Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: So is anyone seriously considering another platform now....?

I switched out to an iPhone 5s six months ago, so my collection of Lumia's have been powered off in a drawer.

I wanted to see the direction they were headed with 10 - i did not like the early builds at all, and felt it was a step back from all the greatness that was in 8.1 - which is going to die because they're not going to maintain two stores.

I've been burned too many times by Microsoft - Windows Phone 7 to 8, Surface RT and now this .. I'm not buying another MS product.

Ironically, my Surface Pro 3 is the only thing MS that I am using now and that's actually a great device.

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I think I have Windows fatigue been on the platform since 2010 and I think I'm just starting to get bored. I have changed WP about every 6 months since then. Though I did own the 1520 for 2 years since there was no upgrade path. I bought the 950 XL at launch and I just can't see myself having this phone for 1 year and I don't see anything intriguing in the coming months. smh

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Threw in the towel

I love the Windows interface. The best on the market. But after WP7, 8 and 8.1, I have to throw in the towel on WM10. Never going more than 2 days without losing my connection and 2 replacement phones from at&t, I have to call it quits. Going over to the android side. I am slowly getting used to my Galaxy S7. Sorry Microsoft, I tried to make it work.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Threw in the towel

No, we won't be back soon. My wife and I are on call, and our jobs are on the line if we can't be reached within 10 or 15 minutes. My phone would never reconnect after losing the signal, and was disconnected for 4 hours one time before I realized it. I hate leaving windows, but I need a paycheck.

OmniusOne

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site

I've started looking into alternatives for Windows. But I'm not making a switch just yet. For the time being, I'm going to see how msft will handle the 10586 TH builds (as I have my 521 on it.). At the same time I'll be getting me either a budget 640 or a Fierce XL to run official W10.

So I've not quite jumped the fence yet, but I'm definitely on it. That's why I'm looking into other mobile platforms; getting a head start if the time comes I do jump over to the 'other side'.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

I'm an M8 user on the insider build and I'm not going anywhere. I'm not happy the M8 isn't getting the "official" update but not enough to leave the platform.

Sent from my Surface 3

tmoore71

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Have been using a Lumia 950 since release and just got a Galaxy S7 Edge a couple weeks ago. I have been switching back and forth between the two. I have to say, WP10 seems more intuitive than Marshmellow and call clarity seems better on the Lumia. Cameras are close. As for apps, I have the same apps installed on both phones. The one app I hated to see go away was the BofA last year. Now it is coming back. Which operating system do I prefer? I very much prefer WP10 over Android, but it may be due to having used Windows for years. The one big nod I give to Samsung is the quality of the phone build. The S7 Edge looks and feels like a flagship, while the Lumia 950 falls short, in my opinion.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Threw in the towel

Yea I doubt that.
Frustration is very strong.
I haven't put my sim into a Windows Mobile device since the end of January. It started out as a trial but something has to change here if I'll want to change my mind. In it, I have learned that there is true power in having choice and having things work the way they should.

Anyway, I find it funny when people say stuff like "You'll be back". How do you know my (or that person's) life?

However, I do still keep my Lumia 640 in hopes that this will happen...at some point.

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I've decided to leave because I'm one of those unfortunate person who bought a half baked windows phone. Also Microsoft's awesome strategy of leaving 50% users behind-after promising an update-makes me wonder what the heck are they doing.
More practical reasons are,
1. There are so many cool start-up companies coming up in India who are offering different useful services. And what they don't have is a windows phone app. And suddenly I'm the non-cool person every group.
2. Pricing of windows phone is a joke in my country. Really good quality android devices with better camera and specs is available when windowsphone offers always a half baked phone which is minimum 25% costlier than an android phone which has better specs. Only thing I'm going to miss in WP is live tiles. Everything else is going to be a gain.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've decided to leave because I'm one of those unfortunate person who bought a half baked windows phone. Also Microsoft's awesome strategy of leaving 50% users behind-after promising an update-makes me wonder what the heck are they doing.
More practical reasons are,
1. There are so many cool start-up companies coming up in India who are offering different useful services. And what they don't have is a windows phone app. And suddenly I'm the non-cool person every group.
2. Pricing of windows phone is a joke in my country. Really good quality android devices with better camera and specs is available when windowsphone offers always a half baked phone which is minimum 25% costlier than an android phone which has better specs. Only thing I'm going to miss in WP is live tiles. Everything else is going to be a gain.

Which Windows Phone did you have?

Which new phone are you getting?

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Sad to say I'm leaving WP soon

I really enjoyed my 1520, best of the 3 Windows Phones I've had but looks like I'm leaving it/WP soon. Really surprised and disappointed it's not getting the W10 update, it's much more worthy then say the 640/640XL but MS in it infinite wisdom feels different. The 950XL was a bigger disappointment, this 1520 still outclasses it in looks and feel years before the 950/950XL's release. I was going to hang in anticipation of the semi-mythical Surface Phone but after seeing and playing with the S7 Edge I just couldn't resist Pre-Ordering it and looks like it will arrive next week.
It isn't this phone that has me leaving rather the company(Microsoft), **** poor release of a so called flagship(950XL) and half ready OS at its release but now I see why they pushed it out no where near ready, they had to get it out before the Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge was unveiled last month. A new version of the 1520 had a good chance of holding up against them but not the plastic backed flagship 950/950XL
Thanks to all here for your help and comradeship, it's been a true pleasure... :)

The L1520 is on the upgrade list. Did you mean the L1020?

Kubanarin

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Microsoft Cheated Lumia Users

It is rather sad to see the Microsofts apologists try to create an alternate universe where Microsoft didn't deceive its customers.

I am happy that I smelled the rat a while ago and I am free and posting this from my iPhone 6S Plus.

The 9.3 update last night with Night shift is actually quite cool.

It is sad that 20 years with Microsoft had to end lie this and I will possibly revisit the platform in a couple of years but enough with the lies already.

AlliGe

May 16, 2014
Visit site
The same thing happened to me. I bought the Samsung Ativ S Neo. I did get the 8.1 update, but that was December 2014. I'm constantly checking for updates but always get the "your phone is up to date" message. I know that phone has been left in the dust and will never see another update. I do love the ease of Windows Phone, but no updates & lack of apps is now comical. I've gone back to Android. Right now I have the Galaxy S4 which of course is another Samsung phone being left behind to die, but I got it cheap. The next one I get will be an unlocked Moto Pure X ..... will get updated directly from Google, no carrier bloat, and it works on all carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb