Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Microsoft Cheated Lumia Users

for the record, iPhone 4S which was launched in 2011 is still getting iOS updates and that is more than 4years. In fact, it received iOS 9.3 updates on Day 1 of the OS update.

It has gone thru 4 major iOS updates since initial launch from iOS 5 till now iOS9.

I am not saying that each device should be getting updates for so many years. But many WP devices did not even make it pass 1 major update.

I've used IOS 9 on the 4s, it's mega slow. Whatsapp opening itself is uber slow. Enjoy updating.. Even da W10 update is fair enough to use on Wp8.1 device.. 512MB WP devices, like the 4s, didnt make the grade- because the customer experience will be sad. So they chose not to do it, and anyway, it Will be crashing and all..

Jun De Peralta

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
lumia 820, 920, 925, 625, 1020, 640XL.

was thinking of getting the 650 because i just cant afford the 950... but with how MS treated us "old owners" saying that our "old phones are not up to par" then i am now thinking of just getting an ASUS Zenphone... its cheaper and i know what im getting myself into with the android ecosystem.

i love the ms ecosystem but i felt like i as a consumer did not matter to them when they decided to leave my phones out of future upgrades. I know im just one little voice and my quips and rants don't mean ANYTHING to MS. but thats just how i feel...

Anapilis

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site

I'm Lumia 925 owner and I must admit I'm very disappointed. I was Nokia C7 owner, - Symbian is dead, I heard negative feedback about Windows Phone 7.8, so decided to wait until Windows 8 would be released. I bought Lumia 925 and I was very happy about it. Though I live in small country Lithuania there majority local apps would be created apart Windows ecosystem. But I thought it worth to wait and Windows would expand, and plus, I heard that Windows 10 will support Android apps, now I understood it was a lie. My Lumia 925 was stolen, but I bought same new, because I liked and waited for Windows 10. Moreover I even recommended my ex gf to buy Lumia 925 and my new gf again Lumia 925. I said it will be updated till Windows 10. I feel guilty, because Microsoft made me to lie. It's not trustworthy company. All accusations on how they (ELOP) bought brilliant company Nokia. I thought about buying new phone, but then I wanted to try on my 925 Windows 10 before buying new phone like Lumia 950. I joined testing on Insider program. I expected they will fix issues with my responses, but they decided "oh negative feedback? then we don't need them". I simply do not understand how company with such a small Windows community let do such things . They will shrink till the end. I really liked Windows 10 interface, apps were little problem, but what I really hate is a lie. I do not like iOS for overpricing, I do not like android, but probably I would just end up with Chinese flagship (Xioami, OPPO, Meizu) installing some MOD with Windows 10 look like interface.

visu9211

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Switched from Lumia 920 & 640 to iPhone 6 Plus... I think its a great upgrade and I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner... I do miss few things though... like Keyboard...
The Apps are ofcourse much better including Microsoft ones... One thing I would say is that Siri understands me much much better than Cortana ever did... especially when making calls while driving and setting reminders...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Switched from Lumia 920 & 640 to iPhone 6 Plus... I think its a great upgrade and I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner... I do miss few things though... like Keyboard...
The Apps are ofcourse much better including Microsoft ones... One thing I would say is that Siri understands me much much better than Cortana ever did... especially when making calls while driving and setting reminders...

Yeah I missed the keyboard too when moving to iOS. The iPhone keyboard just annoys me so I installed SwiftKey which is awesome. You should try that.

Joni Sin

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site

For sure my lumia 920 will be last windows phone. I wont support company that lie and have norespect for their customer.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

Your phone is 3 1/2 years old...that's a stellar run for any device. Yeah, they tried to squeeze an OS onto technology that is obsolete and it didn't perform. Time to upgrade.

So now the fault is of insiders? Tell me when did themost efficient os became resource intensive . Also which other 3 year old phone has been denied access to latest apps and app updates.

Iron_Wraith

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I've had my S7 for almost 13 days now. So far it's been a very smooth experience. The camera and camera interface is really good. My panoramas are actually stitched high res photos instead of the awful ones my Icon managed to produce. I haven't had any unresponsiveness at all. Mind you I don't have the device loaded down with several gb's of music and pics yet. I'm running a 64GB Sandisk Extreme micro sd and barely scratched storage. I haven't had the half second or so pause while waking that some ppl are reporting with a card installed. Battery life was better than I expected. Off charge at 7am and one evening I had 32% left at 10pm and had actually played Off Road Legends 2 for half hour or so during my lunch break. The Icon I had previous would have been dead by 4pm under similar load. I'm getting less battery life the last couple of days but I've installed a couple of location intensive map apps and added an email account for work. 5.5 hours off charge right now and 62% battery remaining.
I had the HTC One M7 for a year and a half and honestly the battery life was about the same as the Icon and the last 2 months or so the Icon was more unresponsive with occasional freezes for up to 10 seconds after ending a call or while dialing. I performed a hard reset and had also used the MS Recovery Tool but never shook the issue. Hopefully the S7 works out for you. I've never used the S5 so I cant offer any solution there. A couple of family members had them before going to the S6 and seemed happy with them.

On a side note - I really enjoyed the newer interface of WM10 what little I got to test drive it on the Icon. The settings menu on 8.1 was the only thing that made me scratch my head on an otherwise clean GUI. Windows 10 mostly cured that for my expectations.

f you get time let us know what you think about the S7

skynet1511

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Cheated for the fourth time by Microsoft

Honestly i have no words to describe the dishonest conduct by Microsoft that, for the 4th time in six years, cheated me.
I always trusted in MS and always liked its products, both hardware and software. But since yesterday my opinion is changing, and i think that it came the time for me to move to other mobile OS.

In 2009 i bought the Zune HD, it was meant to be the competitor of the iPod, but after the first few months it was clear that MS completely forgot it. No updates, not such a decent app, nothing of nothing.

Then came the time of the first Lumia, the 800, wich died before birth.

In 2012 i trusted in the first Surface RT, which revealed itself died before birth too. Windows Store never grew up, just a few decent apps making the Surface an almost useless system.

In 2014 i decided that it was time to update my Lumia 800 jumping on the 925, beautiful smartphone, at that time the flagship. And since that time MS always reassured everyone that lesson was learned with the 1st generation of Lumias, and everyone would have been able to upgrade to the next Windows, the 10!

And now.... for the fourth time in a row, i feel myself completely cheated once again, left behind again by MS which failed totally the market strategy, communication and investments. Once again, instead of attracting people to Windows Mobile, they make them to move to other OS.
There will not be the fifth time for me.
Goodbye MS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Corey Kramer

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Recently sold my android tablets when i got a surface 4 pro, than got a smart band 2 and than sold my nexus 6 and got a lumia 950.
So happy i decided to switch. but i do wish windows mobile had other options for keyboards like android.

CrownSeven

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

MSFT lies a lot and I mean a lot. They always abandon their user base as they move forward. That's why I left again and sold my 950XL it was way laggy for just about everything. I still have my 920 and it runs like butter, but the camera is broken.

Oh so we're giving up anecdotal evidence now? OK! My 950XL is fantastic! It runs as smooth as butter! Takes fantastic pics and the battery lasts over 48 hours on a single charge.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Oh so we're giving up anecdotal evidence now? OK! My 950XL is fantastic! It runs as smooth as butter! Takes fantastic pics and the battery lasts over 48 hours on a single charge.

No, I'm pretty sure...well wait let me find a video for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zbsvN-dNDs
Start at about 7:40 Mine never got faster
there was another video showing the same apps vs android and the XL just fell flat on it's face. I can find that one too if you'd like.

Maybe the reviewers just got a bad one like me

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

No, I'm pretty sure...well wait let me find a video for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zbsvN-dNDs
there was another video showing the same apps vs android and the XL just fell flat on it's face. I can find that one too if you'd like.

Hey, would like to see the 950 vs android apps video if it is easy for you to find? I'm interested to watch that. IMO, launching apps on windows 10 mobile has NEVER been fast to me. Even popular 3rd party apps like TubbeCast loads video thumbnails much slower than the official youtube app on android / iOS.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had my S7 for almost 13 days now. So far it's been a very smooth experience. The camera and camera interface is really good. My panoramas are actually stitched high res photos instead of the awful ones my Icon managed to produce. I haven't had any unresponsiveness at all. Mind you I don't have the device loaded down with several gb's of music and pics yet. I'm running a 64GB Sandisk Extreme micro sd and barely scratched storage. I haven't had the half second or so pause while waking that some ppl are reporting with a card installed. Battery life was better than I expected. Off charge at 7am and one evening I had 32% left at 10pm and had actually played Off Road Legends 2 for half hour or so during my lunch break. The Icon I had previous would have been dead by 4pm under similar load. I'm getting less battery life the last couple of days but I've installed a couple of location intensive map apps and added an email account for work. 5.5 hours off charge right now and 62% battery remaining.
I had the HTC One M7 for a year and a half and honestly the battery life was about the same as the Icon and the last 2 months or so the Icon was more unresponsive with occasional freezes for up to 10 seconds after ending a call or while dialing. I performed a hard reset and had also used the MS Recovery Tool but never shook the issue. Hopefully the S7 works out for you. I've never used the S5 so I cant offer any solution there. A couple of family members had them before going to the S6 and seemed happy with them.

On a side note - I really enjoyed the newer interface of WM10 what little I got to test drive it on the Icon. The settings menu on 8.1 was the only thing that made me scratch my head on an otherwise clean GUI. Windows 10 mostly cured that for my expectations.

f you get time let us know what you think about the S7

You know, being an Android / windows phone user myself, I never find Android as bad as others speak of. I'm running a 2 years old Note 4 and it is buttery smooth since day 1. Like you, I don't install tons of apps on both the Note 4 and 1520. However, somehow I feed apps on windows phones are just not on par with Android - in terms of app launch speed and how polished the apps are. Take windows store vs Google Play for an example. The way how Google Play presents the apps titles and selections are so much better and faster than the windows store app. A tap on the My Apps on Google Play and it have all the apps which are available for updates in a split second. However, on windows store, I have to tap on the Update button then it will show the list of apps. And even updating apps are so much faster and better with Google Play, while I often encountering Errors on the Windows store.

I had a M7 before as well. And I really really love the Sense UI. So light weight and responsive.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Someone send this to Gabe, Joe B and Nadella, maybe they'll get a clue.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Recently sold my android tablets when i got a surface 4 pro, than got a smart band 2 and than sold my nexus 6 and got a lumia 950.
So happy i decided to switch. but i do wish windows mobile had other options for keyboards like android.

Another smart person ☺ personally I don't care for alt keyboards like android. I think the window phone keyboard is actually awesome considering.

Last edited:

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Hey, would like to see the 950 vs android apps video if it is easy for you to find? I'm interested to watch that. IMO, launching apps on windows 10 mobile has NEVER been fast to me. Even popular 3rd party apps like TubbeCast loads video thumbnails much slower than the official youtube app on android / iOS.

I had both of these phones as well and its pretty accurate. I still have the V10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwBBD97_oY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills