Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure Google came out and said the image without the drawer was simply artisticness and not reflective of N's nature.
That wouldn't really matter, since Android users could always install an alternative launcher, such as Nova, to customize the device and include the app drawer.

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Are you going to jump off the platform?

Android leads, Windows phones fade further in Gartner's smartphone sales report | PCWorld
Month in, month out, I get news about how windows phone market share is free falling like nobody's business. Initially, I was attracted to windows phone instead of iphone and android because they are either too expensive, fragmented, or both etc. So, I bought a 930 (thinking that WP will have a fighting chance and rise up). Now, I am not so sure. I keep having the thought of going with the masses and re join the Android masses. I don't want to be the odd sheep still using WP while others are rip roaring with Android.
Do you feel the same?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Are you going to jump off the platform?

I guess I already "jumped off", and it's surely not because that's what the masses appear to be doing. The numbers were enough for me to decide that it's time to try out one of the other two platforms.

I started my trial to basically decide if I will ride along with Windows Phone/Mobile until wherever it gets to, but I couldn't decide that blindly. If you are able to, I recommend it. As far back as I can remember, I was the only person in my friend group using WP and that didn't bother me. Not in the least. I didn't care that my friends are a good mix of iPhone and Android, and the one person who doesn't use a smartphone.

Do what is best for you and your life. I tried Android because it was cheaper than iOS, and while it was nice, it is too complex for my liking so iOS is winning right now. For me, I found myself missing the simplicity of Windows Phone while on Android, so at least on iOS, the simplicity is there. I recommend xandros9's great thread : http://forums.windowscentral.com/phone-wars/411741-xandros9s-ios-android-adventure.html
It's worth the read.

Last edited:

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I heard that it is only available for enterprises?? I might be wrong about that.

That would be a shame, but it might make some sense. That would be a channel that HP would understand.

I am just frustrated that my Icon is over 2 years old now and there is no WP flagship for me to move to. To make things worse, I dropped my phone last month and the screen cracked. I want to hang in until the Surface Phone comes out, but I might not make it. I would love it if SOMEONE would come out with a 6-inch phone, atom processor, running the full windows 10 in tablet mode, with a 4k screen, good cameras and long battery life.

That would be nirvana.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Sad to say I'm leaving WP soon

I really enjoyed my 1520, best of the 3 Windows Phones I've had but looks like I'm leaving it/WP soon. Really surprised and disappointed it's not getting the W10 update, it's much more worthy then say the 640/640XL but MS in it infinite wisdom feels different. The 950XL was a bigger disappointment, this 1520 still outclasses it in looks and feel years before the 950/950XL's release. I was going to hang in anticipation of the semi-mythical Surface Phone but after seeing and playing with the S7 Edge I just couldn't resist Pre-Ordering it and looks like it will arrive next week.
It isn't this phone that has me leaving rather the company(Microsoft), **** poor release of a so called flagship(950XL) and half ready OS at its release but now I see why they pushed it out no where near ready, they had to get it out before the Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge was unveiled last month. A new version of the 1520 had a good chance of holding up against them but not the plastic backed flagship 950/950XL
Thanks to all here for your help and comradeship, it's been a true pleasure... :)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I really enjoyed my 1520, best of the 3 Windows Phones I've had but looks like I'm leaving it/WP soon. Really surprised and disappointed it's not getting the W10 update, it's much more worthy then say the 640/640XL but MS in it infinite wisdom feels different. The 950XL was a bigger disappointment, this 1520 still outclasses it in looks and feel years before the 950/950XL's release. I was going to hang in anticipation of the semi-mythical Surface Phone but after seeing and playing with the S7 Edge I just couldn't resist Pre-Ordering it and looks like it will arrive next week.
It isn't this phone that has me leaving rather the company(Microsoft), **** poor release of a so called flagship(950XL) and half ready OS at its release but now I see why they pushed it out no where near ready, they had to get it out before the Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge was unveiled last month. A new version of the 1520 had a good chance of holding up against them but not the plastic backed flagship 950/950XL
Thanks to all here for your help and comradeship, it's been a true pleasure... :)

Best of luck in your phone future! I hope you feel you can stick around as part of this community in one way or another.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sad to say I'm leaving WP soon

Thanks for all your contributions to Windows Central. :smile:

Don't be a stranger. We welcome everyone, no matter what you happen to use, and we have other forums not related to phones (such as Windows 10 desktop and Xbox).

I hope you like whatever new device you get, and there's nothing wrong with trying a different mobile platform.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Idk why you think it isn't getting windows 10. I own a 640 xl and it, like the 1520, hasn't gotten any official update but I have been using windows 10 on it for months and will load the 1520 I brought with it when it arrives today. Its official update will come eventually. (sounds more like a reason to leave the platform lol)

That being said, enjoy your galaxy and your new venture with android :) I personally think there are much better designed and full featured android phones and the galaxy looks like a suppository. LOL. Shame it will sell more than the 950s.smh.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

^Wish you the best with your new purchase.

It always comes down to grow or die. Love my WP8.1, and would love for a new Verizon W10M flagship, but nothing has been in the offing for a while now, and so...

mattmers

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site

I just jumped on so I don't plan jump off yet. I come from Blackberry 10 where we saw little sign that BB would keep supporting the platform, after the cuts to hardware and bb10 staff and that Whatsapp would be dropping BB10 come 2017. I saw there it was clearly the end. I am use to this cycle. Before BB10 I was using webOS and before that it was Symbian S60. I love all these platforms (especially webOS) but when the company drops support for the platform I move on. I stuck with webOS the longest after loss of support and it gets hard. Everything quickly becomes outdated and APIs break. I knew that was coming quick with BB10 so I picked up a 640 for $30 bucks. I don't regret the purchase, best $30 I probably spent. But I certainly have my gripes about WP8.1 since I come from platforms that are very notification and multitasking centric. Something I feel WP8.1 isn't.

Microsoft has had a commitment to mobile and they keep botching it up. Launch of WP7, then they relaunch with WP8 and now they are moving to 10. These changes have certainly destroyed developer confidence. And clearly are not making the consumers happy with new phones to constantly buy with unknown lifespan. I think this may have contributed to Nokia selling off their phone division, They moved from a "burning platform" to a self destructing one.

Microsoft is moving forward and is continuing to invest in mobile so I'm more than happy to hang around to see where it goes.

Oh I forgot about the Kin.
Windows Mobile->Microsoft Kin->Windows Phone 7->Windows Phone 8->Windows 10 mobile

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nucleotides Assembled,
No, I don't feel the same. I'm sticking with Windows Phone. It's what I like. It does everything I need. It's easy to use and it looks great. I'm thinking I may get the new HP Elite x3 Windows Phone when it's released. I don't need to follow anyone else.

Last edited:

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Re: Nucleotides Assembled,
No I don't feel the same. I'm sticking with Windows Phone. It's what I like. It does everything I need. It's easy to use and it looks great. I'm thinking I may get the new HP Elite x3 Windows Phone when it's released. I don't need to follow anyone else.
I guess you and I will be the last two people on earth to use a Windows Phone!! LOL!!!

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I've used them all and recently came back to WP and sold the best phone I've ever owned, a Note 5. I've always liked the MSFT mobile platform and that hasn't changed. I went to my att store today to look at the LG G4 thinking I might pick one up on eBay. Not gonna happen, after a month on W10M, Android is a mess. It's just an ugly, messy OS. Sure, some of the apps work well but the overall experience is not for me.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've used them all and recently came back to WP and sold the best phone I've ever owned, a Note 5. I've always liked the MSFT mobile platform and that hasn't changed. I went to my att store today to look at the LG G4 thinking I might pick one up on eBay. Not gonna happen, after a month on W10M, Android is a mess. It's just an ugly, messy OS. Sure, some of the apps work well but the overall experience is not for me.

You are a smart guy(I'm assuming) ☺ I honestly can't stomach android. Using it is tedious.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
One of Androids supposed strengths is what causes it to be such a mess. The open source aspect causes it to be so a hideous mess. There is no continuity in the design. The email, contacts, messages, settings and so on don't even look alike in some cases.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
One of Androids supposed strengths is what causes it to be such a mess. The open source aspect causes it to be so a hideous mess. There is no continuity in the design. The email, contacts, messages, settings and so on don't even look alike in some cases.

When people go on and on about how customizable android is and how open it is, I laugh. Because at the expense of what? A consistent design ui? Windows 10 mobile has it's own design quirks but this is a rewrite and android has been this way since day one and then you add in the fact those very customizations are what delay the updates in the first place and cause performance issues, it's precisely why if I ever officially left windows mobile, it would be for an iPhone.

Shame android is popular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99