Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Bye bye to my 950 XL...

Sad to see you go, but the time comes for everyone to move on.

Since you are selling it anyways. You can try a few things if you have not done so already.

Use Windows Device Recovery and restore it to factory. Set it up again and do not opt to restore from backup. Do all updates. Copy the video directly to the phone itself, not the SD chip. Try playing the video again using those apps you tried before.

I have a 14GB 1080p MKV file on my SD chip. It plays fine most of the time using VLC. I am using latest insider build also. Latest build makes VLC unstable. Hoping for updates.

renaisandi

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I've been using android since 2010, and It's been a few weeks since I try windows mobile and surprisingly, I'm very satisfied with 640 xl, no lag, no heating issue, no crashing apps, fine battery life, etc. Yeah, I'm not getting tons of apps like in the play store, but I have all what I need :)

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

I too am disappointed in all I've seen and read about the 950XL, I was eagerly awaiting its arrival since sept, MS screwed up both of my Pre-orders and now thankful they did(had the Note 4 previously also), I 've had the 640XL and presently 1520 thinking I'd wait until MS straightened out the 950XL, Win 10 and Win 10's battery drain issues has compared to either the 640XL & 1520 but I don't see either issue has been corrected to the point I'd jump in..
Now I'm 99% sure I'm going for the new Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge when its released next week, it has awesome specs, SD card is back, increased battery by 1,000 mAh, 5.5" edge display which to me is the perfect size AND the S7 Edge is a TRUE flagship phone in looks, styling and obviously feel which the 950XL fell WELL short of.. Best Buy is even throwing in a Virtual Reality headset AND 64Gb SD card for free with pre-orders.
I really thought Windows had me back :(

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site

That's entirely the problem. The phone should not have been released until it was stable. I'd shoot the QA people as they're the ones responsible for loosing market share, etc.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

I play full HD/2k movies from my SD card with no issues.(use movies and tv app)

What firmware are you running? Are you on firmware 15506 and os .107?

Have you tried the infamous hard reset with no restore of backup? Start fresh without anything carrying over from backup?

If something as simple as that could help then maybe it will change your mind. And if not you should hard reset before selling anyways.

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site

That's entirely the problem. The phone should not have been released until it was stable. I'd shoot the QA people as they're the ones responsible for loosing market share, etc.
I disagree. I, personally, am perfectly satisfied and love being an unpaid beta tester named insider. Nobody forces anybody to buy the products or be an insider, right? Or is that different, where you live? ;) ;)

Martog

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

I'm honestly in the same boat with wanting to depart from the WP/WM ecosystem. I switched from Verizon to AT&T, got the 1520 to replace my Icon and that phone was great. I flipped because I was wanting the 950 XL when it came out so I pre-ordered it and everything, had it since day one, battery is all over the place, I had some serious issues with the Outlook mail apps and my office 365 online exchange and office exchange accounts, phone randomly reboots (it locked up yesterday on a FB notification). I dipped my toes in with the Lumia 822 and didn't like the OS at the time, got the 928 and flipped from iOS completely and stayed onboard. I really liked my 928 and Icon (despite the Icon's WiFi issues) but this 950 XL is just not doing it for me anymore.

I've done two hard resets without restoring data and still have issues, I've played with Hey Cortana, Windows Hello, and other things to at least increase battery and it's just not doing it for me. I guess I could see if MS will replace the phone, but really feeling like a beta tester here and I'm fine beta testing stuff to a point, but I'd rather do it on a non-daily driver (I have a 640 I run early builds on) so I might have to say goodbye and pickup something like the Nexus 6P (Don't really want to go Android, but stock is better than carrier branded locked phones with seldom updates and not keen on going back to iOS).

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site

I disagree. I, personally, am perfectly satisfied and love being an unpaid beta tester named insider. Nobody forces anybody to buy the products or be an insider, right? Or is that different, where you live? ;) ;)

If you buy a product it should be fit for purpose. There's far too many people on this forum who have issues with basic stuff. Hell they haven't officially released WM10 mobile so why make a phone that's running the beta? They've lost massive amounts of market share and they're going to loose more by releasing something that isn't a stable enough product to be considered a daily phone.

Notifications are essential and should work consistently
The phones random heating up
The battery drains
Bluetooth issues
Random reboots

The above is just a few things I've seen on this forum. These are the first things you actually check when you're building something. If I built a PC and it had those problems I wouldn't use the OS. As I said I'd shoot the QA team.

NokianWP

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

Originally posted by Captpt

Now I'm 99% sure I'm going for the new Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge when its released next week, it has awesome specs, SD card is back, increased battery by 1,000 mAh, 5.5" edge display which to me is the perfect size AND the S7 Edge is a TRUE flagship phone in looks, styling and obviously feel which the 950XL fell WELL short of.. Best Buy is even throwing in a Virtual Reality headset AND 64Gb SD card for free with pre-orders.

I saw the S7. And it looks like a decent phone. But that's the thing: It's just another piece of plastic and metal, that's going to fall on the wayside in 2-3 years.

For me, it's boiled down to OS. I love my Samsung galaxy tab 4. But seeing the OS support (Samsung just pushed out the Stagefright fix about 2 weeks ago. I was surprised they even bothered) and the way the actual OS responds, I'm never buying another Android device again.

Same thing with my iTouch. It's a decent device. That got slowed down by updates and butchered by iOS 7 and above. My 920 may be old and not as fast as it was, but it's still stable, fast enough, and ...idk. Appealing. I keep changing my Tab 4's design and everything, but it never seems to be more interesting for me. I've spent time on every OS, and I've decided I'm sticking with WM unless iOS or Droid up their game by a ton.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I'm officially done with my 950 XL, I've decided to sell it today, I had it since December and I've been patiently waiting for my specific problem to be fixed, it's basically the horrible stuttering whilst screen mirroring and listening to the audio of the movie via Bluetooth headset, I've tried EVERY video player app from the store since December and none play smoothly, lots of lag and stutter, I can't believe my Note 4 plays smoothly whilst screen mirroring and Bluetooth at the same time, and the shocking part is the 950 XL is supposedly better in specs!!, so I wonder why the hell it can't handle this!

Have you installed the latest updates?

If the issues still persist then you either have a faulty unit or just a part of the few who haven't had much luck with their phones at all (not all phones are built in the same factory).

Never the less, how much are you looking to sell it for?

I'm sure someone in the Windows Central Marketplace would be happy to snap it up :).

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site

I bought my phone a few weeks ago and have had very few issues with it. The 950XL replaced my HTC M9. Can't say I miss Android. Currently on the fast ring insider program. Received .1004 yesterday. All seems to be running ok. Don't have the latest firmware installed yet. Waiting for Australia to get it.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

I saw the S7. And it looks like a decent phone. But that's the thing: It's just another piece of plastic and metal, that's going to fall on the wayside in 2-3 year.

I said the S7 Edge not the S7... Decent phone???? Curious what do you consider a great phone?? Absolutely not being argumentative but Really??
As for 2-3 years, I'd bet 90% of smartphone users replace they're phone by year 3.. Me, every 2 years..

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

I said the S7 Edge not the S7... Decent phone???? Curious what do you consider a great phone?? Absolutely not being argumentative but Really??
As for 2-3 years, I'd bet 90% of smartphone users replace they're phone by year 3.. Me, every 2 years..

Be cautious with a Samsung. I was an avid fan. But, and they are known for it, and are currently at the centre of a legal battle regarding one specific issue. For years now they dropped updates for a device after 12 months or so, usually when a new device is released. Having glanced over the case this began, in earnest, from the S3 on and eventually, most of the galaxy range. So your shiny device could end up stuck with an outdated OS in a year. You can't even go to XDA and flash a rom as you would 'blow' the Knox digital fuse, rendering a warranty claim useless as they wouldn't warranty it as you had 'tinkered' with it. Ironic in the EU where they give a two year warranty!!

And then there's the bloat, which you can't ditch properly. You have to root. Then you can't use banking, streaming tv etc. Even 'hiding' root won't work for banking ups.

Anyway, be cautious. The grass isn't always greener....

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I too am disappointed in all I've seen and read about the 950XL, I was eagerly awaiting its arrival since sept, MS screwed up both of my Pre-orders and now thankful they did(had the Note 4 previously also), I 've had the 640XL and presently 1520 thinking I'd wait until MS straightened out the 950XL, Win 10 and Win 10's battery drain issues has compared to either the 640XL & 1520 but I don't see either issue has been corrected to the point I'd jump in..

I've had the 950 XL since Thanksgiving and have never had any issues with massive battery drain. I've seen it consistently get better. However, if you don't like the look and feel, can't change your mind on that. But just saying, for everyone who says the OS is horrible and has no battery life, there's at least 2-3 people who say the opposite. Most of the early software/OS complaints have been fixed anyways. I've noticed improved stability. However, I never had many major issues. I did have a few random restarts from time to time, but honestly, I had those even on a unlocked Nexus 6 (I also had other issues with that phone too, but I digress).

Also keep in mind those who are satisfied are almost never as loud as those who complain. There are plenty of people who are satisfied with their 950/XL's on these forums. If you do go with the S7 Edge, I don't blame you and hope you enjoy it! Looks like Samsung generally backtracked from all of their mess-ups with the S6 Edge.

What about that major memory bug on the S6 Edge last year I believe? Samsung, Android, and even iOS phones aren't immune from massive bugs on launch. Actually, all manufacturers have been very prone to those as of late.

If you buy a product it should be fit for purpose. There's far too many people on this forum who have issues with basic stuff. Hell they haven't officially released WM10 mobile so why make a phone that's running the beta? They've lost massive amounts of market share and they're going to loose more by releasing something that isn't a stable enough product to be considered a daily phone.

Notifications are essential and should work consistently
The phones random heating up
The battery drains
Bluetooth issues
Random reboots

The above is just a few things I've seen on this forum. These are the first things you actually check when you're building something. If I built a PC and it had those problems I wouldn't use the OS. As I said I'd shoot the QA team.

All issues I've had with Android phones over the year. I'm breaking my own rule of justifying bad with more bad, but it's the truth. I've always had better battery life with WP over Android and I use my phone consistently all day at work every day. With a Nexus 6 I was lucky to be above 20% without having to charge my phone. In fact, most days I had to charge my phone at least once during the day. With a Lumia Icon previously, and now a 950 XL, I consistently can leave at the end of the day with 40-60% battery remaining without a single charge. Even on my off days I rarely have to plug 950 XL when I'm out, with my Nexus I was finding a charger at least 2-3 times throughout the day or had my phone on the car charger every time I got in my car. Literally almost never happens now with my XL.

Sorry for the quick spam of posts everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

What about that major memory bug on the S6 Edge last year I believe? Samsung, Android, and even iOS phones aren't immune from massive bugs on launch. Actually, all manufacturers have been very prone to those as of late.

It did, was reported in May and the fix was released mid-June.. I felt the battery drain issues of Win 10 vs 8.1 first hand when I ran multiple versions of Insiders releases and sadly the difference was big enough I never gave running Insiders W10 on my 1520.. I am also sad to add App availability is rearing its ugly head too in my decision making :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)