Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Metro

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
So, I am in this boat now. Sigh. After almost 2 years and using an HTC One M8, 830, and most recently the 950 I switched to iOS.

The lack of banking and finance apps coupled with my firms lack of support for WP are the main drivers.

I have to be honest, it's a bit liberating to have a phone that just works. I feel like I was always fighting with my WP, not the case with iOS. Still, can't seem to part with my 950 or 830 though....

Blu p_d off

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Well..i thing i belong in this thread now. After years and so many windows platform changes (from 6,5 to 10) i think i'm on the edge of insanity. I keep using windows phones because i truly belive they can make it, but since end od 2015 my faith in this platform is falling apart. Too many promises and too many ,,starting over"..it does remind me of my ex. So long story short, i will keep atleast one of windows phone in shelf and get some midrange android. Wich one? I don't know.. Last time i pick up android phone was s2 mini on gingerbread and now waching videos about android i see it's improved and nexus 5x seems like good phone for me.
Ps. Also if you know some phone in that price range around 200-270? worth the look, give me a pm or quote. Would appriciate.

Marko,
Take a look at the new Elephone P9000 phenomenal phone for the money with great reviews, or if you want to wait a few weeks for something spectacular then the Zopo Speed 8 with Helio x20 chip is on preorder from Zopomobileshop.com for $279 (I guess around ?200?).
I ditched my Blu Win HD LTE last month after 12 months of being jerked around by Blu and MS and am very pleased to be back with Android, the P9000 is great and Android 6 is the best yet, even more when Google pay hits the UK soon.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, i barely see resuming screens on my 930 after updating to W10M... i think this is mostly caused by lack of optimization from developers. Sometimes they just don't put the same effort on WP apps compared to their iOS and Android counterparts.

MS does not put the effort in that apple or google does either. Not the developers. Resuming has nothing to do with apps...its the OS. MS clearly does not care about their customers of phone. that's for sure!

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Well..i thing i belong in this thread now. After years and so many windows platform changes (from 6,5 to 10) i think i'm on the edge of insanity. I keep using windows phones because i truly belive they can make it, but since end od 2015 my faith in this platform is falling apart. Too many promises and too many ,,starting over"..it does remind me of my ex. So long story short, i will keep atleast one of windows phone in shelf and get some midrange android. Wich one? I don't know.. Last time i pick up android phone was s2 mini on gingerbread and now waching videos about android i see it's improved and nexus 5x seems like good phone for me.
Ps. Also if you know some phone in that price range around 200-270? worth the look, give me a pm or quote. Would appriciate.

asus zenfone 2 with 4gb ram. AWESOME phone, not a huge amount of cash. I am ordering a zp2 deluxe SE. 128gb on board storage plus a 128gb SD card included. Also comes with a sweet carbon fiber back. It holds its own against the Gs7 edge in speed, like milliseconds slower...but costs 1/4 of the s7. Great phone!

I am done with WP. WOW, never thought I would say that, and up until they announced no updates for my 1020, no any development of wp for the "foreseeable future", meaning new stuff is "coming soon", I am done. MS in the phone side of things is done. They just don't care.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So, I am in this boat now. Sigh. After almost 2 years and using an HTC One M8, 830, and most recently the 950 I switched to iOS.

The lack of banking and finance apps coupled with my firms lack of support for WP are the main drivers.

I have to be honest, it's a bit liberating to have a phone that just works. I feel like I was always fighting with my WP, not the case with iOS. Still, can't seem to part with my 950 or 830 though....

You can still keep them around to watch the platform. Even though I recently got the SE, I have no intentions of getting rid of my 640 (or 435 that I use as a music player). I really liked that phone, especially with my green back. I agree with you, iOS really does just work and I enjoy that.

Yeah, having one of my top apps pulled from the store meant that I'm done.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
no need to keep my 1020 if all it is, is a camera now...no updates to official 10, no updates via insider for 10 for those of us who are running smoothly on it.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I have a 535 using. Unsupported on w10m. But im smoothly running the insider program. No issues except i cant select hdr or flash in the camera. But other than that everything works smoothly. I also have a 1020 which is waiting for a screen replacement. Last time I used it, I was on the insider and I plan to update it and continue. Have you not tried the insider program? Just enjoy it. The ram on the 1020 is 1gb I think, so it could be getting an official update at a later date.

jeff92k7

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I need some convincing on whether to stick around or jump ship. I have a 1520 that I have enjoyed for the most part, but I got it primarily for the MS Office apps that were then released on the other platforms shortly after I got my 1520. From what I hear, the Office apps are better on iOS and Android than they are on Windows Phone.
Then late last week, MS pushed 14295 to the slow ring (which I was on) and it practically bricked my 1520. Nothing worked right. After four days now, multiple hard resets, soft resets, reverting to 8.1 with the WDRT, and repeated backup restores, I finally got my 1520 operational again and back to 10586.164 where it had been stable for a while. However, in the process, I lost my text message history. It never did restore. I also found my battery draining rapidly yesterday since OneDrive decided to reupload all the photos on my SD card even thought they already had been uploaded previously.
I'm very frustrated with MS right now and with the Build announcement that phones are not their focus at this time it leaves me little hope that Windows phone will improve like I had hoped.
I am now thinking of going back to iPhone, or even trying out Android (and I've been avidly against Android for years due to Google tracking everything you do and selling it to advertisers). That's how frustrated I am with MS and Windows Phone right now.

So I need some convincing... should I stick it out hoping it gets better? I feel like I've been doing this ever since getting the 1520 and it keeps getting worse no matter how much I hold out hope that tomorrow will be better.
Should I go back to iPhone. I'm not super happy with Apple since there are things in iOS that just don't work and there are no error codes to research to figure out what went wrong. You just have to deal with stuff that doesn't work right and hope that Apple fixes it eventually.
Should I try Android? As I said above, I'm not cool with the idea of Google tracking everything I do on my phone and selling my info to advertisers. I want some sort of privacy. Additionally, EVERYONE that I have ever known that has an Android phone says the same thing... "I love my Android, but...." and then they proceed to tell of some feature or bug or frustration that they have with it.

I can deal with some issues. I can deal with not having every 3rd party app under the sun. I cannot deal with a smartphone that fails at the most basic functions: email, texting, calendar, phone calls - all of which I've had issues with on my 1520. I also want a very nice camera (like the 1520).

So what would you do? What is the lesser of the three evils right now?

Kar98

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking at the Nexus 5X really hard right now after the latest built caused our 640s to enter an endless reboot cycle when there was no WiFi available.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I need some convincing on whether to stick around or jump ship. I have a 1520 that I have enjoyed for the most part, but I got it primarily for the MS Office apps that were then released on the other platforms shortly after I got my 1520. From what I hear, the Office apps are better on iOS and Android than they are on Windows Phone.
Then late last week, MS pushed 14295 to the slow ring (which I was on) and it practically bricked my 1520. Nothing worked right. After four days now, multiple hard resets, soft resets, reverting to 8.1 with the WDRT, and repeated backup restores, I finally got my 1520 operational again and back to 10586.164 where it had been stable for a while. However, in the process, I lost my text message history. It never did restore. I also found my battery draining rapidly yesterday since OneDrive decided to reupload all the photos on my SD card even thought they already had been uploaded previously.
I'm very frustrated with MS right now and with the Build announcement that phones are not their focus at this time it leaves me little hope that Windows phone will improve like I had hoped.
I am now thinking of going back to iPhone, or even trying out Android (and I've been avidly against Android for years due to Google tracking everything you do and selling it to advertisers). That's how frustrated I am with MS and Windows Phone right now.

So I need some convincing... should I stick it out hoping it gets better? I feel like I've been doing this ever since getting the 1520 and it keeps getting worse no matter how much I hold out hope that tomorrow will be better.
Should I go back to iPhone. I'm not super happy with Apple since there are things in iOS that just don't work and there are no error codes to research to figure out what went wrong. You just have to deal with stuff that doesn't work right and hope that Apple fixes it eventually.
Should I try Android? As I said above, I'm not cool with the idea of Google tracking everything I do on my phone and selling my info to advertisers. I want some sort of privacy. Additionally, EVERYONE that I have ever known that has an Android phone says the same thing... "I love my Android, but...." and then they proceed to tell of some feature or bug or frustration that they have with it.

I can deal with some issues. I can deal with not having every 3rd party app under the sun. I cannot deal with a smartphone that fails at the most basic functions: email, texting, calendar, phone calls - all of which I've had issues with on my 1520. I also want a very nice camera (like the 1520).

So what would you do? What is the lesser of the three evils right now?

I wonder what issues you have had with iOS? It could be worth a try to try out a Nexus phone, such as the 5x or 6p too. It would also help me if you shared these issues that you have been having. It's not worth it to have a phone that frustrates you. There are too many choices out here to be dealing with that.

CGA111

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you, brother! After years of truly believing things are getting better (from WM6 to last builds of 10), I got fed up and jumped ship to Android. Awful primitive OS, but works and has all the apps in the world with some pretty nice hardware too. I landed exactly in your price range with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, a pretty decent bit of kit with an unbeatable price. There's also the Meizu MX5, which is gorgeous, for the same kind of cash. So I put a Lumia 920 on the shelf for the times I need to remind myself where I've been and enjoy 4000mAh battery life and a very responsive OS, unlike the battery drain sluggish abomination which W10 has become lately. A good concept, but very poorly done.

Excellent choice, I will soon order the Redmi 3 (5.5' is a little too big for med) and my 920 goes in the drawer. My wife imported the Redmi Note 2 six months ago and it runs like a dream.

pzswenj

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Have to say it: I left my windows phone behind a few weeks ago now, and honestly, there is very little I miss. I was a strong windows phone proponent for years, and always figured it would get better, but by the end of last year, had had enough. I always liked the operating system and the general feel of the system - and still do. The lack of an upgrade path to 10 on my device was also an issue - particularly since we were told it would be available, and it would be the solution to many of our problems... When I got my device, it was at the midpoint of its cycle, and the only real device to replace it was a 950 - and to be honest - was completely underwhelmed with it.

What killed it was the obvious application gap. For every app the I used on the windows phone (the ones that were left anyways), I've either found better ones on my android phone, or the app I used before works much better. Haven't found one yet that makes me wish I kept my windows phone. The telling ones are the microsoft apps - they all look better and work better on my new non-windows phone.

There are little things that I miss, and a lot of things that are different - not better or worse, but different. I'll get used to all that. I've often found myself asking why I resisted so long - and am very happy now that i switched away. Oh well...

jeff92k7

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I wonder what issues you have had with iOS? It could be worth a try to try out a Nexus phone, such as the 5x or 6p too. It would also help me if you shared these issues that you have been having. It's not worth it to have a phone that frustrates you. There are too many choices out here to be dealing with that.

A lot of the issues with iOS were the result of trying to sync content between multple iDevices in our household with multiple accounts. Apple doesn't make it easy to share apps, music, etc among household members. They tried to with 'family sharing' but that was a disaster. Also, one of my biggest issues was the photo stream backup. When I take a pic, I want it almost immediately uploaded to the cloud and downloaded to my computer. However, since my computer is a windows machine, their icloud photo stuff never worked right. It would just quit completely with no indication and I would have to uninstall and reinstall to get it working again. As such, I ended up losing pictures because I expected them to have been backed up to photo stream but they weren't. I also tried using onedrive on the iphone briefly, but it had issues too. For starters, it wouldn't run in the background. It HAD to be opened to upload the pics. I understand that was an apple limitation on what apps can do in the background.

I can do without family sharing but I do need a reliable way to automatically upload and back up my photos. I know there were other issues too, but I don't remember off-hand what they were. That was nearly two years ago that I last had an iPhone so a lot of the frustrations have faded.

kjmcintosh

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I have to say onedrive works a treat on iphone. I too have sadly ditch my 950 xl for a an Iphone 6s. It really is disgusting to see all the MS apps are far better on iOS than they are on their own phone. I will miss my tiles but for me the waiting was too much. Maybe MS will get it sorted and in a couple of years windows phone will be great. I really do think out of all the platforms it has the best potential to be something everyone wants. But until the app gap is fixed and the iron out all the bugs out of 10 it does not stand a chance.

Soljin7

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I went from an LG Quantum to Nokia Lumia 920 to Nokia Lumia Icon and now have a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. It took forever for me to come to terms with leaving WP. I have 4 devices that are MS and I jumped ship once everyone of them became obsolete. My Xbox 360 is now outdated by the One so new and desired games like Quantum Break and FFXV can only be played on it. My Sony vaio pc doesn't not work well at all with windows 10. My tablet is the rare Nokia Lumia table which runs Windows RT and will not receive W10. And lastly my wonderful NL Icon on Verizon, Nuff said.
I enjoyed being the underdog and watched as WP matured into an incredible OS. I still prefer it to Android and IOS. But my turning point came down to the "just wait something better's coming" approach MS took. With each of my device in my home I have to purchase new hardware just to enjoy the new windows 10 experience. For years, fan boys like myself had to wait for something and even when that "something" came it was never as good as what I was expecting. Verizon is expensive and I enjoy the 30 gigs of data I get at the price of 15 gigs. I decided that if I was going to be spending my hard earned money then I wanted the best phone experience. For months I read the forums here listening to fellow fan boys speak their peace about MS and windows phone. After going to Samsung galaxy note, I haven't had a problem with the phone yet. The s-pen works well with MS apps like one note and word. One drive is great and it angers me that MS apps work better on other platforms than they do on WP. I wont listen to MS lies any more. IMO, MS even created an acceptable way to release a new OS without completing it, under the guise of "work in progress" with words like "beta" and "build." That's crap for your fans. If we spend the money on the hardware, give us a finished, polished experience that other OS are offering. The developers are not particularly lining up to produce apps for Windows 10.
In the end if WP matures I will be one of the first to go back but I realized something I heard someone say on this very forum, "I didn't leave MS and windows, they left me."

laevanay

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I made a promise to my family..... If we are to dump the phone, we will dump the entire ecosystem. After all, cohesion is the reason why they all exist. We have not upgraded any hardware in the past 2 years except for our phones. Its a matter of time that we give up on MS completely. WM10 has become a joke, more than a year and its still bad, same goes for the desktop OS.

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I made a promise to my family..... If we are to dump the phone, we will dump the entire ecosystem. After all, cohesion is the reason why they all exist. We have not upgraded any hardware in the past 2 years except for our phones. Its a matter of time that we give up on MS completely. WM10 has become a joke, more than a year and its still bad, same goes for the desktop OS.
Really? You do not like Windows 10?

I get the frustration with mobile (I am there, too), but no way am I going to ditch Win10 because the phones are less than stellar. I'll switch to an iPhone, but damned if I am going to overpay for Macbooks also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos