Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
So, you moved to Verizon, to get the 928? From what? I would guess AT&T would be next in coverage, below Verizon, depending on where you live, they may be better. Can't see them being the bottom of the list. The 950 and XL are decent devices. If you are looking for an excuse to leave Windows Phone, or really can't leave Verizon, I get it. I have an iPhone 6s and a Nexus 5x, and they are excellent devices. In certain places/situations Verizon's coverage is legendary. If you would still prefer Windows, as I do, the 950s are decent and AT&T serves me well.

If MS and VZ would stop trying to see who has the bigger e-penor. Maybe VZ customers wouldn't be the ones that's affected by their little ******* match and I would have a 950XL.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Going from Windows Mobile 6.5, then Microsoft scraps Windows Mobile 6.5 and creates Windows Phone 7, then Microsoft scraps Windows Phone 7 and creates Windows Phone 8, then Microsoft scraps Windows Phone 8 and creates Windows 10 Mobile. I've had it with Microsoft's mobile division. They alienate their longtime supporters and there are effectively no apps that anyone wants on Windows Phone ecosystem. I started with the Motorola Q, then BlackJack II, then HTC Tilt, then Samsung Focus, then HTC Titan, then Lumia 900, then Lumia 520, 1020, 635. I've now switched to Android and have any app you can think of and Microsoft's apps are better on iOS and Android than on their on OS. Microsoft's mobile OS is dead, run away fast.

Oh man.... This is so TRUE!!! Having the OneDrive app on both of my Note 4 and IP6s+, and they work like a charm. Files, photos and documents are loaded within seconds. But OneDrive app on my 640 XL is working like a snail! From the loading splash screen to refreshing of folders and files, to uploading / downloading of files, everything is just so slow! Sometimes, thumbnails of photos are not even showing! Using the app the just horrendous!

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh man.... This is so TRUE!!! Having the OneDrive app on both of my Note 4 and IP6s+, and they work like a charm. Files, photos and documents are loaded within seconds. But OneDrive app on my 640 XL is working like a snail! From the loading splash screen to refreshing of folders and files, to uploading / downloading of files, everything is just so slow! Sometimes, thumbnails of photos are not even showing! Using the app the just horrendous!

You are comparing two fairly new flagship devices (Note 4 and 6+) with a 640XL... how is that even a fair comparison?

How about you buy a 20 dollar Android or try to use an iphone 4 and do the comparison again, I'm willing to bet you won't find the performance that much better.

TuanLVT

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
i switched from my Lumia 1020 to Lumia 950 when it released and happy with it... and now i heard lumia 1020 cant get w10m makes me sad since i cant pass it to my cousin for better usage

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
i switched from my Lumia 1020 to Lumia 950 when it released and happy with it... and now i heard lumia 1020 cant get w10m makes me sad since i cant pass it to my cousin for better usage

Can you not get it unofficially through the Insider program?

I switched from iPhone to Windows Phone to Android to Windows Phone again and now I have a 950XL. Even though it has issues, mainly due to the OS, I believe it is worth it in the long run. I saw the S7 Edge, and, whilst I thought it was nice, there's just something I cannot put my finger on that Windows Phone has that iOS and Android does not so no switching platforms for me. Through thick and thin.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
You are comparing two fairly new flagship devices (Note 4 and 6+) with a 640XL... how is that even a fair comparison?

How about you buy a 20 dollar Android or try to use an iphone 4 and do the comparison again, I'm willing to bet you won't find the performance that much better.

Seriously, now you are saying that the comparisons are unfair due to flagships? I'm not even running graphics intensive games! How is that unfair for refreshing files and documents from onedrive if they are on the same networks? Does it really take lots of power to refresh files? Ain't suppose windows phone apps should be more efficient than any Android phones out there? Microsoft should really go back to their drawing board and redesign the apps for windows phone.

If you still want to see a fair comparisons, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwBBD97_oY

And please, stop saying that the reason is because Windows 10 mobile is an unfinished products anymore. I can tell you, running OneDrive a budgeted Xiaomi phone can even outperform the 640 XL.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: chmun77,
Compare the specifications for each phone.
I'll start:
Lumia 640 XL
$250 (Microsoft, March 2016)
CPU: Snapdragon 400 @ 1200 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Memory: 8 GB
MicroSD: 128 GB
Did I forget anything?

Last edited:

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'll start:
Lumia 640 XL
Did I forget anything?

Note 4
Available. Released 2014, October
CPU: Quad-core 2.7 GHz Krait 450 (Snapdragon 805)
RAM: 3 GB
Memory: 32 GB
MicroSD: 64 GB

Your point being?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I'll start:
Lumia 640 XL
Did I forget anything?

Lol!!!

Completely INCOMPARABLE. Two different OS's, vastly differing price bracket and best of all, Note 4 will soon be left behind with support (official). Lollipop 5.1? Not exactly the latest and greatest. Ok, the 640xl isn't going to win any beauty contests, or (ridiculous) comparisons to 'flagship' devices.

Let's look at the 640xl in it's proper context. In the UK, you can find one for ?125-150 sterling. Show me a budget android device with a comparable screen size, ram and onboard. Whilst you are looking at the budget android phones, find one that isn't stuck with Jellybean or first release lollipop. Find one with the same camera pixels in that bracket. What about an android that now runs an OS that works, pretty seamlessly with your existing laptop, tablet or PC? How's about the 640xl's little brother, the 640. Buy it in UK for ?49.00. Compare that to a low end droid? There is NO comparison.

Whilst the Note 4 is a very capable device, I've had both 3 and 4, you cannot compare it to a 640xl. The Note is a device aimed at enterprise, the 640 isn't. If you are going to compare the Note 4 with a device, comparable in all areas apart from the screen size, you need to look at the 930. These can be picked up for ?100 on amazon. This device is more comparable on specs than 640xl, apart from screen size.

Maybe we could compare my 5.7" device??

Mmmm octacore, liquid cooled, 3gb ram, 32gb on board, doesn't suffer memory leaks, secure, not open source, amazing screen, can leave my laptop at home and take phone and dock, failing that, WiFi direct etc, OR would that not be considered comparable. I say, each to their own, but if you leave then beat of luck and don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out

Brian Emmerling

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site

It is my understanding that the wording used was "at this time" meaning they may make them available at a later date. Most likely not through carrier though.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Lol!!!

Completely INCOMPARABLE. Two different OS's, vastly differing price bracket and best of all, Note 4 will soon be left behind with support (official). Lollipop 5.1? Not exactly the latest and greatest. Ok, the 640xl isn't going to win any beauty contests, or (ridiculous) comparisons to 'flagship' devices.

Let's look at the 640xl in it's proper context. In the UK, you can find one for ?125-150 sterling. Show me a budget android device with a comparable screen size, ram and onboard. Whilst you are looking at the budget android phones, find one that isn't stuck with Jellybean or first release lollipop. Find one with the same camera pixels in that bracket. What about an android that now runs an OS that works, pretty seamlessly with your existing laptop, tablet or PC? How's about the 640xl's little brother, the 640. Buy it in UK for ?49.00. Compare that to a low end droid? There is NO comparison.

Whilst the Note 4 is a very capable device, I've had both 3 and 4, you cannot compare it to a 640xl. The Note is a device aimed at enterprise, the 640 isn't. If you are going to compare the Note 4 with a device, comparable in all areas apart from the screen size, you need to look at the 930. These can be picked up for ?100 on amazon. This device is more comparable on specs than 640xl, apart from screen size.

Maybe we could compare my 5.7" device??

Mmmm octacore, liquid cooled, 3gb ram, 32gb on board, doesn't suffer memory leaks, secure, not open source, amazing screen, can leave my laptop at home and take phone and dock, failing that, WiFi direct etc, OR would that not be considered comparable. I say, each to their own, but if you leave then beat of luck and don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out

No you are wrong. You guys don't get it. It is not about which device has more powerful CPU or hardware. You do not need a powerful CPU to load OneDrive app. I have compared the speed of loading OneDrive app between a 640 XL and a 1520 (SD800 CPU?) and the app performances like time to download photos thumbnails, moving between folders, opening photos, etc are almost the same! Going by your theory and if CPU plays a part, 1520 should be performing much much faster isn't it? But no, both apps perform around with the same performance on each phone. Go and have a try if you don't believe me.

I know both are very different OSes. That's the point of the comparisons isn't it? What's the fun comparing windows phone to another windows phone?? The point is, with the same app developed by Microsoft, OneDrive performs much quicker on Android / iOS - in terms of app launch speed, downloading of thumbnails, navigating between folders, etc etc. We are not comparing intensive gaming here. I bet the hardware of 640 XL is more than enough to handle the OneDrive app. The problem is that even apps made by Microsoft are not even optimized on windows phone itself.

sealuva

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I had the Icon until just recently. I held on for as long as I could but honestly there was nothing really keeping me from switching besides the lure of another OS other than Andrioid and Apple. I never liked the iPhone, too restrictive. I did like Android but was a Windows guy at heart and wanted to give it a try. While I liked 8.1 it felt a bit outdated, so I opted to use the Windows 10 insider builds. Yes there are test builds, but really after this long they still cant get all the bugs out. Just Outlook and Edge alone stink, and they are core apps from them. I struggled to find apps that fit my lifestyle and would often have to use third party ones just to get buy. I finally had enough and went with a Galaxy 7 Edge. While this phone is not revolutionary it gives me everything I looked for in a phone. Clean OS, great build quality, waterproof, SD card slot, wireless charging and most important all the apps I need and then some. None of them being Beta apps or third party. I'm not sure I will even care if Microsoft gets their act together with their Mobile platform. It is too late for me and that ship sailed.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I had the Icon until just recently. I held on for as long as I could but honestly there was nothing really keeping me from switching besides the lure of another OS other than Andrioid and Apple. I never liked the iPhone, too restrictive. I did like Android but was a Windows guy at heart and wanted to give it a try. While I liked 8.1 it felt a bit outdated, so I opted to use the Windows 10 insider builds. Yes there are test builds, but really after this long they still cant get all the bugs out. Just Outlook and Edge alone stink, and they are core apps from them. I struggled to find apps that fit my lifestyle and would often have to use third party ones just to get buy. I finally had enough and went with a Galaxy 7 Edge. While this phone is not revolutionary it gives me everything I looked for in a phone. Clean OS, great build quality, waterproof, SD card slot, wireless charging and most important all the apps I need and then some. None of them being Beta apps or third party. I'm not sure I will even care if Microsoft gets their act together with their Mobile platform. It is too late for me and that ship sailed.
You sounds like the exact same scenario as me. My Icon has a hairline crack in the corner of the screen and I know my days are numbered. It felt like lack of GoPro support that surfaced yesterday was the final straw. Switching carriers is not an option for me and it won't solve the app gap. I am missing enhanced IoT experiences and have noticed other services I use are going with a mobile first design philosophy and it does not include Windows 10. I honestly don't think Microsoft has done a very good job educating developers about the universal app strategy as I seem to be educating them when I inquire as to their W10 plans. More and more companies are going mobile first design and those plans do not include Windows in any form. I am giving it until after Build and if no big announcements will also be getting the S7Edge. I really don't want to have to switch but Verizon seems more interested in Android and iPhone users than W10 Mobile users, especially if you are a Verizon customer.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Can you not get it unofficially through the Insider program?

I switched from iPhone to Windows Phone to Android to Windows Phone again and now I have a 950XL. Even though it has issues, mainly due to the OS, I believe it is worth it in the long run. I saw the S7 Edge, and, whilst I thought it was nice, there's just something I cannot put my finger on that Windows Phone has that iOS and Android does not so no switching platforms for me. Through thick and thin.

It is my understanding that some phones are even blocked in the insider program...that is blocked from these latest updates...they could join insiders but won't get the very latest build...

Joseph Avena

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I switched over last week purchasing a Sony Xperia Plus. It is running Marshmallow, and the UI is very clean. My decision was two fold, and unfinished OS and Apps. I'm going to wait it out to see where the OS heads. Also, the app gap at this point is not acceptable, I don't think MS did a good job getting developers on board. There is hope is Bank of America is releasing a new today, but I will sit it out them make a decision.

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
It's getting to the point now where performance on each platform isn't the issue, it's the ecosystem, which has been my personal belief for some time now.

It's been about 18 months since I left WP for iOS. I miss WP like anything, it's like the faint pull of an old love when I see a WP somewhere (extremely rare these days).

But I'm enjoying life on iPhone and am glad with the choice I made. Few to no limitations, an ecosystem that's thriving, and everything just WORKS, no matter what country I'm visiting.

No regrets.

Last edited:

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
You sounds like the exact same scenario as me. My Icon has a hairline crack in the corner of the screen and I know my days are numbered. It felt like lack of GoPro support that surfaced yesterday was the final straw. Switching carriers is not an option for me and it won't solve the app gap. I am missing enhanced IoT experiences and have noticed other services I use are going with a mobile first design philosophy and it does not include Windows 10. I honestly don't think Microsoft has done a very good job educating developers about the universal app strategy as I seem to be educating them when I inquire as to their W10 plans. More and more companies are going mobile first design and those plans do not include Windows in any form. I am giving it until after Build and if no big announcements will also be getting the S7Edge. I really don't want to have to switch but Verizon seems more interested in Android and iPhone users than W10 Mobile users, especially if you are a Verizon customer.

As stated above, long time Icon fan and user but went Note 5 (and am actually waiting on the Note 6.) I still fire up my ICON but I noticed it doesn't receive the latest insider builds anymore. I also try to see if added functionality has come to it and sadly, no. For example, I need the Amazon Alexa app for the grocery list alone. No go, not even the Alexa website will work and no function for it in the Amazon app.

As for Universal App platform...too much "wait and see"...we need it now.

bizzy-glx

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Longtime Windows Phone User, from all the way back at WP7 to WP8.1 on a NL1520.3 (one of the Unicorn 1520's, with QI).

My company is going to a two-factor authentication solution, and I was told that I'd need to switch to Android or iOS.

I bought a LG G5.

I hated it.

I returned it for a Galaxy S6 Edge+, which I'm currently using.

I hate it almost as much.

I was thinking about returning the Samsung for a iPhone 6 of some sort, but I'm like 99% sure I'm just going to go with a 950 XL at this point.

When I'm at home the Galaxy S6 Edge+ sits idle, only used for voice/SMS, and I use my 1520 via WiFi for everything else (games, social, etc.).

Luckily, my company's two-factor authentication solution will be SMS-based, not app-based, so I can safely go back to WP.

Long story short...why do I not like Android...to me, it's like going from Windows 10 back to Windows 95.

Chris Moore12

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm so pissed off with Windows Mobile 10 and its inconsistent performance, app crashes, etc. I took mine down to Production after being in Fast Ring since the start of Insiders and found the stability seemed even worse.

I reset back to Windows Phone 8.1 on my Lumia 640 at least this seems snappy and usable again.

I have tried an iPhone 5 and been running a Galaxy S5 alongside my Lumias 640/1520. I don't like iOS (although everything does just work!!) and found Android turns into a sticky laggy mess after a day or so of use (I only miss Ingress!!) Windows on phones runs how I want a phone, the Live Tiles, Cortana (pre Windows 10) it used to be a solid performer. The incremental builds don't seem like progress anymore. I'll stick out on 8.1 for a while for sanity sake, maybe something earth shattering will happen to bring Windows 10 Mobile back from the slippery slope it seems to be on. It is a frustrating hot mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb