Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

I am getting out of wp ico system. It's just too limited, i will probably get a android one plus one, but ofc i will keep an eye on WP 10, if that sucks just like the WP 8.1, i will probably transfer all my stuff to Android.

One+1 is decent choice if you get it cheap. But if you're a Lumia user, you'll find the 1+1 camera wanting after a while

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Gave up after almost 4 years of Windows Phone (HTC Trophy and Lumia 822) and got a Galaxy 5. While the interface is not as easy to navigate I am impressed. The fact I now have basically any app I want is a good feeling. I now can bank on my phone with ease and have a good facebook app with all the features. Sad thing is the Galaxy came with 3 music players installed, Google Music, Amazon Music and the default Samsung music player. All 3 of them kick the pants out of the Xbox Music app when it comes to playing your local music collection. That is just pathetic. Since I never used Android before I was surprised to see how much of Android is emulated in Windows Phone 8.1.1. Microsoft still has a long way to go and quite frankly I never see them catching up. Their only hope is the budget crowd in my opinion. I hope I am wrong and will be back someday. BTW by no means am I leaving the Windows eco system-have a Surface tablet, 3 pcs and 2 laptops with Windows 8, Xbox 360 and a Xbox One. Oh and a Zune buried somewhere in a box lol

Last edited:

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

The HTC Trophy was my first Windows phone. Wow how times have changed. Not sure if you've tried any of the newer phones with the newer ecosystems, but you should as I'm sure you'd be impressed. As for Xbox music, one thing MSFT has done is held its promise in updating the app almost on a bi-weekly basis to where i think it comparable to what's loaded on any Android device. You mentioned Zune, which i still use and with my Zune music pass it flawlessly integrates, and i love the radio option like Pandora. However Nokia Music is the best music app around. Someone so MSFT centric, I'm sure you're interested in Windows 10 and would I'm sure be tempted to test the waters again in time.

Avik Biswas

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

One+1 is decent choice if you get it cheap. But if you're a Lumia user, you'll find the 1+1 camera wanting after a while

I barely use mobile camera, but for quick shot they should do just fine.

Athul Paul

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site

I switched from lumia 520 to moto g(2nd gen) happy with the phone but miss wp.
Also the battery life seriously sucks, need to charge twice a day!

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

I just shifted to redmi 1 S as secondary phone .It has good camera compared to my greenish tint lumia 820.This is only my test drive with android later I wish to sell android nd go to moto e when android L comes am impressed with redmi 1S for its miui features.

Sent from my HM 1SW using WPCentral Forums mobile app

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I switched from lumia 520 to moto g(2nd gen) happy with the phone but miss wp.
Also the battery life seriously sucks, need to charge twice a day!

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

You must have got a faulty unit as Motorola phones have good battery life.I get more battery life out of my Moto E than i did with Lumia 520.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Do you have facebook messenger installed? That sucked the life out of my phone's battery. I uninstalled it and it has help a lot on my Galaxy 5.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Do you have facebook messenger installed? That sucked the life out of my phone's battery. I uninstalled it and it has help a lot on my Galaxy 5.

then use windows phone, windows phone's facebook's messenger doesn't suck your battery like android one in the hell

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

then use windows phone, windows phone's facebook's messenger doesn't suck your battery like android one in the hell

Yes, but Window's facebook client stinks compared to Android. Honestly, after a week now with my Galaxy I'm not sure why anyone would want to limit themselves with Windows Phone. You are missing out on a lot. I kept telling myself apps did not matter for the last 4 years and bought into it but in reality it does. Just the fact I have a few banking apps has made my life easier and the robust music players on Android are way above anything in Windows Phone. I am also shocked on how much of 8.1.1 is really emulating Android. Right now I am more pissed off at Microsoft for not getting their stuff together and now having an Android phone realizing just how far behind they really are. I just don't see them catching up.

Last edited:

RevoMikey101

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
My contract is nearly up....

Anyone else busting to get rid of this piece of cr@p? 6 weeks left of this awful os and I can't wait to leave it behind.

2 years of crap apps, random battery drains and being drip fed updates for things that should have been sorted before the os was released.

Nokia have my respect, great build quality but dead in the water now that ms own them.

So long wp, may your death be swift.

betterlife19

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: My contract is nearly up....

Can't disagree with you, if you're going for android i recommend xperiaz3 compact, Xperia z3 or galaxy s5. Would not be disappointed by either of these srs

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: My contract is nearly up....

Though I can see the appeal of android, expecially the likes of the Z3, I personally have had a love hate relationship with my Lumia 920. Mainly love. Yes, I agree there are many apps that I wish were on Windows Phone as well.
But the main features (some of which have been out on other OS's for a long time) are coming to WP too. Though they're not really features I'm too fussed about.
I like my windows phone. Some times I look at my dad's z3, and say, yeah I wish I had that, but most other times I sit at laugh at the clunkyness of his phone.

Each to their own! I hope you enjoy your new phone as much as I enjoy mine. :)

databaseninja

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Frustrated and considering leaving the club, likely a new iPhone sales

I just wanted to throw this out there... I'm a self-proclaimed 'Microsoft Fan' and have been making my career on various Microsoft platforms for over 20 years. I use Microsoft SQL Server in complex and high-performance environments, went out on my own and purchased a Surface 2 Pro that I use around the office and I took the leap into the Windows Phone world from Android.

I had a Droid X and I liked it for a while (being an engineer) but over time the performance degraded based on the lack of controls around app development and it got to the point that it would hang making a phone call. Call me old fashioned but I phone needs to be very dependable to make a phone call.

So I considered my options (not an Android fan still) and decided to be adventurous and get a Windows Phone. Picked up a Nokia 928 at Verizon and was ready to blaze a path to show my world how awesome it was. My signature on my email messages from my phone is "Windows Phone... yeah... I've gone there!".

So now... 18 months into my two year commitment I am extremely disillusioned. I love the Windows Phone interface. But the MicroUSB port broke on my phone after my warrantee is up and it's pretty much impossible to fix. The biggest issue for me is the apps... or continuous lack there of. My bank doesn't have one... my favorite shopping/coupon apps from Android/iPhone are not available. I mean I can find apps that do almost anything but it's a much smaller pool to select from. And even though I can get several 'major' apps for things like Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc... those apps are not well maintained and are quite far behind their Android and iPhone counterparts. It's like being a second class citizen. The biggest kicker... I've been waiting for Windows 8.1 (Cyan) and it seems to never be coming to the Nokia 928. I realize this is a Verizon thing but Microsoft is going to get some of the negative splash effect from this from me because it's a Windows Phone. Microsoft needs to figure out how to apply some pressure or subsidize getting their platform supported better. At the end of the day I'm a Windows Phone customer and I'm not very happy any more.

As of this moment I'll be a new iPhone customer starting next Spring. I've tried Android and now Windows so this is my next logical step. Both my kids have it (they care about the apps available on it) and although I like the Windows interface better... I'm now more about the big picture relating to functionality and integration with an ecosystem. I'm not willing to wait for Windows 10 because I frankly don't trust that it will be any more 'commercially successful' than Windows 8/8.1. I have about 6 months left to see what happens to impact my position but I'm not optimistic.

I don't know how many others are as frustrated as me to really want something to be successful and have been willing to 'sacrifice' some things to support the cause... but I'm tired of sacrificing because I'm not feeling the love back.

Regards,

Disenfranchised Windows Phone Customer

RevoMikey101

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

Decided to go for the HTC m8. Looks decent spec. Can't go back to ios, that's like a noose, too restrictive, Windows is pretty much dead so that leaves android. Can't wait.

Timbo512

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

I am thinking of switching because my contract is up and there are no new phones anywhere on the WP horizon better than what I already have. Now I am finding out MS has locked down my SMS so tight that I cannot transfer them, I feel like I am back in the Crapple ecosystem. Who doesn't let you have your text, even in CSV format? I love the look and feel of the OS but I thought after 2 years the Apps would be more prevalent and the phone adopted.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Decided to go for the HTC m8. Looks decent spec. Can't go back to ios, that's like a noose, too restrictive, Windows is pretty much dead so that leaves android. Can't wait.

The HTC was my second choice, ended up going with a Galaxy 5 because I could keep using my wireless charging pads.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

I am thinking of switching because my contract is up and there are no new phones anywhere on the WP horizon better than what I already have. Now I am finding out MS has locked down my SMS so tight that I cannot transfer them, I feel like I am back in the Crapple ecosystem. Who doesn't let you have your text, even in CSV format? I love the look and feel of the OS but I thought after 2 years the Apps would be more prevalent and the phone adopted.

I'm pretty sure there is a way- do a search in these forums. I remember a way to change something around in your hotmail to get be able to read your SMS on your PC and be able to copy them.

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site

One of the apps I liked the most on Android was an app that automatically saved SMS/MMS as emails in my Gmail account. I agree that SMS should be portable and archivable. Unfortunately, I don't think it's doable on iOS and WP. Someone please prove me wrong. However, I make sure not to use SMS for important discussions anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720