Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

giganotosaurus

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Had my 950 XL next to all my friends's iphones and couldn't still figure out the negativity that people spew for windows phone. Glad I didn't switch and post here. Glad I don't pay too much attention to what Verge has to say. bank of America here tomorrow and Starbucks in another couple. Spoitify connected to my Car stereo. What am I missing?

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
That phone is my next. Never thought that I would be buying a new iPhone but it is what it is.

I've been using a 6s Plus for a few weeks. You will not be disappointed. With iOS you get world class hardware no matter which model you choose, the best App Store and apps available anywhere, the best in store service available anywhere, the quickest updates in the industry, the best resell value is you're into that. There is simply nothing to dislike about the iOS experience. The main criticism Android and WP fans claim is that iOS is "boring". If you need a phone OS to be exciting you REALLY need to get out more.

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
How so? What does the iPhone do that a Win10M device does not? No, I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely interested as I use my 950XL in-vehicle all the time and it does everything from navigation with traffic loads to real time tracking for loved ones, calls, TTS messaging, Bluetooth playback, with steering wheel control of music, podcasts or audible books.
For starters, if I initiate a text (call Cortana, text ...) on my 950, Cortana is stuck in an open position and I can never reply to another text or have one read to me. I have to unlock my phone, at which point Cortana takes over the audio in the car because it was still open, and close the app. Not a safe thing to do while driving.

The broken state of Windows 10 Mobile in cars is irritating enough for me that I am considering switching because it was the most useful function for me with WP8/WP8.1. I don't care about apps, most mobile websites are functional enough for me to use. Even when I use my wifes iPad, I tend to use the browser before even thinking of hitting the App Store.

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
There is simply nothing to dislike about the iOS experience. The main criticism Android and WP fans claim is that iOS is "boring". If you need a phone OS to be exciting you REALLY need to get out more.
This statement paints with too broad of a brush and ignores participants on this very site who have left iOS for Windows Phone because they simply didn't like it. Similarly, people who live exciting lives may also want not need, a phone OS that they personally find stimulating-it's an individual thing. I suspect that like automobiles, clothing, etc., a fair amount of smartphone sales and innovations are driven by what people want (whatever their reasons for wanting) rather than what they need.

danmarce

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Two days ago my Lumia 1020 died.

Since I don't live in the US getting the part or another Windows Phone was difficult. I originally planed to get a cheap phone as replacement and then wait for a trip to the US to get the 950 XL.

OF course I researched for another options...

I decided to get a Xperia Z5 Premium. Why? Because just the previous week Microsoft abandoned the 1020, and there is no "1050" announced. Also I was thinking, they abandoned Windows Phone 6.x, Windows Phone 7, They abandoned 8, They abandoned a lot of users in 8.1, Why should I trust Microsoft, at least when is related to mobile?....

Since I do actually use a lot of Microsoft software and services, I installed all the Microsoft stuff on the Xperia, heck, it works even better than in Windows. Even Cortana. On the 1020 every time I tried to set a reminder or an alarm Cortana Closed, on Android? IT WORKS.

OneDrive works, Office Works, The Launcher that Microsoft did, Arrow, WORKS, Outlook ACTUALLY WORKS and is far better than the native Android client, I have my contacts, even remote desktop is there...

I even was able to connect to my QNAP NAS and do streaming, I was able to connect to a Windows Share to copy files, WINDOWS PHONE DOES NOT HAVE THE NATIVE OPTION TO CONNECT TO WINDOWS SHARES (Yet they call it "enterprise phone") !!!!!, the Xperia came with an app to do it by default...

I was able to Install Microsoft Health and IT WORKED WITH MY BAND...

I can root this phone with ease, I can install emulators, I can Install DosBox. I installed Firefox. LastPass AND THE PLUGIN FOR FIREFOX.

I'm an Adobe suscriber, BANG!, i got lightroom on the phone...

So, I got all my apps, and more....

About the app gap. PlayStore is a mess, While there are some apps I didn't had on Windows, there is so much garbage there it is scary.

So was is it. I think I was just tired of the empty promises and the constant betrayal of expectations

The only app I miss is Tweetium, is far better than ANY CLIENT, I got Talon, is good but not as good.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
How so? What does the iPhone do that a Win10M device does not? No, I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely interested as I use my 950XL in-vehicle all the time and it does everything from navigation with traffic loads to real time tracking for loved ones, calls, TTS messaging, Bluetooth playback, with steering wheel control of music, podcasts or audible books.

It will not read any text messages received via Skype. Since Skype and SMS are integrated into the messaging app, it's a very confusing experience why some messages won't be read aloud, but some will.

The biggest thing though is lack of MirrorLink. I want my phone display mirrored on the car display. Apple has CarPlay and Google has Android Auto that do this. MirrorLink is a cross platform that does the same thing. Microsoft has been a member for some years now, but unfortunately they haven't done anything to bring it to Windows.

Since I spend so much time in the car, this is critical functionality that just isn't there in Windows 10 Mobile. I have heard absolutely nothing from Microsoft on using their phones in a car.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I suspect that like automobiles, clothing, etc., a fair amount of smartphone sales and innovations are driven by what people want (whatever their reasons for wanting) rather than what they need.

You are correct, and 98.5 out of every 100 people prefer something other than WP or W10M. What does that tell you??

tequeterequeteque

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft fan leaving Windoes 10 mobile

I've been using windows phone since lumia 900 with 7.5, I have now a Lumia 950. I am going to wait until September to see of the apps I need appear on the store. If they don't I will be buying an Iphone 7. I have a little automation in my home using phillips hue, sengled pulse, logitech harmony, and I don't have any of those apps so I have to depend from an Ipod touch I have at home. Same thing with my bank app and many other.

I've been planning the migration for some time now, because I don't want to drop other microsoft services as skype, onedrive, outook mail, office 365 etc. Thanks to Microsoft all those apps are now on IOS and in a near future even the windows phone keyboard. The only thing that was a little difficult to achieve was syncing contacts create on the iOS to my Outlook account, but I did it too using Code Two sync for iCloud and achieves that.

So if after September I don't get those apps I am ready to move, even though I will be looking for those apps every day on the windows store and I hope the day to return to windows phones comes sooner than later

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I agree, to date, Apple and Android, have evolved the most complete overall mobile packages. Perhaps because they were less vested in the desktop environment.

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
A year ago I switched from a 1520 to an iPhone 6+. While WM10 can do almost everything iOS can do, iOS just makes it easier with fewer steps. I still like my 1520 and fire it up weekly to play around with it, but I use my iPhone to get stuff done quicker and easier. Not better, necessarily, but easier so I can move on.

crypso

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm someone who doesn't buy a phone if the recent one still works. This is why I didn't have a smartphone before my Lumia 820. The problem is, it is broken now. I liked how WP 8 improved but then it stopped and W10M is still not functioning (I tried it and it has too many bugs to pay for it IMO).
So I'm about to buy another WP 8.1 phone or moving to iOS or Android.

My question is if you can syncronise files, music, photos and contacts between an iPhone or Android phone and a PC just like you can do it with WP.
I always heard from iPhone users that they can't copy files to their phones and it is difficult to move music via iTunes (also, you need a program for that unlike with WP). Also, what are the options for Android? I also use OneDrive on a Windows 10 PC and on my phone, does it have the same functionality and integration on the other phone systems? All my contacts are saved on my Microsoft account, can I sync it with an Android phone or iPhone?

I also tried the new Outlook and Office apps for W10M and they are much better then on WP 8.1 - and as I heard they are the same on Android and iOS, which would be an impovement compared to my recent phone. I also often used HERE Drive which is cancelled for W10M but now available on the other OS-s and a lot of other navigation options too (Waze for example). The keyboard is also coming to Android and iOS. Also some other apps which I could and can live without but would be happy to have (like offline translators). So the functionality seems to be the same or even better on the other OS-s but I don't know about syncronization which was one of my priority when I bought the Lumia 820 back then.
As for the design I have always preferred WP. I would miss the back button on an iPhone which is also there on Android. However iOS is (or may be) more stable and clean than Android (which I also like in WP).

I would be happy for your answers and other tips about which OS to choose.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I originally had a HTC 8X and then moved onto a Lumia 925 which I've had for quite some time now. It ran pretty well with WP 8.1, but WP10 has been a complete mess IMHO. I got on the fast ring for updates and realize I'm running beta software, but expected as time and the release of the new production W10M phones came it would get better. Unfortunately it's not after many months now. I get constant issues with freezing, apps that exit and don't resume, notifications repeating, etc.

I love the WP interface and came to dislike the iOS one after being an iOS user for years prior to WP. Android is better now than it was then, but I still prefer WM. Unfortunately I don't think I can stick with it at this point, the usability just suffers too much vs. the other operating systems.

The fact MS is putting so much app support into the other mobile operating systems just kind of seals the deal for me.

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, it's been a good ride but tonight I traded in my ICON for a GS7. It's been giving me issues lately that are hardware related, buttons sticking, screen unresponsive, dead spots on the screen. Since I'm on Verizon I would have upgraded to the 950 if it were available but you know the story. And no, switching carriers is not an option, 1, I have 4 other lines in my family plan & 2, there is nothing compelling enough in the 950 or WM 10 to move my whole family to AT&T.

So far so good, and honestly Android is not nearly as bad as it's been portrayed. You customize this thing every which way one can think of & the MS apps are really good. I downloaded them all, there's not one app I was using before that it's Android counterpart is not as good or much better. I even have the Windows Central app because I follow & use more than just phones.

The GS7 with WM 10 would be a killer phone, It's a pipe dream I know....

I'm on the fence I really truly don't want to go back to Android. I will hold onto my ICON and use the latest preview that I could get. So far it's been running smooth. I'm going dread when I have to go back to 8.1. I would have switch carries, but 98% of my family and in-laws have Verizon.

I know it's a step back. Verizon still offers the 735 on their website.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with the desktop. I think it has to do with ingenuity. The desktop might help WP with universal apps - maybe. Dropping WP 7 did not help, but they have
been in the phone game for a while - without a successful strategy.

Nokia and Blackberry dominated the markets and they faded away.

So can Apple and Google.

I think Google is well positioned - search, youtube, driverless cars...

Apple just makes software to support their hardware - one vertical.

MS is more like Google - with poorer marketing. But well positioned.
They do dabble in hardware - so maybe they can keep WP around.
I agree, to date, Apple and Android, have evolved the most complete overall mobile packages. Perhaps because they were less vested in the desktop environment.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence I really truly don't want to go back to Android. I will hold onto my ICON and use the latest preview that I could get. So far it's been running smooth. I'm going dread when I have to go back to 8.1. I would have switch carries, but 98% of my family and in-laws have Verizon.

I know it's a step back. Verizon still offers the 735 on their website.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. My Icon is running just fine with .164, bugs pop up every now and then, but definitely daily driver. What sucks about the entire situation is after using Windows 10 it is nearly impossible to go back to 8.1. I hate that devices that are perfectly capable of running 10 aren't getting it, even from Microsoft. My next device will definitely not be Windows Phone, which I swore I would never do because I cannot get used to these other interfaces. The experience of everything else just flat out sucks, so for the time being, I will keep using the Icon until the news of updates coming out (that only a few devices can get) gets to me enough to where I find a good enough deal on either an iPhone 6 or a Nexus device.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I have really been on the fence about what phone to get, and I will admit right now I am very mad with Microsoft over this Windows 10 upgrade and the insider program, they left me and my M8 high and dry on both the upgrade and no more insider builds. I love Windows phone and my M8 runs the preview great, but after the onedrive and the upgrade lies I will never trust them again. So over this last weekend me and the wife swapped phones, we reset them both and set them up for us. I was very impressed with her Android phone and the Microsoft app's, I had everything, mail, Cortana, onedrive, here maps, but I also had my local bank app, my local paper app, any resturant app I wanted, my local tv station app. And I'm sorry I love Cotana but Google now works better. I will be getting a new Android phone. The wife could not wait to get her phone back. Apple is not even in the running, I am one of those guys that think it is a snooze fest ( boring ) and Apple puts a noose around your neck from the moment you buy an i-phone. So yes I will be leaving Windows phone, it has been a great 4 years, but I'm done.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the exact same boat as you. My Icon is running just fine with .164, bugs pop up every now and then, but definitely daily driver. What sucks about the entire situation is after using Windows 10 it is nearly impossible to go back to 8.1. I hate that devices that are perfectly capable of running 10 aren't getting it, even from Microsoft. My next device will definitely not be Windows Phone, which I swore I would never do because I cannot get used to these other interfaces. The experience of everything else just flat out sucks, so for the time being, I will keep using the Icon until the news of updates coming out (that only a few devices can get) gets to me enough to where I find a good enough deal on either an iPhone 6 or a Nexus device.

I installed a Windows launcher on my S7 because I really like the live tiles & dark theme of the OS. Now that I have that & all the MS apps, Onedrive, outlook, office, office lens Cortana, Bing, MSN apps, MS Health, groove, Xbox app, OneNote, Bing rewards app, HERE Maps & tranasit apps & Windows Central app. I'm NOT missing anything at all. Most of the tiles are live just like WM. Plus all the local & some national apps that I wanted(Comcast TV app, local gov't apps, my Credit Union app, my sons school app, etc) Yes I can pin any app to the start screen, I can pin a webpage to the start screen, I can pin a contact to the start screen. Some tiles are widgets which are better than in WM. For example the email tile I can scroll the email list & click on the email to reply right from the tile, I can customize each tile infinitely more than in WM. Oh & I'll be installing the MS keyboard when it's released also. Right now I'm using Swiftkey which they just bought & it's very good. If all these apps & services were not available I would have most likely not switched, now I regret not doing it sooner. I can tell anyone considering make the switch, without a doubt there is only 1 things WM does that is better, uninstall ANY app. MS apps-NOPE, phone design-NOPE, Cameras-NOPE, OS-NOPE, Updating the OS-NOPE. What does WM offer right now that would compel me to move my 6 lines to AT&T so I can buy a 950? As for the whole google spying on me deal, I made a another google account just for this phone, added a re-loadable Visa card from Walmart for buying apps & tuned off &/or disabled all google services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99