Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Microsoft Cheated Lumia Users

Thought the exact same thing......it's almost like MIcrosoft is in their own oblivious bubble. They need to see this. So disappointing. I like those guys and their reviews are fair regardless of the phones or phone operating system.

ashdown43

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I have both the Galaxy S7 edge and the Lumia 950 XL. I have been using the edge as primary device now. Just because I got tired of waiting on Microsoft to release better versions of their own product on Windows. I am keeping the Lumia in hope that one day Windows will get there.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I would be interested to know who well the 950/950XL is currently selling. ie whether it's beginning to tail off or is flat, and more to the point how many that have actually sold in total so far.

Once all the existing Windows Phone enthusiasts have bought one, there can't be that many more sales to be had.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I would be interested to know who well the 950/950XL is currently selling. ie whether it's beginning to tail off or is flat, and more to the point how many that have actually sold in total so far.

Once all the existing Windows Phone enthusiasts have bought one, there can't be that many more sales to be had.

Good point.
I would say people would shop for this phone specifically it wouldn't be an impulse buy.
Meaning "Oh look at this!...I think I'll grab one" at 4 bills or higher.

I've been wondering if the 950's might disappear all together packaged as new.
Is the 950 series still being manufactured?

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There would be sales to be had, if MS would get a few things through their thick skulls:
1. This is a phone. For many of us, our only phone. There is no room for glitchy software or unreliable connections. Get it completely right before launch.
2. Advertise. If no one sees the product, no one will buy the product.
3. Let people know what you can do. A prime example: Authenticate.
4. Deliver the promise of converged platforms.

Honestly, Windows is the best phone OS out there. As a Windows fan, I bought the 950, and would be using it today had it not been for issue #1. As it is, I had to move to android to get a reliable phone. I am now locked into the S7 for 2 years. That means you will not be making a sale to me again for that long. Stop the missteps, because they have long term consequences.

Dragunov2

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

Maybe I move to Apple or I really hope MS has their Apple apps on Windows Phone ready when I decide to buy a new phone later this year!

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Good point.
I would say people would shop for this phone specifically it wouldn't be an impulse buy.
Meaning "Oh look at this!...I think I'll grab one" at 4 bills or higher.

I've been wondering if the 950's might disappear all together packaged as new.
Is the 950 series still being manufactured?
It certainly wouldn't surprise me if we see them discounted further in the near future.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
There would be sales to be had, if MS would get a few things through their thick skulls:
1. This is a phone. For many of us, our only phone. There is no room for glitchy software or unreliable connections. Get it completely right before launch.
2. Advertise. If no one sees the product, no one will buy the product.
3. Let people know what you can do. A prime example: Authenticate.
4. Deliver the promise of converged platforms.

Honestly, Windows is the best phone OS out there. As a Windows fan, I bought the 950, and would be using it today had it not been for issue #1. As it is, I had to move to android to get a reliable phone. I am now locked into the S7 for 2 years. That means you will not be making a sale to me again for that long. Stop the missteps, because they have long term consequences.
Yep telling the average phone user that they just need to give it a few months for it to work properly and that convergence will solve the app problem at some indeterminate time in the future, will most likely result in a blank stare.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
How does this:
There is no room for glitchy software or unreliable connections. Get it completely right before launch.
Result in this:
Honestly, Windows is the best phone OS out there

I wonder. I have now come around to the idea that Apple honestly provides the best phone experience. Pricey, yes, but the hardware is always among the best, the OS is polished and fully functional with an actual design (compared to the Frankenstein's monster that is Windows 10 Mobile design-wise) with the best app ecosystem and the best support. They have earned the right to sell their devices $100, $200 above others because you either have to stick with Android and get mediocre everything or you go with Windows and "wait for it to come in the next version"...and then get shafted.

Saeglopur89

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
They could just sit and watch how Nokia is doing their work like Nokia did amazingly. But they thought that you can literally but that know-how, way of thinking and brand reputation. And look now: now we have plastic-old-Samsung-alike Lumias with W10Mobile full of hamburgers, drawers trying to be like Android years ago. Almost all UI and UX 'metro' ideas were ditched:/

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
They have earned the right to sell their devices $100, $200 above others because you either have to stick with Android and get mediocre everything or you go with Windows and "wait for it to come in the next version"...and then get shafted.
They all have the right to charge what they want-it's what the market will bear. People may vary on the OS "experience", but Android also has some of the best hardware utilizing their operating system.

phoenix537512

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

I own a Lumia 1020, perfectly capable to run Windows 10 Mobile, as it does, will have to stay on the preview version, and I DID send feedback, most of the bugs for me where fixed with each higher version, not sure what the problem is, I guess they do not want to bother working the extra time needed to make it work, sadly, I have been considering a switch to android, feeling let down by Microsoft

El Squish

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to use a Windows Phone anymore. I don't see a single advantage in using it anymore. I also don't understand why anyone has loyalty to any particular OS or company. Every one of them is only interested in providing as little as they can for you while keeping you just happy enough to keep the money flowing their direction. The only thing that makes sense to me is using what works best for your needs at a price point you are comfortable with. I used WP from the first Samsung Focus in 2011 until almost a year and half ago when I bought a OnePlus One. With the app problem constantly getting worse, WP no longer met my needs. I was tired of the burden of workarounds being placed on me when solutions were easily available on other platforms. Once android got to Kit Kat and I put Nova Launcher on my phone I haven't had any significant complaints with android outside of missing the PureView camera's, which in the last year, android phones have arguably caught up there as well. All the Microsoft apps are available and are as easy to use or easier than they were on Windows Phone. The OS runs smoothly and the few live tiles I really took advantage of on WP (calendar & notes on my home screen) were easily replaced by widgets that actually let me scroll the information so they work better. Whatever smoothness advantage WP had over android is now lost with the disaster that Windows Mobile is. Even compared to 8.1 the difference is negligible now. I can even block Google from tracking my every move if I want, so that complaint is overrated as well. The only true Android problem at this point is getting updates but that can be solved by getting a Nexus phone.

Anyway, I'm now running Windows 10 on a Spectre X360, IOS on an iPad mini, and Lollipop on my OnePlus One. They all work seamlessly with Microsoft services and they are all reliable, smooth, have good to great battery life, run all the apps and programs I want, and do what I want them to do very well. Everyone needs to stop feeling this weird sense of loyalty to devices headed in a bad direction. If anyone of the things I use today falls behind and no longer does what I want it to do, I will replace it with something else when it makes fiscal sense to do so. If we all did that, we might finally get exactly what we want rather than constantly making compromises with every device. Just look at Samsung. They started losing customers so they slimmed down their bloated OS, made a device with longer battery life, brought back expandable storage and kept what people liked, quick charge, great camera, thin and light devices. Windows 10 vs 8.1 on PC is another example of improvement based on customer departure. Blind loyalty is the only reason I can think of why IOS has remained largely stagnant and leads them to hold on to their ridiculous one button interface. Dumping a company when they make too many bad choices is what leads to improvements. Blind loyalty to increasingly flawed devices certainly doesn't...

Last edited:

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Maybe I move to Apple or I really hope MS has their Apple apps on Windows Phone ready when I decide to buy a new phone later this year!

Just get an iPhone - first class apps updates and support. Why even bother to wait for ports over to W10M???

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to use a Windows Phone anymore. I don't see a single advantage in using it anymore. I also don't understand why anyone has loyalty to any particular OS or company.
<snip>
Blind loyalty is the only reason I can think of why IOS has remained largely stagnant and leads them to hold on to their ridiculous one button interface. Dumping a company when they make too many bad choices is what leads to improvements. Blind loyalty to increasingly flawed devices certainly doesn't...

How dare you enter this place with so much common sense!
(kidding)
Great words!

Agamembar

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I still don't know why its taken so long for the Win 10 mobile update to roll out, I have a 930 with about 7 months left on my contract and I'm seriously think about getting the iPhone SE sim free at present the apps on windows are just lagging so far behind. Being able to sync my music better and have access to banking apps etc would make the initial cost worth it at this point.

I didn't think that the apps issue would be the actual thing that would make me want to switch as I was planning to get a 950 but there is apps that my friends can use that would be real handy (local cab apps etc) that simply will never come to windows phone. That and the smaller form size migth actually be better for me. Its annoying as I think the OS and the interface is fantastic so I will keep the lumia as a second phone if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism