Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
re: Switching platforms|Thinking of leaving...comment here!

I have 206 more days and then I will be back at Apple that is where I was before, no problems with them, may upgrade the desktop but not sure. I don't know if I will get a iPad but if I do it will be the mini. Apple Pay already supports the one and only credit card I use unlike the Softcard

If you get the A/E Serve, you can link any debit card to it and not have to put any money in the Serve account. It's a workaround but it's not just limited to WP. It's a Softcard issue.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk because I feel like it.

David Ta

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

My dear, we share the same problem. I chose the solution of giving up on my 1520 to return to Apple iPhone 6. I think you must have read my comments above. I listed all of reasons why I decided to quit. In my country Vietnam, smartphones distributed legally via official retailers are totally unbranded/operator-free. Some users weren't patient enough, so they flashed the original rom to regions eligible for update like Finland, and they got the Denim. I didn't do such thing because I paid the same price for a similar device, customers in other regions received it first. What a logic!!!! I contacted Microsoft Lumia Vietnam and they replied me with stupid explanations as low internet broadband quality and operators. Vietnamese carriers only sell iPhone, how could I send them complaints????? At that time I realized how irresponsibly Microsoft has been taking care of flagship device owners. Therefore I left my 1520 for an iPhone 6 16GB after just 11 months. I'm a loyal fan of Nokia thus I had chosen 1520 in spite of my iPhone 4S still having worked well. I was so upset with Microsoft from the release of Cyan. Now I get a lot better although this choice is pretty costly. iPhone is overpriced in Vietnam and I paid 850 USD for the 16 GB version. I strongly recommend you to leave 1520, you can any device but please say NO to windows phone from this moment forth. ��

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I just spent a little over a week test driving a 6+. It's an awesome device but there are some flaws I discovered along the way. Some are a nuisance, others are fatal flaws. Syncing with iTunes sometimes causes an error wherein it gets stuck at "analyzing data" and the process needs to be aborted and restart iTunes by killing the processes through Task Manager. That's a nuisance. Auto-upload to OneDrive is set to wi-fi only but it uses data (nearly fatal). What is unforgivable is the headset jack issue. There is a long list of complaints about the crackling, static and failure to revert to the main speaker after disconnecting the factory earbuds. This might seem like a nuisance to some but it shows a clear QC failure on Apple's part. I'll be damned if I'm paying close to a yard for a problem that is even posted on Apple's support forum and nothing has been done to ameliorate the situation and their customers are left twisting in the breeze.

Something inside told me to hang on to the Green Monster (L1520) you know, just for s**ts and giggles. I've always defended Apple for the quality of their products but I feel as though some corners may have been cut and Cook needs to put someone at Foxconn to see WTF is going on. What's truly disturbing is the "oh well, it's no big deal" attitude on the Apple forums by their faithful. It's like they're getting their pockets picked and they should be grateful. Huh????

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Yes... Windows does what I want without the insecurity of Android and vendor lock in and premiums required of Apple. But I guess others have different needs.

... It really is a junk thread :)

I feel the same way. I may have to get an android for work though, my company only supports iOS and Android for our MDM BYOD solutions, no support for WP :(

erikpritchard

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site

I switched platforms and carriers. I switched from ios to WP 8 and then WP 8.1. I switched from Verizon Wireless to ATT because I wanted the Lumia 1020.

Back in October I was feeling like my 4S on the new 8.0 might soon get laggy. I like apple products but ay ay ay the cost. I had demo'd a lumia 520 back in April of 2014 and really liked it. So I sold my 4s and bought a Lumia 928.

I loved having a real flash on my smartphone, I loved wp 8 and 8.1 Since much of my motive for smartphone ownership is based on taking pictures of my kids, I started looking at the Lumia 1020. After 13 years with Verizon Wireless, I switched to ATT (Ok, really I switched MVNOs, but close enough).

WP 8.1 is a straightforward mobile OS that has never given me lag or restarts. It just works. It syncs well with email and calender. I've never been into the apps, so the smaller app store was a non-issue for me. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm in it for the camera. Having a browser and email/calender are great perks.

I was surprised to find out today that WP 8.1 can't handle a simple bluetooth keyboard. Weird.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I started with an HTC HD2 with windows mobile 6.5.x. I swtiched to windows phone on an HTC titan x310e for 4 reasons:
1. better battery life
2. better camera
3. No support of service to program store
4. Microsoft ending support for service of OS (no more updates/bug fixes)

HTC Titan x310e to Nokia lumia 1520
Reasons:

1. better battery life
2.better camera
3.Developers stopped supporting app updates for the windows 7 platform.
4. My phone would not be able to upgrade to winodws phone 8 because hardware couldn't appraently match the new software architecture (windows NT).

A bit of a shame. Both phones are still quite powerful hardware in their own right. Was especially saddend with the HTC Titan not being upgradable to winodws phone 8. It is still on par with the mid to low end lumia devices. Now its just sitting at home collecting dust. A pitty of the hard crafsmanship. It still is a beauty of a device. Wouldn't mind using it still as a back up device. Recently checked the windows phone 7 market place. Was saddend that things did seem to have dropped to a halt with app updates by developers. Many apps do work though but some are still buggy.
I tried the samsung note one after the HTC Titan for a short while. Main reason being it supported stylus and handwriting to text support. I found myself though tweaking the OS, settings and apps a lot. It distracted me from getting things done. The amount of options were amazing, but too overwhelming. Windows phone somehow had a better balance of how the OS worked. Get in, get out, get things done was a moto by microsoft I remembered back then. For me windows phone provided that experience. I was hooked and sold my Note 1.

jweihrauch

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

So...hopefully this thread isn't too old...but my friend Aaron (ajst22) has recommended that I leave BlackBerry 10 and come over to the Windows side of mobile. Windows phone is the only one I haven't tried of the 4 major players. The reason I've stuck with BlackBerry is the following:

- HUB - Unified inbox
- Notification Light
- Physical Keyboard (only BB, I know).
- Call Quality
- Quick Response via quick notifications
- Great hardware
- Screen Quality (Currently rocking the Passport).

If I opt to try Windows phone out which models on AT&T should I entertain? Would appreciate direction because I'm absolutely clueless with Windows phones.

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I was on BB for 7 years until switching to Android. The lack of apps and the downward direction BlackBerry (RIM) was heading were the 2 reasons. In my opinion the main reason BB failed was their lack of concern for individual users. They were more concerned with the corporate base and they've lost a lot of that. Now that I have a Surface Pro 3 I'm thinking of switching to Windows phone so that everything will be on the same platform. I've decided to wait until the formal release of Win10 and see what new hardware comes out. With Microsoft and Samsung settling their dispute I'm hoping Samsung will release a new high end Windows phone with Win10

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
So...hopefully this thread isn't too old...but my friend Aaron (ajst22) has recommended that I leave BlackBerry 10 and come over to the Windows side of mobile. Windows phone is the only one I haven't tried of the 4 major players. The reason I've stuck with BlackBerry is the following:

- HUB - Unified inbox
- Notification Light
- Physical Keyboard (only BB, I know).
- Call Quality
- Quick Response via quick notifications
- Great hardware
- Screen Quality (Currently rocking the Passport).

If I opt to try Windows phone out which models on AT&T should I entertain? Would appreciate direction because I'm absolutely clueless with Windows phones.
Well, it depends. Do you want to wait for a flagship or will you be happy with a midrange phone? I have a Lumia 830 on att and I'm happy with it being a midrange device. You could try a 1520. Though it is getting old, still is a rocking flagship phone. The only downside would be that right now you can't install the Windows 10 tech preview on it. I myself bought me a 635 on Amazon $49 so I could play with the preview and also to have it as a backup.

shockjay

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

There are times when I open my linked inbox and, after a few seconds of saying "Loading" then "Resuming", it kicks me back to the start screen. The only fix I have been able to find is turning off the phone then turning it back on.

Along with the battery drain, I'm about as close to moving to another phone platform as the Raiders, Rams and/or Chargers are ready to leave their respective cities for Los Angeles. I suppose being on the Verizon network doesn't help as they push all customers to either Google or the iPhone. Barring a miraculous announcement for a new Microsoft Phone from Verizon between now and May/June, I will either be switching to the Samsung Galaxy S5 or iPhone 6.

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I love windows phone but im seriously tired of being the only person that doesn't have the latest app .. Or the latest game .. Im tired of this second hand bull crap apps and im also tired of my 2 year old phone ..and im tired of the damn resuming crap when I push the start button .. Oh and the podcast app ??!! What the %%&&$$ is going on with this podcast app and why does msft make it seem so hard to make a decent podcast app .. . So Microsoft if you're reading this please stop being lame and get the apps c'mon .. And give me a bad @$$ phone already im tired of the low end stuff I need an awesome phone .. GIVE ME A FREAKIN PHONE I CAN BUY A REAL CASE FOR CMON ?? they don't even make good cases for the 1520 dude .. Its crap its all crap and you gotta fix this ... This is your last chance I give you until mwc to change my heart

warezjack

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Goodbye Nokia and Windows Phone

Now I am having second thoughts about my Lumia, I am considering Yureka with Cyanogen for FREEDOM!

Yamishi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Convince me to stay with Windows Phone

I'm sure this isn't the first thread like this, but where I want to differentiate my thread is that I actually want some Windows Phone fanboys (preferably those with heavy Android experience) to convince me to stay with Windows Phone. My contract is just about up, so it's time for me to decide what to do.

I'll start by saying I'm really excited for Windows 10. However, it has not yet come to my phone for the Technical Preview, and, from the looks of it, I'll be last in line.

I made the mistake of choosing the Samsung ATIV S when Windows Phone 8 first launched. On my carrier (Rogers), the latest update I can get is still 8.0. I'm using 8.1 through the Developer Preview, but I've been told I'm missing some important firmware.

- My camera crashes about 50% of the time I try to launch it, and won't work again until I do a hard restart. Frustrating for those times I need to capture a moment in-the-now.
- My browser has difficulty rendering a great deal of websites; sometimes tap-and-hold causes my page to scroll sideways instead of the expected behavior.
- My live tiles fail to update regularly.
- I want Snapchat.
- I play an MMO called Phantasy Star Online 2 by Sega, which has a mobile version of the game for Android and iOS; Sega is my favorite game publisher, and their support for WP has been lackluster at best.
- I play Destiny, which has a stellar companion app for Android/iOS, but only has a third-party app for WinPhone.
- The reason I chose Windows Phone to begin with was Xbox integration, and it has been suffering, and although there has been an upswing lately, it's not something where I can safely expect a new game released every week or even month. Even games that have had Xbox integration are being updated to remove it (Chickens Can't Fly).
- Xbox Music is still a mess.

I'm not sure how much of this is because my phone is missing the latest firmware -- which has been released on the international editions of the ATIV S, but Rogers insists they haven't yet received -- how much of it is the fault of Windows Phone itself, and how much of it (if any) will be fixed by Windows 10 when that arrives.

At present, my carrier only has the Lumia 830 and 635, neither of which is considered a flagship, and I have to decide if I want to get one of those, and perhaps be horribly disappointed again, OR, switch to Android and, you know, possibly be horribly disappointed anyway, but have my apps and Sega games.

So, fanboys, tell me how this makes you feel! :D

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Convince me to stay with Windows Phone

I'm sure this isn't the first thread like this, but where I want to differentiate my thread is that I actually want some Windows Phone fanboys (preferably those with heavy Android experience) to convince me to stay with Windows Phone. My contract is just about up, so it's time for me to decide what to do.

My rule of thumb is this. Every mobile OS has it's pros and cons, which matter more depends on you. I stay with Windows Phone because what it does really well (people/e-mail/core) matters to me more than it's deficiencies (like apps). This is very personal for everyone. I try lots of devices and you might be surprised at what bugs you the most with different devices. For example Windows Keyboard is considered (generally) to be the best mobile keyboard in terms of accuracy. No apps can make up for that if you get continually frustrated by the keyboard every time you use it. But people typically don't think about small things like that, it's all apps and fancy accessories, etc.

Here's what I recommend, find a used Moto G and play with it. It has a very recent Android experience, it's dirt cheap used (I've seen them for $50), and then you don't burn an upgrade and lock yourself in.

Yamishi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Convince me to stay with Windows Phone

My rule of thumb is this. Every mobile OS has it's pros and cons, which matter more depends on you. I stay with Windows Phone because what it does really well (people/e-mail/core) matters to me more than it's deficiencies (like apps). This is very personal for everyone. I try lots of devices and you might be surprised at what bugs you the most with different devices. For example Windows Keyboard is considered (generally) to be the best mobile keyboard in terms of accuracy. No apps can make up for that if you get continually frustrated by the keyboard every time you use it. But people typically don't think about small things like that, it's all apps and fancy accessories, etc.

Here's what I recommend, find a used Moto G and play with it. It has a very recent Android experience, it's dirt cheap used (I've seen them for $50), and then you don't burn an upgrade and lock yourself in.

This is exactly the sort of advice I'm after. Having never used any smartphone other than WP7/8, I had no idea it had a better keyboard.

Unfortunately on the Moto G front, the cheapest unlocked one I could find in my area is cresting $120, and I'm not sure I want to drop that kind of cash on a device that I'd be using purely to see if the OS was worth my time. Is there a site that anyone knows of that sells cheap, unlocked phones to Canada?

​I'm also really concerned that I might pick another "loser" of a Windows Phone that would leave me without updates and broken features in a couple of years (which is the fragmentation I thought Microsoft was trying to avoid)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077