Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Bye bye to my 950 XL...

Wow, I dont think I've kept anything for 5 years.. Even a car.. or a house..
My wife is getting close to 5 years though, not sure what to do :)

wow, you're tough, time to trade your wife....LOL

beside, that is what those phone maker wanted the people to do, change every year or so. which is ******* me off. have you ever change your home phone (if you have one) every 1-2 years?
buying something that cost $600 to 1000.00 is not something that should be changed every year. that is ridiculous. The average of people doesn't have that kind of money.

antremaine

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site

It did, was reported in May and the fix was released mid-June.. I felt the battery drain issues of Win 10 vs 8.1 first hand when I ran multiple versions of Insiders releases and sadly the difference was big enough I never gave running Insiders W10 on my 1520.. I am also sad to add App availability is rearing its ugly head too in my decision making :(

I just came from android and I don't miss the apps yet. Most of the apps I had I could use the website and usually the website has more options and functionality. I have a nexus 6p and been android for 6 years and I'm thinking of changing ecosystems. Picked up a 640 for 30 bucks and put 10 on it and this thing is awesome, couldn't imagine what this OS is like on the 950xl. Btw I've messed with all 3 major OS's and I'm liking windows more and more.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

DUDE, get a better setup. Goodluck with Android, cuz IOS doesnt do screen mirroring.

I'm officially done with my 950 XL, I've decided to sell it today, I had it since December and I've been patiently waiting for my specific problem to be fixed, it's basically the horrible stuttering whilst screen mirroring and listening to the audio of the movie via Bluetooth headset, I've tried EVERY video player app from the store since December and none play smoothly, lots of lag and stutter, I can't believe my Note 4 plays smoothly whilst screen mirroring and Bluetooth at the same time, and the shocking part is the 950 XL is supposedly better in specs!!, so I wonder why the hell it can't handle this!

Sarveshwar

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site

I can see Microsoft is working hard to launch new updates to fix the problems, we need to be patient for get a robust OS

Oh. You mean:

1. Buy the expensive device.
2. Wait for first update that solves release day issues and introduces 'first update' issues.
3. Wait for second update that solves 'first update' issues and introduces 'second update' issues.
4. Wait for third update that solves 'second update' issues and introduces 'third update' issues.
5. Wait for fourth update that ...
6. The support for the phone is over.
7. Goto Step 1.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Oh. You mean:

1. Buy the expensive device.
2. Wait for first update that solves release day issues and introduces 'first update' issues.
3. Wait for second update that solves 'first update' issues and introduces 'second update' issues.
4. Wait for third update that solves 'second update' issues and introduces 'third update' issues.
5. Wait for fourth update that ...
6. The support for the phone is over.
7. Goto Step 1.

LOL, Sound about right

Saikat Halder

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
read more than 150 comments. I am from india, i use Lumia 720 with denim update. its 34 months old. gives 1.5 day battery back up thats the best part. recently it has become slow. did hard reset, it works fine now. whatsapp crashes, bing news is slow, fb app is a total mess. no local apps in india, no amex app, no housing app. its kind of irritating.. saw the new xaoimi mi 5, you have to agree that it is an awesome phone. i never used android, L 720 is my first smart phone, I need a new phone in next 3 months. I was planning to buy Lumia 950, now I am confused between 950 and xaomi mi 5, I cant afford i phone now. and i dont like any other OS apart from wp. but read so many negative comments about 950/xl. i dont need any more trouble. Lumia 720 gives me enough trouble. so tell what to do? buy 950? or buy xaomi mi 5, mi 5 is less than half what L950 costs...i dont play games, i am a business user, outlook, one note, office 365, news, finance, music, chat, video, youtube thats it...suggest me a phone.
i love mobile photography, and thats why i love lumia so much. app gap is not a major issue for me. btw i use laptop with win 10 and totally in love wid it, laptop has 2 gb ram with i3 processor but still works very fast without any issue..so i like win 10, people saying mi 5 can be loaded with win 10...wat to do now?

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
just want to say goodbye and thanks for all the help and advice.

been losing the will to live with my lumia 950, battery life random lock ups etc , basically im going ot switch to the new S7 edge. Just want to thank everyone for the help and advice over the last few months. im going with a heavy heart so to speak, im sure i'll be back, i wish i had waited before going to windows 10. my wife still has the 640 and daughter has the 550. I loved 8.1.

apart from saying thankyou, ive got a few days to wait til the s7 is released and ive sold my lumia 950 on ebay so is there a way i can store the contacts i have somewhere to put on the samsung at some stage?

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
read more than 150 comments. I am from india, i use Lumia 720 with denim update. its 34 months old. gives 1.5 day battery back up thats the best part. recently it has become slow. did hard reset, it works fine now. whatsapp crashes, bing news is slow, fb app is a total mess. no local apps in india, no amex app, no housing app. its kind of irritating.. saw the new xaoimi mi 5, you have to agree that it is an awesome phone. i never used android, L 720 is my first smart phone, I need a new phone in next 3 months. I was planning to buy Lumia 950, now I am confused between 950 and xaomi mi 5, I cant afford i phone now. and i dont like any other OS apart from wp. but read so many negative comments about 950/xl. i dont need any more trouble. Lumia 720 gives me enough trouble. so tell what to do? buy 950? or buy xaomi mi 5, mi 5 is less than half what L950 costs...i dont play games, i am a business user, outlook, one note, office 365, news, finance, music, chat, video, youtube thats it...suggest me a phone.
i love mobile photography, and thats why i love lumia so much. app gap is not a major issue for me. btw i use laptop with win 10 and totally in love wid it, laptop has 2 gb ram with i3 processor but still works very fast without any issue..so i like win 10, people saying mi 5 can be loaded with win 10...wat to do now?

only you can decide which way to go

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: just want to say goodbye and thanks for all the help and advice.

been losing the will to live with my lumia 950, battery life random lock ups etc , basically im going ot switch to the new S7 edge. Just want to thank everyone for the help and advice over the last few months. im going with a heavy heart so to speak, im sure i'll be back, i wish i had waited before going to windows 10. my wife still has the 640 and daughter has the 550. I loved 8.1.

apart from saying thankyou, ive got a few days to wait til the s7 is released and ive sold my lumia 950 on ebay so is there a way i can store the contacts i have somewhere to put on the samsung at some stage?
If your contacts are hosted on Outlook, you can import them when you set up the S7.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

If your contacts are hosted on Outlook, you can import them when you set up the S7.

thanks is there a way of backing them up to outlook. ive only ever had windows phones for the last 5 years so just previously used the transfer data from phone to phone

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

I'm thinking of moving to the S7 Edge too, mostly because of the app situation (banking in particular) and I'd like a bigger screen. The M8 for Windows has been a good phone for me since I usually take photos with a DSLR and don't use the camera that much. Maybe I'll keep it as a backup and to keep in touch with Windows phone but we'll see.

PetarSupica

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site

For any android phone You will need google account, so You can now create one (if You don't have it) , add it to Your WP, and sync Your contacts
with google account.

PetarSupica

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site

I am not an android fan, but must admit that how the problems are fixed in wm10 , its too slooow.
Viber is working like on 8 years old htc dream, bluetooth handsfree in car is so silent... resuming screens.
My doughter changed her phone, so she gave me her old Nexus 5 (1st gen). Man.... new android 6.01 is realy fast.
and smooth. I am not sure what am I expecting from wm10, but 2.5 year old device, which google support 100% is at least 2 times faster than
L950, and 5 times faster than L550, even in microsoft apps, like excel, skype. In viber its 20X.

Its nexus, without samsung/LG bloatware , but made me think again, is it worth waiting for wm10?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
For any android phone You will need google account, so You can now create one (if You don't have it) , add it to Your WP, and sync Your contacts
with google account.

I agree about the Google account. However after making it, all I had to do was set up my outlook accounts as an exchange account and I was given the option to import my contacts. If your contacts are in the cloud, you don't have to do anything more.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

rockythunder

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Had enough with the crashes and lack of apps on my L920. Deciding between the Galaxy S7 and iPhone 6s and a big deciding factor is Microsoft's apps on those phones. Are Microsoft apps better on iOS or Android? Thanks in advance!

Amit Gogna

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I plan to move to iPnone 6s Plus 64 GB in the near future (maybe 2 months). Have Been a hardcore Nokia fan uptill now. Not that I am in any kind unsatisfied with my Lumia 930, but I am thinking of rather trying iPhone as still, after so many months and years, limited apps are available on WP and much more on iPhone. The look, weight, available accessories, apps and mostly praises have diverted me from my decision to stay with WP. I will not be giving up my L930 but will not wait for any more MS flagships (They already seem too late!!). Never would like to go with Android as it is an Android (So, no Shyam Singhs for me!!!). After keeping iPhone for next few months will decide between iPhone and WP (in case Surface Phones are launched and are within budget).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Had enough with the crashes and lack of apps on my L920. Deciding between the Galaxy S7 and iPhone 6s and a big deciding factor is Microsoft's apps on those phones. Are Microsoft apps better on iOS or Android? Thanks in advance!
They are better, aside from Cortana, of course. Groove isn't as good on Android. I have heard that it is a little bit easier to integrate Microsoft's apps on iOS over Android. I haven't had a chance to try this yet myself.

I plan to move to iPnone 6s Plus 64 GB in the near future (maybe 2 months). Have Been a hardcore Nokia fan uptill now. Not that I am in any kind unsatisfied with my Lumia 930, but I am thinking of rather trying iPhone as still, after so many months and years, limited apps are available on WP and much more on iPhone. The look, weight, available accessories, apps and mostly praises have diverted me from my decision to stay with WP. I will not be giving up my L930 but will not wait for any more MS flagships (They already seem too late!!). Never would like to go with Android as it is an Android (So, no Shyam Singhs for me!!!). After keeping iPhone for next few months will decide between iPhone and WP (in case Surface Phones are launched and are within budget).

I recommend trying it, you don't lose much by doing so. I wish that I did it earlier. I still have my 640, I just don't use it. I'm trying Android right now, but I'll be trying iOS more very soon.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I recommend trying it, you don't lose much by doing so. I wish that I did it earlier. I still have my 640, I just don't use it. I'm trying Android right now, but I'll be trying iOS more very soon.
Hey LLibra, which Android are you trying now?? Went to AT&T today and played with a S7 Edge, damn it was lightning fast, my last Android phone was the Note 4 which I thought was a tad quicker then my 1520 but the Edge was A LOT faster then either and next to the 950XL I did a side by side and the Edge out performed it, especially surfing the net, pages loaded MUCH faster. I just can't do a iPhone, just can't LOL plus they still don't have wireless charging!!!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey LLibra, which Android are you trying now?? Went to AT&T today and played with a S7 Edge, damn it was lightning fast, my last Android phone was the Note 4 which I thought was a tad quicker then my 1520 but the Edge was A LOT faster then either and next to the 950XL I did a side by side and the Edge out performed it, especially surfing the net, pages loaded MUCH faster. I just can't do a iPhone, just can't LOL plus they still don't have wireless charging!!!
I'm sure that the S7 edge is probably awesome! Right now, I have been trying the Nexus 5x and I have liked it a lot. I'm still debating on if I will keep it though. Nothing against the phone, just Android quirks like not having a way to totally silence all sounds and vibrations without setting DND. It also doesn't have wireless charging, but I think the Nexus 6 does.

That's understandable that you feel that way. It sounds like the answer is front of you to give it a try! I just want and desire simplicity, which Android, isn't as simple for me. WP is right in the middle of simple, but customizable. I just need to see how iOS is to decide if I will keep the Nexus or not.

plast 0000

May 18, 2014
Visit site
my Lumia 1320 was the first smartphone for me to own, I used to use Symbian S60 till I got my Lumia
Lumia 1320 is basically a Lumia 920 + a large screen, a larger battery but a bad camera
I was really happy with it till I upgraded to Lumia Cyan, after upgrading, my love for it began to decrease gradually, this is because of the overheating issues caused by the new firmware, it would overheat then turn off then restart then turn off in an endless loop while recharging, since recharging develops heat in the charger brick and in the phone, I loved Windows Phone and I'm longing for Windows 10, but my next device will be an iPhone, I'm switching because I want to use something different, but I will be coming back for sure in the next few years when the Surface phone is mainstream

what I enjoyed: the smoothness and security of the OS, Cortana, Universal apps, the amazing keyboard, THE TILES,...and other things that I can't remember
what I disliked: most 3rd party apps are missing, while it I didn't actually need them myself, but others did, and they left the platform since support wasn't there, the marketshare's been down just because of that, the whole thing runs in this loop: (there's no big marketshare because there're no apps because the marketshare is low because there're no apps because the marketshare is low because there're no apps because the marketshare is low)
and it's never done, MS should've released that platform during 2008, so it would get it's fair share of apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad