Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Heavily considering switching to Android

Every platform has strength and weaknesses. I suggest you check out the Other OS subforum and see what people said about their switches and since most of them are coming from WP they would be able to help point out what challenges if any there were switching using MS services. Personally I had no problems. I have the Office App; My outlook.com account set up as an Exchange Active Sync; and OneDrive to backup my photos. The only missing thing is the reliable traffic reports from Cortana.

doob9911

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site

You can delete google apps. But if you want play store, use redeem instead of credit card or just get apk file on the websites. You can use outlook, onenote, onedrive, and xboxmusic. Android doesnt mean google. Google just bought this os for money.

Kit Fai Ho

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I was a strong supporter of WindowsPhone, but I abandoned it for iOS.

Dear WPCentral comrades,

Good afternoon from Singapore. I was from the L1020 platoon not long ago, but lately, my love for the Windows Empire dwindled.

I remember it as the Fall of 2012, the L920 platoon introduced the Holy WP Empire to it's infancy. I was from Team 3GS at the time, when Captain Elop introduced the L920, I saw hope of exodus toward Ex-Admiral Bill Gates' empire. Many of the people from the Android Army abandoned their ranks to join the L920 platoon afresh. They praised the L920 platoon to be free of lag and bugs.

I was shaken by their words, because during that period, I was unsure of the directions of General Cook. However, I did not wish to bow to the ideals of the all knowing Google. Hence I waited patiently and believed that one day, I will find my true path.

Then came the L1020 platoon, it was the vanguard of Imaging with unparalleled strength, it's only weakness was the slow mobilisation(start up) and aiming(focus). But who cares about those when you have a super-powered cannon(camera) that can decimate enemies in one shot? I was excited beyond measure and waited patiently for the L1020 platoon to recruit officers in Singapore.

During Fall 2013, they finally reached Singapore shore. I quickly went to the nearest M1 Outpost to sign up. It was a magical day, I tested the L1020's cannon ability and find that the photon concentrating abilities and anti-earthquake(OIS) of the L1020 to be unmatched even by the State of the Art 5S. I knew I found my destiny, or so I thought.

My days with the L1020 were blissful. Many of my journeys were accompanied by the L1020, from my internship to my summer studies. The photon collecting abilities never let me down, it has won appraisals from the citizens of the Android Army and Appleland alike. But deep inside, something wasn't right. I began to nit pick the weaknesses of the Holy WP Empire under the helm of Ex-Admiral Ballmer.

During my summer studies, I slowly succumbed to the demon that has plagued the Holy WP Empire for ages- the AppAbyss(gap). Amongst the ranks of the Holy WP Empire, some say that it was just a myth while others silently acknowledge the existence of this demon. Commander RudyHuyn - one of the legendary demon slayer known to mankind developed his 6weapons and never gave up fighting. Captain JeoBelfiore worked tirelessly to convince the ArsenalDevelopers(AppDevelopers) to lend us their hand to give the Holy WP Empire a fighting chance. Commander D.Rubino on the other hand tries his very best to keep the morales of our soldiers high with his optimism and honest&fair speeches(Why Microsoft Keeps Starting Over Windows Phone, Do Windows Phone Users Need Become Haughty Apple Fans Win Battle) Sadly, even with Commander Rudy, Captain Joe and Commander Rubino's charisma, it couldn't stop my hunger for apps like Duolingo, ScootMobile, Youtube, OCBCmobile(a Singapore bank app), Uniqlo, Mobile Learn, Hyperlapse and etc.

Subsequently, the SnapdragonS4 issue destroyed the morale of the L1020 Platoon. I remembered it was a rainy day when Commander Rubino conveyed the ill news on the WPCentral Bulletin Board. For the L1020 platoon, we thought that the SnapDragon wouldn't be a problem to us as Captain Joe said that the Denim Supplies(update) were on the way. To our horror, the LumiaCannon(Camera) upgrades were destroyed by the SnapDragon. The LumiaCannon was a very crucial to the L1020's conquest in the Imaging Peninsula, it would mobilise the existing NokiaCannon faster and greatly reduce the latency between shots. The news crippled the L1020 Platoon, many of us couldn't recover from the shock while many others suffered traumas.

Finally, the Holy WP Empire's efficiency(multitasking) delivered the final nail to the coffin. About a week ago, I came across and encrypted video message from PhoneBuff, it was about the optimisation battle between The Android Army and Appleland(iPhone 6 vs. Galaxy S5 vs. HTC One (M8) Speed Test). I was impressed by the message it carried, but did not realise the subliminal ideas it has incepted in my mind. I immediately tried the message's test on the L1020 >>>>>>> Whatsapp > WindowsButton > NokiaCannon > WindowsButton > OneNote > WindowsButton > TempleRun > WindowsButton > Asphalt: Airborne.... Frantically I resummoned the apps above in sequence, some resumed immediately while some reloaded. I was at the brink of meltdown, how could the L1020, one of the highest RAM Lumia Platoon not do well on optimisation. "The SnapDragon, it must be the doings of that bloody Dragon", I told myself. Not long after, I went to an M1 Outpost and did the same test with the L1520 platoon, to my relief, they did not suffered the same fate as us. So I knew that what had happened to the L1020 must have been that bloody Snapdragon's fault, I blame Captain Elop for everything that has happened to the L1020.

In shame, I defected to Appleland when my uncle from Team iPhone6, recommended me into his old Team iPhone5. I am content with what Team iPhone 5 offers me. However, I do miss the days fighting alongside Captain Joe, Captain Elop, Commander Rudy and Commander Rubino. I believe under Admiral Satya's leadership, the now Holy Windows Empire will rise up as one of the 3 super powers. I am sorry for defecting to Appleland, I am still confused.

If any of the commander or captains ever see this, this is my message to you:
Captain Joe: Do not make the same SnapDragon mistake as Captain Elop did.
I suggest these improvement to be made to the Back Button -- In-app, back can act as a real 'back' button, however, one step before exiting, grant it function such that it behaves like Appleland's home button, suspend apps so that the next time we resume, we will just 'un-suspend' instead of re-launching the app.
Captain Elop: Don't do crazy stuff again please.
Commander Rudy: You will always be the best ArsenalDeveloper in the Holy Windows Empire.
Commander Rubino: Keep the Holy Windows Empire's morale high, one day, I will return again and fight along side all of you. I still read WPCentral everyday, to remind myself of where I was from and to know the right time to return.

Thank you.

Regards,
CEEmuggers

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

You have quite the imagination... maybe one day you will return to the fold.

Kit Fai Ho

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

May that day ever come, I will fly the Holy Windows Empire flag high.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Switching from WP to Android phone is not a really hard thing to do when you are unhappy with it.

It does have issues just like WP.... but they are way easier to get around..

There are many people don't realize just how important having a personal music and video collection is to folks like you. They think streaming everything is the best since they prefer doing it.

I switched from Verizon many years ago and haven't regretted it for a second. My area has great coverage except for Verizon. Where my signal is weak at home a micro tower brings it up to max 4g and with a top end router my 100meg cable service is beyond awesome. LTE service is the best too.

I can't stand IE in any iteration and the same thing for Xbox music and video and is 3 of the 4 main reasons I left for a Android phone. There were other annoying issues besides those but I did enjoy my 1520 until it was a daily fight with it.

Wp will change with 10 but until Microsoft allows other music and video engines as well as other browsers to be used I'll use Android phones.

Gmail works great if set up properly and Outlook and one drive does too for me.

Personally I would seriously consider changing carriers if you really want to stay with the Windows Phone... and drop into a Microsoft store and byod to someone else

If you do switch to Android and stay with Verizon the Droid is a good choice. The new Z3 is another one too.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

no one can answer your question for you for your perspective im afraid. Use what you like and what works for you for your current needs.
One day "insert os name" will be "insert catch phrase" doesn't apply due to each persons individual variables. Which is why I never really understood the OS wars - they're simply is no one perfect solution for all, just for you.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

First a little background:

I'm a big Microsoft guy. I always have been, even when I didn't know it. My first MP3 player was the Halo 3 Zune, back when they were like big cool bricks and the Zune Software was brown rather than... pink. And I loved it, and it saved me from going down the Apple orchard that my father initially tried to lead me down. I got a Zune HD a couple years later, and loved it as well.

Then, two years after that, I got my first Windows Phone: the HTC Trophy. And it was essentially a Zune Phone, and everything I could ask for. It was simple, useful, and unobtrusive with its functions. This was back with Windows Phone 7, so the platform wasn't as pronounced as it is now, but the new selection of apps and games made the whole experience a great leap from Zune HD. When new phones were announced, I couldn't wait to get ahold of better hardware to further improve my experience.

What I got last year was a Nokia Lumia 928. Being on Verizon, there was no Lumia selection prior. Well, there might have been something called the 822, but it wasn't nearly as prominent as this, being a spinoff of the popular 920, and it ran on Windows Phone 8, the new OS, with access to all new games and apps!

But this was the start of a downward trend. Not immediately, at first I enjoyed it greatly, and still do to an extent. But further down the line there were too many problems for me to bear with.

First and foremost, the music app. Back then, it wasn't an app, just part of the OS, as we all know. But this was the first time that the app decided to play surgeon with my metadata. I'd always arranged songs and albums to my own preferences, putting single songs from different artists together into large albums. This was never a problem with my Zune and Trophy, as the Zune Software allowed for easy editing of metadata and easy merging of albums. But now Zune Software was orphaned, and in its place was an atrocious Windows Phone App that only allows you to add files without giving proper context, and so it decides to fill in the blanks itself and change stuff around, ripping songs out of albums and putting them into a new one, or duplicating songs to achieve that same goal, and all manner of just disorganizing and cluttering my work.

Even when there are no blanks to fill, it screws things up. My Halo soundtracks, which were handed down by my original Zune 30 GB, had whole albums get lost in translation, and some had album art changed to totally irrelevant pieces. At first I thought it'd get better with time, but it consistently gets worse with every update, which seems to find more ways to screw things up. I once even managed to put it all back together by deleting all the music off my phone and adding it again, but then an update came along and chopped everything up again. Even my Amazing Spider-Man 2 soundtrack was chopped up into like six or seven different albums, with five or six out of that six or seven containing only one song by a different artist, causing the entire problem.

That's my main beef. There are other small issues I have with the app, like how it seems that when playing with headphones/earphones, sound is quieter coming out of the left than the right. I don't know what causes it, but it's super bothering.

Another main problem is the optimization of the OS. With each update, it seems battery performance gets worse, especially with IE11, which seems to take up more power than any other app fathomable. I initially believed that this was due to the common "leave the battery charging at 100% too much and you'll ruin the battery life," but I was told that there was something in the software or hardware that cut off charge once it was full. I'd buy another battery to make sure, but the batteries on Lumia phones aren't removable, so it's out of the question. I can't even go through a day with moderate use before getting below 50% on a phone that's supposed to have over 2000 minutes of usage time.

The final major issue is carrier support. I'm on Verizon, and the Windows Phone selection is incredibly slim. AT&T seems to have its leash on all the flagship models, with the 920 and 1020. T-Mobile has a wide selection, too. The HTC Trophy was, for a good while, the only Windows Phone on Verizon. Now there's five, and the only upgrades are a Lumia Icon, which is just a somewhat beefier version of what I have now, and the new HTC One M8, which isn't really special beyond the dot-case gimmick. And none of them offer the color variety seen with the 920, coming only in dull black or white. This lack of support makes accessory selection incredibly sparse, which has also been an issue.

Then there's a bunch of minor issues, such as the lack of good app support, lack of customization, and all the other anchors plaguing the platform that, up to now, I was willing to put up with. The app selection in particular bothers me because apparently the store is very restrictive, much like with the App Store on the iPhone and unlike Windows and its desktop programs, but I've gathered that nearly anything can be done on Android. That liberty is particularly enticing.

But don't get me wrong, there's been a lot of improvements. The notification center is great, and the small improvements to customization were welcome, but there's just not a lot there for me. I'm not a photographer, so all the focus on photo apps and such isn't appealing to me. Cortana, while a very intriguing program, isn't of use, because I don't need a digital assistant.

There are things that make me want to stay with the program. I'll miss all the Microsoft cross-functionality. Like I said, I'm a big Microsoft guy. I use OneNote, Office, and OneDrive a lot. I'm a big Xbox gamer, too. So the ability to seamlessly work with that using my phone has been a major plus for me. However, it's not quite enough to stake a whole purchase on, especially as Microsoft applies these programs to other platforms.

And I know Windows 10 is coming and I'm excited to see it on my desktop. However, I haven't much hope for it on a phone, because if they couldn't do it before, I'm not 100% sure how they'll do it now. And that won't fix the music app and lack of Verizon support.

So I'm heavily considering getting an Android phone, particularly a Droid MAXX. But I'm not going to be rash and headstrong with this. I like Microsoft, I don't really like Apple, but I HATE Google. Every single service I've used (or been forced to use) from them has always caused me trouble, particularly because they have no customer support when I need it, as opposed to Microsoft, which has the most excellent customer support I've seen next to Elder Scrolls Online. But, to my knowledge, Google has little control over the OS, so it shouldn't be an issue. I hope.

I was just wondering if there's any solid reason I should wait, or if there's some answer to my prayers that I'm unaware of. I've been with this OS for over seven years, and I don't plan to abandon it so easily. I'll come back if Windows 10 turns out to be the messiah we've been waiting for, but after utter disappointment of Destiny, my hype is being kept well in check.

Google does have control over Android, it's not a bad thing though.

Anyways do try out an Android device before making your decision. Both OSes are great, but even I moved back to Android after a short while.

I've had more problems back when I used iPhone and Android than I do with my Windows Phone. Android: Do you know how annoying it is to have to use a task manager and anti-virus on your PHONE? iPhone: Going through iTunes is the worst experience ever.

You don't "have" to use an anti-virus or task manager. Android handles all that very well now.

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site

If you want to be able to do everything you want on a phone, you should go to Android. Android is the closest to a full computer OS you can get. I was with Android for 6 years. I left because the operating system is to fragmented, the skins are ugly, and I'm concerned about privacy. I love the WP interface, and I do hope MS can bring WP to the same level as others.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Switched from Lumia 520 to Moto E.
I switched because of no other reason but because i wanted to see how much android had changed from 2.3 gingerbread and Moto E is a fantastic value for money.I like windows phone and Nokia a lot but since i change phones once a year i switched and happily Moto E will receive the new android lollipop update.But i do miss Nokia so i might get another windows phone in future as Nokia is my favorite cell phone company in the world.

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site

Switched from Lumia 520 to Moto E.
I switched because of no other reason but because i wanted to see how much android had changed from 2.3 gingerbread and Moto E is a fantastic value for money.I like windows phone and Nokia a lot but since i change phones once a year i switched and happily Moto E will receive the new android lollipop update.But i do miss Nokia so i might get another windows phone in future as Nokia is my favorite cell phone company in the world.

Don't wait too long. Nokia is no more. It might be the same people but MS is already removing the Nokia brand and who knows what other changes they may make.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I wonder how many other forums allow threads like this.

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows...

I wonder how many other forums allow threads like this.

It's what I like about this forum. A lot of people here are multi- or cross-platform thinkers and users.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

It might be the same people but MS is already removing the Nokia brand

MS is contractually required to remove the Nokia brand. Since Nokia continues on as a separate company, MS was licensed use of the name only for a certain length of time. When that length of time ends, MS can no longer use the name.

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site

MS is contractually required to remove the Nokia brand. Since Nokia continues on as a separate company, MS was licensed use of the name only for a certain length of time. When that length of time ends, MS can no longer use the name.

I know, and with the brand change, they will most likely lose great engineers and designers that were loyal to Nokia. We should hope they get replaced by equally good or better people.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

they will most likely lose great engineers and designers that were loyal to Nokia

Assuming that hasn't already happened. My gut says that MS wasn't as interested in the people as they were in the factories and distribution channels.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Nokia doesn't have the influence that MSFT has so any engineers that wouldn't want to design for MSFT isn't thinking rationally. Notice the carrier exclusivity seems to not be as present. Qi wireless charging which AT&T was quick to deny on the 1520 is available on the 830. Why the change of heart?? MSFT.

Avik Biswas

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

I am getting out of wp ico system. It's just too limited, i will probably get a android one plus one, but ofc i will keep an eye on WP 10, if that sucks just like the WP 8.1, i will probably transfer all my stuff to Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs