Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Goodbye WP... for the time being.

I don't know if this is the right section to post this, mods please help move to this to the right section, thanks.

As per the title, I switched from windows phone to an Android. My mom passed me her old phone (SGS4). I was using the Lumia 520 running WP8.1 and a frequent reader of WC (started when it was WPC).

A few things to note about the switch:
- The GS4's hardware is very good, it's thin and light compared to higher end Lumias.
- It spikes once in a while (a Samsung problem), not more than NL520 though (hardware limitations)
- Nicer graphics in both software and apps
- More customisations
- I miss the camera button

And the main thing I wanted to convey in this post is APPS.

Contrary to the mainstream thinking that I'll be more glad with apps, I miss WP apps. I get it, Android has more apps (haven't used any that I can't find on WP), but it's difficult to find good quality Android apps. There are many good WP apps that are irreplaceable: Airyware Tuner, MyTube (background support), Nextgen reader etc. and WP users should be glad that they can use these apps.

I don't see why people say that Android apps are good... but I think otherwise.

It sounds weird, but... WP, I will be back.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Goodbye WP... for the time being.

Maybe you're not looking for the right apps? I've found them similar or better on Android.

In any case. You'll be making your way back to WP when you're ready. Enjoy a different experience for the time being.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

Maybe you're not looking for the right apps? I've found them similar or better on Android.

In any case. You'll be making your way back to WP when you're ready. Enjoy a different experience for the time being.

Hmm... mind sharing? I'm looking for YouTube players that allow audio streaming and background playing (looks like android used to have them). I'm also looking for a good Calculator app like Calculator ++ on WP (not the one on android, same name but different). Also looking for a offline non-ad infested dictionary app. =)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I did some research on the background thing. It's only a matter of time before they stop all background playing as they want people to subscribe to their services.

In the mean time there's two apps. Both with free trials but cost money after.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.internetbackgroundplayerfull
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.datanasov.popupvideo&hl=en_GB

Calculator

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.candl.athena
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android2.calculator3

And tonnes more...

Dictionary

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wordwebsoftware.android.wordweb

I find searching for apps via my PC more effective than on the phone.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Never understood the "apps" argument. Most of the major ones (FB, Twitter, Yelp, etc) are there, and the remaining 99% of the Android store is pure garbage anyway.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Never understood the "apps" argument. Most of the major ones (FB, Twitter, Yelp, etc) are there, and the remaining 99% of the Android store is pure garbage anyway.

There's always something.

For me, lack of working Office Lens and a good-performing OneNote torpedoed serious Blackberry 10 use.
Google's Drive suite is a collaborative force to be reckoned with, especially since it works well on mobile too.

Major ones are onboard, but everyone has different needs. Snapchat for example, its probably a dealbreaker for many like Office Lens was for me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

The in built music player works well enough for me, though the kitkat lock screen album art is getting onto my nerves (due to my songs not having an album art, so it shows a picture of a musical note). Facebook and messenger on android are battery suckers, and I don't use line twitter and snapchat. No doubt the Whatsapp is better though.

Guess what, I can't use OneNote on Android, have no idea why it crashes after I sign in. Office is almost the same as the WP version, except that the UI is much polished. Still have some word docs which it doesn't render properly on WP not doing so on Android, in contrast to Polaris viewer for instance. USB OTG for me isn't that useful either.
What Android device do you have? I have a 2013 Moto X and 2013 Nexus 7, and OneNote has never crashed on either device. None of the Microsoft apps have ever crashed on either of my Android devices.

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site

Windows phones are great for social media experiences, internet,
Video playing , photography, very useful office build in and Microsoft services. Smooth performance on any hardware low end also. That android doesn't manage so far.

We agreed android have millions app and games and you have choice more here than wp. This doesn't mean that all apps are useful...we doesn't install all of them only popular ones we use

Now most of the popular apps are coming in WP store. Platform is growing now. One thing that it doesn't have google apps and services support but its not Microsoft fault.. Google doesn't want to do anything for WP.

Every one has its own point and views . Your choice is final so far,
So enjoy.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Windows phones are great for social media experiences, internet,
Video playing , photography, very useful office build in and Microsoft services. Smooth performance on any hardware low end also. That android doesn't manage so far.

We agreed android have millions app and games and you have choice more here than wp. This doesn't mean that all apps are useful...we doesn't install all of them only popular ones we use

Now most of the popular apps are coming in WP store. Platform is growing now. One thing that it doesn't have google apps and services support but its not Microsoft fault.. Google doesn't want to do anything for WP.

Every one has its own point and views . Your choice is final so far,
So enjoy.

Not sure what platforms you've used but some of the biggest complaints on this forum is regarding the crap quality of social media apps and how far they lag behind other OS's. I'm talking official apps, not third party.

Same goes for video and audio performance.

MS services are great on Android. Office, Outlook, OneDrive, Note... Though I must admit that some of the Google services are getting just as good if not better.

Probably the only stand-out feature WP had was camera but then the competition is catching up. Cortana is very good as well I suppose. However I find some things Google Now does better at least here in the UK. I don't personally care if my assistant has a personality.

As for the apps thing. Apps are as useful as people who want to use them. Not all apps are for everyone. Some are niche. It's about having the option vs not having at all. That's the problem that people seem to miss. I like options and I like having that option.

The platform has been 'growing' since it started and your statements are things I've heard since then. Nothing new. It's very easy for a WP to grow as it's dead last in a three horse race. The only way that Google may come to WP is if it grows enough to warrant it. Whether W10 will be that way or not is yet to be seen.

I've used WP and I'm now using Android. At this moment in time Android suits me. Doesn't mean I won't go back to WP but it won't be in the next year or maybe next.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

@N_LaRUE

As I said everyone has its own points and views.... You are the android user. I have nothing to do with that....i just said what I feel about windows phone.

I am currently an Android user. Used WP for two years. Been on this forum for about the same length of time. Nothing wrong with your 'feelings'. Doesn't mean it's 'reality'.

as I am also WP and android user........i know what differences they have exactly.

If WP suits you now then that's fine.

As for you android is suitable for this moment that's why you prompt it.

No I'm willing to point out the downsides and realities of any OS. Including Android. I wouldn't have switched to Android had there been a suitable flagship device on WP. There was unfortunately nothing and I was in need of a new phone. However I am happy I have.

And what is the app argument
Play store contains useful app though but there are more fake and garbage apps and you say its a choice of apps. Its nothing vs garbage .wp also got popular names.

The app argument is one that's been going on here for some time. 3rd party apps are fine. Don't need the 'real' app. WP has all the apps I need.. etc.. WP is getting apps but there are many that haven't come, many that don't get updated and many that are lacking functions. That is the 'app gap' argument.

As for garbage apps, they exist everywhere, including WP Store.

And WP Platform is growing and maturing it's true. It's major os version windows 10 is on the way.

Yeah I know. Doesn't mean anything until there's an increase in users. I am a Windows user, have been since W3.1. I use it at home and at work. I will upgrade to W10 when it comes out.

Everyone has different needs and with WP I haven't found anything wrong and and it suits me.

If this seems to be wrong for you then you are confused LOL.

I found nothing wrong with WP either however I didn't realise what I didn't have until I moved to Android. It's helped me realise what I wanted to have rather than settling for what I did have. Doesn't mean WP won't have what I want in the future nor that Android is perfect. All OSs and ecosystems have their faults.

I was just correcting you because you seem rather new here, maybe, unless you're on a new user name. I've been on this forum for some time. I know what WP lacks, I know what people complain about.

As the saying goes, to each their own. Enjoy using WP. :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Switching platforms|Thinking of leaving...comment here!

@N_LaRUE

edit: quoted BS deleted by moderator as it's inappropriate for this forum.

Allow me to explain because I'm starting to wonder if you understand English correctly.

I wasn't having an argument with you. I was pointing out what I knew about both the OS, the history and what people ran into on WP. Whether you wish to agree with that based on 'your' experience is irrelevant.

I never insulted you. Nor called you names. Nor am I running cowardly. I just don't have time for a person who can't seem to understand what I'm saying even though I'm speaking plainly. Not sure where the disconnect is.

I hope that I made things a bit more clear for you? You're making something out of nothing. I'm not up for arguing over semantics.

I would appreciate an apology as I never stooped as low as calling you names or insulting you.

Last edited by a moderator:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Allow me to explain because I'm starting to wonder if you understand English correctly.

I wasn't having an argument with you. I was pointing out what I knew about both the OS, the history and what people ran into on WP. Whether you wish to agree with that based on 'your' experience is irrelevant.

I never insulted you. Nor called you names. Nor am I running cowardly. I just don't have time for a person who can't seem to understand what I'm saying even though I'm speaking plainly. Not sure where the disconnect is.

I hope that I made things a bit more clear for you? You're making something out of nothing. I'm not up for arguing over semantics.

I would appreciate an apology as I never stooped as low as calling you names or insulting you.

[NOTE]The appropriate infractions have been applied. Most of the posts leading up to this post have been removed or edited. For now, let's just assume this was one huge misunderstanding and move on.

Any further posts in regard to this misunderstanding will be infracted by the strictest possible standards and then deleted.[/NOTE]

Well that makes it harder to understand but thanks anyway. :)
True. Then again, nothing really worth understanding ;-)

dmagic17

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

Hi All,

Didn't want to create a new thread so hoping you can help with this decision. My employer is forcing me to switch from WP to either an iPhone 6 or Galaxy as I am the last employee on a WP. Help me decide which one would make for the best transition. The most important things to me in order:

Glance - Once you have it, you can't live without it, but I guess I'll have to. Anything remotely close to this on either platform? How do people know how many emails/texts/missed calls they have, what time it is without physically checking their phone all the time? Seems so simple.

Hands free texting - I always use voice texting when reading or responding. Either one do this as well as WP?

Email - I've tried iOS and Android before and email is so clunky compared to WP. Biggest gripe with other OSs in the past was the unread count does not reset when you open the email client like it does for WP. You actually had to address every single email and my "unread count" was useless.

Size/Weight - The smaller the better.

Appreciate your help based on your experiences.

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Switched from Windows Phone to Android

I have recently upgraded my phone from a Luma 928 to a Galaxy Note 4 and I must say, this is one awesome phone. I would suggest it to anyone looking for a new phone who isn't happy with the current Windows offerings. Before this starts a war, I had nothing against Windows Phone or Microsoft in my two years of using the OS. It was very smooth and well built for most of my needs. I just wanted to try something different. Hopefully Windows 10 really takes off and brings the OS more into the mainstream, but for now I am off to Android for a while.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

kdsmith10000

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Switched from Windows Phone to Android

I'm like you but the opposite, I've had android for 4 years, tried out a 928 for a while and sold it due to the battery and the fact that Windows 8, not 8.1, was to young in its development. Long story short I've got an Icon now, traded an HTC One M7 to it and Windows phone and 8.1 has come a long way. I used the W10 build 10136 for a couple of days and believe MS in on the right track. I would hope that with MS making app development easier that Windows 10 takes off and steals market share from IOS 😃.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if I posted in this thread, but I am quite happy with my LG G3. I even got my first major OS update, and I didn't even have to sign up for a developer account. Imagine my happiness and surprise. I'll certainly keep an eye on Windows Phone, and I might pick up a secondary phone once Windows 10 native hardware starts rolling out.

Still... the battle that faces MS is going to be a tough one. Both iOS and Android are moving targets. Should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers