Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokola

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
There is a pertinent story about a man who was working on an oil platform in the North Sea. He woke up one night from a loud explosion, which suddenly set his entire oil platform on fire. In mere moments, he was surrounded by flames. Through the smoke and heat, he barely made his way out of the chaos to the platform’s edge. When he looked down over the edge, all he could see were the dark, cold, foreboding Atlantic waters.

As the fire approached him, the man had mere seconds to react. He could stand on the platform, and inevitably be consumed by the burning flames. Or, he could plunge 30 meters in to the freezing waters. The man was standing upon a “burning platform,” and he needed to make a choice.

He decided to jump. It was unexpected. In ordinary circumstances, the man would never consider plunging into icy waters. But these were not ordinary times – his platform was on fire. The man survived the fall and the waters. After he was rescued, he noted that a “burning platform” caused a radical change in his behaviour.

We too, are standing on a “burning platform,” and we must decide how we are going to change our behaviour.

I have learned that we are standing on a burning platform.

And, we have more than one explosion – we have multiple points of scorching heat that are fuelling a blazing fire around us.

For example, there is intense heat coming from our competitors, more rapidly than we ever expected. Apple disrupted the market by redefining the smartphone and attracting developers to a closed, but very powerful ecosystem.

In 2008, Apple’s market share in the $300+ price range was 25 percent; by 2010 it escalated to 61 percent. They are enjoying a tremendous growth trajectory with a 78 percent earnings growth year over year in Q4 2010. Apple demonstrated that if designed well, consumers would buy a high-priced phone with a great experience and developers would build applications. They changed the game, and today, Apple owns the high-end range.

And then, there is Android. In about 7 years, Android created a platform that attracts application developers, service providers and hardware manufacturers. Android came in at the high-end, they are now winning the mid-range, and quickly they are going downstream to phones under €100. Google has become a gravitational force, drawing much of the industry’s innovation to its core.

Let’s not forget about the low-end price range. In 2008, MediaTek supplied complete reference designs for phone chipsets, which enabled manufacturers in the Shenzhen region of China to produce phones at an unbelievable pace. By some accounts, this ecosystem now produces more than one third of the phones sold globally – taking share from us in emerging markets.

While competitors poured flames on our market share, what happened at Nokia? We fell behind, we missed big trends, and we lost time. At that time, we thought we were making the right decisions; but, with the benefit of hindsight, we now find ourselves years behind.

The first iPhone shipped in 2007, and we still don’t have a product that is close to their experience. Android came on the scene over 7 years ago, Unbelievable.

We have some brilliant sources of innovation inside Microsoft, but we are not bringing it to market fast enough. We thought Windows Mobile/WP7/WP7.5/WP8/WP8.1/Windows Mobile 10 would be a platform for winning high-end smartphones.

At the lower-end price range, Chinese OEMs are cranking out a device much faster than, as one Nokia employee said only partially in jest, “the time that it takes us to polish a PowerPoint presentation.” They are fast, they are cheap, and they are challenging us.

And the truly perplexing aspect is that we’re not even fighting with the right weapons. We are still too often trying to approach each price range on a device-to-device basis.

The battle of devices has now become a war of ecosystems, where ecosystems include not only the hardware and software of the device, but developers, applications, ecommerce, advertising, search, social applications, location-based services, unified communications and many other things. Our competitors aren’t taking our market share with devices; they are taking our market share with an entire ecosystem. This means we’re going to have to decide how we either build, catalyse or join an ecosystem.

This is one of the decisions we need to make. In the meantime, we’ve lost market share, we’ve lost mind share and we’ve lost time.

Consumer preference for WM10 declined worldwide.

How did we get to this point? Why did we fall behind when the world around us evolved?

This is what I have been trying to understand. I believe at least some of it has been due to our attitude inside WM10. We poured gasoline on our own burning platform. I believe we have lacked accountability and leadership to align and direct the company through these disruptive times. We had a series of misses. We haven’t been delivering innovation fast enough. We’re not collaborating internally.

Microsoft, our platform (WM10) is burning.

Edited from the 'burning platform' memo.

Last edited:

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
It is Microsoft's responsibility to lead and be accountable for their own product. They have more than enough resources to do it. Not the regular consumer.

stenrick

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Am I wrong or do most of the people that are planning on, or have jumped ship, lean predominantly towards Android? Edge now or wait 6 months for the next iteration of iPhone?

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Meanwhile Android and iOS are soaking up the customers that would have gone with WP. And once a customer is gone...

Given all the apps that Microsoft make for iOS and Android, anyone can pretty much Microsoft-ify any handset, and right there they can benefit from you being a customer of their services. You should see my Galaxy Tab. Installed all the MS stuff and disabled some of the Google stuff.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Am I wrong or do most of the people that are planning on, or have jumped ship, lean predominantly towards Android? Edge now or wait 6 months for the next iteration of iPhone?

I think this varies on the person, Android is easier because you have the choice between a high cost trial, low cost trial or something inbetween. iPhone (before the SE came out) takes more to try, unless you can find a nice deal for a used one.

I tried Android first because it was cheaper to try out. $300 over $530 for a used 6s, the choice is clear.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

Initially, I opted for WP because it was kind of the inbetweener, where android gave you a rather open OS, and iOS remains a walled garden, I, and I think many others saw WP as the middle ground. You got the benefits of both, to some extent. In hindsight, WP didn't have much openness at all, since in its early days it was severely lacking in features which had to be expanded at the OS level, not with apps, however, they were mostly corrected by WP8.1. Worth noting that, WP did get updates, something which, at the time I changed, android was notoriously bad at.

I haven't jumped, but there's no way I'm going to the L950. I want to stick with windows, and hopefully this universal windows platform addresses the absence of apps (i'm not holding my breath). As it is, I'm going to stick with my L920 until it's dead, and I have to replace it, if that happens soon, it will probably be android for me.

Sticking with WP8.1 now, the problem is, the migration to W10M is going to kill off a fair bit of apps for WP8.1 as there's absolutely no incentive to update or write apps for WP8.1. This is the problem again by MS hitting the reset switch with W10M and abandoning their older users just like the move from WP7 to WP8. Wouldn't have been as big a problem if they kept to their initial intention of porting it to all phones.

Basically from what I can see is that MS are trying to use their desktop customers to encourage developers to make apps for desktop and mobile. I don't know if it will work, as there's plenty of apps which don't have desktop apps and are quite happy staying mobile only, and as a result that means iOS and android only. If it does work out for MS, then that will be a decent reason to upgrade to a W10M phone. I reckon a good sign would be if a company like snapchat decide to make a universal W10 app which should finally bring the app to the phones. There's no doubt plenty of other examples as well, but if they just ignore it, then you can guarantee that MS attempt at mobiles is destined for failure.

5-hole

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I really enjoy my 920. I have considered the trade-in that MS is offering but I'm not really sure I want to loose my 920. It still works but I am noticing some glitches. I hated my experience iPhone so that pushed me with Android and I grew to hate it as well. I wasted so much time and energy trying to find a launcher, skin, etc that was all compatible with all the radios and looked nice and it was aggravating, to say the least about it.

The Nokia 920 WP 8.1 was perfect for me - it just worked and I grew to really enjoy the live tiles. I freaking loved the weight of that beast and how it felt in my hand - LOVED it!! I didn't miss the lack of app's at all.

I don't really care about the 'app gap', I don't do social media but do enjoy instagram.

I travel a lot. I'm more interested in a nice camera, dual sim, memory (storage) and a long battery.

Hell, I think I'll just keep the 920 :eek:rly:

elgobuda

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I've been thinking about switching to Android or Apple for some time. But every time I think about it very hard, I realise that the grass is not greener on the other side. Looking at current Android phones some of which have 6GB RAM and processors with 10 cores, there is something wrong with that. This just gives the developers less incentive to make their apps memory efficient. Sure there are plenty more apps on Android, but I can live without them.

Apple? Well, I spent several years with an iPod as that was the only thing that supported lossless and gapless playback, but I don't see the benefit of being locked into iTunes.

Finally the UI, Android and Apple are pretty boring and they look very similar. Sure, you can customize Android, but I do not have the patience to customize everything that I would have to so that it answers my requirements. I do have an Android device that I used to evaluate whether it could be a serious replacement for me.

Windows for me is still the OS of choice. It is efficient. The customization doesn't take forever. It doesn't look as cluttered as iOS or Android. The built in music app supports FLAC, M4A and gapless.

For this reason I am on my 4th Lumia now. Started with L620, then L735, followed by L930 and now L950.

So in conclusion, I thought about it. But I would reap no benefits.

Last edited:

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I think its because ALOT of people don't agree that apple is the better product and ALOT of people like myself see through apples smoke and mirrors marketing.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ IMHO it's mostly about money. Only in the few places still hooked on carrier subsidies does that not apply. The cost of an iPhone drives most people towards Android. Only after taking the overpriced devices off the table do they consider which of the remaining devices best fit their needs.

kingbobyjr

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Given all the apps that Microsoft make for iOS and Android, anyone can pretty much Microsoft-ify any handset, and right there they can benefit from you being a customer of their services. You should see my Galaxy Tab. Installed all the MS stuff and disabled some of the Google stuff.

This is exactly what I did. I switched to a Galaxy S7 from a Lumia 735 and disabled most of the Google apps including Gmail, Google Drive, Chrome, Google Play Movies & TV, Google Play Music, & Google Photos. I still sync my Outlook.com email, use Onedrive, use Groove, & use the Office apps. So far so good as the S7 is lights years better than the 735.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
^ IMHO it's mostly about money. Only in the few places still hooked on carrier subsidies does that not apply. The cost of an iPhone drives most people towards Android. Only after taking the overpriced devices off the table do they consider which of the remaining devices best fit their needs.

Exactly. I found myself in the same position with this. Went with Android first because there was a promo that made it possible for me to get the 5x at a great discount (not as great as it is now, but eh). Trying an iPhone gave me pause because of the money, but I was lucky to find a used 5s at a nice price and "good" condition, which allowed for me to try that too.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
One thing thing that Android and Windows Phone have in common that iOS devices don't is the ability to at least send photos to any device via Bluetooth. This is makes Android an obvious choice for me, although obviously it isn't the only reason.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm reading around the internet that the Nexus 5X was pretty similar to Lumia 950 in terms of bugs and glitches and crashes and necessity to reboot. Is that true? How are things now?

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Re. "Burning platform." This isn't a life or death decision--not even close. If you consider it that way it is time to go cold turkey and get a flip phone. There is no need to "jump ship" if your phone is working for you and you are happy, but you may want to try out one of the other systems instead. Big deal. Phones are not an "investment" either. Choose one you like and can afford and use it until something better comes along.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I know someone currently using the Nexus 5X, and he also owns the 950. He says he has been disappointed how the Nexus has gotten more and more laggy on routine tasks. The Nexus takes decent photos, but the camera isn't as good as the 950s. In my experience things we consider "bugs" on Windows are considered normal operating procedure on Android. Every app on Android seems to have some feature that doesn't work quite right, or the settings don't let you do what you want, or there is no dark theme, or the performance is poor, etc., etc. I was surprised how many Android apps I tried that didn't work at all--no functionality.

Cloudscout

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
A couple weeks ago I said I was ditching my 950XL in favor of a Sony Xperia Z3 and I did. After two weeks, it's still bittersweet.

On the plus side, I have access to all the apps that weren't available on Windows. There weren't many that I really NEEDED but there are a few that are nice to have now, and others that existed on Windows but just didn't work very well:

• Uconnect - For my car's infotainment system... this lets me start my car from anywhere and send addresses directly to the SatNav in the car.
  • Sensi - For my home thermostat.
  • Cisco Jabber - My company's IM software.
  • Google Voice - I had ditched GV a while back but I still use my GV number whenever I need to list something on Craigslist.
  • Blue Iris - For my home security system. There was a third party app for Windows Phones but it didn't support SSL connections.
  • Garmin Connect - I was thrilled when Garmin said they were supporting Windows 10 Mobile but underlying problems with Windows and its Bluetooth stack made things incredibly unreliable.
  • OneDrive - I loved OneDrive on Windows Phone 8.1 but the Windows 10 Mobile version is utter garbage. Instead of instantly syncing new photos, it would often take 5 to 15 minutes and sometimes it just wouldn't sync them at all. Thankfully, the Android version is just as reliable as the WP8 version.
  • TuneIn Radio - The TuneIn Radio app went UWP back in December and they promptly removed the mobile version of the app. It looks like they FINALLY got it back in the day after I ditched Windows so I haven't had a chance to try it but I know that the Android version works well and is likely to continue being updated in a more timely manner.
  • Email - The mail client in WP8 wasn't perfect but I really liked it. I preferred it over any Android mail client. The new "Outlook" app in Windows 10 Mobile is an abomination, though. Microsoft has made a few incremental improvements to it over the last 6 months but it's still absolute garbage.

What do I really hate about switching back to Android?

• Icons - Seriously. Going back to Android with it's basic icons and clunky widgets feels like going back in time. The clean, organized concept of the tile interface was always one of my absolute favorite things about Windows Phones. It is, undeniably, the superior way to present applications and information on a phone's home screen. Everything else looks like a relic from the 1990s.
  • Package Tracker - This app is awesome. I love the fact that I could have the app on my Windows 8.x/10 PCs and phones and everything would sync between them. Now I'm stuck with Package Buddy on Android. If I want to check the status or add packages from my PC, I have to use a website. Not nearly as convenient.

That's it. That's all I miss. But it's enough. If Microsoft can make Windows 10 Mobile stable and reliable and if they can get more of the apps that I want onto their platform, I will switch back in a heartbeat because, really, Live Tiles alone are worth the price of admission.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Package Tracker - This app is awesome. I love the fact that I could have the app on my Windows 8.x/10 PCs and phones and everything would sync between them. Now I'm stuck with Package Buddy on Android. If I want to check the status or add packages from my PC, I have to use a website. Not nearly as convenient.

No app is necessary on Android. Google Now tracks packages automatically, as well as flights. (And it actually works! :wink: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes