Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAquila

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I have been using Lumia 525 since 2014. It was my first non-Symbian phone. I was totally amazed by it's build quality, surviving numerous falls without even a dent, and WP8 was perfect for me. Then WP8.1 came, and frankly, I thought it was an improvement over WP8. I am planning to buy a new phone. I was planning to go for the 650, but the 640 has better specs. Now I am torn between going for a phone with more powerful but older chipset and a newer but less powerful chipset. The only other new Lumia, the 950, is costly as hell in India. So even though I'm not a fan of Android, I plan to go for the Nexus 5X.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
read more than 150 comments. I am from india, i use Lumia 720 with denim update. its 34 months old. gives 1.5 day battery back up thats the best part. recently it has become slow. did hard reset, it works fine now. whatsapp crashes, bing news is slow, fb app is a total mess. no local apps in india, no amex app, no housing app. its kind of irritating.. saw the new xaoimi mi 5, you have to agree that it is an awesome phone. i never used android, L 720 is my first smart phone, I need a new phone in next 3 months. I was planning to buy Lumia 950, now I am confused between 950 and xaomi mi 5, I cant afford i phone now. and i dont like any other OS apart from wp. but read so many negative comments about 950/xl. i dont need any more trouble. Lumia 720 gives me enough trouble. so tell what to do? buy 950? or buy xaomi mi 5, mi 5 is less than half what L950 costs...i dont play games, i am a business user, outlook, one note, office 365, news, finance, music, chat, video, youtube thats it...suggest me a phone.
i love mobile photography, and thats why i love lumia so much. app gap is not a major issue for me. btw i use laptop with win 10 and totally in love wid it, laptop has 2 gb ram with i3 processor but still works very fast without any issue..so i like win 10, people saying mi 5 can be loaded with win 10...wat to do now?

Is your final decision that counts. But if I were you, I will get Android than windows phone. I'm totally disappointed with the apps selection and availability with this platform. Since you are not a gamer, any moderate Android phone will be good. No point spending so much on a 950 which can't even satisfy your daily needs.

Clodi95

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
read more than 150 comments. I am from india, i use Lumia 720 with denim update. its 34 months old. gives 1.5 day battery back up thats the best part. recently it has become slow. did hard reset, it works fine now. whatsapp crashes, bing news is slow, fb app is a total mess. no local apps in india, no amex app, no housing app. its kind of irritating.. saw the new xaoimi mi 5, you have to agree that it is an awesome phone. i never used android, L 720 is my first smart phone, I need a new phone in next 3 months. I was planning to buy Lumia 950, now I am confused between 950 and xaomi mi 5, I cant afford i phone now. and i dont like any other OS apart from wp. but read so many negative comments about 950/xl. i dont need any more trouble. Lumia 720 gives me enough trouble. so tell what to do? buy 950? or buy xaomi mi 5, mi 5 is less than half what L950 costs...i dont play games, i am a business user, outlook, one note, office 365, news, finance, music, chat, video, youtube thats it...suggest me a phone.
i love mobile photography, and thats why i love lumia so much. app gap is not a major issue for me. btw i use laptop with win 10 and totally in love wid it, laptop has 2 gb ram with i3 processor but still works very fast without any issue..so i like win 10, people saying mi 5 can be loaded with win 10...wat to do now?
I think the Lumia 950 would be ideal for you:
- it possibly has the best camera in a smartphone
- you know you like W10
- app gap doesn't matter to you
- you said you want a business phone: MS announced their intention to focus on business people with their smartphones, so we'll see future updates oriented in this direction...

This said, it's true that, as of now, the Lumia 950 has lots of problems, but they're all SOFTWARE-related. That means, they can be fixed with updates (and partly that happened already). But yeah... they CAN be fixed, nothing assures they WILL. AND the Xiaomi Mi5 really IS a fantastic phone. Nobody but you can tell whether it's better Android or Windows, because -if app gap is not important to you- it's a pure personal preference.

So, if you're curious and want to give Android a try, get the Xiaomi Mi5. It's a good phone, and Android is a very mature system which runs perfectly fine just like WP8.1 does. Oh, and if you don't like Android you can always install W10M on it. It's not officialy confirmed yet, but it's very likely.

On the other hand, it's true that Lumia 950 has lots of problems but I wouldn't worry too much about them, because they're all software-related. And appearance of the phone can be greatly improved with a Mozo cover.

Here's what I would do: try Android then decide. Oh, and wait to see if W10M's stability improves with newer updates...

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure that the S7 edge is probably awesome! Right now, I have been trying the Nexus 5x and I have liked it a lot. I'm still debating on if I will keep it though. Nothing against the phone, just Android quirks like not having a way to totally silence all sounds and vibrations without setting DND. It also doesn't have wireless charging, but I think the Nexus 6 does..

Ahhh Nexus phones are great, the Nexus 6P looks very nice, I'm not totally locked into the Edge quite yet but I am sure I am leaving Windows phones.. Having android in the past I never had a issue with letting only my Calls and Texts as my only sounds for notifications, strange your having that issue?? Even if you go into each app you don't want sounds from there isn't a setting to have no sound or notification??
Another point that I'm looking into is sound quality with headphones, I listen to a lot of music using my phone with 2 sets of very good headphones and this is another area windows phones fall short, I have a old iPhone 4 which I've been using for this because for sound quality it frankly blows the Windows phones out of the water and we're talking about a 4 year old phone... I tested the 950 against it and it was no better then my 1520, still I don't think I can live with a iphone for my daily driver..

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I'll chime in on this...

I've given serious thought about going back to apples cruel world. I love loved my 1520.. And I'm considering switching to a 640 to bide my time until end of contract and then it's off to a 950 or iPhone.. honestly the part that bugs me the most is the app gap. But on the flip side i use my phone for business. I do have an iPad ifni want to play but I wish Microsoft would close up this huge app gap. I really do love windows phone.

Also I saw a comment above sorry I didn't quote it but I didn't realize there was a difference in audio. I too listen to a lot of music at work but i thought with headphones it was quality on those nit sure how a phone could change audio?? Just curious.

For those of you who have left windows phone to go to apples cruel world. Happy or not? the only thing keeping me on windows phone is like I said business l. Cortana works beautifully in the car and that's wherebi use it the most. Siri doesn't have anything on Cortana

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Ahhh Nexus phones are great, the Nexus 6P looks very nice, I'm not totally locked into the Edge quite yet but I am sure I am leaving Windows phones.. Having android in the past I never had a issue with letting only my Calls and Texts as my only sounds for notifications, strange your having that issue?? Even if you go into each app you don't want sounds from there isn't a setting to have no sound or notification??
Another point that I'm looking into is sound quality with headphones, I listen to a lot of music using my phone with 2 sets of very good headphones and this is another area windows phones fall short, I have a old iPhone 4 which I've been using for this because for sound quality it frankly blows the Windows phones out of the water and we're talking about a 4 year old phone... I tested the 950 against it and it was no better then my 1520, still I don't think I can live with a iphone for my daily driver..

For the sound thing, I meant like on Windows phone, you can easily silence all sounds and vibrations. On Android, if you set the ringer to silent, it automatically vibrates when you get a phone call, even though I have vibration off. I hate that so much. If there's a way to shut that down altogether without DND, that would be great. The iPhone has a kill switch, which is great (and a big plus to me). It is really awkward to have your phone on a table so it can Doze and then it vibrates. Also Doze is great, but doesn't work very well in a pocket, it works for flat surfaces. Great for sleeping, and when I'm not moving as much at work, but that isn't something that happens so much daily. This is something I never had to worry about when I was using wp. I can always be sure that I am still saving battery while it's in my pocket.

Wow at having better sound quality! That is really important. I think the 6p would be solid then.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Been with WP (Nokia Icon) for two years but I'm bailing back to android. Actually I don't really want to ..... my Icon has been the best phone I've ever had. Loved almost everything about it. It was also my first Windows Phone (hopefully not my last). So why am I going back to android? Two primary reasons:
1: Lack of support by Verizon (I'm 100% handcuffed to Verizon's network....no other choices for the areas I travel for work) Verizon has shown total disdain for WP. I hate it but nothing I can do about it (besides ***** at Verizon....which I've done).
2: Apps.....yep, after two years it's finally caught up with me. There have always been apps I've gone without because of WP but never anything I "had to have".....well enough is enough and there are now apps I have to have that are not supported on WP.

Hopefully I'll be back someday (but it doesn't look promising).

CombatRock

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I have till July to see if MS can turn this around. If not, going for the iPhone 6s Plus or iPhone 7. Mainly due to Verizon crapping on Windows Phone and the apps. Really needed some while on vacation in Florida that WP does not offer but the other platforms does.

kangeles

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: just want to say goodbye and thanks for all the help and advice.

Good luck. After years of use (since day one on Samsung Focus) and many many devices (Focus, HD7S, Titan, TitanII, 920, 1520, 830, and finally 950 I decided I had to switch. I bought a house and I quickly understood the issue of app gap re: home automation, controls (garage, Sonos), etc. I bought a Samsung S6. Used it for a day and returned it. Beautiful phone and there are some gimmicky things in Android I liked. In the end, I couldn't make do with the Android versions of Microsof apps. Or without my Start Screen and tiles. Unfortunately, my 950 continues to give me issues so I'm not sure what I will do. I bought a crappy ASUS Android phone to manage my home and will get an Android tablet since there aren't apps for my Surface Pro 3, either. :/

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
You know I guess I have the best of two worlds right now I have an iPad and Microsoft phone... So yes the app gap sucks but I always have both with me.

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You know I guess I have the best of two worlds right now I have an iPad and Microsoft phone... So yes the app gap sucks but I always have both with me.

Sent from mTalk
Do you carry both around all the time, or just for certain situations? I have a cousin that has a basic Android and a iPod Touch and she carries both around all the time.

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I sold my iPhone 6Plus and grabbed a 950XL to give W10M a go after trialling on a 640XL and liking it. But now I'm finding I'm going to my iPad more than my phone to do things. I've got a Surface 3 as well, and when I got it I didn't use my iPad at all, as I still had my iPhone. I don't carry my iPad with me, so I'm thinking I'll be going back to iPhone when my contract is up, unless things change. I've got until October to see where things go with Windows, which I feel will be plenty of time.

The 950XL is great, and so is the OS, so in no way am I bagging either, but I'm finding the app gap is getting to be a problem. I tried to ignore it and get by, but it isn't working that well. If things change by October and we start getting iOS ports, and they work well, I'll keep the 950XL. If not, then I'll end the experience and move on.

martynrb

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I love my Lumia 1020 and 1520, but there seems to be no email app on windows phone that will successfully connect to my work email servers.
I bought an Xperia Z5 and cloudmagic/maildroid apps on android download my work email no problem (as does eM Client app on windows desktop)....so what's the deal with WP? It's frustrating....I'd love to stay with my Lumias.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I love my Lumia 1020 and 1520, but there seems to be no email app on windows phone that will successfully connect to my work email servers.
I bought an Xperia Z5 and cloudmagic/maildroid apps on android download my work email no problem (as does eM Client app on windows desktop)....so what's the deal with WP? It's frustrating....I'd love to stay with my Lumias.

besides total lack of quality control...nothing is wrong :)

thorrellius

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Been using Windows Phone since Mango, and currently been using both iPhone and Android from time to time... Not sure about the future, for now, Windows 10m is currently my favourite...

William Bergmann

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Bye bye to my 950 XL...

The reason I have a Windows PC is because it's the toolbox that holds all the tools I need for work and play.

That's the exact same reason I can't use a Windows Phone. As much as I love the UI and the (imo) superior base functionality as far as calling, texting, etc, there are 4-5 apps I use every single day that do not exist in the Windows Phone toolbox. I'm not going to change my bank, my chat platform, etc- especially not when the mothership has failed to maintain a compelling and consistent vision.

When Windows Phone, as a platform, returns to being a platform of now, rather than 'the future', I'll be there.

wisedesi

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
watched video of Official Android 6.0 Marshmallow Review, and still don't like Android. I know windows don't have all the apps people need. I have every all what I need so, I am going to stick with it. Others if you find something else more compelling move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss