Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
First, it's not true, that nothing is happening. What makes you say that? Have you not noticed Microsoft has been publishing update changes to develop the mobile OS more often, and more publicity, than the goggle or aplle. Admittedly, Microsoft is far behind on the list of potential improvements, but... For those of us that live our lives accomplishing work and having fun with our families, ... Windows Mobile 8.1 works perfectly fine.

Microsoft is slowly improving Windows 10, and while I wish improvements and innovations would come faster, my Windows Phone does what I need it to do.

I get it, that some people like to chase the cutting edge technology.

I'm not going to abandon what I appreciate, (Windows Mobile) just because some others have given up. My Windows Phone does what I need it to do.

You are naming lots of changes MADE by Microsoft. But from my point of view, most of them are not helping to make my daily lives better. Lacking of regional apps is what killing the platform. I dunno how you can accomplishing work and having fun when Outlook is much better on iOS and Facebook on WP8.1 is lacking so much features. These are only tip of the ice berg.

It is not about cutting edge technology. There is no end to such chasing. All we need is a smartphone that can really provide our needs. I know perhaps you have all the apps you need in your region, but I can tell you that things are really really sad outside the US. Having a good platform OS only is just not enough. More publicity you said? Sorry, I'm see more advertisements on Samsung S7 than Lumia 950 here in my country. Every services I seeing here is only about Apple Store and Google Play. NOTHING about Windows.

I'm not bashing Windows phone here. Being a windows phone user for so long since WP7, I'm just not seeing any significant changes to this platform as a whole. Perhaps you are still holding onto hopes, but as a paid consumer, I will rather enjoy the perks available now on other platforms than hoping for the better in the future.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Guys who bought a Nexus 5X or any other Android, is there a way to mimic the sensorcore motion data sensing in Windows Phones? Ideally something that counts walking and running steps (and perhaps cycling?) and feeds it to Myfitnesspal or something like that. Does Google Fit do the job? My friend's Nexus 5 was confusing itself; it said cycling when he ran and vice-versa.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Guys who bought a Nexus 5X or any other Android, is there a way to mimic the sensorcore motion data sensing in Windows Phones? Ideally something that counts walking and running steps (and perhaps cycling?) and feeds it to Myfitnesspal or something like that. Does Google Fit do the job? My friend's Nexus 5 was confusing itself; it said cycling when he ran and vice-versa.

I'm not a fitness nerd, but I do watch the data in Google Fit. Fit comes preinstalled, at least on Nexus devices. I find it quite accurate, although a step is a step. It doesn't say whether you've walked or run, unless you specifically start an activity. But Fit does do a good job of keeping track while it is in your pocket. It automatically records time (duration) of activity, distance, calories, and steps.

stenrick

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Re: Planning to switch to Android

OK so as much as I love the Windows Phone UI, I am at the brink of jumping off the platform. I have the 1020 and it has slowed down dramatically. As much as I like the quality of the camera picture quality, I am over the inability to take actions shots, and 1 to 2 second save times. I want a larger 5.4+ screen size. Don't want the 1520. So I feel I am basically being pushed to either go the Andriod route or back to iPhone. The Edge 7 is a beautiful device, but my only hesitation is the lack of update support from manufacturers. Pretty much marshmellow and then that is it. iPhone ecosystem is great, but the 6s Plus is a beast and I don't want one that big. So question is go with the edge 7 and knowledge that I am likely stuck with current OS. Or wait and see what the i7 is going to look like?

Any thoughts?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So I just switched from my Icon to a Nexus 5 that someone sold me through Craigslist, and I must say, I never thought I would say I prefer Android over Windows Phone. After studying Material Design, it makes sense why I like it so much; Matias Duarte. I had totally forgotten about him after he left webOS and Palm and moved to Android. Holo was a bust because Android was still laggy, but man, Material Design is a whole new level for me. It feels more "complete" than Modern UI, and though I love tiles, this just feels and looks better IMO (again, NEVERRRRRRRRRRR thought I'd say that about Android). This is STOCK Android, and I would never use anything OTHER than a Nexus (or Motorola) for pure Android only.

After the Icon was dropped from the Insider Program, I had had enough. I love that phone to this, but this is just getting ridiculous to where Microsoft doesn't even support the FEW PEOPLE that support THEM. On top of that, apps are either sucky ports with no optimization (Modern Combat 5, I'm looking at you...) or they just don't function (only exceptional app that comes to mind is myTube and Instagram, even though I don't use Instagram). We do not have a Wallet app (necessary for my family because we only carry one debit card for personal reasons). Apps haven't received any updates in years (LinkedIn, for example). Again, I am NOT an apps person in the slightest. I've probably installed a total of 10 new apps on my Nexus, with only around 3 of them not being available on Windows Phone. But after switching I finally see what the situation really is, and Microsoft made it clear themselves.

We'll see how the Universal App Platform helps (if it even does at all), I just don't see developers finding a compelling reason to support this platform when they have plenty of steam with Android/iOS. For example, new hardware features are introduced with each device upgrade (Force Touch, though gimmicky, will keep developers interested...same for Android with their hardware improvements, combined with an open system). Windows Phone just seems to be catching up with things that other OS's have had for years. I'm not trying to bash Windows Phone, I still love it, but I just see things differently now. I still have my Icon in the drawer to mess with, and I will say the ONLY thing I miss about Windows Phone is Cortana location reminders; they're a little better than Google Now (and even in that instance, I could just download Cortana lol).

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Planning to switch to Android

OK so as much as I love the Windows Phone UI, I am at the brink of jumping off the platform. I have the 1020 and it has slowed down dramatically. As much as I like the quality of the camera picture quality, I am over the inability to take actions shots, and 1 to 2 second save times. I want a larger 5.4+ screen size. Don't want the 1520. So I feel I am basically being pushed to either go the Andriod route or back to iPhone. The Edge 7 is a beautiful device, but my only hesitation is the lack of update support from manufacturers. Pretty much marshmellow and then that is it. iPhone ecosystem is great, but the 6s Plus is a beast and I don't want one that big. So question is go with the edge 7 and knowledge that I am likely stuck with current OS. Or wait and see what the i7 is going to look like?

Any thoughts?

Or get an iPhone 6....? I'm with you, I wanted an iPhone initially for support, optimized software, better hardware, etc. I couldn't do a 5s because I needed NFC, so I had to try to find a 6 for a good price off contract (150-200, which isn't happening for a few years now). That's how I settled for the Nexus, which I thought I would hate, but ended up LOVING because of Material Design.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm not a fitness nerd, but I do watch the data in Google Fit. Fit comes preinstalled, at least on Nexus devices. I find it quite accurate, although a step is a step. It doesn't say whether you've walked or run, unless you specifically start an activity. But Fit does do a good job of keeping track while it is in your pocket. It automatically records time (duration) of activity, distance, calories, and steps.

Awesome thanks!

How are the Microsoft services (mainly Outlook & Calendar)? Also, is 16GB OK or is 32 GB better?

Aadesh Gandhi

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I moved to iOS in Dec 2015. Although I still have small complaints about iOS overall I am satisfied with it. I moved to Windows in Dec 2012 from iOS with high hopes but sadly most of them were not fulfilled. I waited 3 years for things to improve but the OS was not where it needed to be. For me app gap was the biggest thing and paying $ 650 for a premium phone with half baked OS and a not a lot of apps did not make sense.

Thanks,

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Awesome thanks!

How are the Microsoft services (mainly Outlook & Calendar)? Also, is 16GB OK or is 32 GB better?

As for your question about the 16gb or 32gb, it really depends how you use your phone. Do you stream or are you more of a local music person? Do you like to save a lot of photos on your phone?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I do not use either of those Microsoft apps, so I cannot tell you. I use the native Gmail app for all email. It natively supports Exchange, and from my experience it is quite good. Also, if you use the Gmail app, your Microsoft contacts will populate your phone's contacts. This will not happen when using Outlook.

If you do not put much on your phone, you should be fine with 16GB. But keep in mind that in today's world 16GB can run out pretty quickly!

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
As for your question about the 16gb or 32gb, it really depends how you use your phone. Do you stream or are you more of a local music person? Do you like to save a lot of photos on your phone?

I got the answer, hah. I need 32.

I do not use either of those Microsoft apps, so I cannot tell you. I use the native Gmail app for all email. It natively supports Exchange, and from my experience it is quite good. Also, if you use the Gmail app, your Microsoft contacts will populate your phone's contacts. This will not happen when using Outlook.

If you do not put much on your phone, you should be fine with 16GB. But keep in mind that in today's world 16GB can run out pretty quickly!

I don't need the Outlook app itself. I just want the Outlook mail and calendar content to appear in my phone's default mail (Gmail) and calendar apps.

Anyhow, I'm stuck with another dilemma: Moto X Play or Nexus 5X? Considering I might only buy in mid-June.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't need the Outlook app itself. I just want the Outlook mail and calendar content to appear in my phone's default mail (Gmail) and calendar apps.

The Gmail app is your answer then!

Anyhow, I'm stuck with another dilemma: Moto X Play or Nexus 5X? Considering I might only buy in mid-June.

That is what's called a first world problem. :cool: I haven't had the Moto X Play so I cannot help you there. I don't know what country you're in, but it is not officially available in the US (although it is still possible to buy), so that might be something to consider.

Moto X Play or Nexus 5X; you can't go wrong either way.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
The Gmail app is your answer then!

That is what's called a first world problem. :cool: I haven't had the Moto X Play so I cannot help you there. I don't know what country you're in, but it is not officially available in the US (although it is still possible to buy), so that might be something to consider.

Moto X Play or Nexus 5X; you can't go wrong either way.

I'm in India. Moto X Play seems a sweet deal, it's got expandable storage too. However, no fingerprint sensor, but I've never used one, so I don't know. I'll decide on the day I buy. The thing is, we don't get phones on contract here; it's all outright purchase.

Just my opinion and only being on android for a few months 16gb goes fast. I have 32gb and down to 16 already.

That's why I was thinking of Moto X Play.

Kanazuchi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I had been on Windows Phone since the HTC Trophy launched on Verizon. I loved it and kept upgrading as the new ones came out: got a Lumia 822 and then a Lumia 928, both of which were great! I was really happy when 8.1 finally came to them, but couldn't help but feel behind everyone else. I decided I should try something new, especially since the 950 wasn't coming to Verizon. So last summer I got an iPhone 6.

I loved the iPhone at first, so many apps, the fingerprint reader is really nice (I never used passcodes because I didn't like the hassle and my phone never leaves my side, but the fingerprint reader is a really nice way to not even notice its secure). I downloaded all of the Microsoft services and its been good. Some are nicer like the office suite (which has been fixed with UWP office), some are different (outlook), and some are exact ports (office lens). Then there are some, like OneDrive, where I miss the WP version. Not just for photo uploads, but also liked the overall experience on WP better. Some features were really nice too, like replying to notifications from the toast, iMessage since my wife switched with me (and later the rest of my family from WP to iPhone, my wife's family is still on WP but aren't as much into technology).

Now that time has passed, I have really started to miss things like live tiles (Checking the weather is so annoying), a back button (have you tried closing the keyboard on iPhone??) and the search button which is especially annoying that you cannot type to Siri! That's my main use case of cortana on iPhone, I don't want to talk to my phone at that moment. I also miss little things like the camera buttons, quickly scrolling through my important apps and having unimportant ones easily accessible with a swipe. I very much miss a good music player (I can load music easily from itunes, but trying adding 100 songs to now playing and it crashes...). Volume management is much better on WP as well! And the longer I use the iPhone, the less apps I use, I'm realizing that I'm down to using the same exact apps that I used on WP, and they were all a very similar experience. I also go through about 3-5 times more data on iPhone!

I am hoping as UWP evolves that the phone version comes into its own and I can easily switch back. I hope they improve skype (right now facetime is a much more stable version of video chat, but skype is improving). I hope they can improve PC to Phone integration (my wife uses a mac, and texting from her laptop and all the other things that can be done is super nice). iPhone basically hates Windows, which is very frustrating on my side of things.

I am already thinking of coming back, but between everything announced at build and how quickly UWP apps are coming about (I'm a software developer myself, this stuff isn't easy for sure!) hopefully they can make it an easy switch back!

Raian Levy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I moved from android on mid 2013 to a Lumia 720 then on December 2014 to a 925.2 and now I have an HTC one m8 for windows on the way.
I was a little thoughtful about getting a WP this time because of the w10 issues I experienced with the Lumia 925 but I decided to give it one last chance

anon(5671144)

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

I'm currently using the Outlook app and my contacts have synced to the phone. You have to turn the sync contacts option on as it's off by default.

I tried setting up both the Email app (Samsung) and Gmail apps to sync with my Outlook.com account and after hours of trying I gave up. I actually think the Outlook app has the best support for the various email configurations as it presents you with all the options for Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, Exchange etc and was a breeze to get working with my 2 gmail accounts, personal Outlook account and work Exchange account.

Andraz Podjaversek

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I have taken my lumia 930 to care point today, to take care of microphones before selling it. I've gotten some midrange LG as a spare phone while they fix my phone, I know I shouldn't judge this device compared to my lumia but boy oh boy I can surely say my next phone for sure won't be android.

After quite a bit of hustle to get my contacts synced from my Microsoft acc, I have suddenly start getting Google has stopped working error every couple of seconds and keyboard wouldn't show up anymore... Had to redo everything again after factory reset. Installed nova launcher so I can survive with this phone for a whole month... All I wanted to say is that I Love Windows for its simplicity and for not having such problems and hustles at least in my experience and if before I was thinking about getting new galaxy edge for its design, I can now easily say I crossed on platform of my list, and since I think iOS doesn't have any true benefits over Windows mobile except the apps(I don't know but I find it a bit borring) I think I am decided on getting a 950... Another year with a Lumia I guess

Well at least I get to experience snapshot for a month lol ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism