Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dysje

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows phone was a refreshing change, but not enough

Have fun with your iphone. Remember it is about two to six time more expensive than windows phone devices with similar specs.

IPhones ain't bad, just not worth the insane price.

I choose the glory of having a cheap plan with a new windoze phone every year over a horribly limited iPhone that I can only refresh every two years for four times the monthly fee of my WP device.

Now enjoy your purchase, cause you better... At that price. Hope you don't miss the huge list of cool stuff your Lumia offered. Too bad you usually learn about that when it's already too late.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Btw, you probably left at worst time, just now when we are so near W10

We're near a W10 announcement, not W10. We probably won't see anything official until fall, 8 or 9 months from now, give or take. Microsoft usually releases new versions of Windows in October. Then allow time for bugs to be squashed. I would say that now is a good time to leave, and then revisit the situation in a year or so.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
re: Switching platforms|Thinking of leaving...comment here!

Well, that's not bad option if you are able to. Best wishes.
Sent from my Ativ S

Paul Lindqvist

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I get the app support, but lack of stable mail app? One built is not stable? I disagree, a lot.

outlook is fine if your okay with the having all mail in one inbox, or having a separate tile for each mail account. I'm certainly NOT. It also does not support push mail for iCloud which is a deal breaker.

Metromail app do support push mail, also allow you to have a better UI for several accounts. It's however extremely slow, and it often crashes when you receive attachments in a mail. I have to wait for a "preview" to load...

Maestro showed a lot of promise, still it lacks ALOT of support for different mail accounts.

Btw, you probably left at worst time, just now when we are so near W10, but hey, you should do what makes you happy. Maybe I would also have a iPhone if I had 700 bucks for it.
Well near would be a exaggerating, it doesn't change anything though.

700$ is a lot, but it's all relative. In terms of what i get it's not much at all in my eyes.

At least you gave it a shot and actually tried it. I agree it is different which is what drew me to the platform initially. I came from Android in 2012. By the way what mail apps did you try?

Yes and I'm glad i did, my kids will still run WP phones.

I used the Metromail app which is the best out of the ones i tested. Most importantly it supported "push" mail with iCloud mail.

Have fun with your iphoney. Remember it is about two to six time more expensive than windows phone devices with similar specs.

Well it's not about having "fun" with it.. It's about having a phone that will serve me well in terms of accessibility, app support for my work.

IPhones ain't bad, just not worth the insane price.

Well if it's worth the price is very subjective. For me it's well worth it, changing to Lumia 930 was never about saving money. My contract was up and it thought i switch it up a little. I was set on getting the Iphone 6 successor, but for the reason mentioned i couldn't hold out that long.

I choose the glory of having a cheap plan with a new windoze phone every year over a horribly limited iPhone that I can only refresh every two years for four times the monthly fee of my WP device.
That's dandy for you. I'm sure you can reuse you'r toilet paper as well, if you really want to save that extra buck.

Now enjoy your purchase, cause you better... At that price. Hope you don't miss the huge list of cool stuff your Lumia offered. Too bad you usually learn about that when it's already too late.

Yes i enjoy it, it's nice to have all my work apps at my fingertips without having to resort to carrying my ipads or my MacBooks.

Sorry there is no huge list, as i said the WP/Lumia 930 was never better and necessarily not always worse (in my case it was though on some accounts that mattered to much) it often just different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

We're near a W10 announcement, not W10. We probably won't see anything official until fall, 8 or 9 months from now, give or take. Microsoft usually releases new versions of Windows in October. Then allow time for bugs to be squashed. I would say that now is a good time to leave, and then revisit the situation in a year or so.
There's no point in leaving and investing money into another platform then switch back. You may as well just stick it out with windows phone until 10 and if it isn't on par THEN switch. One time no need for multiple switches. That shows you aren't capable of making consistent choices

dysje

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

outlook is fine if your okay with the having all mail in one inbox, or having a separate tile for each mail account. I'm certainly NOT. It also does not support push mail for iCloud which is a deal breaker.

Sorry there is no huge list, as i said the WP/Lumia 930 was never better and necessarily not always worse (in my case it was though on some accounts that mattered to much) it often just different.
For the first one: you really don't know you can make custom mailboxes with the default mail app combining any mailbox you choose? Like how I've combined my work and private mailboxes in two separate tiles, where one tile houses 3 e-mail accounts and the other 2? I think you may have overlooked a LOT of stuff on WP for some reason... Maybe the simplest and smartest OS out there is still too complex and smart for you?

I am very confident you should stick with an iphone. It clearly works for you and I don't understand why you would even bother to look for something else or even reply here.

Now for the rest; yes, there is a long list of features iphones don't have. Out of all phones iphones are by FAR the most limited, but that isn't just their weakness. It's also their strength. Simple people have nothing to get confused about, making the device perfect for people that like to waste a LOT of money on a device that suits their simple needs.

But, back to the list... You'd be surprised by many on this list, most people won't be. It is based on a comparison between the 930 and iphone6 (not plus). Should be iphone 5s because the 930 came out around the same time as the 5s. Anyway.

1. Clearblack filter
2. Higher screen brightness
3. better screen contrast
4. polarisation filter/sunlight readability enhancements (they work, really (http://www.winbeta.org/sites/default/files/Capture_2.JPG)
5. HAAC microphones
6. optical image stabilization (6 plus has it, Lumia 830 has it...)
7. bigger battery on the Lumia (2420mah vs 1810mah) depending on use the Lumia can have similar or more than double battery life of an iphone6.
8. more megapixels on camera, mostly creates more detail in pictures, means you can crop more
9. better images in low light
10. higher screen resolution (better dpi/ppi) (close to 720p vs 1080p)
11. better management of background and more background api's
12. camera button (yes for me that's an important feature)
13. better front camera's (well besides the 830 that is)
14. wireless charging
15. better phone backup management (even saves tile status and in-app data like whatsapp history to cloud)
16. better and safer cloud integration with more custom options for uploading
17. better facebook/vk integration
18. more open api's and more accessible hardware (you can't get a torrent client on your iphone or a file explorer)
19. Windows phones have longer and guaranteed updates (hello win10) and get faster per update. You try to run the latest iOS on an iphone4...
20. Better security. You can't get data from a windows phone, unless you physically remove the flash chips, and even then you can't access most of the data, because it's encrypted. There's no way around the lockscreen, at all. An iphone, even the latest version, takes 12 seconds to crack. Remember, the jailbreaks are only possible due to BIG security holes that have never been patched. There hasn't been a single dangerous security flaw in Windows Phone in the last 4 years. There are about 10 every month for iOS. The fingerprintreader can be 'hacked' by a 12 year old with a piece of gum.
21. Supersensitive touch on your screen. No need for special gloves and I can play fruit slice with an actual knife.
22. Screen on WP's is thicker and more solid than on an iphone, which means it won't break as easily by far. If you even look at an iphone sideways it'll crack. Fortunately the screens apple uses are the cheaper kind, which means replacing is often really cheap. Like for most components apple uses actually.
23. cell phone reception on iphones has (as proven by many tests) always been close to the worst in the industry. I had to migrate a business from iphones to other devices once because they were in a place where iphones couldn't get reliable reception and most other devices could.
24. The Lumia 930 has twice the ram of the iphone6. The Lumia 535 has the same amount as the iphone 6 (plus)
25. FM Radio (yes... important in some places!)
26. Glance (ok not on the 930, I give you that)
27. double-tap to wake
28. Gestures app (works great)
29. FOUR microphones on the 930 and 830
30. Dolby digital recording (that actually works)
31. thinner bezel on most Lumia's (means more compact device but bigger screen)
32. Lossless zoom
33. All new Lumia's (930 omg... why you dont, I will never forgive) have SD card options.
34. The Lumia 930 32GB is EXACTLY half the price of an iphone6 32GB in most places on the planet. Hello.. not just a little cheaper, but HALF. You can get two Lumia 930's here, TWO, for the price of one iphone. That's not a small difference.
35. Better call quality for the Lumia by a large margin. Mostly due to higher quality internal components and better network reception because of that. Same thing goes for audio recording.
36. higher quality video recording. Sure, less fps, i'll give you that.
37. This one's a bit weird but basically the Lumia has a quadcore and the iphone a dual core. This means background tasks and multithreading is a lot faster on a Lumia while whatever you currently do works faster on an iphone. Having worked with a Lumia and an iphone extensively... I prefer the quadcore for many reasons. Mostly because the kernel of WP8.1 is so incredibly well optimized for multithreading.
38. Sensorcore! I love it!
39. NFC that's open to every app.
40. DLNA support
41. USB PORT! Every charger works! Every USB port works. And it works without added software on any system (even Linux!)
42. Much better scratch resistant screen on the Lumia due to gorilla glass. There's just a cheap, thin layer of almost unhardened glass, even on the iphone6... That's not good.
43. You still can't natively record 4k video on an iphone6.
44. Native apps for Lumia, like Here Drive+ and the likes. Free worldwide offline nav, is now also for Android. Not for iOS. Lumia Refocus and apps like that are also missing from iphones.
45. Free office... Well, there is an office on iOS. Just you need to pay moneyz for it.
46. WP 8.1 Rooms feature ( I can't live without it...)
47. 15GB (or more) free OneDrive storage. iCloud is more limited, by a long while.
48. Dolby audio playback
49. equalizer built-in!
50. flip to silence
51. audio normalization
52. global screen settings (color balance/temperature) built-in
53. more extensive notification and ringtone options
54. ability to turn on/off haptic feedback for hardware buttons and software buttons seperately
55. Screen zoom feature (double tap with two fingers to zoom entire screen in any app, anywhere, anytime)
56. built-in support for special cases (like on Android, think of HTC Dot-view case)
57. Miracast support by default
58. Install apps on an SD card... Oh yes!
59. App corner/kid's corner
60. Lockscreen apps
61. Wifi-sense
62. Battery-sense
63. Data sense (including compression!)
64. Word flow keyboard (really, still, to this day, years ahead of any iOS offering)
65. More accessiblity options (high contrast etc.)
66. On Lumia's call/sms filter (impossible on iphone, unless you jailbreak)
67. Device hub, find where I left my car (well, and other bluetooth devices!)
68. Store pin code possible to apply. Means no more unwanted in app purchases when some kid runs away with your phone. Yay for that.
69. Family management. I can disable/enable app/in-app purchasing remotely for my childs Lumia. I can limit what kind of apps the kid can download too and a few more features.
70. Cortana owns Siri in every way. Siri uses Bing as backend, just like Cortana does. Funny.
71. Oh guess I'm not done yet! How about Live-tiles, creating a more informative overview of .. everything, without resorting to open apps. Like seeing the weather for as many places as I want in one view and seeing any other notification or news or anything I care for just like that. No opening apps for things I only want a quick glimpse of. Oh how I love that so much.
72. Combining mailboxes! I love that. I can combine inboxes in any way I want with a nice tile with it. Makes business+pleasure much easily to manage.
73. Eh, this is a weird one and personal one, but I love how Windows Phone has the ONLY 4chan app out there with native (and perfect) webm playback. Not even Android has this. I'm not going to say what I need that for.... but just it's important to me ;)
74. Oh and all the apps that allow me to just play mkv's and whatever else is out there. Much nicer. Yes you can have apps that play mkv on an iphone, but it's a disaster getting the mkv's on it in the first place. Basically it's a complex endeavor. Where I can just torrent an mkv on my WP and just play it right there. Of course only the legal kind .. obviously.
75. Eh, yea WP makes you cooler, unique and people talk to you to ask about it. I dislike that personally, but some people like it as it makes them feel important or wanted. Seeing as I'm the opposite of that... Then again, what I mean to say is; people buy an iphone to try and be cool. Funny how it works the opposite there. A Lumia makes you stand out more.

Sure, the iphone is thinner, has more fps for the camera aaaaaaaand... that's about it. Sure, you could say you prefer the aluminum body, but polycarbonate has it's own benefits (like much harder to scratch) and the Lumia still has a nice aluminum frame, which puts them close together again. And don't come at me with the 64bit nonsense. So far nobody's been able to prove how it helps an iphone in any way be faster or more useful. It's a gimmick that only helps devices that have a total memory (GPU/RAM) of over 4GB. Iphone has shared 1GB of memory... Seeing as 64bit potentially uses a little more memory, that's just plain stupid.

I admit, the list is indeed not "huge". Some of them may be up to personal preference too even. Maybe you were right all along. But seeing as you somehow managed to state you use your phone as toilet paper, I'm just glad I'm not anywhere near you. Good thing it bends though, makes it more useful for what you seem to use your phones for.

Paul Lindqvist

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

For the first one: you really don't know you can make custom mailboxes with the default mail app combining any mailbox you choose? Like how I've combined my work and private mailboxes in two separate tiles, where one tile houses 3 e-mail accounts and the other 2? I think you may have overlooked a LOT of stuff on WP for some reason... Maybe the simplest and smartest OS out there is still too complex and smart for you?

I don't want to combine my mail accounts, i want separat inboxes and one icon to access them all. Doesn't matter how you slice it, i can't stand outlook, and even i could set it up as i would like, the lack for support for push on iCloud accounts still makes it useless as i get a error every time i tries to sync my iCloud account.

Yea it's to smart and complex, to the fact it doesn't have a simple timer that works in the background behind a locked screen.

Identifying with the choice of mobile os is as hilarious as it's stupid as you prove.

I am very confident you should stick with an iphone. It clearly works for you and I don't understand why you would even bother to look for something else or even reply here.

Cute attitude, i tried out WP plattform because i was impressed by the OS,especially how well i ran on a budget phone like the 630 which i got first for my daughter.

It's a forum, where people post answers and reply..

Now for the rest; yes, there is a long list of features iphones don't have. Out of all phones iphones are by FAR the most limited, but that isn't just their weakness. It's also their strength. Simple people have nothing to get confused about, making the device perfect for people that like to waste a LOT of money on a device that suits their simple needs.

Passing of your opinion of humans and their choices as facts is a treat of true keyboard warrior.

But, back to the list... You'd be surprised by many on this list, most people won't be. It is based on a comparison between the 930 and iphone6 (not plus). Should be iphone 5s because the 930 came out around the same time as the 5s. Anyway.

You'r so eager to defend, to the point you got simple facts wrong.

I still have the 930 and have done direct comparison with my Iphone 6 Plus. Which is what i compare naturally regardless what you think is "correct" or not.

The screen on the Iphone 6 is a lot brighter, i mean there is no comparison. I used 1 degree spot meter from 10cm to compare displaying a pure white image.

The color accuracy is far better on the Iphone as excepted , no surprise though considering the 930's debacle with tinted screens and bleeding. But even with the 930 adjusted manually it simply can't match.

The camera on the Lumia 930 does not match the Iphone 6 plus by a long shot, not in image quality, pixels density of tiny sensors means nothing.

The room to crop is useless if you don't a good quality to begin with...

But maybe the Lumia 930's camera eluded a thick bloke like me ? I mean my profession is only film and photography..

In the end we use whatever works for us, and a forum such as this is a place to express both good and bad experiences.

My experiences with WP/Lumia 930 is far from only bad ones.

Enjoy your phone and you list! :)

dysje

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

Everything can run behind a lockscreen on WP. It's been a feature since WP7.1 even and improved since then.

Anyway, comparing an iphone6 plus that's triple the price of a Lumia 930... you would expect some concessions. I don't see any concessions, I only see some personal opinions about the screen. The funniest part is that you with your "profession" may have misunderstood a few things: Apple?s iPhone 6 Plus & iPad Air 2 lose out to Samsung & Surface in detailed color accuracy analysis | 9to5Mac (and this is an Apple fanpage for crying out loud!)

Basically iphone6plus has one of the worst color accuracies in the market of current expensive devices. I dare say... you may want to re-evaluate your profession? It also explains why you don't seem to figure out that a raw/DNG image of 20mp vs a jpeg of 8mp is a huge benefit for the 930. Besides I'd pick the brilliant full HD OLED display over the iphone6's display any day anyway. But that's just me. Some people prefer ips.

The iphone6 camera isn't bad, but I do miss sharpness and details compared to the 930. Especially with Denim and especially using the raw images. Sure, for quick shots the iphone6 is fine, but there are benefits to the tech behind the 930. You may seem this as an attack on your precious iphone, it's just stating a few basic points from my end.

And sure, the Lumia has had issues with it's screen. That mostly been fixed or could easily be replaced. Like every device has issues. Like ehm.. does it bend? And iphones have a few more issues, just like any device. Just like any Lumia. That's not what makes one device superior over another these days.

And you may not like the quality of the full 20mp shots, that's fine. But most people do and most reviews disagree with you as well. Maybe you had a flawed 930, maybe you just pushed all the wrong buttons. But seeing as you think the iphone6plus has good color accuracy for it's screen when even the fansites for Apple say otherwise... kind of makes a whole different reason painfully obvious. There's also the fact that camera's seems to be very personal. As proven by this: Nexus 6 beats the iPhone 6 Plus by a mile in our blind camera comparison I mean the thing loses to a Nexus 6, makes sense with the extra pixels from the Nexus though, but still.

You are right I got the facts wrong about the release dates though! The Lumia falls right between the release of the 5s and the 6. Didn't realize the 5s was so old already. Actually a year between the 5s and the 6, forgot apple took so long between launches.

In the end we all use what works for one. Exactly, but coming to a forum like this claiming the iphone is so superior and lacks no features vs a Lumia is not just a little weird, but it's definitely also asking for a reply. Which you got. If those features are meaningless to you, that's fine. But your statement was in general. Hence a general reply.

Paul Lindqvist

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Basically iphone6plus has one of the worst color accuracies in the market of current expensive devices. I dare say... you may want to re-evaluate your profession? It also explains why you don't seem to figure out that a raw/DNG image of 20mp vs a jpeg of 8mp is a huge benefit for the 930. Besides I'd pick the brilliant full HD OLED display over the iphone6's display any day anyway. But that's just me. Some people prefer ips.

You like to run your mouth a lot and the above statement proves your as clueless as the next guy when it comes to color reproduction and how sensor size and pixel density affect IQ.

Keep fighting KB!

Take care!

Last edited:

dysje

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

You like to run your mouth a lot and the above statement proves your as clueless as the next guy when it comes to color reproduction and how sensor size and pixel density affect IQ.

Keep fighting KB!

Take care!

You are on a discussion forums, you post on a discussion forums in a thread and people (me in this case) reply to you, as a discussion should be.

So what's with the attitude? If you don't want to get replies, don't post on any forums.

Both blind tests and tests done by apple fanboys prove that color reproduction is bad and that the bigger pixels on the iPhone are not enough to make the images of sufficient quality to beat most modern smartphones with sensors with more pixels.

Now if you personally don't see it that way, that's fine. But insulting someone for pointing that out is a little odd to say the least. Especially bragging about being a professional and then making such a blunder right there.

Enjoy your opinion, but when you put it on an online discussion forums, accept that people will respond to it. And please, for the love of everything, stay with your iPhone, go enjoy it. WP isn't made for you and you are better off among other iPhone users. How about you take a look at the other mobile nations websites? One of them is all about iPhones!

On a sidenote, this thread is all about people switching platforms. A good discussion and important one too. While you are clear about why you switched, let others like me enjoy the same freedom to explain why we don't switch. Without calling them 'keyboard warriors'. That's so utter hypocritical that it is becoming a joke.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Frustration with MS and no Newer Lumia Flagships

Gonna' rant and whine here in the "off topic" area.

Back in November I got the M8 for Windows. My wife just ditched her Galaxy for an iPhone (she's always bashed Apple and iPhone users but figured she'd either try it and like it or have reasons to keep bashing it) and daughter just got an xperia Z3. It's really given me an urge to switch to something new.

I know I should be happy with my M8, but I find the screen average and the photos passable at best. I think my 925 took better pictures. I'm on the original T-Mobile Jump! program where I can jump 2x within one year of when I signed up, and only jumped once and I have a few days left before it resets. Perfect time to jump because I could literally jump again in a week (according to my wife who remembers the details of the plan) if I wanted to and definitely could in the late summer/early fall when the new Windows 10 phones are out...if T-Mobile gets one. But I can't bring myself to do it for a few reasons:

• I'll miss my xbox music pass. Sure, I could get the app on Android or iOS, but the iOS ratings aren't all that great. Android's a little better.
  • I'll really miss Cortana. Siri and Google Now don't stack up.
  • I'm sure I could find as good or better replacement apps and I don't have a ton of them that I've paid for, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to buy new ones, but it's a huge pain to set up a new phone.
  • If I go with iOS I don't want to have to manage my music through iTunes.

What really pisses me off about the whole deal is that come "later this year" I may or may not have a chance to get a flagship phone because who knows WTF T-Mobile will do. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I wish we here in the US were more like Europe (in regard to carriers): more standard so you can switch when you want. Instead we have all these carriers with different bands. Ticks me off.

And, of course, with two new phones on T-Mobile, if we left for AT&T that'd be a LOT of equipment to pay off. Probably couldn't sell them for enough to pay what we owe.

So damn frustrating being a WP fan. I believe it's the best platform out there but it can't gain traction. And I honestly don't see Windows 10 changing it much. I think MS has to stick with it for the long haul because they can't afford to be without a phone, but it just sucks.

I know, I know, first world problems, right? But it's the off topic forum, I'm aggravated as hell and just wanted to vent.

If you've read this far, thank you, and you must be bored. Anyone got advice?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Frustration with MS and no Newer Lumia Flagships

I am not quite understanding you. Are you frustrated because T-Mobile US does not carry any high-end WPs or because MS hasn't released any high-end Lumia?

Edit: I have no idea whats going on. I thought I replied to a comment in the off-topic thread, looks like the comment I was replying to (above) and mine are now posted in a different thread lol

Last edited:

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

I am not quite understanding you. Are you frustrated because T-Mobile US does not carry any high-end WPs or because MS hasn't released any high-end Lumia?

Both - T-Mobile doesn't carry a high-end and MS hasn't released a new one in way too long. And I fully expect T-Mobile to not carry a high-end one when MS finally releases one.

Edit: I have no idea whats going on. I thought I replied to a comment in the off-topic thread, looks like the comment I was replying to (above) and mine are now posted in a different thread lol

It's not you - my post got moved from "off-topic" to this thread. Didn't even know this thread existed or I would have posted here to begin with.

P_1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
After reading all the previous comments and conversation, I seriously feel that we all live and adore windows phone and is UI. The only thing that is holding us back is app gap, quality of app and the updates. Infact those who have left windows phone is due to apps and not because of the OS. I'm also using Lumia 920 and sometimes I seriously feel the urge to switch back to android but I hold myself back to wait and watch. And I know that windows 10 won't release until end of the year. I feel jealous about the app quality that Android users get and also the apps that will ever come to WP. I know that android lags alot but if you go the stock android that is purest experience of android without any lags and hassle free. Lets wait and then we decide further course of action.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I just got a note 3. For the time being I am going back to Android after being on WP for 2+ yrs. I'll still have my 920 so I'll just swap back and forth between the two. I keep switching back between Windows and Android. I will continue to monitor Windows and do hope they get the proper recognition as it is a very good OS imo.

dysje

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

Gonna' rant and whine here in the "off topic" area.

Back in November I got the M8 for Windows. My wife just ditched her Galaxy for an iPhone (she's always bashed Apple and iPhone users but figured she'd either try it and like it or have reasons to keep bashing it) and daughter just got an xperia Z3. It's really given me an urge to switch to something new.

I know I should be happy with my M8, but I find the screen average and the photos passable at best. I think my 925 took better pictures. I'm on the original T-Mobile Jump! program where I can jump 2x within one year of when I signed up, and only jumped once and I have a few days left before it resets. Perfect time to jump because I could literally jump again in a week (according to my wife who remembers the details of the plan) if I wanted to and definitely could in the late summer/early fall when the new Windows 10 phones are out...if T-Mobile gets one. But I can't bring myself to do it for a few reasons:

• I'll miss my xbox music pass. Sure, I could get the app on Android or iOS, but the iOS ratings aren't all that great. Android's a little better.
  • I'll really miss Cortana. Siri and Google Now don't stack up.
  • I'm sure I could find as good or better replacement apps and I don't have a ton of them that I've paid for, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to buy new ones, but it's a huge pain to set up a new phone.
  • If I go with iOS I don't want to have to manage my music through iTunes.

What really pisses me off about the whole deal is that come "later this year" I may or may not have a chance to get a flagship phone because who knows WTF T-Mobile will do. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I wish we here in the US were more like Europe (in regard to carriers): more standard so you can switch when you want. Instead we have all these carriers with different bands. Ticks me off.

And, of course, with two new phones on T-Mobile, if we left for AT&T that'd be a LOT of equipment to pay off. Probably couldn't sell them for enough to pay what we owe.

So damn frustrating being a WP fan. I believe it's the best platform out there but it can't gain traction. And I honestly don't see Windows 10 changing it much. I think MS has to stick with it for the long haul because they can't afford to be without a phone, but it just sucks.

I know, I know, first world problems, right? But it's the off topic forum, I'm aggravated as hell and just wanted to vent.

If you've read this far, thank you, and you must be bored. Anyone got advice?

Seriously, the HTC M8 has the worst camera of any high-end phone and even the Lumia 720/730/735 camera has proven to be better in many tests. This is not news and it's a warning you will find everywhere people discuss this phone. The 925 camera is WAY better in every way, by a margin that's just not funny anymore. The rest of the device is typical HTC: Looks great on paper, doesn't work well in reality.

I would say just go for a cheaper option like a Lumia 830 to wait it out. I don't get what's with everyone forcing a high-end device on themselves. At this point high-end devices have more downsides than upsides, mostly due to them getting hot and using insane amounts of power. What's against a power efficient smart chip like in a Lumia 735 that gives you two days battery and still does everything you want? You'll get Win10 on those as well anyway.

I don't know how t-mobUSA plans work, but a cheaper device could theoretically mean you pay less on your plan or have to add less money on your purchase. In Europe I know more and more people take midrange devices with a 1 year plan. Lumia 735 is really popular now, so popular even that they're sold out at many places (with some popular places going for delivery times of 1,5 months). Because you know, it wouldn't be Microsoft/Nokia if they didn't manage to fail utterly in distribution of their devices.

But you are in a difficult position at a carrier like TmobUSA. And it would be brilliant if the market would open up a little more. The reason we don't have that in Europe is due to a fair few of the things USA carriers do are illegal here, but that doesn't help you at all. And then to see that tmobUSA doesn't carry an 830/735...

Maybe worth suffering through less-than-optimal 4g at tmobUSA and be able to bring your own device? Or see if it's possible to downgrade for a shorter amount of time to a really cheap device and having it easier at switching carrier that way?

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

After reading all the previous comments and conversation, I seriously feel that we all live and adore windows phone and is UI. The only thing that is holding us back is app gap, quality of app and the updates. Infact those who have left windows phone is due to apps and not because of the OS. I'm also using Lumia 920 and sometimes I seriously feel the urge to switch back to android but I hold myself back to wait and watch. And I know that windows 10 won't release until end of the year. I feel jealous about the app quality that Android users get and also the apps that will ever come to WP. I know that android lags alot but if you go the stock android that is purest experience of android without any lags and hassle free. Lets wait and then we decide further course of action.

Actually your wrong... We all don't adore the UI of WP.

Some of us actually would prefer to be able to customize it any way we could want as we can with Android phones.

I really did like a lot with my 1520 when I had it with WP but not enough to keep it. I would like to see Microsoft allow the customers to decide on the UI not be forced to accept less. Maybe now that they are investing in CM this will change.

Going to a iPhone... Nope it isn't a reality for me. I have seen both the 6 and the 6 plus and there really isn't enough to draw me to them.

The app gap is real but with my time on WP never had really any issues finding a alternative to use. I actually found more apps and had them loaded than when I used a iPhone or even now my Android m8.

The camera on the 1520 was as good as what I have seen on any iPhone and only lacked on low light video.

I have high hopes for Windows 10 and if a few issues with the browser situation and the music player can be worked out then in all likelihood will pick up another flagship when it comes out.

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8

barryr1285

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Is it time to leave windows phone?

Hey guys, I'm feeling really mixed about windows phone now. I use and live my 920 and have patiently waiting for a new model this year, I'm thinking something above the 930 or 1520 and I would buy but from all the net reports and phones being released there's always at the low end.

Not that this bothered me, but I'm not going from a 920 to something with less spec. And everytime I look a new phones I am now more and more tempted to go android as Microsoft have forgotten all about me, I understand the cheap phone concept and new emerging markets but it feels like they've forgotten their loyal fans of the platform.

Remember those guys that bought the phone when everyone else laughed at you, the phone that still doesn't have a snap chat app nor many others compared to other operating systems.

When I look at all the apps they have just release for other platforms, I now start to think how nicer it looks than on my current phone. At moment in think a Sony expedia something I would never of considered in the past.

In short I feel as though I cant wait any long for a new Microsoft to be released and if I do buy a new phone soon it wont be Microsoft.

Is this goodbye? I hope not but if Microsoft announce 2 more low end spec phones I am afraid it will be.

I would love to hear other users thoughts and feelings on this, am I the only user feeling like this? Have you recently upgraded from the 920? Or have you already left the platform?

Thanks guys looking forward to hearing your thoughts

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: Is it time to leave windows phone?

MS are concentrating on services and low-end devices.
If you're a high-spec hardware kinda guy, you've no choice but to look elsewhere. Now and for the foreseeable future. At least you'll get better support for MS's own services if you move platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte