Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
im looking to switch, from the humble days of the 520 and then several window phones, i think my bst performing was the 640. my wife and daughters also have lumias apart from my eldest daughter who has the iphone 6. i just bought a asus android 8 inch tablet and love it, android is so muhc better than what it use to be, which was making me lean towards the samsung s6 edge, although i always want the option of a SD card. I do like the look of the iphone 6/6s but its the cost thats putting me off, although saying that my dual sim 950 cost me gbp375 and its not a good experience. im on build .71 and its got worse to the point of harging it several times a day. that cant be right. im constantly looking to see if any new builds are released. with the iphone 7 due to be released soon then perhaps the 6s will drop. although CEX offers me just over gbp150 for my lumia950 !!! its two months old.

dimatador

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
MS screwed it all up!!

Hi there everyone! With great sadness I'm here to say good bye to the OS that I have falling in love with for 5 years. I stuck through the many changes,bought soon many phones (got in a lot of trouble from the wife for it) finally it's time to say good bye to my beloved windows phone!! I'm not leaving it behind cuss I don't like it or disappointed but cuss MS did give up on it many years ago and people like me stuck around in the hope that MS would step up and show some love,it has not happen. Sad day cuss today I finally call my service provider (rogers) and order a none windows phone something I have not done in 6 years. MS you screw this up....... I hope you learn the hard way !! See you later windows phone I hope we meet again!

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: MS screwed it all up!!

Hi there everyone! With great sadness I'm here to say good bye to the OS that I have falling in love with for 5 years. I stuck through the many changes,bought soon many phones (got in a lot of trouble from the wife for it) finally it's time to say good bye to my beloved windows phone!! I'm not leaving it behind cuss I don't like it or disappointed but cuss MS did give up on it many years ago and people like me stuck around in the hope that MS would step up and show some love,it has not happen. Sad day cuss today I finally call my service provider (rogers) and order a none windows phone something I have not done in 6 years. MS you screw this up....... I hope you learn the hard way !! See you later windows phone I hope we meet again!

And off goes out valiant hero dimatador into the wilderness to find fame and fortune. He's given it the best effort one can to find joy, peace and serenity and at the same time keep his family together. There is nothing more disconcerting than to find yourself on the living room sofa holding not your wife but your Windows phone. Swearing to the phone gods of how they deceived you into thinking that you could snapchat with your friends and comrades only to find yourself staring into the abyss with an unshaven mask and furrowed brow.

Take up your sword dimatador, mount your steed and tarry forth into the night. Stop at nothing and find your smart phone, bring it back to your quarters and regain the trust, love and respect of your family. Because only you dimatador know what is truly worthy of your monthly deposits of gold coin.

Go I say. Take up your rations, cloven thy hoves, sharpen and sheath your sword and go. And when you arrive at your destination, send word by carrier that you have settled a new encampment. Show us all how your family has grown all because you are no longer relegated to the kitchen and or communal quarters of your home. Smile and be joyful that not only can to snapchat but stand thousands if not millions of others that share a "similar similarity". I don't know what that means but you get the point dimatador. If you don't, take up your new smart phone and inquire. I wish you well on your journey!
into the forest.png

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
After 3 years on WP I'm making the switch back to Android. Got the Nexus 5X coming. Not sure what I'll do with the Lumia 830 might keep it around out of curiosity to see how W10M progresses but I'm not going to hold out on having good quality apps any longer.
I say that you should keep it around. I recently got my 5x and I'm liking it so far. I am just keeping my 640 for the time being, since I am doing a trial for a week to see how I like Android.

So I think I'm going to be "going Belfiore" at least for a while. I picked up a cheap Android phone to play around with since I hadn't used one since the Froyo/Gingerbread days. (I grabbed the Blue Vivo XL when Best Buy had the $99 sale last weekend). Been a nice experience so far, and I've got it loaded with MS apps, so I guess that makes it an "Android Pro".

I think this is going to be my daily driver for the time being (I'll be keeping my 640 as a backup and W10M test phone - I really do like Windows Phone/Mobile and hope MS can eventually get back into the game.). Not only is it nice to have a cornucopia of apps, but since Google added multi-room audio to the Chromecast Audio, I've been testing a pair of them using an iPad that I've got. Nice to be able to control the setup from my phone now. (And I see that Google Play Music has a $14.99/month family plan that allows up to six users. Hard to justify either Groove Music or Spotify for that matter for my family with that price.)

Haha @ going Belfiore! Weirdly enough, I can relate to most of what you have said here, and I also have a 640 too. Android has really changed, whoa.

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've just gone back to using an Android phone after a long hiatus, and I do have a Band 2 as well. I only did a basic setup at this point, loading the Microsoft Health app and pairing the phone with the Band, but it seems to be working so far. I'll be testing it out more over the next week.

Thanks! Highly considering the band 2 @$199 today.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

davidml

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
When my 928 power button took a dive and my contract was almost up I made the switch to Android. Picked up a Nexus 6P and so far I could not be happier. Like some other has stated, it is good to finally have APP's which are written for everyday accessories. Plus now that I have a phone that is not locked to a particular provider ( ATT) I get updated much quicker. I did like the WP interface on both my 920 and 928, plus I liked the wireless charging. The new USB-C is really nice on the Nexus 6P, fast charging is a plus. If or when this phone craps out I may give WP another look, it all depends if there are good APP's written for consumer accessories.

leehab

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I am happy with my 1520 and still do Not see anything to replace it with . I will wait another 6 months . The lack of Apps will eventually force every one to go with Android . Every new technology coming to market has Apps for Android and IOS . Even Tim Cook said Apple will offer Apps for Android . MS has to do something to turn the table and believe they will . Otherwise why would they spend millions on Maps to improve on it . Also Google has started to offer auto update OTA with its new phones which is a huge deal so when I switch that is what I will get and NO Samsung which takes forever to put updates through .
So let's see MS will do

mouldywhale

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Goodbye

I was one of the lucky few to be given a 950 and display dock by Microsoft, i have tested 10 mobile for a long time but alas no more. It's not good enough and they are not trying hard enough, so I sold it, bought an Amazon fire phone, rooted it and installed slimkat 4.4 and I don't think I will need another phone this year, brilliant hardware and software for ?60. Just a real shame, gave Microsoft all the chances and they did not come through.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Goodbye

I was one of the lucky few to be given a 950 and display dock by Microsoft, i have tested 10 mobile for a long time but alas no more. It's not good enough and they are not trying hard enough, so I sold it, bought an Amazon fire phone, rooted it and installed slimkat 4.4 and I don't think I will need another phone this year, brilliant hardware and software for ?60. Just a real shame, gave Microsoft all the chances and they did not come through.

You are an ambitious one to do all of that. At least you got to try before buying with the 950.

ssimmmo77

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Goodbye windows phone

So I stupidly dropped my Nokia lumia 830 in my washing bowl as it was early morning and I was getting the kids ready for breakfast. Two hours later wonder where my phone is retrace my steps yes found in my washing bowl along with various other dishes and cups lol I enjoyed my experience with windows phone not having to worry what go on it only have stock keyboard I can't back it up and root lol I couldn't flash it with a new rom it was just a phone that was perfect but it did lack in app I now for a android phone but seem to have downloaded nearly every Microsoft app on the play store just so I can be but close to windows phone experience but I am missing something where is the cortana app on android I can't find it lol

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Goodbye windows phone

So I stupidly dropped my Nokia lumia 830 in my washing bowl as it was early morning and I was getting the kids ready for breakfast. Two hours later wonder where my phone is retrace my steps yes found in my washing bowl along with various other dishes and cups lol I enjoyed my experience with windows phone not having to worry what go on it only have stock keyboard I can't back it up and root lol I couldn't flash it with a new rom it was just a phone that was perfect but it did lack in app I now for a android phone but seem to have downloaded nearly every Microsoft app on the play store just so I can be but close to windows phone experience but I am missing something where is the cortana app on android I can't find it lol

You can try searching for Bing, and Cortana will be a suggested app.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site

glad i found this thread! my first smartphone ever was a 520, I liked it so much I bought a 1020 from att--now i am with Verizon I have a icon and 735, love them a lot- I know no other platforms, I have played with my families iphones and despise them, they are horrid- like a lot of others I am torn, it sucks not having banking apps and such. using ie is pia --been thinking of buying a nexus 6p but tbh I pretty freaked out about leaving, I only have ever had a windows phone--never in my life would I have ever thought a cell phone would mean so much to me but It keeps in touch with family easily, keeps me organized, I never miss an appt. or mess up my bank accts. or lose work stuff--I cant justify buying a lumia 950 and still not have the apps I need and want--so confused!

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

And im guessing you really miss one thing!!! "LIVE TILES" No widget can replace them.

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Started using wp in 2012. First one was the 510.I will not leave w10m until it's dead or somethin(which not happen anytime soon). Coz of that futuristic look and feel of the ui and live tiles.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

glad i found this thread! my first smartphone ever was a 520, I liked it so much I bought a 1020 from att--now i am with Verizon I have a icon and 735, love them a lot- I know no other platforms, I have played with my families iphones and despise them, they are horrid- like a lot of others I am torn, it sucks not having banking apps and such. using ie is pia --been thinking of buying a nexus 6p but tbh I pretty freaked out about leaving, I only have ever had a windows phone--never in my life would I have ever thought a cell phone would mean so much to me but It keeps in touch with family easily, keeps me organized, I never miss an appt. or mess up my bank accts. or lose work stuff--I cant justify buying a lumia 950 and still not have the apps I need and want--so confused!

Weigh everything. Also right now, the nexus 6p has a nice promo going on.

glossallalia

May 17, 2013
Visit site
After 3 years with WP I jumped over to IOS and the difference is night and day. The final straw as an insider fast ring was the constant crash/reload of browser, some apps, the lagging performance, and the hotspot issue that never got fixed over the last four or five updates.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
After 3 years with WP I jumped over to IOS and the difference is night and day. The final straw as an insider fast ring was the constant crash/reload of browser, some apps, the lagging performance, and the hotspot issue that never got fixed over the last four or five updates.

Wow. Yeah, I see this in apps myself, including one that I use everyday. As I told my brother, it's hard to want to go back to eating the crust (since it's all you got), when you have a choice to eat a whole slice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro