Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

b3232408

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Current driver: Lumia 925 since November 2013

Comments:
I don't enjoy having to use WP10 insider to use the modern office apps.
Spotify app is so ridiculously slow.
Battery is beat (expected).

Otherwise happy but moving to android next round.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
You are only or mostly referring to apps to consider this. And even then, you are speaking of quality or number of apps that people are using only rarely as being the core experience of a mobile phone user and the reason why the grass is greener elsewhere.
But honestly, the core apps on Windows mobile are very good : Bing Map (especially the latest version) is much better than Apple Map and give Google Map a run for its money, all Microsoft apps (Outlook, OneDrive, Phone, Messaging...) or the OS are good. There are plenty of social, 3rd party app which are excellent.
A lot of time, people refers to the lack of a specific bank as a dealbreaker, but let's be serious, who want to manage his accounts constantly from its phone ?
For instance, my local bank has an iOS application but not for Windows mobile. Except that I cannot make money transfer through the app (on iOS) so basically, anyway, I have to use the website so this is the same experience between iOS and Windows mobile.

Unfortunately, Bing maps is not better than Apple maps or Google maps. I think it is good in the US, but maps outside US are very bad. There are lots of missing details for many locations. If you want, I can always get some screen shot for you to see.

"who want to manage his accounts constantly from its phone" you said? Oh you will be surprised I can tell you! If no one bother to do mobile banking, why do you think banks are wasting efforts and resources to make such apps? Using browsers? Of course you can do that. But why will I use a browsers when the banks already provide native apps? Unless you are talking about users on windows phone which are forever lacking native apps?

Yes, maybe a first user would have to look in the store obviously to see MyTube or 6Tag or others. But once you experience MyTube for instance, you realized how the experience is much superior to the Google YouTube app on iOS.
So what matters to ME is to have the best experience.

By the way, Facebook W10 version is fine. You say it is crap, I honestly do not see the different with iOS. Is there ? I am not saying there is none but we may have a different definition of what is trash.

Oh no.... I really starting to wonder if you actually has experienced official apps on iOS / Android.... For all the 3rd party YouTube apps out there on windows phone, I cannot even see my saved playlists at all. I have tried TubeCast, MyTube, PerfectTube, etc.... All unable to show my saved playlists unlike official one on iOS / Android. I really don't see how's that "superior" experience for the 3rd party ones.

The Facebook W10 version can't even display photos posted in the replies section properly. Photos are always cropped because they don't even resize. And there is a big difference - no reactions icons for Facebook W10 version! In case you are not even aware of what's reactions are???

I get that but let's be real here please for a minute. The only phone not getting W10 are the one with 512Mb of RAM. We are speaking of sub 100$ phone. What do you think the experience is on Android with such phone ?
Do you really think it is better to have a very low end phone, running 2 generation old Android with the latest app but running very poorly ?
I mean, even a 50$ Lumia 640 is getting W10 and it is running great.
Honestly, this is the wrong argument here. Especially to promote Android that has a record of offering very poor upgrade support for most phone you may purchase.

No no...... What about Lumia 1320 with 1GB ram? And what about 1020 with massive 2GB of ram?? Well, I give you that W10M cannot handle 512MB of ram. But what makes you think Android can?? And please don't get off track here. I'm quoting you in the previous post that you are unhappy about your OnePlus phone still running KitKat. But you have not answer me - can KitKat run the latest versions of apps from the Play Store? On the other hand, can a WP8.1 runs Facebook W10 UWP version? I bet you get the idea now....

Again, are you speaking of incentive from people to leave iOS now ? Or the benefit that people would get leaving Windows mobile to go to iOS ?

iPhone users are as happy as Android or Windows mobile users to have great features. Just go on the forum and check the reaction of Apple users getting at last a 4,7" screen, or a better camera, or more RAM, or reversible charging cable, or Live Image or...
It is just that when you never experienced a feature, of course, you do not realize how much you miss it.

I think people value all those things : great and prompt OS update and security that you enjoy with iOS (and Windows mobile) but also hardware at different price point with great features as you enjoy with Android (and Windows mobile).

You cannot segregate people like this, thinking that Apple users are ready to pay 1000? a phone which does not have half of a 500? Android flagship and that Android users do not care running 2 generation old OS. That is condescendant and cannot be further from the truth.

I dunno.... you tell me. I was replying to your comments of the following:
"And for people switching to the iPhone, I think you have to have some courage to stomach purchasing 970? (here in Europe) for a phone that has no wireless charging, no quick charging, a small screen compared to its footprint (and not as good as the 950), a poor camera without hardware button to launch, no double SIM, no extension possible."

Hence I explained to you why those people will rather spend so much on an iPhone even though an iPhone is lacking in the areas you mentioned. Because apps and OS updates are so much well supported than on windows phone.

But that is the point. Do you need the very latest possibility of putting italic or bold in Whatsapp to enjoy it ?
People have been using Whatsapp since years without that and they were not complaining.

You still don't get it do you? If most of your friends are using iPhone / Android, they can use such functions and you are the alien in the group here. You will not able to ENJOY the new features. Why? Because app supports on Windows phone are always much slower than other platforms.

Common, you are not serious. Why are iPhone users using Google or Microsoft services so much ?
Google Drive and OneDrive are miles better than iCloud drive.
Same for Outlook, Google Map / Bing Map, Office, Office lens, ...

Seriously?? These are OFFICIAL apps. OMG......

Then, you have what I explained about the main / basic / important things for a phone. A phone must be performant for communicating (phone, sms, mail, ...), for navigation, for web browsing... And all the most important things that you do most with a phone, the Windows phones are as good if not better (as explained) compared to iPhone. I am speaking with 1st hand experience and this is my opinion.
I could perfectly choose to buy also an iPhone for me (on top of my wife) but it would be simply a downgrade for me.

All you mentioned are because you are just not used to iOS. Nothing much and nothing about there. On the other hand, ask an iPhone user to use windows phone, I think they will be shocked by all the live tiles. Are you saying that iPhone cannot perform well for all the basic task you mentioned? The downgrades for you are fine for others.

So I loose plenty of Cortana functionalities. If I put a favorite on Bing Map (because no Google Map for Windows, available offline), I can set up location based reminder and have those favorites on my phone. I loose this with Android because I need to use Google Map on the browser, with internet connection (and a poor touch experience).
I loose my bookmark favorites (because Chrome is a non option for me on a Windows tablet because it is bad). I have to pay twice my apps. I loose possibility to send SMS from my PC. I have to deal with 2 different interfaces....

Google can use location reminder as well with Google Now. I don't see what you are loosing here. Are you loosing the reminder functionality or are you loosing internet connection? You are confusing others here. As for bookmarks, I have no issues with syncing my bookmarks with Google Chrome at all. The only issue here is yourself because you do not want to use Chrome. See?

As explained above, it is far from being so rosy. What you gain on one side, you definitely loose on other.

Well, haters are going to hate while fans of a platform will find any excuses and continue to use it. But being a user of 3 platforms for so long, I still stand that the grass are definitely greener with Android / iOS.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
After reading the latest articles on WP10M. I am officially bailing on WP. I cannot say what I want to say here about Microsoft. But, I guess getting duped 3 times with mobile is enough!

Drops Mic (minion Style!)

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I would like to make it clear to everyone that I have never owned a Windows Phone/Mobile. I fully understand the question, however I believe the same reservations for upgrading or moving to WM10 apply to both. I choose to upgrade every 12 months and this tradition began with the purchase of an iPhone, this meant around September time every year I'd get the newest model.

My first was the iPhone 3G and currently I have a 6S+. I've owned every model in between disregarding the 5c and standard 6/6S.
A few years ago now I began to get bored with the look and feel of the iPhone so after only a few months I decided to trade my iPhone 4 for a Blackberry. I had heard only positive things about the Blackberry, how everyone seemed in love with the keyboard and the great BBM service. My experience fell way short of expectations, the device would constantly lock/freeze for no apparent reason the easiest to sort this was to remove the battery anything unsaved would be lost. The selection and quality of Apps available to download were poor with the exception of the Facebook app, the internet browser was slow and sometimes hard to read and the build quality was poor. In the short time I had a Blackberry the device was replaced because the trackpad had stopped working and dust/debris began collecting inside the device on top of the screen.
When the iPhone 4S was announced I was so overjoyed at the though of getting my iPhone back and swore never to try a 'change' again.

The point of boring story was to give some back ground to my past experience with trying a new OS/Phone. Now I'm seriously considering ditching iPhone/iOS to try something new again. My problem is the cost of having to re-purchase apps (if available), a genuine fear of the unknown, the confusion surrounding compatibility of seemingly every new Windows Phone version, models available Microsoft? Samsung? HTC? - their future life span and Microsofts lack of interest/confidence in the future of WM.
Now is probably the worst time to try out a Windows Phone device while it's in yet another of its transition phases, especially now that it's not part of Microsoft's focus until at least 2017. Even if you're an optimist, it's probably going to be at least couple of years before it's worth taking another look and even then it will probably no longer be a consumer orientated device.

congthanhgiong

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
all I need is a stable Edge that I can browse without any hiccups, freeze. That's all. Apps not really important. I think it's the basic demand and MS have failed to deliver.

GusterBuster

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I got my Galaxy S7 and boy oh boy I can't believe I missed that much usability in a smartphone! It's like finally finding a vast oasis in a dry desert. I can't handle all of these apps! lol. As much as I like WP, I don't think I'm gonna miss it that much. And of course goodbye "RESUMING" Screen! Burn in hell!

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I got my Galaxy S7 and boy oh boy I can't believe I missed that much usability in a smartphone! It's like finally finding a vast oasis in a dry desert. I can't handle all of these apps! lol. As much as I like WP, I don't think I'm gonna miss it that much. And of course goodbye "RESUMING" Screen! Burn in hell!

I know right, I added about 54 apps on my 6p over 2 days, I went a bit crazy.
Funny your bring that "RESUMING" issue up, my 735 didn't do that very often, no more really than the 6p stutters once in a while. The 6p was already fixed once by Google. The 735 never yet, it even flew off the roof of the car at 25-30mph. Screen protector and incipio dual case on it, not a scratch.

Last edited:

640xxxl

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
The cloud is the future. Modern smartphones aren't backed up locally anymore. It works the same with iOS and Android. Those are backed up to Apple's or Google's servers, like the way Windows 10 Mobile is backed up to Microsoft's servers.

I agree and I want cloud more than storing backup locally. BUT, I want more control, for SMS, to access them from PC and sync locally, not some sort of backup without user interaction, where bugs can happen and you lose important messages.

Tonytoronto2015

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
After having owned a HTC HD7, Nokia 710, Lumia 521 and Lumia 925, no more windows phones for me. In fact, bought my second droid phone today, Nexus 5x, sweet little thing.
Its getting ridiculous the amount of main Apps missing on windows. The main ones they do have, are so feature lacking compared to android it not even funny. Its so sad,even MS office apps work better on android than they do on windows mobile. Sucked having to buy some apps again, and there's one app i really miss (Amazing Weather), the tiles were something i missed at first, not anymore. Heck, even Here Apps are working great, and free too.
Just an update, the last windows phone in the family, my younger kid's Nokia Lumia 521 got retired this morning for good. Purchased a second Nexus 5x, couldn't pass up on the deal. So, that's it, from 4 windows phone in the family down to zero.

Tonytoronto2015

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
all I need is a stable Edge that I can browse without any hiccups, freeze. That's all. Apps not really important. I think it's the basic demand and MS have failed to deliver.
Apps is the most important!! o/s are bare, its all about the apps. That's where microsoft lost the war. Too slow and many main apps missing, or badly missing in features, or all together abandoned.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently thinking about grabbing a Sony Xperia X or XA, or maybe a Galaxy A7 2016 at the end of the year, depending on the price. The (likely) better battery life than my 930 is a big plus. Until there I'll keep this phone, I'm happy with it but I also want to switch at the same time...

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth, I just got back into Windows Phone with a Lumia 735 after being on an iPhone 6 for 13 months. I couldn't stand not having such a beautiful UI, even with jailbreaking. App gap isn't as bad as I thought in terms of my own personal usage, but there's no denying that the gap for the average user is quite immense.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

It was said that RESUMING will be a history on W10M, by the fans. But no, I'm still seeing Resuming on both of the 1520 and 640 XL. I guess it has NOTHING to do with faster CPU or not. Resuming is like a trademark of Windows phone.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
It was said that RESUMING will be a history on W10M, by the fans. But no, I'm still seeing Resuming on both of the 1520 and 640 XL. I guess it has NOTHING to do with faster CPU or not. Resuming is like a trademark of Windows phone.

To be fair, i barely see resuming screens on my 930 after updating to W10M... i think this is mostly caused by lack of optimization from developers. Sometimes they just don't put the same effort on WP apps compared to their iOS and Android counterparts.

congthanhgiong

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Apps is the most important!! o/s are bare, its all about the apps. That's where microsoft lost the war. Too slow and many main apps missing, or badly missing in features, or all together abandoned.

sure, I don't argue about that. My point here is the basic demand like a stable browser but MS cannot deliver after so many builds. Without apps, you can at least search on internet but it keeps damn freezing and unresponsive to touch.

I've been a Wp user ever since 7.0 till the last builds, and haven't missed out any builds since the first early stages of Win 10 which turned my phone into a brick :).

Still, i'm a patient guy, and I has no intention to switch to other platform. Just improve Edge, then I'm happy.

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Well..i thing i belong in this thread now. After years and so many windows platform changes (from 6,5 to 10) i think i'm on the edge of insanity. I keep using windows phones because i truly belive they can make it, but since end od 2015 my faith in this platform is falling apart. Too many promises and too many ,,starting over"..it does remind me of my ex. So long story short, i will keep atleast one of windows phone in shelf and get some midrange android. Wich one? I don't know.. Last time i pick up android phone was s2 mini on gingerbread and now waching videos about android i see it's improved and nexus 5x seems like good phone for me.
Ps. Also if you know some phone in that price range around 200-270? worth the look, give me a pm or quote. Would appriciate.

InspectHerGadget

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Well..i thing i belong in this thread now. After years and so many windows platform changes (from 6,5 to 10) i think i'm on the edge of insanity. I keep using windows phones because i truly belive they can make it, but since end od 2015 my faith in this platform is falling apart. Too many promises and too many ,,starting over"..it does remind me of my ex. So long story short, i will keep atleast one of windows phone in shelf and get some midrange android. Wich one? I don't know.. Last time i pick up android phone was s2 mini on gingerbread and now waching videos about android i see it's improved and nexus 5x seems like good phone for me.
Ps. Also if you know some phone in that price range around 200-270€ worth the look, give me a pm or quote. Would appriciate.
I have done much the same thing. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 back in October and I enjoy the phone very much, great camera and fast with fantastic screen.
My Nokia 1520 I just keep oiled and polished and filled with preservation grease. In the event of Windows 10 Mobile showing promise, I will take it out of storage.

Plamen Nicolov

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Ps. Also if you know some phone in that price range around 200-270€ worth the look, give me a pm or quote. Would appriciate.

I'm in the same boat as you, brother! After years of truly believing things are getting better (from WM6 to last builds of 10), I got fed up and jumped ship to Android. Awful primitive OS, but works and has all the apps in the world with some pretty nice hardware too. I landed exactly in your price range with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, a pretty decent bit of kit with an unbeatable price. There's also the Meizu MX5, which is gorgeous, for the same kind of cash. So I put a Lumia 920 on the shelf for the times I need to remind myself where I've been and enjoy 4000mAh battery life and a very responsive OS, unlike the battery drain sluggish abomination which W10 has become lately. A good concept, but very poorly done.

Ross Kielman

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Just a quick question to those who have moved on to a nexus 5x (especially coming from a 930/ICON or 950):

How do you find the camera? I hear that it may be a little slow, though decent in terms of quality.

I can't help but feel that moving from a L930 to a Nexus 5x is a step back in hardware :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786