 520, because same problems appears in other devices. For me the problem could be in WP itself. Not so abundant but I had same issues than you in my 920. Random reboots, battery draining suddenly during night and therefore the alarm died... I see MS is improving WP and fixing it, but I can't wait then to fix all those stuff until who knows when. If I can't rely on my phone for basic tasks like alarm, time to switch to other OS... For the moment, iOS is my option, although I prefer the simplicity of WP, but I need a reliable OS. So, you're not alone...
Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

You still having random battery drains on 920 with WP8.1? I had those issues with WP8, once of the reasons i initially left for iPhone...but when i came back to a 1020 i updated straight to 8.1 and did not witness the issues. Random battery drain is definitely one of the worst things to deal with and i agree, if you guys are witnessing these issues consistently i dont see a reason why you'd stay.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

Come on - really? Comparing a 520 to an iPhone reminds me at many people comparing an iPad to the cheapest windows tablet they found at the next corner store.

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

In the early days of my Lumia 920 (which I'm still using now) I set my alarm for 0500 for class at 0600. It did the reboot thing and I woke up at 0900. Hah fastest I've ever woken up. I've learned to set another alarm clock, just in case.

Portee

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

I did post a reply but it got deleted?? anyway just to say I wasn't comparing devices and for the money the 520 is bang on but despite the low cost I should not have to put up with reboots and shutdowns. Once I know this issue is put to bed I'll be straight back to the wp platform.

Bryan Sayas

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Road to Android: It's been fun with my HTC 8X

So I just ordered a OnePlus One and it'll be arriving 1 week from now.

The lack off support by HTC for its past WP8 phones made me do this decision. I will still be keeping the phone as a back-up phone, also I would still have a WP phone in case I miss the WP environment. :wink:

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Road to Android: It's been fun with my HTC 8X

So I just ordered a OnePlus One and it'll be arriving 1 week from now.

The lack off support by HTC for its past WP8 phones made me do this decision. I will still be keeping the phone as a back-up phone, also I would still have a WP phone in case I miss the WP environment. :wink:

What kind of support for Android phones are you talking about, sir..?

Bryan Sayas

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Road to Android: It's been fun with my HTC 8X

What kind of support for Android phones are you talking about, sir..?

I'm not talking anything about the OS support. I was talking about HTC not giving enough support for their existing devices that needed support, that's all. I have nothing against Windows Phone.

Cautionfire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I think I'm leaving Windows Phone... sad times

Please excusing spelling and grammatical errors English is not my first language..Also not exactly sure where would be appropriate to post it

Sadly I think I'm going to have to leave windows phone for a long while. I live in Canada and my contract is up for renewal in October as much as I've been a hard follower and enthusiast Microsoft and their products I feel as though I am really left with no choice. I've been on board since first getting an HD7 when it was first released and even now use an 8x as my daily driver. I'm probably going to have to switch to an iPhone most likely but I really wish there was a compelling reason to stay but after waiting so long I don't really see things improving anytime soon.

The windows phone support by carriers in Canada is absolutely terrible... last phone to get released was the 1020 and as much as i think the camera is awesome photography is not something that I really care too much about. I'd like a good camera if possible and ideally i would like the best camera possible without adding any extra size weight or sacrificing aesthetics. I want a thin flagship phone. The last release that really caught my attention was the 925 but no local release and now it's kinda outdated. You could make the argument that the performance enhancements to WP with newer hardware would be minimal at best but really why would I resign my contract for hardware that is from last generation. The 930 is a viable option but the extra girth to the phone in comparison to what other companies are releasing as flagships really bugs me as I would rather have a thinner device with a 12mp camera. Even Sony seems to have found a way to put a 20mp camera into a much thinner body than what the 930 has. I don't feel like I'm demanding too much in asking for a thin and well designed flagship device. I know HTC is bringing attention with their M8 for windows but as most ppl here know that HTC has been horrible with support and I've had nothing but problems with dealing with HTC for simple things like factory defects and having repairs done and receiving the phone back with additional damages. A review of people's posts to HTC Canada's Facebook page backs up essentially my experience with them in a nutshell. Either way I have huge doubts that even this hardware is coming to Canada. I think even during the reddit ama with Joe Belfiore he recommended that Canadians by phones off expansys where right now I could get a 930 for over $700+tax/import+shipping. I don't feel like that's a reasonable solution when my contract is up.

In addition a lot of software issues are starting to leave a sour taste every time i use my device. There has been so many arguments about the lack of some apps and the existing ones not being updated or having feature parity that I don't really feel the need to echo them here. The fact is they exist even in the apps that Microsoft itself makes for companies like Facebook. Also, Xbox music has been the bane of my life for months. it has been seriously disappointing since it was one of the main reasons I came from android as I wanted an all in one player that had a subscription service and play music I bought from bandcamp all in one app. Not sure what the landscape for that is like nowadays on other platforms but on WP the experience has been so terrible that in many ways the wp7 app is better. Persistent bug that the app wont update from the store if you have a lot of music pinned in kids corner or have more than 25 albums pinned to your start screen on top of that.

I could even deal with the software issues if I had hardware available to keep me going that is available in Canada. I would even settle for a 930 if it was actually available to me without having to buy it for $700+. I even switched my renewal hardware upgrade with my parents last year because there was nothing available and told myself I switch with them so I could wait a year and see. I even feel bad because I recommended to a close friend to get a 920 a few years back and later told her to use the developer preview and after getting used to it and enjoying it she also has no viable hardware to upgrade to. I feel like I'm just continually getting burned by being an enthusiast of the platform in Canada. It's a shame because I love so many things about the platform. The ideas behind the start screen has kept me here for this long. Pinning albums, people hub, start screen, Microsoft's health and sports apps, one note and office, fresh paint, ect. have all been wonderful and awesome to use and I still prefer the overall design of WP to any other OS out there but really what am I to do at this point? just continue to wait and hope that something comes to Canada and to my carrier? Renew my contract for an entry level windows phone that my current one from two years ago is better than in almost all respects?

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
This is why I'm leaving Windows Phone

I think this pretty much explains it: Nokia using old parts The phone is using the S4 power hungry screen. There are no flagship phones outside of the 1520 I would take and even that, with the screen not recognizing the location of your finger properly because of the hardware defect is a sad phone indeed.

The 830 is using an older, less efficient processor and who knows about the screen or parts used on this thing.

I feel as if Nokia took their brand and assumed because it's a Nokia that we would all fall in love with it. Microsoft, with it's inept ability to make decent hardware is no where to be seen with a new device.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: This is why I'm leaving Windows Phone

Not all have the same problems you are facing. I've been using Nokia for more than 5 years, still no issue. & even with the older processors WP works very well, lag free. I still have my older Lumia 710, works very well for me.

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

I think this pretty much explains it: Nokia using old parts The phone is using the S4 power hungry screen. There are no flagship phones outside of the 1520 I would take and even that, with the screen not recognizing the location of your finger properly because of the hardware defect is a sad phone indeed.

The 830 is using an older, less efficient processor and who knows about the screen or parts used on this thing.

I feel as if Nokia took their brand and assumed because it's a Nokia that we would all fall in love with it. Microsoft, with it's inept ability to make decent hardware is no where to be seen with a new device.

Really 830 using old processor??? So what about the Moto G 2014?? Heck that's even using the same specs but nobody is complaining about it also even its predecessor was using the same.
So yeah what you like buy it and what don't like don't buy it. You have alot of options so go besides of complaining

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

See, windows phones doesn't lag like Android does. It runs smoothly on single/dual core processors, so why complain? My friend has note 3, it lags even with an octa core processor, so what's the point?

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

If your leaving Windows phones for these reasons then you will not be happy with any phone you get.

kumar_rajan5000

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

What is the point in having latest processor in android when it will lag all the way. While windows phone do not lag even with older processor.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

I agree with your viewpoint regarding Nokia's hardware woes. But, you must know that the devices are under pipeline for a year(possibly more) in development and prototype stage. We started hearing rumors of superman and tesla around November, 2013. Microsoft only acquired division at the end of April, 2014 after regulatory approvals. Just 4 months after acquisition, I bet MS couldn't have done anything. They did scrapped McLaren though. There are two more phones slated for Threshold release. You can assume that 730/830 were the last phones release truly under old Nokia's influence. Phones released with Threshold and after will have more of a MS influence. Those will be the phones which will shed light upon device unit's future under the new Microsoft.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Is it me or are there more and more of these threads of people complaining why they're leaving Windows Phone? Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Here's a little dose of reality: Microsoft doesn't care if you stay or go because they still make their billions, so I wish you the best with whatever choice you make.

ams963

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Suit yourself. Good luck with the other slowpoke platforms. Hope you don't lag behind.[wink] LOL.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Is it me or are there more and more of these threads of people complaining why they're leaving Windows Phone? Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Here's a little dose of reality: Microsoft doesn't care if you stay or go because they still make their billions, so I wish you the best with whatever choice you make.

If Microsoft were the only one who couldn't care less.. Nobody on these forums bats an eye either. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)