Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Long story short, don't get just "any" Android phone, if you do decide to switch. Get a reputable one.

Cannot agree more here. I have a Samsung Note 5. TouchWiz is far from the turkey people make it to be. Verizon did load some crapware on it but I've been able to deactivate it. Samsung has a lot of their own software on it so there are some annoying things like duplicate calendar apps and such. The Nexus line may be the route you want to go.

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I am really disappointed with all the bugs on W10m. Am still using an old wp8 device as my daily driver with a bb z10 and iPhone 4 as try out devices. If I switch, it will be to iPhone. Bb10 is great but is a dead platform and android is not an option. Ios is the closest to wp in ui polish and has all the apps. Even the iphone 4 runs smooth and it is what, 6 years old?

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Another update on the L830 vs. the ZTE Maven-

I think I have played around enough that i am satisfied with the calendar and email apps on the ZTE. For the Calendar, I'm using Digical, which has a big brightly colored widget hat looks great on it's own Android homepage. For email I'm just using the Gmail app. It actually has a lot of fine-tuning that is available, so I think I can now live with the email and calendar experience on Android. It will never be as good as it is in Windows, but it might be good enough.

The ZTE generally continues to be surprisingly snappy. Now that I've loaded it up with a bunch of apps I can get some lag occasionally, but for the most part it just hums right along. The battery lasts all day with moderate use, something I can't say about the 830. One negative is that 8GB of storage on Android is simply not enough. I've shifted everything I can onto and SD card and disabled as many unused crapware apps as possible, but I'm still often running out of storage. I've never used more than about half of my 16GB of storage on my 830, so android seems a little more hungry. This is probably because the crapware on my Lumia can be uninstalled, not just disabled.

The 830 continues to be buggy, even with the latest updates. The other day at the park I could not attach photos to a text, either starting in the photos app or the messaging app. It's frustrating to be missing such a basic feature on my phone, and I've been using the ZTE primarily ever since, even though its camera well and truly sucks. I also stopped by my loical AT&T store and tried a 950. It had a lot of the problematic bugs that my 830 does (It wouldn't attach a news article form the MSN News app to an outlook email; again, a basic function), so I'm really leaning heavily towards an Android upgrade in a month or two. The 3,600 mah battery in the S7 Edge looks tempting. It even comes in gold, and I could probably live without a Type C plug . . .

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I switched to the Moto E. It is a refurbished model. 2nd generation, the 1 GB RAM model. Lollipop.

I switched to get the apps I could not get on WP 8.1. I still have a Lumia 635. It is smoother. The camera is okay. Main thing I like over my Lumia is that the brightness adjusts automatically and I can flip my wrist to take pictures. It takes video, by default, and if I want to take pictures I just click on the screen. The videos are still 720p. I even get a shortcut to Google Photos within the Camera app. So for me it is just more intuitive.

I think the problem comes in with the OEM. I don't like the way that LG handles things. You still get the benefits of Android on LG phones but their UI isn't that great. I prefer Motorola and Samsung with this. Microsoft exercises greater control, but Nokia was able to give WP 8.1 that special touch on their Lumia phones.

Long story short, don't get just "any" Android phone, if you do decide to switch. Get a reputable one.
I have an LG K7 which I got for $70 plus tax (well originally $90 but Best buy dropped the price soon after so I got some money back lol) and it's about the same specs as the Motorola E. I don't have any problem at all with it's UI and so far it's a very nice low end phone. The only downside is the camera is not as good as the Lumia 640 but I'd have to pay quite a bit more on an Android to match it. If things don't improve with respect to Windows Phone/Mobile I may end up getting a more expensive Android.

anon(5926260)

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
So I experimented with android (4.4) for a week and then iOS (9.2) for a week as well. Below are my observations.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android)
I dropped my MSFT apps on it as well as their launcher. I must say that I was thrilled to see how nicely I could customize the device to suit my needs, but I was even more impressed with how well the Microsoft apps functioned on this platform. I really had no issues running the Galaxy device until I switched to iOS.

Apple iPhone 5s (iOS)
It took some time to get accustomed to the interface and dig up all the customization options available to me on this platform. The longer I spent on this platform the more it grew on me. However, the initial reaction was one of sadness because the 5s' hardware just didn't feel as high-end as the Galaxy's screen, resolution, camera, etc.

HTC One M8 (WP 8.1)
The only hardware-based feature that falls flat on its face is the camera here. However, the screen, its resolution, the sheer speed of this device is noteworthy.

I chose to stick with the 5s for three simple reasons - in order of importance:

1. the notification center. I couldn't stand having to forcibly click on live tiles AFTER responding to the notification on WP8.1 just to get things to refresh. I couldn't stand having little to no authority for notifications on the Galaxy - if they're there then my apologies for this: unintuitive is every bit the same as the feature not being there. My God, on the 5s notifications and the badge icons actually sync up nicely.
  2. Sharing: All the sharing capabilities that I bragged about on WP8.1 to my friends, well, everyone else caught up and it is sheer pleasure to be able to share ANYTHING on iOS.
  3. App Gap: A distant 3rd in all actuality. It had little impact on me at the end of it all. However, it is indeed sad to report that my beloved MSFT applications are superior on iOS than on WP8.1/10. Nokia Here Maps has to be experienced in iOS, simple as that.

My final notes: If Microsoft simply commits to polishing their mobile OS, then they'll get somewhere. Right now, it is a little unfair to compare 9 iterations of iOS against WP8.1/10. Yes, I lump them together because the versioning on MSFT's platforms are just silly and totally irrelevant. Apple and Google just stuck with it and their platform has matured and bested anything Microsoft has come up with. I tell you, WP 8.1 was heading in the right direction and then they ditched yet another good platform. I'm just not going to gamble and wait/hope (hope is simply not a strategy) for WP10 to mature because they make better apps than mobile OS' at this point (sadly, they have the track record to prove it).

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
For most folks, the "app gap" is more than enough to steer them clear of W10M or WP8.1. For the general public it's apps, apps, apps, that sell a platform. And don't forget that the vast majority of the smartphone-using population is not very sophisticated. They don't know, for example, that 6Tag is Instagram for WP. They just know that when they try to download Instagram it's not there. Lots of online banking apps are missing too. And how about Starbucks?? Lack of a Starbucks app might seem like a trivial thing, but when folks use it multiple times per day it becomes one of those things you rely on.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
For most folks, the "app gap" is more than enough to steer them clear of W10M or WP8.1. For the general public it's apps, apps, apps, that sell a platform. And don't forget that the vast majority of the smartphone-using population is not very sophisticated. They don't know, for example, that 6Tag is Instagram for WP. They just know that when they try to download Instagram it's not there. Lots of online banking apps are missing too. And how about Starbucks?? Lack of a Starbucks app might seem like a trivial thing, but when folks use it multiple times per day it becomes one of those things you rely on.
Ah but Starbucks apparently has finally said there will be a new app within the next month or so. Trust me, this will finally solve the downward spiral. It never was about apps in general. It was *always* about the Starbucks app :winktongue:

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Instagram Beta is available on WP 8.0. Still using it occasionally on my HTC 8X. For newcomers to look for a substitute like 6Tag over the original, they would probably have to have to some attachment to the OS to begin with. I think it's less a lack of sophistication than initial impressions of Windows formed by what's missing...

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Long time WP user. The best were my 1020 and my 1520. My 950, not so much.

I will most likely, for the first time ever, enter Google's marketplace and pick up their next Nexus phone. My 950 has had one two many software issues. If the next Nexus hardware is identical or better than my 950; 5 in., finger print reader (not windows hello obviously), USB-C, expandable storage, quality camera, QC 3.0, and wireless charging - I'm gonna get it.
I'll adjust to Android N and install all the MS apps from the Play store and try my hardest to Microsoft-tify that phone and go from there. The buggy software on my 950 has begun to take its toll, and its not improving enough with updates. I've started reading Android Central - it doesn't feel right.
The Nexus 6P and 5X do not have wireless charging I'm afraid. The previous versions did I think. The 5x was and still might be the phone I pick if I move but the lack of wireless charging sucks. Once you get used to it, its going to be hard to go without. I'm also weighing my need for wifi calling which will really limit my choices since I'm on Verizon.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I find it interesting that this thread got started and most of the comments were by people wanting to move to WP, at the time. Half the thread has had posts from this year alone (considering it started in 2012), and overwhelmingly people are saying that their foray in WP/W10M is over or coming to an end.

MS really screwed up!

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Unbelievably bad decisions were made. Windows 10 mobile should never have been released being so buggy. This has made horrible first impressions for potential new customers and demoralized the current users. Not upgrading all devices has angered many. Stating that the platform is not a priority doesn't help. Services like Skype have no clear direction, three half baked apps on windows 10 that can't even send or receive pictures and a desktop client. Now another modern one being developed? Onedrive losing modern app in w10. Making better apps on competing platforms, I'll stop there.

Remco Bakker

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I actually did that only a couple of days ago. My L925 broke and while I'm having it fixed (yes....I'm having a two year old phone fixed...) I took and old Android phone (Sony xperia T) that was stuck at the bottem of a drawer and Microsdoft-ified it the best I could. Arrow launcher, NEXT lockscreen, Outlook etc. And I must admit the experience isn't half bad...just feels like cheating in some weird way. And started reading Android Central as wel because I'm thinking of sitting this batch of Lumia's out. W10M is definately not ready (colleague of mine has an L950) and I'm propbably going to buy me an Android and see what MS will have on offer early 2017. If the phones then are worthy by then, I will swicth back in a heartbeat!

MistrWashington

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 6P and 5X do not have wireless charging I'm afraid. The previous versions did I think. The 5x was and still might be the phone I pick if I move but the lack of wireless charging sucks. Once you get used to it, its going to be hard to go without. I'm also weighing my need for wifi calling which will really limit my choices since I'm on Verizon.

Yup. Current Nexus line removed wireless charging. That's why I haven't switched yet. The hardware features are very important to me if I'm gonna go Android. And at this point I'm well invested emotionally in the 950 hardware (more so than the W10 Mobile OS), enough that my next phone has to have the equivalent or better. Also, would rather wait till Android N. That gives me (Microsoft) till like Q4 to right the ship with W10 Mobile.

MistrWashington

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I actually did that only a couple of days ago. My L925 broke and while I'm having it fixed (yes....I'm having a two year old phone fixed...) I took and old Android phone (Sony xperia T) that was stuck at the bottem of a drawer and Microsdoft-ified it the best I could. Arrow launcher, NEXT lockscreen, Outlook etc. And I must admit the experience isn't half bad...just feels like cheating in some weird way. And started reading Android Central as wel because I'm thinking of sitting this batch of Lumia's out. W10M is definately not ready (colleague of mine has an L950) and I'm propbably going to buy me an Android and see what MS will have on offer early 2017. If the phones then are worthy by then, I will swicth back in a heartbeat!

"Not half bad" would be a compliment to my W10 Mobile experience on my 950. Hearing that from a fellow MS fan, well that makes me all the more willing to switch, if my wants are met.Also, all bias aside - Windows Central is a better website/community than Android Central - from my week long experiment on the other side of the fence.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering if I move my BLU WIN HD LTE 150q to insider ring, will I be able to get the build 14295.1000 that's on my 950 XL? Both phones are dual SIMs. Right now the BLU phone is on Windows 10, with 10586.218

jeff92k7

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Just got my new iPhone 6s plus yesterday to replace my Lumia 1520. It's very interesting to me that a lot of the hardware specs are similar between the three year old 1520 and 6 month old iPhone 6s plus, yet the performance of the 6s plus is like night and day better. Everything is smooth and fluid. I have yet to have any app crash, hang on opening, or fail to update (all of which happened constantly on the 1520).

There are nicer things too, like Apple Pay. I used softcard during that ever so brief period where it actually worked on Windows phone before Google bought them and killed the Windows phone app. It's nice to be able to use my phone for payment again and now with much wider support. The fingerprint/TouchID thing is way cool. I didn't realize how cool that would be until I used it. Not having to type my phone password to unlock my phone every time is just awesome. ...and the apps, oh the glorious apps. I missed you and didn't even realize it. I thought I wouldn't miss the apps when I switched to the 1520, but coming back is like a joyous celebration to have all the apps available again. I'm incredibly surprised at how much better Microsoft's own apps are over the WP versions. I knew they were better, but this is ridiculous as to how bad the WP versions are, now that I've seen the iOS versions.

Even the size is nice. It's ever so slightly smaller but yet feels a lot smaller in my pocket. Even with a leather case (apple brand) on it, it's about the same thickness as the 1520. Even slightly less when you consider the camera bulge on the 1520.

Granted, there are some things I will miss. I will miss the Glance screen and double tap to wake, as well as the physical camera button. I will miss the better cortana integration (though siri is growing on me). And I will miss the Cortana abilities of my MS band (slightly).

If MS ever gets their act together on Mobile, I may be back, but for now it's just nowhere near good enough for me.

SafeSchoolsCzar

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Tis a sad day....

After 17 years of PDA's/Phones with Windows CE through W10M, I just activated my first non-Microsoft powered phone since I had a flip phone. I started with a Casio PDA, moved on to multiple Toshiba PDA's, followed by a Dell Axim and I've been on some form of Windows OS smart phones ever since.

There are several reasons why I left. The primary reason is only Verizon consistently works in my home town. As a remote employee, my cell has to work 100% of the time. I was betrayed with the Icon. We were supposed to get 8.1, never did but got 8.1.1 soon after it came out. We were supposed to get 8.1.2 but never did, same goes with W10M. The last straw for me was when they removed the Icon from the upgrade list. My Verizon choice was to go with a 735, LG Lancet or HTC M8. I always get flagship phones and while the M8 may be one, it's old and not on the W10M path.

I started shopping the day after it was announced that the Icon was not getting upgrades and spent a lot of time trying to decide. In the end, I went with the iPhone 6s Plus with 128gb. I honestly thought the Samsung S7 Edge was a nicer device and not as locked down, but I have no confidence in the Google Play store. I don't think they care who does what in a APK file and it the Wild West of app stores in my opinion.

When I say it's a sad day, it truly is, I'm not a iPhone fan and the OS is incredibly locked down and boring, but there were some apps I just had to have and it may sound nuts, but Waze was my top priority. I drive all over the country carting around my travel hockey playing son and there's nothing better than Waze and it's the only navigation app that lets you know where the police are.

Anyway...I'm not completely leaving, I still have my Yoga 3 Pro with Win10 Pro and I'm keeping my 640 Go Phone that I'll keep upgrading in Preview, and my Band 2. I really hope to be back some day, but for now, I'm jumping ship. If MS comes back to Verizon with a flagship phone I'll be back, but for now, I'm on the dark side.

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
[*]the notification center. I couldn't stand having to forcibly click on live tiles AFTER responding to the notification on WP8.1 just to get things to refresh. I couldn't stand having little to no authority for notifications on the Galaxy - if they're there then my apologies for this: unintuitive is every bit the same as the feature not being there.

I've been toying with Android, too, and I agree with you. The notification settings are there, but they're a total pain to sort out. Android really seems predisposed to notify you about everything three times. But I love the customization and I'm thinking really hard about the S7 Edge.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Tis a sad day....

Anyway...I'm not completely leaving, I still have my Yoga 3 Pro with Win10 Pro and I'm keeping my 640 Go Phone that I'll keep upgrading in Preview, and my Band 2. I really hope to be back some day, but for now, I'm jumping ship. If MS comes back to Verizon with a flagship phone I'll be back, but for now, I'm on the dark side.

Thine presence shall be dearly missed :) but we should be boomin' in 2017 so we'll see you there matey

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I still maintain that Cortana's in-car bluetooth integration is the best out there. But I'm mystified by Microsoft's passive treatment of their mobile operating system. Microsoft is the 800 lb. gorilla in the room - any room - yet they treat WP almost as an afterthought. And now they're shunting WP/W10M to the backburner while they concentrate on other things??? Pretty tough to convince consumer to buy their phones when they let us know at Build2016 that it was not a top priority. Folks will say, "Meh, I'll wait until they're serious about mobile." Meanwhile Android and iOS are soaking up the customers that would have gone with WP. And once a customer is gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett