Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Planning to switch to Android

OK so as much as I love the Windows Phone UI, I am at the brink of jumping off the platform. I have the 1020 and it has slowed down dramatically. As much as I like the quality of the camera picture quality, I am over the inability to take actions shots, and 1 to 2 second save times. I want a larger 5.4+ screen size. Don't want the 1520. So I feel I am basically being pushed to either go the Andriod route or back to iPhone. The Edge 7 is a beautiful device, but my only hesitation is the lack of update support from manufacturers. Pretty much marshmellow and then that is it. iPhone ecosystem is great, but the 6s Plus is a beast and I don't want one that big. So question is go with the edge 7 and knowledge that I am likely stuck with current OS. Or wait and see what the i7 is going to look like?

Any thoughts?

Well, almost all OEM Android handsets will not have much future updates unless you get a Nexus phone if OS updates is a very important consideration for you. For an average user, any Android flagship will still be able to enjoy Android updates during his contract period. Beyond that, is hard to say. But that being said, even if you decided to stay with windows phone, there is no guaranteed that your phone model may be supported for future updates from Microsoft as well. Who knows for Redstone & above, the requirements cut off margin may be raised even higher. For performance sake, MS may just drop whichever models they want.

I would say regardless of Android or iPhone, just go for either of them and you will not be wrong. At the very least, you will not need to worry about apps availability and supports. If Edge 7 is not what you prefer, get LG G5 or wait for M10? If not, even a latest budgeted Xiaomi Note 3 is much more value for money than the crappy Lumia 650 with such a bad CPU of Qualcomm Snapdragon 212.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Planning to switch to Android

Well, almost all OEM Android handsets will not have much future updates unless you get a Nexus phone if OS updates is a very important consideration for you. For an average user, any Android flagship will still be able to enjoy Android updates during his contract period. Beyond that, is hard to say. But that being said, even if you decided to stay with windows phone, there is no guaranteed that your phone model may be supported for future updates from Microsoft as well. Who knows for Redstone & above, the requirements cut off margin may be raised even higher. For performance sake, MS may just drop whichever models they want.

I would say regardless of Android or iPhone, just go for either of them and you will not be wrong. At the very least, you will not need to worry about apps availability and supports. If Edge 7 is not what you prefer, get LG G5 or wait for M10? If not, even a latest budgeted Xiaomi Note 3 is much more value for money than the crappy Lumia 650 with such a bad CPU of Qualcomm Snapdragon 212.

Have you actually brought and owned a 650 or merely speaking with no basis except based off specs from a paper. Sounds like you have zero experience to call it crap as to hype up the awesomeness that is Android (/s) because that os needs high specs to.run adequately.

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Android sucks unless you have super high end hardware. A 640 xl may be slightly slower than a 1520 yet it doesn't feel horrible.

os wise I don't see a benefit over windows, and the only true reason is apps. I am not going to switch os I like just for trendy apps but some might.

If you do decide to switch,go iOS. Much better than lagdroid and hardware is supported for longer and universal support.

Of course I hope you also continue to give windows a shot :)

Everyone will have their view of what's trendy, but on the practical side, Windows is currently missing the Suntrust banking app (among other financial institutions, though Bank of America is coming back) and Hirevue, which some companies use to conduct remote interviews.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently using the Outlook app and my contacts have synced to the phone. You have to turn the sync contacts option on as it's off by default.

I tried setting up both the Email app (Samsung) and Gmail apps to sync with my Outlook.com account and after hours of trying I gave up. I actually think the Outlook app has the best support for the various email configurations as it presents you with all the options for Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, Exchange etc and was a breeze to get working with my 2 gmail accounts, personal Outlook account and work Exchange account.

I only use Outlook e-mail and calendar. All my contacts are already on google (since before I switched to Windows phone - it was easy enough getting Google contacts to WP and W10 and W10M so I never bothered changing). I tried stuff on bluestacks. I got mail to sync, but neither Google Calendar nor the Outlook app was showing events from my Microsoft account calendars. I had to download Sunrise, but apparently MS is shutting Sunrise down, so I don't know.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Everyone will have their view of what's trendy, but on the practical side, Windows is currently missing the Suntrust banking app (among other financial institutions, though Bank of America is coming back) and Hirevue, which some companies use to conduct remote interviews.

Oh I can understand actual bank apps and stuff like that. I meant things like stupid apps like snapchat or in My friends case, clash of clans.

Richard Durishin

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My 950 running Win 10 Fast RIng/Slow Ring or No Ring was worse than my old 1520 running same. "Hey Cortana" was followed by long pauses and a Cortana crash. Dictating text messages via Bluetooth headset (long a WIndows Phone strong suit) simply no-longer was possible. The phone froze every time I would save an edit from Creative Studio and, after one of the Preview Releases, Gadgets stopped working. All this despite multiple hard resets (though I never opened the recovery tool and did the full revert to stock).

Needless to say, I had just about had it with Win 10 Mob. I mean, Windows Mobile, circa 2007 was better. Hell EPOC on my Sony Ericcson in 2006 was far better.

Then, leaving it in the wrong jacket pocket, I closed it in the door of a Corvette (I sell them) and had to replace it (thanks for honoring my solid, 15 years of loyalty AT&T by waiving the deductible).

My new 950? Well, when I say "Hey Cortana" she opens up faster than she does on my Surface Pro (MS, you need to figure out how to have only one listen when they are together).

So I am seriously suspecting that my bad Windows 10 Mobile Fast/Slow/No Ring experience was not due to Windows 10 for Mobile, but due to a defective Lumia 950.

The weeks ahead will tell...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. you gave me some interesting thoughts. I think I would've really missed the tiles on iphone also I think I would bennefit a lot from Continuum eapecially if they continue to update it. Maybe I will try to get used iphone for a month but currently I am leaning towards a 950 and hoping to get a mozo case.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I'm considering rocking an old 5s just to be more familiar with the os. My Lumia is my daily driver but for when I am just sitting in bed, I can use the iPhone as a glorified iPod touch lol

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Haven't made the decision to jump...but I figured out what is PAINSTAKINGLY missing from my Windows 10 Mobile experience: Fluidity! I am on a 1520 and did all of the builds. After the 14295...my phone has YET to behave like the first iteration of 10586.164. My phone crashed, I have soft/hard reset many times...all to see my phone freeze for no reason, live tiles just- not respond, some tiles used to work; don't work anymore and, worse yet, my MSFTBand 2 sporadically communicate with the phone. I am enduring SO much...that I wonder if I just let it go, too. I am a die hard Windows Platform ******...but when your system can hold you up longer than dial up internet back in the 90's...it's just disheartening. I wanted a 950XL, but NOTHING I read supports shelling out $700??!! I keep hoping by later this year...it will fix itself out...but you gotta wonder about a platform that has taken almost a year to fix, is TECHNICALLY not available for any phone older than September 2016, and even on its flagship phones is iffy.

Like I said...I would just love FLUIDITY. Especially, if the argument is you are a Software company...well, fix your software!:eck:

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
since nothing I want to access is available on windows phone I'm gone. I have a new z5 dual on order now, I can use home automation of my choice, wearable of my choice, I can use square to get paid for work, I can listen to Sirius xm while away from my car, the list goes on and on. I can pay for stuff via royal banks app, deposit check in my bank without going to the bank, etc. NotHING of these can be done using windows phone. The apps are so far behind, its laughable. If there was app parity, I would be getting the 950xl, but its far from on par. even the app that are on windows phone are not near as good as the android counterpart.

paypal, another app that's left in the dust. I downloaded paypal here and it does not work either. NO WAY to use here payments. Its BAD. I used to be a big supporter of windows phone. However over time, that love is gone, replaced by disappointment. Nothing that windows phone has is better than the other guys. MS is letting the WP userbase rot. they don't care if it survives. Read between the lines people. They say they are commited to the 4-7" screen size. NO where do they say windows phone. JUST, the size of devices. MEANING, android and IOS apps.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not leaving windows. I prefer it. However, I really like iOS also. Just haven't messed around with android at all and I just want to experience it for personal enjoyment -- or pain lol ... learn something new. I may or may not like it but won't know unless I just try it .... so----trigger has been pulled and will receive it tomorrow.

Was a Windows Phone user since the HTC Trophy ending with an ICON. Switched to a GS7 & honestly all the talk about lag, & slowness, etc is based on what was read about Android a few years ago. I've used newer(3 years old & newer) mid range devices on & off that my brother in law had and everything ran fine. I prefer Windows 10 Mobile but not to my detriment I mean theses are devices not my damn identity.... To be perfectly honest I now know why 98.6% of the population DOES NOT choose WM. I could give a RIP about either company as I have no personal stake in either. All I want is a device that does & runs what I want. WM does not do that & hasn't for some time. Android does but I was drinking the WM Kool-aid convincing myself that Android is bad, it sucks, lagdroid, Lumia's have better cameras & better integrated Windows experience, WM has quality apps the # doesn't matter, who needs 2K fart apps, blah blah blah.... Well most MS apps on Android are better than their WM counterparts with integration getting better on a monthly basis & I can replicate the tile interface & dark theme I loved about WM plus use my bank, work, autodesk design, child's school, local & regional apps now. For now Android suits my needs & wants, maybe in the future WM will.

To be honest people need to stop talking like their identity is tied to the freakin phone or OS they use or like they have a real personal stake in the success or failure in ANY technology or product from any company. Remove your emotion & make a decision based on quantifiable needs & wants. Use the devices for it's intended purpose & live your life. Oh & if you happen to leave your house & forget your phone, guess what? Your life won't end, time won't stop, you'll be okay & make it through the day..... just sayin.

Old ICON start Screen:

wp_ss_20160320_0001.jpg

New GS7 home screen:

Screenshot_20160409-123032.jpg

Screenshot_20160409-123044.jpg

Last edited:

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry but NO where did they say we are commited to windows mobile, they specifically Both Myerson and Nadella said we are committed to the 4-7" screen size. They never once said, "we are commited to windows mobile/Phone/windows 10 mobile, whatever they are calling it now. They only Said, we are commited to the small screen size. I.E. apps for android and IOS. I highly doubt that continuum will take off. The windows phone as we know it is now going the way of blackberry. Convert to android or DIE. That's what is going to happen. Continuum will be a flash in the pan. They are not going to develop for a few thousand business people. Everyone else at that point will have jumped ship. The thing with continuum is it's about 10 years late, Cloud computing is doing what essentially continuum does. Think about it before going all MS ****** on me. 1. You need the phone to do it. OK. YOu also need a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse for it to essentially work. Why would you not just buy a computer to leave at your desk. They are talking about having a continuum laptop dock, why not just have a much better laptop and use cloud? same with tablets. Why dock your phone in a tablet that you still need? Does not make sense. If there was no cloud services, then yeah, It would be the bee's knees, but right now, I can access all my files just like you would do on continuum, with all my devices, and my wifes devices as well. So its actually a better solution than continuum as we share files, photos etc, between 2 phones, 2 surface tablets, a laptop and other stuff.

I agree. Even in developing/emerging markets why buy the dock, keyboard & monitor when you can just buy a low end laptop or desktop for the same price or less. Unless they somehow come up with a way to dock the phone completely inside a laptop clam shell that sells for $100 or less or comes with the phone. Or enable a way to connect to a TV without a dock. That would be innovative & worth it.

Last edited:

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Was a Windows Phone user since the HTC Trophy ending with an ICON. Switched to a GS7 & honestly all the talk about lag, & slowness, etc is based on what was read about Android a few years ago. I've used newer(3 years old & newer) mid range devices on & off that my brother in law had and everything ran fine. I prefer Windows 10 Mobile but not to my detriment I mean theses are devices not my damn identity.... To be perfectly honest I now know why 98.6% of the population DOES NOT choose WM. I could give a RIP about either company as I have no personal stake in either. All I want is a device that does & runs what I want. WM does not do that & hasn't for some time. Android does but I was drinking the WM Kool-aid convincing myself that Android is bad, it sucks, lagdroid, Lumia's have better cameras & better integrated Windows experience, WM has quality apps the # doesn't matter, who needs 2K fart apps, blah blah blah.... Well most MS apps on Android are better than their WM counterparts with integration getting better on a monthly basis & I can replicate the tile interface & dark theme I loved about WM plus use my bank, work, autodesk design, child's school, local & regional apps now. For now Android suits my needs & wants, maybe in the future WM will.

To be honest people need to stop talking like their identity is tied to the freakin phone or OS they use or like they have a real personal stake in the success or failure in ANY technology or product from any company. Remove your emotion & make a decision based on quantifiable needs & wants. Use the devices for it's intended purpose & live your life. Oh & if you happen to leave your house & forget your phone, guess what? Your life won't end, time won't stop, you'll be okay & make it through the day..... just sayin.

Old ICON start Screen:

View attachment 124927

New GS7 home screen:

View attachment 124930View attachment 124931

I totally agree with you, but that GS7 screen though... Information overload! But hey if you like it, then don't mind me lol. :)

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with you, but that GS7 screen though... Information overload! But hey if you like it, then don't mind me lol. :)

It's 2 pics of the same screen. the only tiles that have info are email, weather, windows central & Android central. the match line is the clock/weather tile. The ICON start screen has a section below it as well as you can see the tiles are cut off... It works for me and that's the only thing that matters

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3