Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Honestly though, now that I've been using my iPhone SE for almost two weeks, I'm barely using the app store. That said, I do have that peace of mind that my phone will have the app support.

Typed with my 950xl

AlexT09

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I switched from WP to Android around Xmas. Prior to this, I had an HTC One M8. Wasn't a fan of the phone itself but miss Windows badly...

Anyway, now that I've had time to really get to know Android, and if the iPhone isn't much different than it was with whatever IOS was current when the 5s launched, I definitely think Windows phone is the best OS by far. I will say the app store was super awesome at the beginning, and I guess still is, but you get used to it and then it's not a big deal. Stating the obvious, but is refreshing for my apps to be constantly updated and available. It's refreshing knowing "whatever important app will get that new feature just announced," etc. That said, my banking app is the only one I really felt at a disadvantage not having, and is the only one that I truly am grateful to have.... Well if anyone is interested,and not at all familiar with Android, here are my quick thoughts:

-It's strength (customization) is its weakness as no launcher seems polished and the base layout / homescreen by Google is very generic; however, there are so many different ways you can change the basic layout / functionality of the phone, you will see a lot of cool ideas...

-Like 40 apps came stock with my phone... I don't think that is unusual either. I'm pretty sure like every app can turn itself on or run a background process that eats battery and you can't easily get rid of them or stop that.

-Could be partially due to the phone, but Google's voice recognition seems superior to Cortana or Siri. Google Now doesn't really do anything special or that Cortana can't, but it always gets what I say right. Even on this phone, Cortana doesn't... Not sure why this is, but this is definitely the biggest plus, other than apps, I've noticed with Android in my opinion.

-Essentially all Microsoft apps are available and just as good if not "better."

Guessing most know all of that about Android, and if you are wondering why I think WP is better, i feel it just operates more fluidly, makes more intuitive sense and takes advantage of screen real estate better than either of the others. I miss WP, and wish I wouldn't have switched... Not sure what everyone else is saying or thinking, but if you are thinking of switching, I bet you regret it after like two or three weeks... If only others would give it a chance!

Also, I realize this might be a bit off topic, but I still thought it would be of interest to some. I would love to hear others familiar with Android or IOS's opinion on the subject... Thanks!

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
-Like 40 apps came stock with my phone... I don't think that is unusual either. I'm pretty sure like every app can turn itself on or run a background process that eats battery and you can't easily get rid of them or stop that.

There's an option to either uninstall or disable apps in settings -> apps.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I switched from WP to Android around Xmas. Prior to this, I had an HTC One M8. Wasn't a fan of the phone itself but miss Windows badly...

Anyway, now that I've had time to really get to know Android, and if the iPhone isn't much different than it was with whatever IOS was current when the 5s launched, I definitely think Windows phone is the best OS by far. I will say the app store was super awesome at the beginning, and I guess still is, but you get used to it and then it's not a big deal. Stating the obvious, but is refreshing for my apps to be constantly updated and available. It's refreshing knowing "whatever important app will get that new feature just announced," etc. That said, my banking app is the only one I really felt at a disadvantage not having, and is the only one that I truly am grateful to have.... Well if anyone is interested,and not at all familiar with Android, here are my quick thoughts:

-It's strength (customization) is its weakness as no launcher seems polished and the base layout / homescreen by Google is very generic; however, there are so many different ways you can change the basic layout / functionality of the phone, you will see a lot of cool ideas...

-Could be partially due to the phone, but Google's voice recognition seems superior to Cortana or Siri. Google Now doesn't really do anything special or that Cortana can't, but it always gets what I say right. Even on this phone, Cortana doesn't... Not sure why this is, but this is definitely the biggest plus, other than apps, I've noticed with Android in my opinion.

-Essentially all Microsoft apps are available and just as good if not "better."

Guessing most know all of that about Android, and if you are wondering why I think WP is better, i feel it just operates more fluidly, makes more intuitive sense and takes advantage of screen real estate better than either of the others. I miss WP, and wish I wouldn't have switched... Not sure what everyone else is saying or thinking, but if you are thinking of switching, I bet you regret it after like two or three weeks... If only others would give it a chance!

Also, I realize this might be a bit off topic, but I still thought it would be of interest to some. I would love to hear others familiar with Android or IOS's opinion on the subject... Thanks!

I ended up with the same or similar opinion on the LG G2 loaner phone I am using. That is why I switched back to my One M8 and installed W10M 10586.218 instead. I still have 10 months of a 2 year contract on Verizon and I did not want to buy a new phone or even a used one at this time. (Bought a G4 and cancelled the order 2 hours later out of buyers remorse.) :D Anyways, enjoy either way.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Since you asked for opinions, I will offer mine. I had a two month trial with both Android and iOS. I tried Android for a month, and then I tried iOS the following month this year.

I agree with your observation of stuff running in the background in Android, and that was was something that I didn't like personally. Even though it might be managed well, why is NFC processes still running even though I disabled the app? With iOS, it's just like WP with allowing you to choose what gets refreshed in the background.

WP/WM is perfectly in the middle when it comes to customization between iOS and Android. I would say that I miss the customization of that along with the simplicity. iOS also offers simplicity but the customization point isn't as strong.

As for regretting, nah. Feel free to speak for yourself. The only regret I have is not doing these trials earlier than now. With my trials, I really learned what apps I actually use and what ones are important to me. At first, I was like "whoa I have so many choices of apps" but after moving from phone to phone, I wasn't interested in downloading all of the extra apps once again.

I have no regrets in switching because I get to stream free music on an app that was never on WP, enjoy MLB At Bat once again, and my ebook reader that I use on a daily basis actually works the way it should and it doesn't crash ever, unlike how it crashed all the time on Windows Phone.

If the platform improves enough, I'll put my sim back in my 640. However, I'm enjoying my iPhone SE just fine. Such power and quality in a small phone!

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Well, I had a Lumia ICON on Verizon and I was 1 year overdue to upgrade. Since I was on a business line, I wasn't allowed to wait any longer and I had to upgrade. Unfortunately, Verzion STILL doesn't have any new Windows Phones available. The 735 and LG Lancet are SUCH downgrades from my ICON and even my older 928. So because of that, I had no choice but to upgrade to a Galaxy S6 for the next 2 years. I've waited so long for Microsoft to bring a new Windows Phone to Verizon and this whole 950 & Verizon debacle is really annoying. Everyone on this business line are also almost due for an upgrade. With no viable alternatives to upgrade to, they're all going to have to upgrade to either Android or IOS.

There's all these articles about Microsoft giving up on mobile because the 950 wasn't selling well? Gee, I wonder why the 950 wasn't selling well. Maybe that's because they made it AT&T exclusive and blocked the most popular carriers in the US. It's not wonder people are leaving the Windows Phone platform. A lot of us simply had no choice.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, I had a Lumia ICON on Verizon and I was 1 year overdue to upgrade. Since I was on a business line, I wasn't allowed to wait any longer and I had to upgrade. Unfortunately, Verzion STILL doesn't have any new Windows Phones available. The 735 and LG Lancet are SUCH downgrades from my ICON and even my older 928. So because of that, I had no choice but to upgrade to a Galaxy S6 for the next 2 years. I've waited so long for Microsoft to bring a new Windows Phone to Verizon and this whole 950 & Verizon debacle is really annoying. Everyone on this business line are also almost due for an upgrade. With no viable alternatives to upgrade to, they're all going to have to upgrade to either Android or IOS.

There's all these articles about Microsoft giving up on mobile because the 950 wasn't selling well? Gee, I wonder why the 950 wasn't selling well. Maybe that's because they made it AT&T exclusive and blocked the most popular carriers in the US. It's not wonder people are leaving the Windows Phone platform. A lot of us simply had no choice.

You seem to think that Verizon is in charge of you? You seem to do as you are told. I'm on Verizon. I'm not going to sign any new agreements with Verizon, especially one that forces me to upgrade. I'll use the phone of my choosing, Windows Phone. My wife's Windows phone was replaced with another Windows Phone from Ebay.

Just another idea.

noperfectmobile

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
In the changelog for the new release 218 i find nothing about the bugs which are still showstoppers for me.
I hope i will find a person interested i a used lumia 830 - and if so, i am away from the WP platform.

anon(9600179)

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently considering leaving Windows Mobile. This is not related to the ecosystem but to Microsoft lack of quality control.
I'm the owner of a Samsung Ativ S, great build quality but a lack of support from Samsung. A month ago, I started thinking of switching for a Lumia 950 XL. Yesterday, I sent back my third Lumia 950 XL. All three have the same issues : the screen glass is not flat (reflection is magnified/distorted) and the screen calibration is totally wrong. The last problem is a big turn off : some black tints are purple/blue, some grey are brown/red. Same issues on the three devices !
But wait, there's more ! I live in France and Microsoft made the strange choice to give the single SIM models to the carriers and the Dual SIM models to the retailers. If at the beginning (~November 2015) a few retailers had the single SIM, now, only the carriers sell it. And they sell it at the high price (600€ and 700€). So I had to to order my Lumia from a foreigner retailer (Amazon DE, Expansys UK) to get a single SIM with a reasonable price (520€-580€ for a 950XL in my opinion and given the current offers). And each time I have to wait for 4 days to get my phone then 7 days to get my refund.

Here are a few alternatives to my problem and why I'm not going for it :
  • Lumia 650/550 : price too high for the hardware (and I don't like the hardware choices)
  • 950 (XL) Dual SIM : I'm never going to install more than 1 SIM in my phone and I want the 4G+
  • Coship Moly X1 / Funker W5.5 Pro : A friend ordered this phone. It turned out to have an awful build quality with multiple bugs so I'm not going to give it a try. Plus, the hardware is outdated for a new phone.
  • Acer Liquid Jade Primo : more expensive than a 950 with lower specifications

I may give a last try to the 950 XL, I'm not sure. But first, I'll wait for the refund.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Android second impressions

Most of you know by now that I switched to WP 8.1 from Android Jellybean. Ironically, it was the Microsoft apps for Android Jellybean, and the press, that made me think that things might be better on WP 8.1. I stuck around for about 2 years and the fact that my 635 (512 MB) would not get updated to W 10 M was the last straw for me.

So now I have a Moto E 2nd edition refurbished. These are my initial impressions.

Software is just better on Android. Your phone may suck, but chances are the apps do not. For example with HERE I can download maps to the SD card no problem. And Google Play is infinitely better than the store on all fronts including recommendations. I don't even have to tell you the difference between GPMAA and Groove Music, night and day. Motorola's, well, Lenovo's, software is a nice touch, and for the most part it is clean, stock Android, with about 2 or 3 apps thrown in there. I actually like the Moto app though.

Okay so I'm getting a better experience from the phone itself than I was my 635. Big deal. However.

Ironically, the apps that Microsoft developed for Android have gotten even better than they were back in the early days. WP 8.1 is left behind to such a degree, not by third party developers, but by Microsoft itself, it is a travesty. I have no words for this at all. Just a poor situation no matter how you look at it. A lot of features on the newer Microsoft apps I wasn't even aware of.

I like chat heads, bubbles, the hamburger menu, the light backgrounds, everything. I don't miss dark themes or tiles at all. One thing I do like about Lollipop is that you can click on the square and many, many, many pages will surface allowing you to flip through applications. Not just 6. And I don't have to "allow" apps to run in the background once I've surpassed 18. I just allow the operating system to take care of that for me.

Android is not for everyone. If you hate the UI don't even bother. If you hate Google telling you what to do with your SD card don't even bother. What WP and IOS have done is unique and interesting and antithetical to the way that things are done on Android. Android is not better. It is different. A decent Android phone has 2 GB of RAM or more. Due to the restrictions on the SD card, some apps can be installed but not as many as WP 8.1 or W 10 M, so I would suggest 16 GB of internal storage or more. Android also has file size issues. 4 GB is still the maximum permitted under the default file system.

OTOH, you get Apple music, GPMAA, Groove Music, and a host of other apps. And I haven't found a single app that is available for both Android and WP 8.1, or W 10 M, that is actually worse on Android. So there are compromises.

What hasn't changed is that a user has to make the hard choice of dealing with the high overhead of Android, or accepting the limitations of WP. It is what it is. I still use the rouge, non-official WP 8.1 apps whenever I want to download something, because we all know it is far too easy to grab music, video, movies, or TV shows on WP, whereas all of this is immediately taken down on Google Play whenever it is discovered. Particularly when it comes to YouTube. That was one of the things I really enjoyed on WP. For example, "free music" on Android usually means yet another Soundcloud client. Few true MP3 downloaders out there. It is just easier to type it into a search engine.

Android finally has a file manager, officially. And you can finally have your entire storage recognized as internal storage, officially. And the way that WP works, these just aren't issues. I'm not saying that I would not like to use the SD card for everything on WP. But I am saying that it is not a necessity. And the security thing is still superior on WP. But what Android may lack in the OS, it is made up for by the apps. And that is something that, while addressed in W 10 M, needs to be rectified on WP 8.1. Not because it is profitable, but because it is the right thing to do.

MistrWashington

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Long time WP user. The best were my 1020 and my 1520. My 950, not so much.

I will most likely, for the first time ever, enter Google's marketplace and pick up their next Nexus phone. My 950 has had one two many software issues. If the next Nexus hardware is identical or better than my 950; 5 in., finger print reader (not windows hello obviously), USB-C, expandable storage, quality camera, QC 3.0, and wireless charging - I'm gonna get it.
I'll adjust to Android N and install all the MS apps from the Play store and try my hardest to Microsoft-tify that phone and go from there. The buggy software on my 950 has begun to take its toll, and its not improving enough with updates. I've started reading Android Central - it doesn't feel right.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I've never liked this whole "One" business. It started with windows 8 on the PC. The same flat blocky interface with the metroscreen/start screen and the apps. It looks like Microsoft went back 20 years to some sort of primitive graphics. ... I think this OS is trying to be one thing on everything and it sounds like an interesting idea in theory but seeing it in practice I don't like it.

"It looks like Microsoft went back 20 years to some sort of primitive graphics."

Doing away with Skeuomorphs is inevitable and advantageous. The beginning of any intuitive interface must be based on known representations - the manila folder icon, for example, representing a logical arrangement of storage. As user familiarity with those interfaces surpases that of the skeuomorph, the purpose of the skeuomorph is lost and better representations may be available. In the next generation, will the "phone" icon make any sense to someone who has never even seen a phone like that? These things should evolve. Microsoft understood that a sea of icons with 3D effects is just another skeuomorph... "oh, it looks like a 3D button... I guess we're supposed to press it". As everyone becomes familiar with the behavior of such interfaces, the need to represent real world objects diminishes. So over time, we ought to see a move toward less skeuomorphic designs.

To answer the question of UI consistency across devices/screens, we ought to consider why Windows became the dominant OS in the first place. Computers were expensive, and not yet ubiquitous in homes. Windows targeted BUSINESS users. As more capabilities became available and hardware prices fell, consumers went along with the OS they were already familiar with at work - Windows. The average user does not want to learn new operating system paradigms. The tile interface design is a result of developing interface sizes and shapes that can conform to any presentation/spec/screen size. Flat, non-skeuomorphic, adaptable and consistent experiences rather than learning a different interface everywhere.

You don't need the Windows 8/10 settings UI because you have control panel? Then you have to know both control panel and a different UI for phone or tablet where control panel is poorly suited. One place, one paradigm, for settings on all devices is clearly ideal. The only catch being that it takes time to build out a new UI before you can truly be rid of control panel.

Don't like a lock screen on a desktop? Is it not simply an improvement on the old "ctl-alt del" lock screen most of us are familiar with in the workplace, now also consistent with tablets and phones? This isn't a bad thing.

As for talking to Cortana, no one said you have to. There's the box. Type in it. Everything you can do with your voice you can do with text. It's certainly an improvement upon previous versions of windows "Run/Search" prompt.

"There should be nothing mobilish on a non phone device that uses a mouse or is in a fixed location for example."

And what then do you do when the line blurs? Should there be nothing mobilish about a Surface because it can have a keyboard and mouse attached? Should your phone project a phone screen to a larger display? Of course not. You'll realize your folly and probably do what Microsoft has done: try to create a consistent UI across different use cases and capabilities, and build in small adaptations suitable to a given use case or... mode - ie continuum. An interface that allows a phone to behave as if a desktop when suitable, or a Surface to adapt to being used like a laptop vs a tablet (tablet mode).

It is the flexibility of the simple tile design that allows such a vast range of use cases and consistent display. They have a good design language. Now they just need to keep refining and improving. I would personally like to see them categorize apps by default and allow customization - allowing the user to swap between categorized and alphabetic on the "all apps" display. They could also allow custom colors per category, and this would make a lot of the app arrangements on the start screen more attractive, as people tend to group apps by function... "news", "office", "social" etc.

If I ever leave WP, it won't be due to design. They have the right idea. If I leave, it'll be because they are simply too slow to compete on features. Mirrorlink has been talked about since 2012, yet we still have no Mirrorlink. When your feature implementation is slower than the auto manufacturers, who are notoriously slow, you have a real problem.

Last edited:

its_craigy

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm due an upgrade in just under two months and it was between two phones - the Lumia 950 XL and the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I've been using Windows mobile/phone since the days of the HTC HD2 and am really invested into the whole ecosystem, owning a band, Surface Pro 3 and Xbox One. I've been an avid supporter of Windows Phone and have convinced friends to buy a Lumia - but unfortunately I think it may be time to move on.

I damaged my Lumia 930 recently and made a claim on the insurance. The first replacement phone EE sent me was faulty and since they had no more 930s in stock they sent me a 950 to replace it. The problem is that I'm really not impressed with the Lumia 950 hardware. It doesn't feel like an upgrade from the 930 as the design just looks and feels cheap. The iris scanner is slow and works only about 50% of the time. Continuum is cool, but I can't see myself using it. I've promised my Mum my old phone when I upgrade - so she'll be getting the Lumia 950. I'll be buying a Mozo case before then, so it doesn't look like I'm giving her a cheap block of black plastic.

On the software front, Windows 10 is just still not as stable as Windows Phone 8 and I feel android has leapt ahead while Microsoft's mobile OS is just limping along. And then there's the apps... Suffice to say, I've waited 6 years for the 'app gap' to close. I don't think I can wait any longer.

I'm just hoping Microsoft's Windows 10 strategy works and I can come back in a couple of years knowing that the apps I need are available on a platform that has clearly improved running on desirable hardware. But for now, I think its probably time to try something new. I don't like to admit defeat on something I've felt passionate about in the past, but unfortunately it feels like Microsoft admitted defeat long before I did.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Android second impressions

I bought a Moto E LTE to try out Android, and I found there are a lot of apps in the Play Store that are terrible or just don't work at all--seriously, nothing happens when you try them. Truly weird. It got me worried they were actually malware in disguise or something, but they were so obscure I doubt anyone would use them for nefarious purposes. These are small, not mainstream apps, but I have never seen anything like that in the Windows Store. I really, really miss the dark theme. I work late at night and so a good portion of my day is spent in very dark rooms where the dark theme "shines." Nothing like a white blast of light from the smartphone screen to ruin your night vision. I found myself using the Moto E much less at night because of this. Notifications on Android are ludicrous, or at least I never figured out a way to calm them down. Constant pointless notifications from every app, and even if you think you have them turned off you really don't and you will find six notifications from one app in the morning telling you that it has been updated or some tiny bit of news. I really like the Moto camera turn on thing where you flip your wrist, though I still have trouble doing it correctly the first time. Camera sucks on the Moto E though--my Lumia 640 bought for less is far, far better. The Google apps and the integration between them is really the best part. Chrome bookmarks sync everywhere, photos upload instantly, docs are easy to edit and share in various formats, email of course works great and still has the best spam filtering going. I found that in general the Microsoft apps work better and more smoothly on my Lumia running W10 than on Android, but I do not care or use all the advanced features for the most part. I just like having a nice dark theme email that syncs reliably with my home and work email, and is easy to read. That's all I need on a phone.

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I are out of contract on verizon & are thinking of switching to Project Fi. I mean if I'm moving to Android, might as well move to pure android that actually gets updates as well as swap the the Microsoft launcher and install all the MSFT apps except for maps. No live tiles, but Fi also has no contract, so only have to consider the price of the device if/when there's ever a release of a Windows 10 Mobile device that's worth looking at.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I are out of contract on verizon & are thinking of switching to Project Fi. I mean if I'm moving to Android, might as well move to pure android that actually gets updates as well as swap the the Microsoft launcher and install all the MSFT apps except for maps.

Google has a very good deal going on for the Nexus 5X if you sign up for Project Fi. $199 for the 16GB or $249 for the 32GB.

Get up to $150 off the Nexus 5X when you buy from Google and activate with Project Fi

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi, folks! There are a lot of people who have decided to get new devices, since so many choices are available. We have long time Windows Mobile users who might be opting for a new Windows Phone 8, and folks who have decided to upgrade from Windows Phone 7/7.5 to Windows Phone 8. There are also folks who have tried Windows Phone but decided to switch to another platform.

This thread is for you! Please let us know which device you had, which device you are switching to, and why you are switching.

Are you getting a new Windows Phone to replace an older Windows Mobile/Windows Phone?

Are you getting a device that runs a different platform because there is something that has not been resolved with Windows Phone?

Are you changing carriers to get the device you like?

Please keep in mind the forum rules while you post in this thread, as in any thread on this forum. http://forums.windowscentral.com/wpcentral-com-site-news-feedback-help/204020-rules.html

Have fun letting us know what new device you are getting and why.

I switched to the Moto E. It is a refurbished model. 2nd generation, the 1 GB RAM model. Lollipop.

I switched to get the apps I could not get on WP 8.1. I still have a Lumia 635. It is smoother. The camera is okay. Main thing I like over my Lumia is that the brightness adjusts automatically and I can flip my wrist to take pictures. It takes video, by default, and if I want to take pictures I just click on the screen. The videos are still 720p. I even get a shortcut to Google Photos within the Camera app. So for me it is just more intuitive.

I think the problem comes in with the OEM. I don't like the way that LG handles things. You still get the benefits of Android on LG phones but their UI isn't that great. I prefer Motorola and Samsung with this. Microsoft exercises greater control, but Nokia was able to give WP 8.1 that special touch on their Lumia phones.

Long story short, don't get just "any" Android phone, if you do decide to switch. Get a reputable one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss