Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have really been on the fence about what phone to get, and I will admit right now I am very mad with Microsoft over this Windows 10 upgrade and the insider program, they left me and my M8 high and dry on both the upgrade and no more insider builds. I love Windows phone and my M8 runs the preview great, but after the onedrive and the upgrade lies I will never trust them again. So over this last weekend me and the wife swapped phones, we reset them both and set them up for us. I was very impressed with her Android phone and the Microsoft app's, I had everything, mail, Cortana, onedrive, here maps, but I also had my local bank app, my local paper app, any resturant app I wanted, my local tv station app. And I'm sorry I love Cotana but Google now works better. I will be getting a new Android phone. The wife could not wait to get her phone back. Apple is not even in the running, I am one of those guys that think it is a snooze fest ( boring ) and Apple puts a noose around your neck from the moment you buy an i-phone. So yes I will be leaving Windows phone, it has been a great 4 years, but I'm done.
Which Android device did you borrow from your wife? Which one are you getting?

Dragunov2

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
The main reason for me is that Win10 Mobile is much better looking than Win8.1 Mobile, but due some reasons I cannot move on on my older flagship.

In fact they did put a big middle finger towards me and I don't like this at all

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been using a 6s Plus for a few weeks. You will not be disappointed. With iOS you get world class hardware no matter which model you choose, the best App Store and apps available anywhere, the best in store service available anywhere, the quickest updates in the industry, the best resell value is you're into that. There is simply nothing to dislike about the iOS experience. The main criticism Android and WP fans claim is that iOS is "boring". If you need a phone OS to be exciting you REALLY need to get out more.

I noticed that with all of the apps I use. Most of my apps have had updates and I have been using iOS since the 1st. I see why they say that it is, but regardless, I love iOS. I bought my 5s used for what I thought was a good deal. Going to upgrade to the SE and stick with this phone for a while. I'm really enjoying the simplicity and power that it packs in everything. I hate to be one of those, but I also see why people say that "Apple is the truth" and "it just works". It really does, and I'm enjoying how it works.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
What I've been eyeing for lately is the Sony Xperia Z5. Its premium build quality and endless app selection, but I want it with Windows 10 Mobile to get that 'One Windows' experience (Groove, Xbox, OneDrive are best integrated with Windows). If Microsoft can pull off porting iOS apps to Windows, I'd be sooo happy. The 950 would be the last chance I'm giving Windows 10 Mobile.

glossallalia

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Switching platforms | Thinking of leaving...comment here!

After being with iOS for a few months, I am bored. There are no challenges like I had with wm10 preview to keep my interest and anticipation of the next update. With iOS it is what it is. I miss Cortana and live tiles. Also I miss glance on my lumia 810 which btw t-Mobile abandoned 6 months after introducing and MS also abandoned too with the wm10 update. But at least everything works I was also using my lumia 635 (512mb) after there were no more previews for the 810.

Aranya Tantu

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
After being with iOS for a few months, I am bored. There are no challenges like I had with wm10 preview to keep my interest and anticipation of the next update. With iOS it is what it is. I miss Cortana and live tiles. Also I miss glance on my lumia 810 which btw t-Mobile abandoned 6 months after introducing and MS also abandoned too with the wm10 update. But at least everything works I was also using my lumia 635 (512mb) after there were no more previews for the 810.

Which os design is nice to you,ios or wp ?

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
After being with iOS for a few months, I am bored. There are no challenges like I had with wm10 preview to keep my interest and anticipation of the next update. With iOS it is what it is.

Having a no-fuss no-hassle phone that just works without a whole lot of setting up could also be considered a good thing. I lean more towards Android because I feel it's the most powerful and flexible, but I think Android is only really good if you leverage all of its features and take the time to configure and set things up. I get that that's not everyone's cup of tea. And W10m, while good enough for daily use, still feels half-baked. I have 164 on my L640. Some will swear it works great, and I believe them, but for me, I get jerky scrolling, broken Rich Capture and Living Images, constant Cortana crashes, etc. Also, I think it's kind of stupid how certain system settings get installed onto the SD card, and they won't update until you manually move them to the internal storage. I know it'll get better one day, but W10m right now isn't something I'd recommend for people who just wants their stuff to just work.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Having a no-fuss no-hassle phone that just works without a whole lot of setting up could also be considered a good thing. I lean more towards Android because I feel it's the most powerful and flexible, but I think Android is only really good if you leverage all of its features and take the time to configure and set things up. I get that that's not everyone's cup of tea. And W10m, while good enough for daily use, still feels half-baked. I have 164 on my L640. Some will swear it works great, and I believe them, but for me, I get jerky scrolling, broken Rich Capture and Living Images, constant Cortana crashes, etc. Also, I think it's kind of stupid how certain system settings get installed onto the SD card, and they won't update until you manually move them to the internal storage. I know it'll get better one day, but W10m right now isn't something I'd recommend for people who just wants their stuff to just work.

You just described me. In my case, it's a good thing. Android seemed complex and overwhelming to me with all of the options. Especially ones that I know that I wouldn't use because I'm not one to tweak stuff. I change things like the background and theme (that's a WP thing), but that is good enough for me. Love the tiles idea of having a background. To me, that was the perfect amount of customization.

I desire stability and having things work, which is why I tried Insider one time and that was a wrap. iOS and 8.1 is great for that. Boring to some, but I enjoy the simplicity. At Bat disappearing was a disappointment.

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
How so? What does the iPhone do that a Win10M device does not? No, I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely interested as I use my 950XL in-vehicle all the time and it does everything from navigation with traffic loads to real time tracking for loved ones, calls, TTS messaging, Bluetooth playback, with steering wheel control of music, podcasts or audible books.

Mind if I join the discussion? I have been using WP since the HTC Titan, and Windows Mobile before. I was really a big fan, I even converted a few people too. But in december, I switched to iOS. The final thing that pushed me over to the "dark" side is because of my bank. It is one of the 4 biggest banks in my country, and their Windows Phone app was the best of all of them. After I upgraded to Windows 10, I could still use the app, but I did a hard reset, because that is usually better for the phone. Then I found out that I could no longer download the banking app. It said that it was not for Windows 10, even though it worked fine. After contact with the bank, trying to explain to them that all they have to do is tell the store that the app also works on Win 10, they told me they were not going to do it, because they hardly had any Windows Phone users, and the numbers were dropping. That is the day I bought an iPhone.

Paul Stoner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I remember about 4-5 years ago when the first generation of iPad came out. Steve Jobs made magic happen for the world. It was also strategically positioned at the coming of Windows 8/8.1, which, for many Windows users it was a slap to the face. I had an iPhone, and iPad, wanted a Mac but they were too expensive. Then, Tim Cook took over after the death of Steve Jobs. Apple has yet to really and truly show anything innovative since then. Then Satya Nadella took over Microsoft, kicking out the 'good old boys'. We now have this massive innovation - Windows 10, great Windows 10 phones, the Surface Pro 3/4, the Surface Book, Hololens, UWP, the 'app gap' slowly starting to shift towards Windows 10.....

I think it's actually too much too late. I love my Lumia 950, I love using it, but I see all these killer apps who jump immediately to Android, or iOS. Really, if I used the phone for just basic use, it totally kills anything on the market, especially the camera. But when I want to traverse some good mobile gaming, all the best titles are on Android or iOS. The developers won't even try! A few have started to, which is cool and all, but most have not. I am a Walking Dead fan, and would love to see the TellTale TWD games, and the TWD No Man's Land on Windows 10 / Windows 10 Mobile - even games like the Infinity Blade series, but devs just won't budge. Why? If it is as easy as Microsoft says it is, they can code their app using UWP in a VERY short period of time and can reach out to the Windows 10 Phone, Tablet, AND PC/Laptop platforms in just a few clicks and a few tweaks.

It's things like this that are pushing me further away from my love of Windows 10 Phones and the Windows 10 ecosystem at this point - kinda stuck and don't know what to do. All my friends and family get these raging sweet games, and I have to look up and say, "I have a Windows Phone"...that statement tells it all...what to do....what to do...?

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I desire stability and having things work, which is why I tried Insider one time and that was a wrap. iOS and 8.1 is great for that. Boring to some, but I enjoy the simplicity. At Bat disappearing was a disappointment.

Oh, I agree. I used to have an iPod Touch 4th Gen with iOS 4 and iOS 6 on it. I loved that thing. It was a little strict, but the really nice trade-off was how utterly hassle-free it was. I never had to waste my time troubleshooting it or anything.

It's really too bad about 8.1's abandonment. It was like the Goldilocks of phone OS, a nice compromise between iOS and Android. It was just right. I would've kept my L640 on it, but I really wanted the new Photos, OneNote, Edge, and Office apps, none of which would ever make its way to 8.1 phones.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I made the move from my believed ICON to the Note 5 back in October. Since then, I've really embraced multi-platform, having moved to Google Music/Spotify, Google Photos, Google Maps, Alexa for my Amazon Echo. That said, I do miss the simplicity when I was all in "Windows", even if I was missing out on some features and apps. But for now, I am sticking with my Note 5 and other multi-platform services until I see Windows Phone do a rebound. I do still fire up my ICON to keep it updated on Insider builds but it is now on the list to not receive them for now. So, I picked up s 640 to now stay up on the builds, apps and functionality.

mvierling

May 19, 2008
Visit site
Going from Windows Mobile 6.5, then Microsoft scraps Windows Mobile 6.5 and creates Windows Phone 7, then Microsoft scraps Windows Phone 7 and creates Windows Phone 8, then Microsoft scraps Windows Phone 8 and creates Windows 10 Mobile. I've had it with Microsoft's mobile division. They alienate their longtime supporters and there are effectively no apps that anyone wants on Windows Phone ecosystem. I started with the Motorola Q, then BlackJack II, then HTC Tilt, then Samsung Focus, then HTC Titan, then Lumia 900, then Lumia 520, 1020, 635. I've now switched to Android and have any app you can think of and Microsoft's apps are better on iOS and Android than on their on OS. Microsoft's mobile OS is dead, run away fast.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm on the fence I really truly don't want to go back to Android. I will hold onto my ICON and use the latest preview that I could get. So far it's been running smooth. I'm going dread when I have to go back to 8.1. I would have switch carries, but 98% of my family and in-laws have Verizon.

I know it's a step back. Verizon still offers the 735 on their website.

I'm like you...I dreaded the return to Android from my ICON. And while at times it does feel chaotic, the added functionality of the Note 5 has changed my world and made me more productive. Plus, I really like the Amazon Echo and not only is there no Alexa app for Windows Phone, but the "mobile" Alexa site will not work on any WM10 browser. I use the heck out of it's SHOPPING LIST function, so that is a must have app. Google Photos is fantastic. And not to mention the wealth of other useful apps and yes, I do like the Samsung Gear VR and Google Cardboard apps. Plus, the Note 5 just rocks. So if you have to leave Windows Phone for a while until we get a flagship on Verizon, the Note 5 isn't a bad choice, if not the S7.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Going from Windows Mobile 6.5, then Microsoft scraps Windows Mobile 6.5 and creates Windows Phone 7, then Microsoft scraps Windows Phone 7 and creates Windows Phone 8, then Microsoft scraps Windows Phone 8 and creates Windows 10 Mobile. I've had it with Microsoft's mobile division. They alienate their longtime supporters and there are effectively no apps that anyone wants on Windows Phone ecosystem. I started with the Motorola Q, then BlackJack II, then HTC Tilt, then Samsung Focus, then HTC Titan, then Lumia 900, then Lumia 520, 1020, 635. I've now switched to Android and have any app you can think of and Microsoft's apps are better on iOS and Android than on their on OS. Microsoft's mobile OS is dead, run away fast.

Agreed that the Microsoft apps are very good on Android. I would use Outlook but it doesn't seem to sync my contacts well with the entire "Android System."

Luckyshot000

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Well, I've reached my breaking point. Microsoft won't allow my 3 year old 928 to be upgraded. There aren't any phones available or on the horizon that I would consider an upgrade, at least without changing to a carrier that is crap for coverage. There is no official release date for the HP phone nor do I know if it will be within my budget. The Surface phone may or may not be announced this fall and if it is, the release date will be sometime in 2017.

I've owned a Windows phone since the HTC 7 Pro. I did a short 3 month stint with Android before I broke down and switched carriers to get the 928. Microsoft can't take a 2 year hiatus with no real hardware releases either by itself or partners and expect to survive....the 950 isn't going to cut it. If they had made it cross-carrier in the US I might have stayed with a Windows phone. Now I see no choice.

Microsoft left me in this position and I have no idea why. I could understand holding off on new hardware while working an a complete software upgrade, but when the new software comes with a low-midrange phone and a 'flagship' phone with very limited release...why would a customer stay with them?

Looks like I'll be part of the Android flock shortly.

Last edited:

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
So, you moved to Verizon, to get the 928? From what? I would guess AT&T would be next in coverage, below Verizon, depending on where you live, they may be better. Can't see them being the bottom of the list. The 950 and XL are decent devices. If you are looking for an excuse to leave Windows Phone, or really can't leave Verizon, I get it. I have an iPhone 6s and a Nexus 5x, and they are excellent devices. In certain places/situations Verizon's coverage is legendary. If you would still prefer Windows, as I do, the 950s are decent and AT&T serves me well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb