Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Really 830 using old processor??? So what about the Moto G 2014?? Heck that's even using the same specs but nobody is complaining about it also even its predecessor was using the same.
So yeah what you like buy it and what don't like don't buy it. You have alot of options so go besides of complaining

because Moto G cost only $179 where as L830 cost you $430. Means $250 more than Moto G and in terms of performance they both are same.
You can't expect SD600 or SD800 in $179 but you can expect atleast SD600 in $430.

That is why L830 - Epic fail

What is the point in having latest processor in android when it will lag all the way. While windows phone do not lag even with older processor.

Moto G doesn't lag at all & get faster update too

Last edited by a moderator:

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

My 1320 had 760 kb free phone memory, it still didn't lag. My older Lumia 710 had 1mb free memory, it still didn't lag. You just wanna check smoothness of Android phones, start filling up free space to an extent what I did, only then I might say Android phones doesn't lag. Up for a challenge?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: I think I'm leaving Windows Phone... sad times

I would even settle for a 930 if it was actually available to me without having to buy it for $700+.

I understand your pain. One way around this particular problem is to buy a flagship such as the latest iPhone or Samsung Galaxy device on contract. You can then sell it and use the cash to buy whatever you want. But it sounds like this is only a small part of your overall issue.

Since you have so many pain points with WP, maybe it would be best to step away this round. Keep an eye on it. In 2 years when your contract is up for renewal again, your current issues with WP hopefully will have been resolved!

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

From Nokia to Nokia by Microsoft.

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: This is why I'm leaving Windows Phone

Is it me or are there more and more of these threads of people complaining why they're leaving Windows Phone? Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Here's a little dose of reality: Microsoft doesn't care if you stay or go because they still make their billions, so I wish you the best with whatever choice you make.

Completely agree that my absence from the eco system means nothing but those in this thread being dismissive of real complaints are troubling/annoying. While the android comments are half accurate, as you can always find laggy apps from any software developer, regardless of hardware.

I'm very frustrated with my 1520 and its screen defects and even more frustrated that there is no other flagship device. As I mentioned earlier the 930 is not flagship by any standards.

For those stating that my reasons aren't justified etc.. There are many other complaints already stated that do not need rehashing. This review was the first one that is in depth on a so called great device.

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Really 830 using old processor??? So what about the Moto G 2014?? Heck that's even using the same specs but nobody is complaining about it also even its predecessor was using the same.
So yeah what you like buy it and what don't like don't buy it. You have alot of options so go besides of complaining

Why do you have to bring up android in the conversation? I didn't bring it up, were trying to talk about the real issues around WP, nothing more.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site

In all fairness the only 'major' gripe i have with my 1520 is the tap/scroll thing. Which, by occasionally pressing down the ends of the screen, i've managed to almost alleviate. Sure, it's not acceptable that they release the device with such a major fault, but I've learned to live with it. Occasionally pressing on the screen edges solved my problem; i very rarely experience taps as swipes any more. I still however experience a very annoying thing in IE, whereby the page 'snaps around' after scrolling a bit.

900 > 1520 by the way

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

In all fairness the only 'major' gripe i have with my 1520 is the tap/scroll thing. Which, by occasionally pressing down the ends of the screen, i've managed to almost alleviate. Sure, it's not acceptable that they release the device with such a major fault, but I've learned to live with it. Occasionally pressing on the screen edges solved my problem; i very rarely experience taps as swipes any more. I still however experience a very annoying thing in IE, whereby the page 'snaps around' after scrolling a bit.

900 > 1520 by the way

How did you get yours to work? My problem occurs within the applications and rarely on the main screen. Did they collaborate the software with the screen so that it is different vs applications? I'm confused but here are the applications:

Bing Weather
Tapatalk
Facebook
Internet Explorer
A few others that I can't remember

Brian McBride

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Is it me or are there more and more of these threads of people complaining why they're leaving Windows Phone? Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Here's a little dose of reality: Microsoft doesn't care if you stay or go because they still make their billions, so I wish you the best with whatever choice you make.

It is clear you should NEVER work as an executive in a company. Of COURSE Microsoft cares if people stay or go. Where do you think they make their billions? From charity? Every sale lost is a dollar lost.

You know, it would be best for you if you just never say again, in any business setting, that losing a customer isn't something to care about.

Josh Acosta

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
My Experience with Windows Phone: I'm Done.

I am done. Windows Phone is seriously the biggest letdown of all my cell phones. Now, before you go ahead and judge me as "idiotic" or as a "troll", please hear out my explanation.
First off, I'm no new person to Windows Phone. I wanted a Windows Phone for about 3 years and have had one for 2. I was drawn to the Windows Phone OS by the pretty interface. Now on WP 8.1 Update 1, it looks better than ever. Still, LOTS of work to be done. LOTS. I'll be honest, the only things I still enjoy about Windows Phone are the start screen and Cortana, which are the best aspects of the OS in my opinion. But, as I was saying, I've been with Windows Phone for a considerable amount of time. I bought the Lumia 920 at launch, and in my mind: it was perfect. The moment I finally got one that belonged to me, I fell in love. After a few weeks though, a hint of regret surfaced. I realized how horrific the app store really was. Back when the 920 came out, the store was so much worse than it is today. SO, so bad. But, I loved the OS so much I didn't worry too much about it. As I said before, the OS is very pretty. This was how it was with me for the longest time: I was a WP ******. Fast forward a year later, and things have changed. I still loved the phone, but it was showing its age. The biggest complaint I had with it is one I still have today: the app store. There were other things that bugged me too (like the bugs), but the app store was still... bad. Luckily, Rudy Huyn, which in my and many others' opinion is the BEST app developer for WP, released 6tag and I think 6sec as well. I at least had that. But, I would try out my friend's phones version of the app and it was so much better on iPhone and Android. It started to irk me more and more. Fast forward to today, and my Windows Phone is a piece of crap. I love using Kik, but DEAR LORD. IT KILLS THE BATTERY WITHIN MINUTES. ON A FULL CHARGE. It sucks because I use it frequently and no one I know uses anything else. And still, the app store just makes me sad. Even if it's better than ever. It's a sad app store. Instagram has yet to update its beta, Twitter doesn't support GIFs yet, and don't even get me started with XBox Music. That's what bugs me most about the app store: If there's an official app, it's not better than the ones on other OS's. It goes for all official apps on Windows Phone. And that really disappoints me. Continuing, the OS's looks have worn off on me. Now, I see it and all it's flaws- and there's a lot of them. Like, for example, XBox Music :)eck:). The design of the music app is so poor. In fact, when scrolling music, only less than half the screen shows your list of music. WHY, MICROSOFT? Is that really what you want the app to look like?! As a frequent music listener, it really angers me how terrible this app is (which is why it has a 2 star rating on the Marketplace). It's really the tiny details and as well as a few major ones in Windows Phone that kill the OS for me. Other problems I have with my phone are that the phone constantly restarts on me, heats up to the point where it's too warm to handle, and the colors sometimes go haywire when I unlock the phone (of course, this isn't entirely Microsoft's fault *ahem* Nokia *ahem*. It's been a terrible experience for me.
To sum it up, the OS does not hold up. If you get phones on a two year contract, you won't be satisfied with Windows Phone. If otherwise, you probably still won't be satisfied with Windows Phone. Of course, this is my opinion. I'm allowed to have an opinion on the internet, right? :grin: :grincry:
Well, this means goodbye WP Central. I've been an avid reader for years now, and honestly, I'm sad to leave. But, Windows Phone doesn't cut it for me. Yet. Just because I say goodbye, this doesn't mean I'm never coming back. If Microsoft fixes their **** with this OS, I'd be eager to jump back on board. Windows Phone will always have a special place in my geek heart. But, until the OS is not crappy anymore, this means goodbye WP Central, and hello Android Central!

Thanks for reading! How has your experience with Windows Phone been? Especially those who have used it for at least a year or so? I'd love to read your thoughts. Hopefully it's been better than mine :grin:

Matt_Matthew

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: My Experience with Windows Phone: I'm Done.

We have the opposite experience sir though I respect your opinions. Still happy with my 1520 and 920. Specially with the 1520 because of its battery and camera. When it comes to apps, I don't have much problems cause I only use the usual and common apps for social networking. Facebook, messenger, 6tag, twitter, etc. I'm fine with those apps and couple of games and tools. I guess i'm not that geeky person.

Goodluck on your next phone sir. Maybe you'll be back on Windows after the release of Threshold. Sorry about my poor english.

Josh Acosta

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: My Experience with Windows Phone: I'm Done.

We have the opposite experience sir though I respect your opinions. Still happy with my 1520 and 920. Specially with the 1520 because of its battery and camera. When it comes to apps, I don't have much problems cause I only use the usual and common apps for social networking. Facebook, messenger, 6tag, twitter, etc. I'm fine with those apps and couple of games and tools. I guess i'm not that geeky person.

Goodluck on your next phone sir. Maybe you'll be back on Windows after the release of Threshold. Sorry about my poor english.
I'd be more than happy to stay with Windows Phone! But, I will only if Threshold addresses my concerns, as well as gains developer support from official app developers. I hate to be that guy, but 3rd party apps aren't as good as official ones in my opinion. I love Rudy Huyn and his work on 6tag and 6snap and all of the 6's, but we can't rely on him to bring us the latest features of official apps. But, hopefully I'll see myself back on Windows soon.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Not all have the same problems you are facing. I've been using Nokia for more than 5 years, still no issue. & even with the older processors WP works very well, lag free. I still have my older Lumia 710, works very well for me.
WP7 was really fast, WP was bit slower, n WP8.1 is more slowers and even lags like android on 512mb devices

Gilda675

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

I switched last Wednesday from a lumia 620 to a blackberry Z3. Was very happy with the 620 apart for the facts that WP8.1 slowed it down a bit and the small screen. The lack of certain apps did not really bother me either. The main reason that I bought the Z3 was to try a new OS and I loved the shape and look of it. After a week of heavy use, I can say that the battery lasts about 1.5 days, the fluidity is on par with WP and the fact that android apk files are supported is a big bonus. Oh and it even supports and plays flash content out of the box. The major plus of BB is the Hub.......God bless the Hub.

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I will keep my lumia 920 with me, but I'm getting a LG G3...

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

because Moto G cost only $179 where as L830 cost you $430. Means $250 more than Moto G and in terms of performance they both are same.
You can't expect SD600 or SD800 in $179 but you can expect atleast SD600 in $430.

That is why L830 - Epic fail

Moto G doesn't lag at all & get faster update too

ive seen a moto g 2013 lag,dont see why a 2014 cant
as for "epic fail" i dont remember seeing a moto g running wp8.1 instead of resource hungry android or sporting a pureview camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire