Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

steva11

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Sadly upgraded from my 1020

I picked up a Sony Z5. 1080- screen, 23MP camera, octa-core processor, 3GB RAM, etc.

It still doesn't take as good low light and night photos as the 1020. The 1020 has by far the best camera i have ever used on a phone, and I have used most of the flagships on the market.

The only windows phone offered by any canadian carrier right now is the 830 (which i've also used and liked but switched it out due to the poor camera). But I would ahve gone windows phone over the Z5 if the 950XL was available. The Z5 was also free on my carrier (Bell)

Having kids, the Z5 is super quick when wanting to get a photo (.03 sec autofocus) where with the 1020, I've had to miss shots or be like "sorry, just one sec" while people say "have you taken it yet?" ...and that's still on auto mode.

If MS could release an update an update to the 1020....basically upgraded internals, and a bigger, better screen, I would go back to windows phone for sure. Just wanted to post this cause even though I switch my phone out on a regular basis, the 1020 is the only phone I had gone back to after switching it out.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Sadly upgraded from my 1020

Sorry to lose you... In some ways the 950xl is an upgraded version of the 1020 (btw I said in "some ways"; keep that in mind if you feel like attacking me hehe), but yea it would've been nice if MS stuck to the old ways and just released an actual upgrade to the 1020/920 and others

Stephen Fitton

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I did the same thing last weekend. Wanted so badly to move from the 920 to the 950. Love the UI of the Windows Phone but couldn't bring myself to get the 950 after the poor rollout of the new phone, lack of apps, and poorly functioning apps. I hope to return someday; my first week with S7 Android has a difficult transition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Graphic_Delusions

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Sadly upgraded from my 1020

I'm in a similar situation, but haven't upgraded yet..

Every phone I've owned had the greatest camera (Nokia N93, N82, N8, 808, Lumia 1020) and that's thanks to Nokia.
I'm still using the 1020 since launch (2.5 years), I want a new phone, but now I've hit a brick wall.

People say that the Lumia 950/950XL is an upgrade, but It's not. With Microsoft taking Nokia, I've had to compromise the camera module for faster OS and improved algorithms (due to better processors). I did this from moving from the Nokia 808 to the Lumia 1020 and it would be a bigger step back if I was to go for the 950 or 950XL.

I want to stay with Microsoft because they do carry over qualities that no other phone has such as Nokia's superior Rich Audio Recording microphones. I love the Pureview technonolgy, it works amazingly well, but sadly that looks like that has been phased out.

Other companies, such as Samsung, are / have already caught / catching up on the imaging technologies that was once dominated by Nokia.

I hope the imaging guys at Microsoft are cooking up something great to reveal otherwise I have no choice but to look at other leading companies like you have. Sad times....

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
<snip>
Well, the other apps, games etc... iPhones have tones of them; thousands... but 99.999% with IAPs and some WP games are not even available for iPhone like many xBox Games. MS has extended their support for iPhone users by providing MS Office for iPhone (good marketing stategy) but iPhone has nothing to offer for WP users. Biggest difference: iPhone does not have wireless charging... Damn, I miss it the most and can only use my Wireless charger with 930. Though I have ordered Wireless Charging cover but there is noting like an inbuilt feature.

And No, I have not thrown away my 930; even though I have confidence that nothing will happen to it if I throw it (Just cant have the same feeling for iPhone that seems so delicate and brittle with a big HANDLE WITH UTMOST CARE dripping from everywhere of it), I plan to keep both the phones till I have a better option. That all from the bottom of my heart!:straight::straight:

Your opinion was interesting to read, but I can't agree that the iPhone has nothing to offer for WP users. I would say that it is about the same in the context that with Lumias, Microsoft makes the software and the hardware. Apple does the same thing with their iPhones, so security is an important thing. In addition, the app ecosystem is a valid thing. So I would say that it offers a lot of similarity for WP users, just not as much in personal customization. It shares the whole "controlling what runs in the background thing" as well, which I was pleased to find. I was also pleased that I can control if something auto updates or it just lets me know if it wants to update. There are a lot of similarities, in my opinion, so it's not a fair statement to say that it has nothing to offer when you can actually have a good amount of the same experience.

It also just works, similar in a way how WP was able to, somewhat (I mean before Win10M). If anything, starting from WP showed me that I really appreciate something that will work as it should, the way that it should. I do not have interest in tweaking, at least strongly.

About the wireless charging thing, you are stating that as if everyone who has/had a WP had it. I have never owned any phones, Lumias included that have wireless charging. I had a 735, but I never used or cared for that. Wireless charging is the end all be all for some, for others, not so much.

Amit Gogna

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Your opinion was interesting to read, but I can't agree that the iPhone has nothing to offer for WP users. I would say that it is about the same in the context that with Lumias, Microsoft makes the software and the hardware. Apple does the same thing with their iPhones, so security is an important thing. In addition, the app ecosystem is a valid thing. So I would say that it offers a lot of similarity for WP users, just not as much in personal customization. It shares the whole "controlling what runs in the background thing" as well, which I was pleased to find. I was also pleased that I can control if something auto updates or it just lets me know if it wants to update. There are a lot of similarities, in my opinion, so it's not a fair statement to say that it has nothing to offer when you can actually have a good amount of the same experience.

It also just works, similar in a way how WP was able to, somewhat (I mean before Win10M). If anything, starting from WP showed me that I really appreciate something that will work as it should, the way that it should. I do not have interest in tweaking, at least strongly.

About the wireless charging thing, you are stating that as if everyone who has/had a WP had it. I have never owned any phones, Lumias included that have wireless charging. I had a 735, but I never used or cared for that. Wireless charging is the end all be all for some, for others, not so much.

Hi, your point is well taken for "offerings". I was not thinking on those lines.

For wireless charging, I too never had any phone capable of the same (before my 920 that I used for 2 years and then 930 that I am using for last 1 year) that could wirelessly charge. But 920 induced curiosity 3 years ago but I ordered some special wireless pad that could charge wirelessly at 1.5A and had built-in batteries as backup (8000 mAh) approx. more than just a month ago. Now a month later, when I had packed all the cables except one to charge this said data bank, I go for an iPhone. Imagine buying a product, getting used to it and then not able to ulitise the same optimally!! Brings a feeling of something missing. I never "thought of" anyone with WP as long as mine was working OK. If not, I asked for MS's help or upgraded. So this feature means something to me. I still charge my 930 wirelessly but keep on fumbling for wires for iPhone (but not for long!!)

More so, yes, maybe I am trying to find WP in my iPhone or iPhone in my WP. But is that not humane?

Thanks.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi, your point is well taken for "offerings". I was not thinking on those lines.

For wireless charging, I too never had any phone capable of the same (before my 920 that I used for 2 years and then 930 that I am using for last 1 year) that could wirelessly charge. But 920 induced curiosity 3 years ago but I ordered some special wireless pad that could charge wirelessly at 1.5A and had built-in batteries as backup (8000 mAh) approx. more than just a month ago. Now a month later, when I had packed all the cables except one to charge this said data bank, I go for an iPhone. Imagine buying a product, getting used to it and then not able to ulitise the same optimally!! Brings a feeling of something missing. I never "thought of" anyone with WP as long as mine was working OK. If not, I asked for MS's help or upgraded. So this feature means something to me. I still charge my 930 wirelessly but keep on fumbling for wires for iPhone (but not for long!!)

More so, yes, maybe I am trying to find WP in my iPhone or iPhone in my WP. But is that not humane?

Thanks.
It's not at all. I feel like WP has the perfect amount of customization.

I understand where you are coming from, and it must have been a shock. It's been a shock seeing so many cases available for iPhone, and never mind the accessories.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I am moving to Android. I absolutely love win phone but I have had it. MS has all but abandoned the platform. APS are leaving in a hurry, aka, here and MLB At Bat to name just two. No mobile payment and bank apps either. It's just too much to overcome.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I am moving to Android. I absolutely love win phone but I have had it. MS has all but abandoned the platform. APS are leaving in a hurry, aka, here and MLB At Bat to name just two. No mobile payment and bank apps either. It's just too much to overcome.

Why so stressed?

My At Bat app from last year still works. I have been getting all the preseason games. Last year the prior years app was updated after the season started.

Minneapolis has added parking meters that can be paid by the Parkmobile app so I downloaded it and it works great.

I have all the apps I need on my Windows Phone and my life certainly doesn't revolve only around apps. I'm busy working and living life.

Hope you can find satisfaction with your android phone.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Going forward only W10M will matter. By not supporting phones with 512K, MS has cut their market share in half.

512K phones are cheap phones and are fast becoming outdated. Look at the specs for current apple and google phones.

It would make no sense for Microsoft to "support" a poor experience. That's all the ecosystem needs is having the doomsday people complain about that too.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Why so stressed?

My At Bat app from last year still works. I have been getting all the preseason games. Last year the prior years app was updated after the season started.

Minneapolis has added parking meters that can be paid by the Parkmobile app so I downloaded it and it works great.

I have all the apps I need on my Windows Phone and my life certainly doesn't revolve only around apps. I'm busy working and living life.

You mention that about At Bat. Of course it still works for people who never changed their phones or tried to update, but it can't be newly installed. That makes it not really accessible. I miss that app on Windows Phone, and I refuse to have a smartphone without it.

Different apps mean different things for different people. It's great that you have all the apps you need, I wish that was the case for me. I'll rather change my phone than use an awful, subpar app for something I use daily. I did just that for so long, until I saw the light.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I am planning on getting an iPhone, if they switch to USB-C. I want something that will work in a car, and Windows 10 Mobile has extremely limited functionality in cars.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's been a good ride but tonight I traded in my ICON for a GS7. It's been giving me issues lately that are hardware related, buttons sticking, screen unresponsive, dead spots on the screen. Since I'm on Verizon I would have upgraded to the 950 if it were available but you know the story. And no, switching carriers is not an option, 1, I have 4 other lines in my family plan & 2, there is nothing compelling enough in the 950 or WM 10 to move my whole family to AT&T.

So far so good, and honestly Android is not nearly as bad as it's been portrayed. You customize this thing every which way one can think of & the MS apps are really good. I downloaded them all, there's not one app I was using before that it's Android counterpart is not as good or much better. I even have the Windows Central app because I follow & use more than just phones.

The GS7 with WM 10 would be a killer phone, It's a pipe dream I know....

hamphlet

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry Dusteater, just to get this straight. Of all the considerations which could sway you into switching to an Iphone, your only concern is whether or not it has a USB-C connection?? Are you serious?

Last edited:

Mlikh

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Started with an Omnia7 a long long time ago. Progressed and loved Windows Phone through all the years. Was fustrated and happy all at the same time.
My from my 930 went to 950 no biggy. Same love and :cool: frustration relationship.

Now been biting the bullet for a month on my New Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge.
Frustrating at first but really happy to have a phone that do not hold me back or want me to apologize for it on some fronts.

Have to say not at all missing my Lumia any more.
Mainstream is not the worse place to be. All the apps, all the speed, all the refinement, Working out great.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Why so stressed?

Exactly.
When I see people stressing over this app it reminds me of people trying to keep up with the joneses lol. Spending time worried about others have and the don't have....

and then seeing the 'light' or ending the torture and moving to android/ios....It's laughably melodramatic.

While it is good to be up to date as possible and finding the best experience for yourself, at the same time it is kind of sad (Actually very sad) just how serious people take stuff like an OS or phone choice.

Switch and let's not make such a huge production out of it or Stick with it and enjoy it for what it is and stop criticizing it for what it isn't (and degrading other who like it lol).

This concept unfortunately lost on most and I actually have more respect for individuals who are dual users (Windows 10 and Android/IOS) because they aren't sitting here saying "I want WIndows 10 to be better and i'm passing and i'll be back when it does" despite losing users making that more difficult. At least the dual users are diversifying their uses and actually seem more incline to support the platform while appeasing their needs.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I want something that will work in a car, and Windows 10 Mobile has extremely limited functionality in cars.
How so? What does the iPhone do that a Win10M device does not? No, I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely interested as I use my 950XL in-vehicle all the time and it does everything from navigation with traffic loads to real time tracking for loved ones, calls, TTS messaging, Bluetooth playback, with steering wheel control of music, podcasts or audible books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte