Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Switching platforms|Thinking of leaving...comment here!

For the sake of argument, lets say Windows Phone gets killed off in 2 years. Why does this stop you from using it now if you really like it? Would you be banned from ever having a smart phone again because you chose an OS that got discontinued? Would it be the end of the world, or would you just transfer your stuff back to iCloud and buy the new iPhone 9++? It's just as easy to transition off of Windows Phone as it is to transition to Windows Phone.

The next version of the Windows Phone OS, Windows 10, is still months away from being released. Even if it were to end up being the last version of Windows for phones, it won't affect your $400 - 600 phone purchase now. Any phone you purchase today, including your iPhone 6+, will be considered junk in another 2 to 3 years. Therefore, even if the OS gets discontinued it will affect your *next* phone purchase, but not the current one. Actually, when you think about it a lot of phone hardware becomes useless (or unusable) because the OS *did* get updated. Ask anyone with an iPhone 4s, Windows Phone 7, or just about every Android phone more than 2 years old how well their phones are working with those OS updates. Most will tell you they hate their phone now because it runs like garbage or that they aren't getting updates anymore.

Really though, as someone with the latest and greatest iPhone, do you honestly think in two years you aren't going to be itching to rock another latest and greatest phone?

IMHO, Windows 10 + Universal apps + Xbox One + Surface/Hybrids really is a game changer. Not so much because it's a new strategy, but because the strategy is really starting to come together recently. I'm sure people will disagree, but I think it's going to pull Windows Phone out of the hole it's in. Not because developers are going to suddenly target Windows phones, but because they will already be targeting all of the other Windows 10 based devices and adding Windows phone support will take very little extra effort. Also, for the first time in years I am seeing people get excited about what MS is doing with this strategy. People are *starting* to talk about MS like they were talking about Apple 3 to 5 years ago. Not so much average consumers, but the geeks that tend to spot and be early adopters of the next technology trends.

MS can pretty much dump money into Windows phones forever. They have a crazy amount of income and cash in reserve. More importantly, not everything done in business is about making a profit. Well, it is, but on an overall level rather than individual products. Xbox is still going strong after years of losing money or breaking even. Google has all kinds of free services and software. Apple basically gives their OS away for free now. All of these things lead to profit in other areas. In the case of MS, they need Windows phones to complete their integrated ecosystem. It doesn't have to make money as an individual product as long as the overall ecosystem strategy is making money.

Agreed.

I'm sure there will be some ups and downs along the way, but overall I think the platform is going to be in much better shape in another 2+ years. See my response on the MS strategy above for details on how I think it will happen.

All fair points. I think we'll just have to see how windows 10 changes things. I want to see it succeed. Because even though I can't get a high end windows phone right now because I'm paying off the iPhone still, and it'll be another year or so before I ipgrade again, I'd love o make my next phone a lumia. I suppose I'll evaluate where windows phone is at then.

David Guzman3

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Leaving Windows (sorry)

I tried to stick with the Windows platform but apparently u didn't want me to stay. I still have the Lumia 1020 and u have yet to come out with something better. I am switching to the S6 in two weeks and I really wish u all the best. Once Microsoft got a hold of the cell phones away from Nokia it all went down hill. ✌

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Leaving Windows (sorry)

Best of luck to you. I feel your pain, and I can't find fault in your reasoning. The 1020 is slow by today's standards, and its a shame Microsoft hasn't at the very least promised a successor.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

David... Sorry to hear you feel the need to switch platforms..

However... This site is fan based. We are not Microsoft, Lumia or any developer here. It wasn't us.

Great good luck to you.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

I tried to stick with the Windows platform but apparently u didn't want me to stay. I still have the Lumia 1020 and u have yet to come out with something better. I am switching to the S6 in two weeks and I really wish u all the best. Once Microsoft got a hold of the cell phones away from Nokia it all went down hill. ✌

No, it didn't go down hill, Microsoft decided to build the x40 series from the ground up (440, then 540, now 640 and 640 XL).

Either way, good luck with the choice, I'll be enjoying the Lumia 940 when it comes out. :)

David Guzman3

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

Sorry I was just venting. Had my 1020 for about two years and waited for a successor to no avail. I had a great time with the camera capabilities but I am just looking for a fresh experience. Idk why I feel like im in rehab lol

David Guzman3

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

And I had a 920 before that too! Last 4 years defending windows to people that they're the best 😒 never had an android phone. Hopefully the S6 blows me away.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

David...

If you have to go Android - go Nexus. Best update schedule and no bloat. Easiest and most widely supported Root and Mod. Look into Xposed Framework for easy and small footprint mods that change the UI. Maybe even get a good kernel upgrade like Franco...

You might want to spend some time over at Android Central reading up on things... Your Mobile Nations Passport gets you in there on the same account you use here at Windows Central. No new sign up needed. Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

You'll be back mate. I was you a few months back. Got myself an HTC M8 running android as it had been a while. Still got it and its a lovely handset with awesome build quality but now back in the fold. Despite all the well worn deficiencies I just prefer this platform. Its the look and feel of it...hard to explain really. Enjoy your dabble and check back in when you return my friend 😉

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

You'll be back mate. I was you a few months back. Got myself an HTC M8 running android as it had been a while. Still got it and its a lovely handset with awesome build quality but now back in the fold. Despite all the well worn deficiencies I just prefer this platform. Its the look and feel of it...hard to explain really. Enjoy your dabble and check back in when you return my friend 😉

Irony is that look and feel is going away to be replaced with a more "conventional" look similar to ios and android. No pivots or hubs but lots of hamburgers and hard to reach menus. Should be a fun update! 😊

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

In all seriousness, will be interested to see OP's journey with this. Maybe suggest a blog to watch or a stickied thread from OP.

David Guzman3

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

I've been waiting on the Denim update which seems like forever, waiting for the windows 10 preview since I have the developer preview app. It's just been hella frustrating!

brat1475

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site

I've been an on again off again Windows Phone user. I switched to Android on the legendary HD2, then switched back with the Radar 4G. Enjoyed the phone, however the apps and limitations at the time frustrated me. When no update path to WP8 from 7 became apparent, I switched to a Galaxy Nexus. Eventually went to a Note 3 and loved it for a while. Bought a Lumia 521 as a gym device and would switch back and forth from time to time. WP8.1 intrigued me again, was tired of the bloat, unsure of OS updates, and WP seemed refreshing. I took the dive and traded my Note 3 in on a HTC One M8 for Windows. The hardware, incredible, the OS, awesome. The pros, OS is clean and smooth. Good combination of official and 3rd party apps for most of what I do, great battery life. The cons, no banking apps for my banks, certain apps lack small niceties that their iOS/Android versions have, certain games I miss. The biggest frustration, wearable support. I am a Pebble user from my Android days. Things have improved a little, especially with the notifications app that leaked. It's nice to have my notifications back, and Pebble Watch Pro helps too. However, no guarantee the functionality for both apps will still exist with WP10. No smart watch really works with WP. Gonna checkout the Microsoft band when I see one in Best Buy, as cool as it is, don't know if I'll like it. We'll see when I check it out. I ramble a lot, but bottom line, I'm gonna see how WiP10 works out, but I unfortunately see my days on WP numbered. I love WP, but I want smart watch support, I want my banking apps to cash checks using the camera. Might switch to iPhone instead of going back to Android, don't have a warm fuzzie about Google anymore. Time will tell, bring on WP10.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
After 4 years I'm leaving Windows Phone.

I've been a Microsoft fan for awhile from PC/Tablet to Xbox to Windows Phone. My first and always smartphone was a WP (Samsung Focus) until recently I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S5. The only thing I'm leaving permanently possibly is WP. I'll still use my Lumia 830 from time to time or the other WP devices I have. I'll keep checking on WP here at Windows Central. This a goodbye for now. I'll miss that blue theme on my tiles haha.

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: After 4 years I'm leaving Windows Phone.

I've been a Microsoft fan for awhile from PC/Tablet to Xbox to Windows Phone. My first and always smartphone was a WP (Samsung Focus) until recently I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S5. The only thing I'm leaving permanently possibly is WP. I'll still use my Lumia 830 from time to time or the other WP devices I have. I'll keep checking on WP here at Windows Central. This a goodbye for now. I'll miss that blue theme on my tiles haha.
Confusing sstatement.
AAnyway good luck with your S5

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

I've just about had it as well with WP. I had a 920 and loved the phone. Never had a problem hardware wise (battery drain was frustrating but a few tweaks and updates almost solved it completely) and the OS is really a great platform. I love the functionality of WP, in my opinion it blows any other OS away. There are features in WP that I find essential to my use (location based reminders, freakin awesome!). I just moved from a 920 to an 830 and I don't really have any complaints about the phone itself. I am getting sick and tired of not being supported.

It's impossible to find accessories in a store (Best Buy sells the phone in store right there but not one damn case, screen protector, etc), and almost just as hard to find good quality accessories online. Buying online can be great but when you order a screen protector from China, wait a month, and then find out it doesn't fit it is frustrating.

Apps. Why the hell can't we get support from major app developers? This whole boycott MS thing is bull. Yes there are great third party apps but when you don't get original developer apps people just don't want to come to WP. Period. Not being able to partake in certain event experiences, shopping deals, or certain features because there isn't a WP version app is becoming extremely frustrating.

XBox Music. I swear to God if MS doesn't fix this pathetic excuse of a music service in Windows 10 I'm done. I'm done giving them chances. I'm done not being able to enjoy my full library of music because XBox Music says "XBox Music no longer has access to this song. Try searching the store for an updated version." Mother******! I bought the song from you! I can't sit here all day and "search for an updated version" on dozens of songs for updated versions! I'm sick of not being able to use playlists across devices, or even properly create a playlist. The music portion of WP should have been one of the cornerstones of its design. It's been a disaster from the start.

WP has so many good things going for it but MS can't seem to bring it all together, which in turn brings the lack of support. One thing MS has gotten right is listening to the users. I've seen a few changes and additions come to the OS solely based on user feedback and suggestions. That is one thing I'll give them a thumbsup on. MS is running out of chances in my book really fast. Windows 10 had better be the game changer it needs (and I don't think unified apps is going to be it, that should have been done from the start) and has been made out to be. MS is behind, way behind. I'm tired of being behind. Sorry I just had to vent for a minute.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Like I've said before I'm done with WP. I love the hardware (even though the 830 is definitely too large for me) but the OS has managed to drive me nuts. One of my colleagues still had his old iPhone 4S that he didn't need anymore, that phone is now mine. My way has thus been iPhone 5 -> Lumia 635 -> Lumia 830 -> iPhone 4S.

What I'll miss: The keyboard is simply superb, call quality and 2G/3G reception, LTE, Qi wireless charging, Glance is a nice feature and the 830's camera is simply the best smartphone camera I've seen.

What I won't miss: Apps not running, being outdated or missing completely, random phone reboots, Wi-Fi hiccups, Internet Explorer (piece of crap), the 830's size, live tiles not updating randomly, the rather limited action center, crappy cut & paste, capacitive buttons not lighting up this remaining invisible most of the time, the worst music app I've ever seen, random increase in mobile data usage, the touchscreen not registering my taps properly (must me a software use, had that in both Lumias), missing either notifications (because the phone doesn't make a sound with bluetooth headphones connected) or phone calls (because the phone doesn't make a sound with regular wired headphones connected), and last but not least apps not restoring properly or getting stuck doing so.

I've tried Android, I've tried Windows Phone, but so far I always came crawling back to Apple and iOS. I'll keep both Lumias around just in case but I'm definitely done. Right now all this didn't cost me a thing since they're all business phones paid for by my employer but I'll be moving to the US early next year and will have to buy a personal phone again and I know for sure what I won't be getting anytime soon ;)

Last edited:

sam1902

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site

Guys i finally switched to pretty old but awesome Samsung galaxy S4., i know its getting pretty old but thats what my budget allowed me to go., i also pretty much hated android like most of the windowsphone users do which can't be denied ., the experience on android is good enough to keep me in the android eco system no longer i feel disconnected i can whatever apps i want and i even discovered the games that i played on my nokia 6600 and N81 ., Yes i was a nokia fan and loved everything about. But as every thing is not perfect i didn't liked the design of S4 which a metal bumper will do for it another thing is a lack good audio codec support for android moliplayer is missing key features in android and now here maps is also available on android, as well as mix radio would be and the sad thing i wouldnt be returning to windowsphone anytime soon tired of the waiting thing and those who thing app gap is not there they are completely wrong there is a huge app gap in quantity of apps,their quality,features in apps and their update periods. But i had kept my old phone as I'm excited for windows 10
So as it is always said that you can't forget your first love which in this case would always be a windowsphone.

Posted via samsung galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss