Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

james05gt

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I came from android and switched to WP. Started out with the forgotten Lumia 810, Lumia 920 Developer Edition, then the Microsoft 640. I love my Microsoft 640, awesome battery life, performance wise is not too bad, love the loud speaker. I did however have issues with the 640's wifi connection at home, its just slow. All my devices that's connected to my wifi router downloads just fine except for my 640. Had it replaced thinking its a hardware issue but the replacement 640 experienced the same issues so I just sucked it up. I am disappointed that I couldn't save maps to my sdcard for offline navigation, I was really looking forward to that feature on my 640 because my 810 saved maps to the sdcard. I am now back to android and currently using a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and keeping my 640 as a back up. My 640 with a lower battery capacity compared to my Note 4's high battery capacity, kicks my Note 4's butt on battery life! that's for sure. Also I'm able to save maps on my sdcard on android with the Here Maps app and have no wifi issues. I like both platforms, can't wait for the official W10 for my 640 and Marshmallow for my Note 4!

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
settings Everywhere, apps with 1 star rating are in their store too ,its faster to use wp, start screen in wp is so much better and informative.

On the other hand, I ditched windows phone and now on iPhone. Man..... It's really an eye opener after staying with windows phone for so long. Facebook (with new emoticons Likes options), Messenger, Whatsapp, Flipboard, Instagram, official Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, MS office apps, Google apps, Manga rock, Overcast podcast player, Drama players, eBook readers, etc etc... I can go on and on. Every single app is working so much better and smoother than on windows phone! In addition to the vast selection of apps, they are also updated regularly! Unlike apps are like totally dead or even abandoned on windows phone. And most importantly, there is no longer Resuming / Reloading nonsense for me when switching apps! Moving between apps on iPhone just work in split seconds!

Start screen in wp? Having only a few lines of text on the email tile is NOT informative at all. Not missing any of it. I can always go into the apps if I ever need any information, instead of waiting for the tiles to be updates / flipped. Static icons? No issue at all! Even Android is removing its app drawer to suit more like iOS home screen. Live tiles is over-rated.

jblanken64

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
On the other hand, I ditched windows phone and now on iPhone. Man..... It's really an eye opener after staying with windows phone for so long. Facebook (with new emoticons Likes options), Messenger, Whatsapp, Flipboard, Instagram, official Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, MS office apps, Google apps, Manga rock, Overcast podcast player, Drama players, eBook readers, etc etc... I can go on and on. Every single app is working so much better and smoother than on windows phone! In addition to the vast selection of apps, they are also updated regularly! Unlike apps are like totally dead or even abandoned on windows phone. And most importantly, there is no longer Resuming / Reloading nonsense for me when switching apps! Moving between apps on iPhone just work in split seconds!

Start screen in wp? Not missing any of it. I can always go into the apps if I ever need any information, instead of waiting for the tiles to be updates / flipped. Static icons? No issue at all! Even Android is removing its app drawer to suit more like iOS home screen. Live tiles is over-rated.

Same here. I bought the 920 on the day it was released. I later moved to an 830 when the 920 started to get a little flaky. And finally the 950XL. While I loved the potential of the phone, there were nagging little issues with sound and notifications that really irked me. For example, I could turn the sound to 8 and it would still vibrate when new texts came in. Apps stuck resuming. Random reboots. Those issues should never have made it to the public. I'm back on an iPhone. I miss the UI of Windows but I welcome the functionality and stability of iOS. The only feature I really miss is the reading of texts automatically over Bluetooth. I really miss that. Hopefully Windows will get it together. If so, I'll return.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
A T-Mobile rep I spoke with says the Galaxy S7 Edge in silver is already on backorder.

BB has also sold out of ATT's Silver, did my pre-order for Silver on ATT's online site today and with some nudging with their CS they're matching BB's free 64g SD card & VR Headset promo.. Guys on Android Central have already received early shipments(T Mobile I believe).. damn.. Talk about the opposite of the 950XL pre-order debacle LOL... Can tell already The S7 Edge is going to be a huge success..

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Start screen in wp? Having only a few lines of text on the email tile is NOT informative at all. Not missing any of it. I can always go into the apps if I ever need any information, instead of waiting for the tiles to be updates / flipped. Static icons? No issue at all! Even Android is removing its app drawer to suit more like iOS home screen. Live tiles is over-rated.

Yeah, I can relate and agree. Especially on the eBook readers whoa. I was trying out a 5x that I had one installed on, and now I'm trying out iOS. I was shocked to open up the reader and have it ask me if I want to continue where I left off on another device! I have never seen that option in my life on wp. I always had to manually find where I left off and that's very annoying when you are reading a long book (never mind the fact that it crashes too, and sometimes hitting the back button, makes me go way back in the book, welp). Weirdly enough, I don't miss live tiles. It's been almost a month since I used them. I miss the weather on the lock screen though. I like how easy it is to move between apps as well too.

I'm back on an iPhone. I miss the UI of Windows but I welcome the functionality and stability of iOS. The only feature I really miss is the reading of texts automatically over Bluetooth. I really miss that. Hopefully Windows will get it together. If so, I'll return.
It's funny that you say this, because I feel the same way. I also miss the UI of Windows but I kind of like the simplicity of iOS honestly. I miss the way how Cortana can see into everything like she does on 8.1, but regardless I still have her anyway.

76132texas

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
The grass is not always greener on the other side. I recently switched from the Lumia 1020 to the Galaxy 6 Edge Plus mainly due to the quality of the WP apps. Right off the bat, I noticed that wifi worked much better on the Lumia and the settings menu was much more logical among other things. I ditched the Lumia because I was tired of carrying my iPod Touch to use certain apps I wanted, Now I have to carry a RAV power charger with me because the battery life of the Edge Plus is so poor. Looking forward to returning to WP.

Last edited:

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
"I ditched the Lumia because I was tired of carrying my iPod Touch to use certain apps I wanted, Now I have to carry a RAV power charger with me because the battery life of the Edge Plus is so poor. Looking forward to returning to WP. "

But what will be the advantage of returning to WP at the current stage of development? It seems either way you will be carrying two devices.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
The grass is not always greener on the other side. I recently switched from the Lumia 1020 to the Galaxy 6 Edge Plus mainly due to the quality of the WP apps. Right off the bat, I noticed that the wifi worked much better on the Lumia than the Edge Plus and the settings menu was much more logical among other things. I ditched the Lumia because I was tired of carrying my iPod Touch to use certain apps I wanted, Now I have to carry a RAV power charger with me because the battery life of the Edge Plus is so poor. Looking forward to returning to WP.

Go for the S7 Edge, much bigger battery, better camera, all the apps you'll ever desire and like Win 10 check what apps are sneakily running in the background.. Been in both worlds bro and going back to WP is a true step backwards..
How many times a day do you see "you can download this app at Apple App Store or Google Play"? 99% of the time the Windows Store is missing, sorry after only 6 months of that I'm just tired of it.. GL if you do go back..

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I love the trend towards no more app drawer on Android. It's going to drive those people with a thousand apps installed crazy.

Marius Edoardo

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I can relate and agree. Especially on the eBook readers whoa. I was trying out a 5x that I had one installed on, and now I'm trying out iOS. I was shocked to open up the reader and have it ask me if I want to continue where I left off on another device! I have never seen that option in my life on wp. I always had to manually find where I left off and that's very annoying when you are reading a long book (never mind the fact that it crashes too, and sometimes hitting the back button, makes me go way back in the book, welp). Weirdly enough, I don't miss live tiles. It's been almost a month since I used them. I miss the weather on the lock screen though. I like how easy it is to move between apps as well too.

It's funny that you say this, because I feel the same way. I also miss the UI of Windows but I kind of like the simplicity of iOS honestly. I miss the way how Cortana can see into everything like she does on 8.1, but regardless I still have her anyway.

Did you used bookviser? It's synchro trough my phone and PC the same way you said... But I don't know if work when you change devices

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I love the trend towards no more app drawer on Android. It's going to drive those people with a thousand apps installed crazy.
lol, if anything, switching platforms (in my case, trying out both Android and iOS) has made me realize the apps that I do actually use on a regular basis. When you have to keep setting up a new platform each time, you start to grow tired of downloading all the apps you don't use.

Did you used bookviser? It's synchro trough my phone and PC the same way you said... But I don't know if work when you change devices
I can't use that because I use apps that allow me to borrow ebooks from my local library, so that can't work out. If it was any old books, I might have considered that but thanks for the suggestion though. Also the Kindle app on Windows Phone is very disappointing.

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently using the Lumia 735 through Verizon Wireless in the US. I would love one of the new Lumia's but my wife is under a device contract for her iPhone with Verizon. So rather than pay two cell phone bills I'm sticking with my 735 for now and hoping that Verizon will get a new Windows Phone device eventually. I don't really like iOS or Android, but iOS is the lesser of two evils in my book, so my backup plan is to upgrade my 735 to an iPhone.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
ive just ordered my S7 edge for delivery next week. I havent been this excited since i ordered my 950. Sold my 950 but i reckon i'll be back in a year when hopefully windows 10 is rocking it will miss my windows phone, also liked the fact that not every one had one. but the 950 was unreliable and battery was useless

JimmyShoes

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Anyone moving back to Lumia because of "great battery life" should be warned that Windows 10 Mobile (at least on the preview) has been a battery killer.

I litterally need to charge my phone at 7pm everyday, with 8.1 it gets my battery until noon on the next day.

kimigayo

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
930 here and battery is great on windows 10 preview. Light user, but can easily get two days before having to recharge.

Anyone moving back to Lumia because of "great battery life" should be warned that Windows 10 Mobile (at least on the preview) has been a battery killer.

So you haven't been this excited in what, five months?

ive just ordered my S7 edge for delivery next week. I havent been this excited since i ordered my 950. Sold my 950 but i reckon i'll be back in a year when hopefully windows 10 is rocking it will miss my windows phone, also liked the fact that not every one had one. but the 950 was unreliable and battery was useless

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I agree on the eye opening part.
The live tile layout though, I miss that and think its informative enough. Widgets are OK but a bit inconsistent, the badges of iOS apps are meh.

Pretty sure Google came out and said the image without the drawer was simply artisticness and not reflective of N's nature.

I heard that it is only available for enterprises?? I might be wrong about that.

I thought so too!

I litterally need to charge my phone at 7pm everyday, with 8.1 it gets my battery until noon on the next day.

I think hardware is still the deciding factor depending. My Galaxy Alpha with Android and a 1850 mAh pack matches my 920 when it was new at 2000 mAh. The Droid Maxx steamrolls some phones, same with the 1520. WP is no longer the most efficient. It's just mediocre at everything now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb