Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why, with a heavy heart, I left Windows Phone

Lol. We've been asked to imagine for 5 years now. Many of us have left the fantasy land that Windows Phone has become and gone to iPhone or Android where reality exists.

Lol I haven't been waiting that long :) I can do the things I want on my phone, so I'm not complaining. When this situation changes then I will consider leaving

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Switching platforms|Thinking of leaving...comment here!

In February I switched to an iPhone 6 after owning an HTC 8X, a Lumia 928, and an Icon. Since I can't get all technical, I'll simply say that the iPhone 6 just feels better in so many ways. Everything, just...works. Windows Phone felt so cheap, honestly. While I still do love Microsoft, I'll be waiting for a better phone to come along. But I think once a jailbreak is released for 8.3, I probably won't look back.

Also, Chase dropping WP support was a HUGE deal-breaker for me. I never thought I would be so turned off by the loss of one app, but damn was that bad.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

It all "just works" yet you feel the need to jailbreak it? Hmmmm.

Yes, I'm a real stickler for themes and even Windows Phone couldn't deliver what I wanted in terms of minimalism. Winterboard themes are the solution to that.

Jonny702

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Well so much for the chance of MS seeing my post and making some changes now that it's in the 47 page thread.......
*sigh*
I really hope they give me a reason to come back one day

highgear56

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

I used a Lumia 710 for a couple years, then decided to try out Android. I got myself a Moto G LTE and after comparing it to a Lumia 635, the Moto G blows it away. It's way faster, browses so much better it's not even a contest, flawless Youtube playback, especially with embedded links, and most webpages on Chrome load as they would on my desktop. The browsing is extremely quick too.

But I'm still holding out for Windows Phone 10. If some shortcomings are fixed and the web compatibility is much improved, I'll be eye'ing a new Windows Phone 10 flagship.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

^ Cause IE is alot slower than Chrome. Wish we would get alternative browsers. Good luck with your Droid :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

^ Cause IE is alot slower than Chrome. Wish we would get alternative browsers. Good luck with your Droid :)
I actually like Firefox better than Chrome on Android. It offers ad-block without root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

I actually like Firefox better than Chrome on Android. It offers ad-block without root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

You can still install old versions of Flash into Firefox, too. I dont find myself needing it very much anymore, but its nice to have that option.

jglen_TNA

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
So if Windows 10 tanks, I'm off to Blackberry

After long hard thought, I've decied that if Windows 10 either sucks *** (and I know some of you think that already) or basically tanks by doing nothing to the market share of Windows Phone, I'm gonna switch to Blackberry.
Who's with me?

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site

I think every phone platform does something great and something awful. I'm very wishy-washy when it comes to phones and usually switch every 6 months....which is why you haven't seen me here in a while. At this point, I could use any of the high end phones on the market, but it pretty much comes down to eco-system. Unfortunately, as much as I love my own app on WP, Microsoft has the least attractive eco-system to me. Most of the people I know or work with, are hooked on Apple. And Google is extremely effective at what they do well. I know I will buy a new Windows Phone when 10 is launched, but I'm pretty sure it won't be my primary phone. I'll most likely just use it for testing....including the kiddori app. Windows will survive without me though. :)

Vorkosigan

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: So if Windows 10 tanks, I'm off to Blackberry

After long hard thought, I've decied that if Windows 10 either sucks *** (and I know some of you think that already) or basically tanks by doing nothing to the market share of Windows Phone, I'm gonna switch to Blackberry.
Who's with me?

Hahaha. I'm switching from BlackBerry to Windows. That is, if Rogers ever gets my phone delivered.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

I will definitely switch to Android, my question is should I stick with MS service or move to Google's? I love Windows, but unfortunately, Android is more "Windows" than Windows Phone itself, at least for me. In WP, no true multitask, resuming bug that never end, app refresh, the lack of local app support, which is because MSFT is really suck at advertising, and they can't advertise since they don't have the app, very limited app choice, can't change which app open which type of file, can't change default app, the lack of URI usage to jump between apps, the beautiful-but-too-long app animation, the Store problem, not only lack of app but it's poorly managed or monitored, duplicate apps everywhere, scam app, low quality app, lame rip-off, messed up search, I can go on..

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I will definitely switch to Android, my question is should I stick with MS service or move to Google's?

If you're already entrenched in Microsoft's services there's not a lot of reason to switch to Google's. You may actually find an overall improvement in your ability to utilize Microsoft's services with Android.

rainydaygamer

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: I give up

I am giving some serious thought to switching from my Lumia 920 to an iPhone 6. I really don't want to, I really prefer the Windows phone OS to grid after grid of iPhone icons. I'm just getting tired of the lack of apps. I had the Chase bank app until they decided to shut it down. The app for the Family Guy game was half done and broken compared to iOS and android. The worst part is the "too bad" attitude that developers have. I am waiting to see what happens with windows 10, but I have my doubts that app development will improve.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

If you're already entrenched in Microsoft's services there's not a lot of reason to switch to Google's. You may actually find an overall improvement in your ability to utilize Microsoft's services with Android.
I've long been a fan of "all in" - when I switch platforms I switch everything. But when my G4 arrives, I may see how practical it is to keep using MS services on an Android. I really don't want to use anything Google if I can help it.

WinU

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

I switched from my lumia 920 to a Galaxy S5 a few weeks ago now. Just thought I'd give an update. I hate to say it but I don't find myself missing anything on the 920 or windows. I switched mainly for some apps that were really important and I'm glad I did. The S5 is a nice phone. Yes I know and I'm sure I'll hear give it time it's android, it's junk, it will crash, freeze etc. I've had android before and that did happen but that was 5 years ago before I switched to windows. I think they fixed a lot of their problems. I love windows and I kept my 920 so that I can follow the progress of windows 10. I really hope they get apps back that they lost and I really hope they don't allow android apps. I don't like that move. Oh. and all the Microsoft apps on android like One drive etc are awesome.

Last edited:

Reynaldo Sustaita

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Switching to iPhone? My thoughts on switching and what do you think about my reasoning.

Hello Forums!

In 16 days, I will be switching from a platform I love so much to a platform I have become familiar with. I will be leaving Windows Phone for an iPhone 6 Plus. Even though I am excited as this is a new platform for me to devote my time and money in, I can't help but feel sad about the switch. I have been with Windows Phone since Windows Phone 7 and the Samsung Focus (one of the first Windows Phones).

I was there when people kept ridiculing me for having "no apps" and "it looks confusing." I have heard "oh, isn't that just Android" and "It looks ugly."

I have been through it all.

I can say I love the pictures taken with my Nokia Lumia 1020 and now people understand what a Windows Phone is.

As the eve of Windows 10 for phones approaches, I have to sadly leave...for my career.

As a Broadcast Journalism major with an emphasis on technology journalism, I need different needs going forward. I need immediate access to apps that take sometime getting to Windows Phone. Windows Phones will always have a place in my heart and I would always recommend people try Windows Phone first. With that being said though, I am also planning on leaving PCs for Macs as a complete transition to Apple's hardware. Don't get me wrong though. I pay for Office 365 and will continue to use it. I use Outlook for my emails and I use Onedrive over iCloud any day. I am not totally retreating from Microsoft, just its hardware.

Who knows? Maybe I will buy a phone with Windows 10 and switch out using the iPhone and the device.

But for now, I will have to be used to asking Siri instead of Cortana for help of what local pizza places deliver at 11PM on a Tuesday.

Does anyone else have this dilemma? Any thoughts in general? I will continue reading Windows Central as I love this site.

Sincerely,

A (soon to be former) Windows Phone user since November 8, 2010 (when Windows Phone 7 was released to the public).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos