Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorden vanmeensel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

I've been thinking about switching to another platform for a long time. I supported WP since WP7.5 (a.k.a the big UI change) and I still am a big fan! But the app gap is just isn't closing fast enough. The only thing that is keeping me on WP is the fluidity of the OS and the small amount of bugs. Those are things that are a priority for me.

If I switched it would be a difficult choise. iOS is the closest thing to WP if it comes to fluidity and small amount of bugs. It just works. But with android you can change EVERYTHING and I men EVERYTHING. that is just something you can't ignore.

At the moment i'm going to wait what WP10 will do to the ecosystem, but when there is still no change in mid 2015 i'm going to step off the WP boat and move on.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Like the majority of iOS/Apple users who have tons of money invested in Apples ecosystem, I have quite a bit of cash invested in Microsoft's ecosystem. Hardware, software, and games. As a gamer who scoffed at mobile gaming initially, I found my mindset changed by the potential of Xbox gaming on a phone. Achievements on the go? Yes please! Xbox LIVE on Windows Phone has always been, and continues to be, the biggest draw for me. Everything else from Live Tiles to Cortana and Live Folders is just icing on the cake to me. It helps that I've loved using Windows my whole life and I've been a stalwart hotmail/outlook user for 13 years, plus being a PC repair hobbyist.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

I've been thinking about switching to another platform for a long time. I supported WP since WP7.5 (a.k.a the big UI change) and I still am a big fan! But the app gap is just isn't closing fast enough. The only thing that is keeping me on WP is the fluidity of the OS and the small amount of bugs. Those are things that are a priority for me.

If I switched it would be a difficult choise. iOS is the closest thing to WP if it comes to fluidity and small amount of bugs. It just works. But with android you can change EVERYTHING and I men EVERYTHING. that is just something you can't ignore.

At the moment i'm going to wait what WP10 will do to the ecosystem, but when there is still no change in mid 2015 i'm going to step off the WP boat and move on.

Curious what apps you want that are not on WP? I have an iPhone an a WP and have the exact same apps on both phones. I do have a WP exclusive game on my WP

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

That just isn't true. I have an iPhone 6, a Nexus 5, and a 2014 Moto X, and the iPhone is EASILY the buggiest of the bunch. Android has come a long way and is quantifiably more stable than iOS. I have had more issues with my iPhone in the couple months that I've owned it than I have had with my Nexus 5 in the YEAR that I've owned it. Studies have shown that apps crash more on iOS than any other mobile OS. Not to mention issues with wifi and Bluetooth. Also, as far as fluidity of the OS is concerned, the Moto X is actually smoother than the iPhone when navigating the OS, and the N5 is just about as smooth. There are some apps that are still smoother on iOS, facebook being the biggest one, but in general Android is right up there with iOS now. You just gotta make sure you buy the right handset. And by the right handset I mean not Samsung phones. High end Motorolas, HTCs, and Sonys will give you the best Android experience.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
re: Switching platforms|Thinking of leaving...comment here!

Here's my story:

I tried switching from windows phone for an iPhone and honestly it wasn't bad. I didn't need a crap ton of apps but what made me happy was that the notifications worked. Just work. Half my windows phone notifications do not work even if they are meant to push. However I did back to the windows phone side a couple of days later.

It's a beautiful os and I wish that Nokia could have brought windows phone and made it their os and continued on with Lumia. Get rid of the OEMs and make it Lumia only as I already have the best hardware but the software still feels like a work in progress in various places after four years.

That said I still find Android awful and while I enjoyed my iPhone experience enough to enjoy it as a viable alternative, there are various things about the os I dislike. So I will stick with wo does phone. I just really want a new device and I'm bored lol.

Typed on my Pikachu lumia 1520( aka the best phone) via tapatalk

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Although yesterday was the first time that I felt a bit out of place and like a foreigner. My friends and I were trying to do a group message thing. I have Lumia and they have iPhones and only one of them got my msg and I didn't get the others.

I felt a little odd but then I remembered.....TELEGRAM messenger and WHATSAPP :) so we were good to go.
Typed on my Pikachu lumia 1520( aka the best phone) via tapatalk

anon(7937399)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

I don't think I will switch platforms. Before Verizon and Microsoft delivered Denim/WP 8.1.1 to my 928, my screen was freezing up to the last DP update. Now, it doesn't freeze very much at all. Happy with my phone.

Edit: Interesting to hear that iPhone OS doesn't always just work, like it did. Was trending to iOS; don't like Android (uninstallable apps, mainly).

Glad I don't have to make that choice.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I don't think I will switch platforms. Before Verizon and Microsoft delivered Denim/WP 8.1.1 to my 928, my screen was freezing up to the last DP update. Now, it doesn't freeze very much at all. Happy with my phone.

Edit: Interesting to hear that iPhone OS doesn't always just work, like it did. Was trending to iOS; don't like Android (uninstallable apps, mainly).

Glad I don't have to make that choice.
Don't get me wrong it does more or less just work. Save a few things here or there that were buggy but my notifications always worked the way they should.
I think the above dsituation is a windows phone thing with the group message.

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

My smartphone experience consists of BlackBerry for 7 years and now Android for the past 2 years. I just got a Surface Pro 3 and have been thinking of moving over to Windows Phone when my current contract is up in February. Since I use a Windows PC at work and now have the SP3 it seems the logical next step.

Android hardware keeps getting more powerful, looking over Windows phones they don't seem to match up.

1) Do Windows phones need the same amount of ram like Android?

2) Currently which is the best device on AT&T?

3) Where can I go to see if my everyday apps are on the WP platform?

4) If anyone here was on Android - what are the pros & cons of WP?

Thank you in advance for your input.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

I'm not thinking of switching (at least not in the immediate future), but I am a bit disgruntled with WP. First of all, the app gap exists in my country. No banking apps, no food chain apps or any type of venue for that matter. And when they do exist, support is sparse when and if there is any. I know this isn't Microsoft's fault, but it does limit my experience with my WP.

Then there's the notification centre. It's just too archaic. Much like one would expect WP7 to come with Copy&Paste on release being that at the time such a feature had become quite the standard but instead came in an update, the Notification Centre feels rushed, doesn't work properly with some apps (FB being one of them) and is very limited compared to it's counterparts... And one would expect it to work properly on the first instalment being that it had been a standard on other platforms for a long while and MS had time to learn to do it decently.

Something insignificant to mention is the tiles. I like them, but they get a bit old now and then. I sometimes feel that WP is a little too monochromatic and that there's too much black or white going on and the fact that all the tiles are becoming transparent, even their colours are getting lost. But that's the least because I stop worrying about that quickly and end up enjoying the tiles again.

But my biggest gripe is the Multitasking UI. Simply put, no multitasking UI should need a long press to be accessed. Takes too long and is irritating when you do it several times in a few minutes.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

It's kind of like the iPhone. The iPhone lacks the specs of Android in a lot of area yet the experience using an iPhone as far as performance goes is far better.

Android does need those high end specs simply because(at least in the early days) running android on 1 GB ram and dual core or even Quad Core was an awful experience.

WIndows phone at 512 MB and Quad Core Processor runs very smooth. It may not be as fast as say a high end Lumia but it is not dog slow either. I have a High End Windows phone(Quad Core Processor......2 GB ram.) and the only major downside is not the performance of the phone. it's just the camera. I love that more or less, I can get the same experience on a windows phone and not feel 100 percent I am cheapening out.

However, the only complaint about buying a phone with lesser ram(example: 512 mb) is that not all apps work for it. But 95 percent of the apps will. It's usually games most of the time..

1. So no they don't need the same amount of ram.....

2. Lumia phones of course :p
If you don't need all the bells & whistles and just want a decent phone at a decent prize, get the Lumia 635.

- If you want a nice phone that is still rather inexpensive but more high end, get the Lumia 830.

-If you want the best Camera that no phone presently has yet to beat, Lumia 1020

-If you want a Phablet device....Get the Lumia 1520

There is also the HTC One M8 windows, an android phone originally that now has become a windows phone as well. It's a good device, I just don't recommend HTC devices to anyone UNLESS you simply don't like Lumia(most people like Lumia so it is invalid). it's not a bad device, Lumia is just more reputable in Windows Phone land and Respected.

I recommend the Lumia 830 :D It's the newest phone.

3. To search apps
Featured apps | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

4. I haven't used Android in a little while but I love the fact that the OS is smooth for me and it works perfectly for me with Microsoft services :)

Cortana is better than google now imo, I like here maps and I love Lumia apps and cameras which are better than Android Cameras(Sony might be a good alternative in android world).

My smartphone experience consists of BlackBerry for 7 years and now Android for the past 2 years. I just got a Surface Pro 3 and have been thinking of moving over to Windows Phone when my current contract is up in February. Since I use a Windows PC at work and now have the SP3 it seems the logical next step.

Android hardware keeps getting more powerful, looking over Windows phones they don't seem to match up.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I feel the same way about the tiles from time to time....But then I remember I hated widgets and Static icons of Android.

I tried switching to IOS recently and the first thing I noticed was "It's not animated. I miss my tiles!"

I just wish they were live. Battery Life be damned. It's more like "Delayed Live tiles" as they don't always instantly update unless they are a few apps(mainly 1st party)
I'm not thinking of switching (at least not in the immediate future), but I am a bit disgruntled with WP. First of all, the app gap exists in my country. No banking apps, no food chain apps or any type of venue for that matter. And when they do exist, support is sparse when and if there is any. I know this isn't Microsoft's fault, but it does limit my experience with my WP.

Then there's the notification centre. It's just too archaic. Much like one would expect WP7 to come with Copy&Paste on release being that at the time such a feature had become quite the standard but instead came in an update, the Notification Centre feels rushed, doesn't work properly with some apps (FB being one of them) and is very limited compared to it's counterparts... And one would expect it to work properly on the first instalment being that it had been a standard on other platforms for a long while and MS had time to learn to do it decently.

Something insignificant to mention is the tiles. I like them, but they get a bit old now and then. I sometimes feel that WP is a little too monochromatic and that there's too much black or white going on and the fact that all the tiles are becoming transparent, even their colours are getting lost. But that's the least because I stop worrying about that quickly and end up enjoying the tiles again.

But my biggest gripe is the Multitasking UI. Simply put, no multitasking UI should need a long press to be accessed. Takes too long and is irritating when you do it several times in a few minutes.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Compared with Android, the main differences are app selection and smartphone selection, Android bests Windows Phone in both categories. If you are sold on Microsoft's services, they currently are better offered on Android than on WP8.1. Otherwise, Windows Phones is a stellar OS. I can get more important information from my device with fewer touches and swipes than an Android or iOS device.

The only WP devices to buy now are the Lumia 930/Icon, Lumia 1520, and HTC M8. Everything else has low specs or is just plain old. The camera in the 1020 is awesome, but the phone is slow compared with something like the Icon or 1520.

Windows Phones works well with at least a gig of ram, but more is better.

One thing to consider when buying one of the 5 inch plus devices, is that the ie11 user agent will not allow you to see the desktop version of many websites. I have a 1520, and more and more websites' mobile version doesn't play well with ie11 and there is no option to see the desktop version, as the UA still announces my device as a smartphone with a low resolution.

Unless you are smitten with a particular windows phone device, I cannot in good conscience recommend you invest in any windows phone besides its Lumia 635, or a used model for cheap. Windows 10 is the future, and until Microsoft shares ita vision of it in the mobile realm, I would wait before I pulling the trigger on a new device.

sip1995

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Goodbye Nokia and Windows Phone

This will be my last week with my Nokia Lumia 920, cuz I'm switching to HTC One M7 (I found on a great offer)... This year was amazing and now I want to try something else. You never know, maybe I'll be back one day hope the Windows 8 launcher on the HTC will make it look the same, but unfortunately it won't be the same....Bye bye Windows Central and Folks.

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

I started with the Nokia before it was making phones with windows. Almost all my phones before that were Nokia's because I loved them and great quality. My first smartphone was also a Nokia but after a year I switched to the Samsung Galaxy S that I used for 2 years. I switched to the Samsung ativ s after that because I started to hate the problems with android. No support after 2 years and updates make that some apps didn't work. also in that time you needed a credit cart to buy apps and I had no credit cart. I tried the iPhone but I am think one of the few people that didn't like it. It was hard to find my apps between all those icons so after 3 weeks I gave the phone back and kept using my ativ s with wp 8 that I found limited.
I kept looking ad android but not for the apps because the apps I use are there for wp and do what I want. I upgraded my ativ s with the developer preview of wp 8.1 and that made that is started to love my phone more. I was still missing some things and than I found a cheap Nokia Lumia 1020. someone I now had one that he never used and it was still in the box. he got a phone from his work so I could buy it for a very nice price from him. I discovered here maps and here drive, fell in love with the camera, added a wireless charging back plate and bought the wireless charging dock. The screen of the 1020 is a bit smaller and it is missing the micro SD but it has double it's space and double it's ram plus a fantastic camera.
I don't want an android phone any more especially after that I made a phone with android ready for someone. After 3 widgets I found that it went slower. Also adding a contact, changing settings that were well hidden and in a very messy menu made that I started to hate it more than I did already. Not only that, also finding apps back is hard. With my windows phone it is on alphabet and the search bar for apps is on the top and surging for apps is for me easier. Yes you can do it also with Android but it feels not that so smooth.
I don't miss the apps and as companies have no apps for wp and they have it for android and ios, I don't get there products. I also let them now why I don't get there service or products.
I love the live tiles and how easy wp 8.1 works. I wait now for the new update so I can make folders from my tiles. Yes I want some improvements in wp but I don't switch to an other platform. ios way to expensive and a screen full of icons (something were Apple always bashed Windows for and now they copied it them self). Android way to messy interface, need a high-end phone to let it run smooth.

rbiowa

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I give up...

I'm a fan off Windows Phone... unfortunately, it's time for me to give up. I have a Nokia 822. I reactivate it every now and then to check for updates and finally found the Denim update last night. All went perfect on the OS update and 46 app updates. I can say, I'm impressed with the improvements and Cortana. I'm a phone junkie... in 2014 I owned 2 iPhone 5s's, HTC one (M7), HTC One (M8), Moto X and iPhone 6. I tell anyone who asks that I prefer Windows Phone. That will probably still be true but the app development just isn't there. I cannot conveniently, manage my life without the apps I use almost everyday...

Concur (the WP app is a joke compared to iOS and Android versions), U.S. Bank, Lowe's Iris, Sonos (Phonos is okay but is lacking), Pointstreak and myLincoln Mobile.

I have a Surface Pro 3 which I really like for work, but depend on my iPhone for my 'go to' device. I'll check in from time to time... I wish you all the best!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: I give up...

The app gap becomes smaller but if you need an essential one for you and it is not on WP i totally understand you. Please keep checking in ones a while.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: I give up...

I think u will see a large chuck of apps being launched on and around the time WP10 launch. So you shld keep an eye out on ur required apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa