Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think that part of the problem is that I'm testing Android out on a Moto E (2015). I was able to get the Sunrise widget to work after a rebooting a few times but it will freeze often and has completely crashed a few times as well. I did figure out how to bind different apps to different tiles. When I connected the sunrise calendar to the main calendar tile though it just gets stuck on loading and never displays any of the info. I'll keep playing with stuff.

Just use outlook. MS bought sunrise last year and is merging it into outlook. . Outlook calendar is pretty much sunrise calendar now with the last update

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here is a pic of the outlook calender widget, it's called outlook agenda

Attachments

• 1734.jpg
    1734.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 54

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I know they are working on the universal app platform and just released the development app to convert win 32 apps into Win 10 store apps. Their goal is to have all apps be UWP and. Which can be targeted to run on any device running Win 10. Which will be cool when they have a phone that can dock with a TV or in a laptop clam she'll & the phone serves as the PC and the screen as the track pad that can run all the legacy win 32 apps and new store apps

It aint going to happen anytime soon. And after seeing what happend to all those promises made by MS in last 3 years, I really doubt it will ever happen the way they show us. Its all a big illusion.
And even if there will be UWP, mobile plateform will never match the performance of a Pc as evolution of pc's hardware it totally at a different level. Installing every application and software through store will never be the solution.
For now and even in future, this continum thing will only remain as gimmick - addtional monitor and input support to watch multimedia on big screen. For productve purposes, now we already have laptops as powerful as desktops with huge versatility.
The way they promote it - its a computer, is a **** and making fool of evryone.
Lastly and most importantly, whats new in this when I could do it with N8?
Why people always fall for such false marketing?

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
It aint going to happen anytime soon. And after seeing what happend to all those promises made by MS in last 3 years, I really doubt it will ever happen the way they show us. Its all a big illusion.
And even if there will be UWP, mobile plateform will never match the performance of a Pc as evolution of pc's hardware it totally at a different level. Installing every application and software through store will never be the solution.
For now and even in future, this continum thing will only remain as gimmick - addtional monitor and input support to watch multimedia on big screen. For productve purposes, now we already have laptops as powerful as desktops with huge versatility.
The way they promote it - its a computer, is a **** and making fool of evryone.
Lastly and most importantly, whats new in this when I could do it with N8?
Why people always fall for such false marketing?

The way I'm looking at it is that it maybe something great, it maybe nothing. I don't have a use for it right now in its current state and if things change I can always switch back. MS is probably at least a year away from having something compelling for consumers and that is probably optimistic. When that time comes I'll switch back but I might as well what works best for me now while I wait.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Here is a pic of the outlook calender widget, it's called outlook agenda

What app are you using for photos that would be similar to Windows Phone live tile? I uploaded all my photos to Google Photos and selected it, but the only photo that is showing up is the default. When I go into edit it and add photos, I don't have any available to add. Thanks

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I just made the jump to an iPhone 6S yesterday. I've tried the iPhone twice before and returned to WP, but given the current state of W10M, iOS seems to be the better option for me. iOS is really fast and buttery smooth (WP used to be like this once upon a time). I have a bunch of minor quibbles about iOS but the big one is that the keyboard (even with SwiftKey) is much harder to type on compared to WP.

I still like WP and I'll gladly return if they can make W10M as smooth and stable as WP8.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What app are you using for photos that would be similar to Windows Phone live tile? I uploaded all my photos to Google Photos and selected it, but the only photo that is showing up is the default. When I go into edit it and add photos, I don't have any available to add. Thanks

It's one of the tiles in the Launcher 8 WP Style launcher called live pictures.

Ii's in settings under "Manage Tiles" once you select it , it will prompt you to select which photos you want displayed

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
It's one of the tiles in the Launcher 8 WP Style launcher called live pictures.

That's the one I'm using but it is not showing any of the photos that I have on the phone. Just the #5 photo. When I go into it there is an option to select photos but the folder it goes to is empty with no way to switch to another folder to pic photos.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I would not put ANY money into anything with windows and phone in the title, or otherwise. After getting burned so much by the promises, only to have everything dumped, I would just get an android phone, and enjoy everything you have been missing. The days of lagdroid are gone. I was using new android phones yesterday and pretty well anything now with 3 gb ram and a good processor is smooth as windows phone.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's the one I'm using but it is not showing any of the photos that I have on the phone. Just the #5 photo. When I go into it there is an option to select photos but the folder it goes to is empty with no way to switch to another folder to pic photos.

Mine show the photos in the images folder in my file viewer which is where the pics that are in the Samsung Gallery app & Google Photos app are pulled from which is the same folder new pics are sent to that are taken. I downloaded the pics I wanted to show from OneDrive and saved them to that folder. Not sure if that is a feature in the paid version which I plan on buying in the near future.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Just a curious observation to make here. All these gentle folks trying to make their android home screens resemble WP/WM start screens, who are investing all the many man hours into customising them down to the T to the WM/WP experience, and dealing with all the subsequent issues of it all happily. Did they really invest the same amount of effort into coping with the WM/WP issues without complaining?

Just a thought I'm throwing out there. I have no stake in the argument per se otherwise, or issues with anyone's choice of platforms - I'm all for pro choice and respecting that. But this just made me wonder, is the criticism of the platform really justified after something like this?

*Fingers crossed I dont start a flame war.*

-- W

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just a curious observation to make here. All these gentle folks trying to make their android home screens resemble WP/WM start screens, who are investing all the many man hours into customizing them down to the T to the WM/WP experience, and dealing with all the subsequent issues of it all happily. Did they really invest the same amount of effort into coping with the WM/WP issues without complaining?

Just a thought I'm throwing out there. I have no stake in the argument per se otherwise, or issues with anyone's choice of platforms - I'm all for pro choice and respecting that. But this just made me wonder, is the criticism of the platform really justified after something like this?

*Fingers crossed I dont start a flame war.*

-- W

I had mine up & running in the same amount of time it took me to do my 928 & ICON. Install launcher, choose tiles to be on start screen, re-arrange & choose size of tiles to be on the start screen, choose transparency levels, choose wallpaper, choose theme accent color, done...

On my 928 & ICON I had to delete the stock tiles, choose tiles to be on start screen, re-arrange & choose size of tiles to be on the start screen, choose transparency levels, choose wallpaper, choose theme accent color, done.

How is that many more man hours?

On the plus side there is a plethora of additional customization I can do if I so choose which are not available in WM.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Why so stressed?

My At Bat app from last year still works. I have been getting all the preseason games. Last year the prior years app was updated after the season started.

Minneapolis has added parking meters that can be paid by the Parkmobile app so I downloaded it and it works great.

I have all the apps I need on my Windows Phone and my life certainly doesn't revolve only around apps. I'm busy working and living life.

Hope you can find satisfaction with your android phone.
Is your at bat still working? It's not even in the store anymore

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: So is anyone seriously considering another platform now....?

Windows 10, like Google and Facebook, mines personal data for the purposes of targeted advertising.

True or false?

False. Windows 10 doesn't do that at all. Zero. Nothing. Nada!!

Not even Cortana does that, and MS states so explicitly in their Cortana privacy FAQ:

"No, Cortana doesn’t use the information you share with Cortana to send you targeted ads."

Bing (just like almost any internet search engine) does collect data to target ads, but Bing is not Windows 10. You can easily use Windows 10 without using Bing, and a lot of people (probably most on this site) do.

aldridhl

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
After being a diehard windows mobile/phone fan since 2009, I broke down and ordered an iPhone SE. There are very few options for people who want a high end and compact smartphone these days. MS is clearly not as focused on mobile this year, so the future for the platform seems nebulous. Still waiting for the day when there's a solid third option in the mobile space.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
After being a diehard windows mobile/phone fan since 2009, I broke down and ordered an iPhone SE. There are very few options for people who want a high end and compact smartphone these days. MS is clearly not as focused on mobile this year, so the future for the platform seems nebulous. Still waiting for the day when there's a solid third option in the mobile space.
The iPhone SE is pretty great, I think you would be pleased. I wish that Microsoft would have done something like the SE (at least the power and concept of what it brings in its size). The 735 was probably the closest, most recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99