Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Leaving Windows Phone after staying with it for more than 4 years

To clarify, yes I'm going to wait until WP10 comes out before deciding which platform to stay with. For now I love my 1520.3 and have no desire to get an android or iPhone but that may very well change if the flagship phone they will push with WP10 is lackluster.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Switching platforms|Thinking of leaving...comment here!

You just said
"My friends and I have had plenty of great experiences with Apple and Samsung customer care. 'And to Android I shall return'"

Try Samsung and see how they are. I would do it...

The Samsung support here is very bad

I'll look into their reviews :)

ImSoWade

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I might be leaving Windows Phone.......maybe

FYI this post may be a little long for some so feel free to just read the points that interest you. I might be leaving Windows Phone.......maybe. Let me start off by saying I have been with Windows Phone from the beginning, started with a LG Quantum in February 2011 so I have experienced the platform grow/mature. I have been an advocate for Windows Phone and believe it?s the best from an operating system standpoint. I am considering going to Android for a few reasons; I'll list them first in a random fashion (for those who don't want to read all this!) and then elaborate my points. 1) No flagship: My 1020 is messing up so I may need a phone soon, but I don't see anything I would want to upgrade to. 2) Concerns with app support (like Bank of America leaving). 3) Feeling compromised being a windows phone user. 4) Getting tired of waiting for the platform take-off 5) Competition.

Now that is out of the way, let's begin. I am actually happy with Windows Phone from a software/feature perspective, and prefer it to use it over the others. I feel we are on par with the competition as an OS, but software/features is only one piece of the puzzle.

1) No current flagship. I know everyone is tired of us complaining about this, but I don't see the problem with wanting to experience Windows Phone with technology better than the phone you've had for over a year. My 1020 came out at a weird time when WP didn't have the capability to do certain things (didn't support 1080p, screen size limited, processor limited, etc). All of these things are possible now with WP, but this somewhat limited the device from being future proof. I love my 1020, but it is not a perfect device. Small screen by today's standards, slow processing of pics because of an old chipset, no expandable storage in a phone where pictures take up a lot more space, and honestly I feel at least a 1080p screen would be ideal to few these wonderful pics I am taking. I say all that to say this: The technology is out there to make this the perfect phone and I have been patiently waiting. The issue now is that my phone has been acting up so I may be in need of a new phone soon. My plan was to wait until Microsoft revealed the next flagship, but it is taking FOREVER!!! You may ask why not just get another 1020? Phones have come so far since the 1020 has been released and I want to take advantage of these advancements (mainly screen size, resolution, and processing power). The one area my 1020 excels is the camera, makes it tough to pick anything to be honest. It's been over a year since Microsofts latest flagship and in today's climate I think that's far too long. I actually bought the Lumia 830, but ended up returning it because of the camera (wasn?t satisfied). I also had a 1520 briefly, but I?m not willing to live with a phone that big (personal preference). I know they are holding on to it until Windows 10 is released, but they could at least put out a thin refreshed 930 or something to satisfy the high-end market. People buy phones every day and if you don't have what they want when they need it; they may go elsewhere. If I switched to Android I would have PLENTY of options. Not just one (the HTC M8 is my one real option, but I prefer Lumias).

2) Concerns with app support. I tell people all the time that I am not really an app person. As long as the apps I need are there, I?ll manage. Bank of America pulling their support for Windows Phone recently was a big deal me since that is one of the FEW apps I consider a necessity. The problem is they are not the first major company to do this and situations like this are not good for the platform. It?s becoming hard for me to even recommend Windows Phone when essential apps are not available. The credit cards I use all have apps for iOS and Android, but not Windows Phone. I could deal with that, but the company I bank with is a different story. I?m a big Instagram user and luckily we have 6tag (great app) because our Instagram ?BETA? app has not been touched in over a year. One thing I have noticed is that apps are noticeably better in quality/development (in some cases) on competing platforms. CNN, ESPN, Instagram to name a few. We may have the best user interface (IMO), but their app quality is a cut above ours to be honest. I personally don?t feel an app gap (except with banking now lol), but that is important to a lot of people. We can beg developers all we want, but unless market share noticeably increases app support will not be first class (in some cases no app at all). Issue eliminated if I switched

3) Feeling compromised as a WP user. As stated earlier, I have been here since the beginning. Being a WP user I feel that I always have to compromise on something and after 4 years I?m really tired of it. At first it was features, then hardware limitations, developer support as usual, and now I feel compromised because there is no Windows Phone out now that I want to upgrade to. All these problems would be fixed if I switched

4) Getting tired of waiting for the platform take-off. I get really excited with every big update to the OS (Mango update, WP8, WP8.1) thinking ?THIS WILL BE OUR YEAR? and I have been let down every time. Now, I have never been disappointed with the Operating System just the overall success of the platform. Part of the problem is definitely bias tech journalist who in fact can influence their audiences very well. Also I feel from a marketing and supply chain perspective the push is just not there by Microsoft. Take the 920 for example: I feel that could have been a big driver for the platform, but the momentum was dulled at carrier exclusivity. A flagship phone only available for AT&T in the states (luckily I?m with AT&T). I understand it?s not easy to get phones on all carriers, but this for some reason is still happening (happened with the 920, 1020, Icon/930, 1520). Speaking about marketing, not one of these phones got the push it deserved (well maybe the 1020 did). It?s been exciting seeing the growth of the platform, but I?m tired of dealing with barriers to growth that can be resolved (but never seem to change).

5) Competition. I admit I used to be an Android hater. I thought it looked old/dated, too laggy, bugs, etc. The truth is, most of these problems have been fixed within the past 12 months. With the new Lollipop update for the first time I can actually say I am impressed with their operating system. I still think WP is the better of the two, but Android isn?t far behind. Problem is all the points I mentioned in this post as major concerns on WP would be a non-issue by switching to Android. I may be losing something in the user experience by switching, but the gains I would experience where Windows Phone lacks make me really question my loyalty.

Almost done guys, I know this is long lol. The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and the HTC One M9 are really tempting since my phone is acting up. I want to stay with Windows to see the flagship they plan to release this year, but outside of giving me the flagship I?ve been waiting patiently for the other concerns are not resolved. Now here is what I may end up doing. I may buy the new Lumia 640XL if it?s not too big (so I?ll have a working phone) to hold me over until Microsofts new flagship(s) and FULL Windows 10 reveal this year and then make this VERY TOUGH decision (to stay or leave). I know I will be impressed with what Windows 10 brings, but I will do my best to muster this last bit of hope to stay?..

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: I might be leaving Windows Phone.......maybe

I thought this was actually a really well thought out and well written post. I actually don't disagree with any of your major concerns.

My daily driver is currently a BlackBerry Q10 and BlackBerry fans actually share a lot of the same concerns as Windows phone fans.

For Windows phone, apps are an even bigger issue because BB has gotten around that by pushing it's Android runtime as a way to close the app gap. Android apps don't run as good as native apps do, but they run, and it's better than nothing.

I tried using a WP as my daily driver with 2 separate phones, first a Lumia 521 and later a 822. I ended up moving on for many of the same reasons you listed.

Thing is, there is a lot to like about Windows phone as a platform, and Lumia hardware, in particular. If a few more of my favorite apps made it to the platform, and if security features like full device and SD encryption were user accessible, I'd be tempted to come back.

See, as much as I like BlackBerry devices, I'm becoming a bit disillusioned with their claims of being the best at privacy and security when the fact is that most of the good security features require the phone to be paired with one of the BES servers. But they don't make that clear to non-business users like me.

I really hope Windows 10 breathes new life into the platform and that we see some renewed interest among developers. I'll be paying very close attention.

Thanks for the great read, OP, and good luck!
Sent from my Lumia 822

ImSoWade

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I thought this was actually a really well thought out and well written post. I actually don't disagree with any of your major concerns.

My daily driver is currently a BlackBerry Q10 and BlackBerry fans actually share a lot of the same concerns as Windows phone fans.

For Windows phone, apps are an even bigger issue because BB has gotten around that by pushing it's Android runtime as a way to close the app gap. Android apps don't run as good as native apps do, but they run, and it's better than nothing.

I tried using a WP as my daily driver with 2 separate phones, first a Lumia 521 and later a 822. I ended up moving on for many of the same reasons you listed.

Thing is, there is a lot to like about Windows phone as a platform, and Lumia hardware, in particular. If a few more of my favorite apps made it to the platform, and if security features like full device and SD encryption were user accessible, I'd be tempted to come back.

See, as much as I like BlackBerry devices, I'm becoming a bit disillusioned with their claims of being the best at privacy and security when the fact is that most of the good security features require the phone to be paired with one of the BES servers. But they don't make that clear to non-business users like me.

I really hope Windows 10 breathes new life into the platform and that we see some renewed interest among developers. I'll be paying very close attention.

Thanks for the great read, OP, and good luck!
Sent from my Lumia 822

Thanks! You made great points as well. I'm looking forward to Windows 10, hopefully it gives that platform the success it deserves

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried a 1520 or 930 yet? I currently use a 1520 and I am very satisfied with the beast that this phone it's. Having the latest firmware and 2k capability.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Valid points... It concerns me too...i have been using a 1520 for over a year... Bought it at a time when I felt Microsoft cared about WP... Latest hardware.. Packed with features.. Had everything I wanted in a phone,sd card, glance,32gb storage,2 Gb ram, excellent camera... a total package... And know what Microsoft apps were clearly superior in my 1520!!!
Fast forward a year... While im absolutely satisfied with the hardware.. Phone is still fast.. Excellent camera.. I'm feeling handicapped in software part..
Microsoft apps are inferior compared to other platforms. Still stuck with same old one note (I actually use one note a lot)... The advantages WP had from a software perspective are no more...
It's just the tiles that is remaining...
I hope like many here w10 will do the work LOL...

Anyways I don't plan to jump ship soon coz I'm satisfied with hardware....i plan to get an iPad to cover the software/app side...
Thing is there are many like me... And when time comes to get a new phone im sure as hell it wont be a WP if the same situation continues

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

FYI this post may be a little long for some so feel free to just read the points that interest you...

Really well thought out post. I agree 110% with everything you said, especially with the part about waiting for the OS to finally take several times in a row, only to be let down yet again.

It's just cyclic. Terribly cyclic, terribly Microsoft. It's part of their culture which really needs to change, and sadly, hasn't. They just can't seem to shake it off.

AkArora

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Switched to Windows Phone an 830 just 3 days ago from Android (tablet), in anticipation that Windows Phone 10 will fly this OS out of troubles. I dont use apps much, but not having an app as charming as Gmail's native app is frustrating, and this is from 2 days only, cannot imagine if this frustration will increase going forward.

After going through these forums, and reading this, I have realized that A lot is residing on Windows Phone 10, a lot.

If Windows Phone 10 does not deliver, people are not going to stick with the quirks of the OS anymore. If Microsoft does not realize this, this OS will be doomed soon.

Jeff Erson

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

I have a lot to read from here. Subscribed!

Current owner of a 920 and will soon be an Android user, either a Nexus 6, Z4 or a G4. As I keep on saying (if you read my other posts), I love Windows, and will always be a fan. But the app gap, I can't bear it anymore. My bank doesn't have am app, can hardly find local apps, and freebies of my network provider are only for app store and play store. No love for Windows. I hope it will change in the future and I'll be more than happy to be with Windows again.

K_Arora5

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

Current owner of a 920 and will soon be an Android user, either a Nexus 6, Z4 or a G4. As I keep on saying (if you read my other posts), I love Windows, and will always be a fan. But the app gap, I can't bear it anymore. My bank doesn't have am app, can hardly find local apps, and freebies of my network provider are only for app store and play store. No love for Windows. I hope it will change in the future and I'll be more than happy to be with Windows again.
Exactly my situation.

ImSoWade

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried a 1520 or 930 yet? I currently use a 1520 and I am very satisfied with the beast that this phone it's. Having the latest firmware and 2k capability.

Not sure if this was directed at me (they transferred my post to this forum), but I'll answer. I tried out the 1520 twice and I'm just not willing to live with a phone that big. Great hardware. I would actually purchase the 930.....if it was available for AT&T!!! I know the device has a few problems, but I can overlook those

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Many, including me, have made the jump. I went from a Samsung Focus (WP7), Lumia 920 to a 1020...as much as i loved the OS UI i couldnt personally deal with the problems, especially the ones that came up after i updated to the official 8.1 release on my 1020 (tons of freezing, lag, crashes, black screens, etc). I left for a Nexus 5 and have potential expectations to return with W10 flagship device. Also, I personally enjoyed WP7/8 much more than 8.1...not a big fan of the changes (other than the notification slider)...so what i originally LOVEd about WP has slowly disappeared.

Jeff Erson

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

Many, including me, have made the jump. I went from a Samsung Focus (WP7), Lumia 920 to a 1020...as much as i loved the OS UI i couldnt personally deal with the problems, especially the ones that came up after i updated to the official 8.1 release on my 1020 (tons of freezing, lag, crashes, black screens, etc). I left for a Nexus 5 and have potential expectations to return with W10 flagship device. Also, I personally enjoyed WP7/8 much more than 8.1...not a big fan of the changes (other than the notification slider)...so what i originally LOVEd about WP has slowly disappeared.

Yes, the lagging also. It is now more noticeable. The loading...., resuming...., it adds to my list of reasons why I should leave Windows. I don't have an Android phone right now, and it would also take some time before the phones I want (Nexus 6, G4 and Z4) will reach the market here. If there's a great improvement in that period, maybe I won't totally leave Windows.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

They are both CDMA devices, no? I don't live in U.S. so they won't work where I live even when I get my hands on one. Which is a damn shame since I really like the design and specs of both those devices.

No.. AtiveSE has both. Need to check you country frequencies

HTC has 2 versions. CDMA and GSM

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

No.. AtiveSE has both. Need to check you country frequencies

HTC has 2 versions. CDMA and GSM

You are correct at that, I checked on GSMArena. But for the life of me I can't locate either in my country either on online retailers or used ones being sold by people. How can this be? Only the dated Ativ S is available. No SE, no M8 for Windows. Scary :eek:

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Yes, the lagging also. It is now more noticeable. The loading...., resuming...., it adds to my list of reasons why I should leave Windows. I don't have an Android phone right now, and it would also take some time before the phones I want (Nexus 6, G4 and Z4) will reach the market here. If there's a great improvement in that period, maybe I won't totally leave Windows.

Thankfully we live in a time period where if need be you can temporarily purchase a lower end phone for WP and Android, both will service your needs until a high end phone makes it to your market. I would suggest looking at the new Moto G for Android or a 5xx/6xx model for WP (if you wish to stay). I would personally stay away from the WP devices that were released during WP8 (expect for a 1520/930), based on the forum here is a hit/miss if it works properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos