Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
While I understand and don't begrudge people for switching, this despair and apocalyptic sounding posts are amusing to me more so than people who are amused that windows phone still has fans.

Everyone has basically become a conformist and just accepts android and apple as our only options and darn Microsoft should they try something new.

And have all basically stated that Microsoft can never and will never be successful and there is no hope now.

Like I said, people call the remaining wp fans as delusional or sad. But I find it more sad, if not pitiful, that people truly are okay with less and less options and ui/design seemingly being the same and any product that comes out that is different from the big two is bad.

I feel that more options are better for consumers. I'd like to see Windows 10 Mobile, BlackBerry 10, Tizen, Sailfish, Ubuntu, and other platforms all succeed.

I really believe that the big issue is about the apps (or lack thereof), not the UI/design. If every platform had the same number and quality of apps, then I feel that more people would embrace platforms other than iOS/Android.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I feel that more options are better for consumers. I'd like to see Windows 10 Mobile, BlackBerry 10, Tizen, Sailfish, Ubuntu, and other platforms all succeed.

I really believe that the big issue is about the apps (or lack thereof), not the UI/design. If every platform had the same number and quality of apps, then I feel that more people would embrace platforms other than iOS/Android.

As of late the complaints are about the design/ui of windows phone and how people.want it to be more like android.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
As of late the complaints are about the design/ui of windows phone and how people.want it to be more like android.
No. The complaints I've seen, are that Microsoft is ruining the UI with an inconsistent UI experience. Adding the horrible hamburger menu and other copying of the various android variants.

shoxart

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Bye bye Windows Mobile Phone...

Hello and bye bye to Windows Mobile Phone. I used Lumia 630 almost a year but internet explorer crash and back to main menu a lot of times per day. It's no use to use this phone to read a web for Me. Lumia, nice phone, but system, farewell friends, i buy Android now. :).

Iron_Wraith

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
-Possible long and unentertaining post ahead. You've been warned :)

My first smart phone was the HTC Touch Pro 2 running WinMo 6.1 and later 6.5. I really enjoyed the phone as it felt like a mini laptop to me. I became a ROM flashing maniac. After playing with an iPhone and a coworkers HTC Hero i ended up going with the EVO 4G on Sprint when it came out. I kept the phone 2 years, liked it even better. I stayed on android with the HTC One X, HTC One M7. After Windows 7 and 8 for phones had been released I had always been wanted to try them. I professed my admiration to others about the GUI etc. and even toyed with the available Windows launchers on my M7. I began to dislike Google for their prying "marketing" model. I had always disliked Apple for "inventing" everything and their rabid patent infringement cases, so when the Nokia Icon dropped i had my eye on it for a few months. I sold the M7 to a coworker and finally went Windows.

With the Icon i enjoyed the interface after the 8.1 upgrade. The stark clean headers and sms app was the highlights for me. The things i was a bit putoff on initially was the thickness which felt as bricky as the EVO 4G from years before and i was shocked the battery life was really no better than the M7 i replaced it with.

The love wouldn't last however. I don't blame it all on the platform as I do tend to get bored easily with my phones. The disheartening things were lack of apps (bet nobody has heard that complaint before), live tiles, RESUMING, Microsoft's commitment to OTHER platforms, their lack of commitment to project Astoria, slow camera, crashing browser, occasional freezes/unresponsive screen.

On the subject of live tiles, it's sometimes the little things that made me scratch my head. Like, why do i have a purple camera app tile that looks so out of place on my homescreen with the transparent ones. Had it been a third party app i could have at least pardoned it.
On the subject of apps, I'm not a heavy app person or didn't consider myself to be. I have 11 apps installed that didn't come with the S7 and there's 3-4 more I will get around to installing. As others have stated there's just not a good alternative Windows App vs Android or iOs and often no choice at all. If Microsoft really wants to play in the smart phone market they need to do whatever they can for apps be it have their own team of developers or subsidize third party apps. The amount of garbage pretending to be legitimate apps seemed to increase the past 3 months or so also.

Windows 10 - i tried a couple of the early releases. No surprise that they were unstable due to the nature of beta software. After trying the rc version and still had "resuming" and a hanging camera app i never tried another. Microsoft announced Astora wouldn't be happening anytime soon and at that point i made up my mind i would be going to the iPhone or back to Android.

I ordered the S7 when preorders went live. First Samsung phone for me and so far I like it better than any phone before other than my enthrallment with the Touch Pro 2. Had the iPhone 6S Plus 64GB been slightly skinnier and more price friendly i would have went that route as I've never been a Samsung fan either. So far the S7 is smooth as can be no matter how many apps I've opened. So far my only gripe with the S7 is Google of course. They push the Google+ account on you for games or app ratings and of course I feel a bit less secure than i did with Microsoft.

I really do hope now as much as i ever have that Microsoft becomes a viable competitor in all aspects with their mobile platform. For those that have everything the want / need with Windows Phone, my hat is off to you and keep using it.

Cheers all. Thanks for having me before now and I'll be lurking about as always following what I hope to be progress with the platform.

Happy St. Patrick's Day btw :)

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I really want the platform to keep on going. The problem is of late, we're just hearing mostly bad news, new products are failing, apps are now shutting down and companies closing.

The fallout from nokia leaving is huge, and all I see now is that the platform is not going anywhere, it's kind of chugging along, almost like as if MS is doing the bare minimum to make it appear like as if they're supporting it, but secretly they've already pulled the plug.

Either MS is going to have to take up the slack and start providing heaps of first party services to make up for the losses, or forget about it. The here suite is an example where on the other platforms, you more or less get that sort of stuff out of the box, included with your device. GPS and maps is basic functionality for a smartphone now that's why Apple and Google put a lot of effort into theirs. Here suite was also excellent, so I think MS should just take it over and integrate it into bing maps or something, seeing as they're already licensing the maps.

Will they do it? Who knows. Will they have a timely alternative, almost definitely not. I think the time has come where this year will really show whether MS has pulled the plug or not. From what I read, W10M is buggy, and now there's quite a few reasons to avoid an "upgrade".

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I just updated my phone to Windows10Mob (official build), everything looks nice and fancy. I wish the platform succeeds, more developers coming on board and more people buying so we'd have a third middle OS to depend on.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Tired of this

I've finally had enough, I put up with no upgrade from 7.5, the big app gap with 8.0 and 8.1, upgraded to Windows 10 insider on my M8 and loved it, and now they are saying I will not be getting anymore updates and no Redstone. Microsoft you have let me down for the last time, I'm tired of defending you, tired of no Local or Banking app's, Time to move on, Android or Apple, here I come.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: W10M release dates? Answers inside...

Lumia 920 was a flagship and only received 1 big update (if you count 8 -> 8.1 as a big update). This is even worse than Android.
"All 8.1 devices will receive Windows 10 update!!" -Microsoft
What happened?
Leave Windows Phone now if you don't want to suffer more until it's dead.

Erfan226

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

Lumia 920 was a flagship and only received 1 big update (if you count 8 -> 8.1 as a big update). This is even worse than Android.
"All 8.1 devices will receive Windows 10 update!!" -Microsoft
What happened?
Leave Windows Phone now if you don't want to suffer more until it's dead.
Devices with 1 gig ram will receive update in second wave...
android sucks btw

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Devices with 1 gig ram will receive update in second wave...
android sucks btw
ok android sucks because you say so, windows is the best because it gets unfinished updates every 4 years.
people like you are the reason why microsoft became so bad. embrace every bad thing they give to you and they don't even care about giving good things now.

Erfan226

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

First of all, i didn't say windows is the best... IOS is the best in my opinion.
Actually i work on android platform and programming for it...It's got the weakest security!
that's one of the reasons i say its bad.
Second, Microsoft weakest point is in mobile platform, the desktop OS is perfect actually!

EJMDC

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site

Is it true that Lumia 1020 will not be able to get W10M upgrade? ? If that's the case I will move to iOS after many years with windows phone.

prasanna moholkar

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site

Very disappointing decision from MS to drop Lumia 520 & 1020.
Lumia 640 is my last windows eco systems phone next will be Nokia Android

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

First of all, i didn't say windows is the best... IOS is the best in my opinion.
Actually i work on android platform and programming for it...It's got the weakest security!
that's one of the reasons i say its bad.
Second, Microsoft weakest point is in mobile platform, the desktop OS is perfect actually!

If you call Windows 10 perfect, then you have seen nothing perfect in your life. It's a themed 8.1 with privacy stealing with 0 innovations. There are too many different UI it's not even consistent. There is seperate Settings and Control Panel (it sounds even funny). With disgusting design it is one of the worst operating systems ever. Inspired by Windows 95 I think. Also slower than 7, 8 and 8.1. Why would someone install it? I think they wouldn't install if Microsoft didn't force and install silently in background without even asking or "Get Windows 10 now" popups didn't keep appearing everywhere. Unfinished operating system is pushed too hard as if people were test subject.
Tell me what made you say android has the weakest security?? Because it's funny.

moumin2

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft is not updating 1320 to windows 10 mobile.

Microsoft promised all devices running Windows phone 8.1 a free upgrade to Windows 10 mobile, among them Lumia 1320, then it broke it's promise as usual.
The strange thing is how Microsoft pushed all PC window XP users to upgrade to vista or 7.
And now pushing all windows PC vista, 7,8,8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10 PCs even downloading it behind their back into their hard drive!! But with 10 Mobil it's the other way around.
Anyways it's already time to upgrade, but instead of Lumia 950xl (which was the plan) moving to galaxy a9.
Rubino is writing this series of articles about windows phone is not dead, well to me it's dead, and i won't be selling my 1320, cause no one would buy, so I'll keep it around for the kids in the house.
And Microsoft...
Never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion