Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Am I wrong or do most of the people that are planning on, or have jumped ship, lean predominantly towards Android? Edge now or wait 6 months for the next iteration of iPhone?

I finally jumped ship to an iPhone SE after being with Windows Phone exclusively since its launch in 2010. But maybe I'm in the minority...

scottinmd

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
**** I did it. No more windows phones. We swapped the last two in the family for different OS. One was replaced with an iPhone. The other for a Galaxy S7 Edge. No comparison. Both are much more functional, feature rich and just feel better than the 640XLs they replace. I was one of the die-hards. Not any more. :unhappy:

FurY2007

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I switched my Lumia 1020 to a Galaxy S7 last week and have been coming to grasps with Android due to the small differences in doing some things. MS should take not of how Skype works on Android and have it work likewise on Windows mobile before releasing their OS. No comparison possible, so much better on Android. That, and the several banking apps I can now use together with the usual Office applications, Outlook. It will take a much better OS to get me back to WM!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The deep integration with my Band 2 keeps me with my Icon. Unless MS brings the same integration to iPhone, I'll be staying on WP as long as possible.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Interesting article that makes a case for Microsoft switching to Android on their phones (if this is not the actual plan) since Windows phones with its 2% market share is beyond dead.

It's time for Microsoft to give up on Windows Phone and switch to Android | ZDNet

I think it's a great idea. Also dropping the whole Windows 10 thing would be great as well. They could make nice looking operating systems for PCs and laptops and let android handle the phone and utlra mobile devices OS. Also, allow people transparent and easy control of the OS updates and even make money with new OS releases from time to time. Their Window 8.1/10 OS has not done well on phones. Actually, it has done terribly in excelsis. It looks just as bad or worse on the PC imo. Seems like a lot of bad ideas came out from them during the past 7 years or so. Time to fix, move on and get smart.

You are correct in WP being dead. That has been a poisoned chalice for a while. I disagree with the dropping WM 10. Android may be the most popular, but most popular is a subjective matter. Most people I meet, and I meet a few in my working day, have no idea what android really offers. Android survives on large OEM's continuously releasing 'pretty' fashionable phones. If you took out one, let's say Samsung, being one of the biggest purveyors of devices, what would you have left? That is what keeps Android alive. Shiny new phones every 12 months. I would hazard a guess that a large percentage of users have no idea about the full potential of any device, be that a flagship or something that the fashionistas' would buy to look good in front of their mates.

At least the w10m OS will be cohesive with the entire W10 ecosystem, giving a cross device experience. I agree that it is not a finished product, it never will be. That's WaaS. Continuum is, at present, unique, and will only improve. MS taking a step back from the mobile world, after the debacle that was WP, and the myriad of devices, can only be a good thing. It gives time to develop, to asses, to improve, and then they have the breathing space to decide whether or not to continue with the mobile platform. With the array of OEMs jumping on board, this has to be seen as positive, if not damned miraculous!

I don't really see where the author of the item was going. People won't buy a Microsoft device on W10M, so how the heck do you persuade them to buy one with Android on it. The android market is already saturated. From what I've seen, the Priv isn't doing too well, and as we know, most of the world has heard of blackberry!

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
You are correct in WP being dead. That has been a poisoned chalice for a while. I disagree with the dropping WM 10. Android may be the most popular, but most popular is a subjective matter. Most people I meet, and I meet a few in my working day, have no idea what android really offers. Android survives on large OEM's continuously releasing 'pretty' fashionable phones. If you took out one, let's say Samsung, being one of the biggest purveyors of devices, what would you have left? That is what keeps Android alive. Shiny new phones every 12 months. I would hazard a guess that a large percentage of users have no idea about the full potential of any device, be that a flagship or something that the fashionistas' would buy to look good in front of their mates.

At least the w10m OS will be cohesive with the entire W10 ecosystem, giving a cross device experience. I agree that it is not a finished product, it never will be. That's WaaS. Continuum is, at present, unique, and will only improve. MS taking a step back from the mobile world, after the debacle that was WP, and the myriad of devices, can only be a good thing. It gives time to develop, to asses, to improve, and then they have the breathing space to decide whether or not to continue with the mobile platform. With the array of OEMs jumping on board, this has to be seen as positive, if not damned miraculous!

I don't really see where the author of the item was going. People won't buy a Microsoft device on W10M, so how the heck do you persuade them to buy one with Android on it. The android market is already saturated. From what I've seen, the Priv isn't doing too well, and as we know, most of the world has heard of blackberry!
The smartphone market is brutal.

The PRIV is overpriced (even BlackBerry CEO John Chen admits this) and suffers from distribution problems.

If it had been priced in the $500-$600 USD range and launched on all the major carriers in major markets simultaneously, it may have fared better.

BlackBerry is releasing a couple mid-range Androids this year. We'll see if they fare any better. If not, BlackBerry will likely exit the handset business.

Microsoft has loads more cash to throw at mobile, but they are wise to back off and reevaluate. I can't see them ditching Win10 mobile altogether but wouldn't be surprised if they offered an Android platform along side it.

SafeSchoolsCzar

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
What I already miss about my Icon....

So I'm on my 3rd day with my iPhone 6s Plus and I'm already missing my Icon. I actually kept it (no SIM) and it's loading .218 as I type this but I am having a little withdrawal and buyers remorse. My thoughts so far:

The good...

1. I love Apple pay and the wallet. I used it to buy a case (because iPhones are brittle little snowflakes) right after I set it up and I used Apple Pay to buy it. Very fast and very cool.

2. I have an updated version of Waze, my favorite app. Also I like Stitcher on my iPad so it's cool to have that again.

3. The Touch ID is amazingly fast to unlock the phone.

4. Nice having my banking app (PNC).

5. I've got pretty much all the MS apps (Office, CRM, Health, Groups, Skype for Business, OneNote, OneDrive & Outlook) and they all work fine though not as well integrated as before.

6. 3D Touch is actually a nice feature that I suspect will continue to get better.

7. I'm not a big app person and I'm an adult so I don't need things like Snapchat, but it is nice to have apps for pretty much everything.

The bad...
1. This thing is freaking HUGE, don't know how you 1520 folks do it.

2. I miss the tight integration with my Band 2.

3. Cortana is just an app as opposed to an integral part of the OS.

4. Safari really sucks.

5. I think the camera on the Icon blows it away.

6. Did I mention it's a brittle little snowflake?

7. Wordflow keyboard blows away IOS standard keyboard. I miss swiping. The 3rd party keyboards don't seem to work as well.

8. Had to get new chargers.

9. Just try putting a custom ringtone on it from a MP3, it's a 30 minute process and requires you to put iTunes on your desktop.

10. Pocket Bible (my most used app) uses pagination instead of scrolling. It's WAY better on Windows.

So there you have it folks. I really hope to be back someday but for the next year or two, I'll be on the dark side but I will NEVER be a Apple fan boy!

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The idea being I guess that Android is a far more user friendly, nice looking and functional tried and true OS with a way better developed app base...
Well, you got the "app base" part right. Seriously, IMHO Windows blows Android out of the water on the other things you mention, and you forgot security--oh, that's right, there is none to discuss on Android.

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
So you replaced a low to mid range Windows Phones (640XL) for an iPhone & Flagship Android devices. Of course apps are going to be better, but the hardware is miles better too, so I would expect both to be better even before boot up.

Last edited:

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
What I already miss about my Icon....

So I'm on my 3rd day with my iPhone 6s Plus and I'm already missing my Icon. I actually kept it (no SIM) and it's loading .218 as I type this but I am having a little withdrawal and buyers remorse. My thoughts so far:

The good...

1. I love Apple pay and the wallet. I used it to buy a case (because iPhones are brittle little snowflakes) right after I set it up and I used Apple Pay to buy it. Very fast and very cool.

2. I have an updated version of Waze, my favorite app. Also I like Stitcher on my iPad so it's cool to have that again.

3. The Touch ID is amazingly fast to unlock the phone.

4. Nice having my banking app (PNC).

5. I've got pretty much all the MS apps (Office, CRM, Health, Groups, Skype for Business, OneNote, OneDrive & Outlook) and they all work fine though not as well integrated as before.

6. 3D Touch is actually a nice feature that I suspect will continue to get better.

7. I'm not a big app person and I'm an adult so I don't need things like Snapchat, but it is nice to have apps for pretty much everything.

The bad...
1. This thing is freaking HUGE, don't know how you 1520 folks do it.

2. I miss the tight integration with my Band 2.

3. Cortana is just an app as opposed to an integral part of the OS.

4. Safari really sucks.

5. I think the camera on the Icon blows it away.

6. Did I mention it's a brittle little snowflake?

7. Wordflow keyboard blows away IOS standard keyboard. I miss swiping. The 3rd party keyboards don't seem to work as well.

8. Had to get new chargers.

9. Just try putting a custom ringtone on it from a MP3, it's a 30 minute process and requires you to put iTunes on your desktop.

10. Pocket Bible (my most used app) uses pagination instead of scrolling. It's WAY better on Windows.

So there you have it folks. I really hope to be back someday but for the next year or two, I'll be on the dark side but I will NEVER be a Apple fan boy!

I agree with everything you said when i bought a 6s plus when I jumped ship to iOS, but I just can't justify the price for how I am using it so I returned it for a SE. No more buyer's remorse lol. Also I take back what I said with iPhones camera. It sucks! I had to use my 950xl..

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, which features in particular do you depend on?

It's not that I "depend" on them but I like all the features the Band has with a WP. Example, you only get the keyboard in WP. Or the ability to speak my reply to a text. In addition to the 3rd party apps for the Band, FanBand being my favorite.

Last edited:

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
i'll also add that Cortana and wp work so much better with myford sync than our new androids. wp is really heads above android. In these darned androids settings are all over the place, driving me nuts!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
of course not.

The trendy thing is to bash the OS :p
It's happened since Windows Phone 7 and has been exacerbated with Windows 10.
Just a curious observation to make here. All these gentle folks trying to make their android home screens resemble WP/WM start screens, who are investing all the many man hours into customising them down to the T to the WM/WP experience, and dealing with all the subsequent issues of it all happily. Did they really invest the same amount of effort into coping with the WM/WP issues without complaining?

Just a thought I'm throwing out there. I have no stake in the argument per se otherwise, or issues with anyone's choice of platforms - I'm all for pro choice and respecting that. But this just made me wonder, is the criticism of the platform really justified after something like this?

*Fingers crossed I dont start a flame war.*

-- W

abel46

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I have been a WP user since I got my first smart mobile 2011. (I had a Qtec that was kind of smart before.)
Now I think it's the right time to try something different, but should I go for iOS or Android? My current phone is a Lumia 930 upgraded to Windows 10, but I'm not that happy with the upgrade. I think WP 8.1 was better in my view anyway.

As I understand if I go for an iOS (Apple) phone, it will be easy to use for some task, but very difficult for other task. Android is more open as I understand, and I can connect it with a cable to my Windows 10 PC and transfer files, pictures, film-clips and so one easy? But I have also heard that after a while all Android Phones get slow, is that right?
I live in Norway, so we have not your problem with operator. I can buy the phone and use any operator that I like.

Some advice would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99